Cheapest place to buy Gillette Razor Blades? Page 3

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• ecureuil 18 Feb 2011 16:37:29 76,534 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pfft.. just grow a beard like a real man.
  • kingnothing12 18 Feb 2011 16:43:43 540 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I use one of these Braun electric razor

it's pretty much half price at amazon, has it's own cleaning unit and gets a really close shave for an electric shaver.
  • GeezaTap 18 Feb 2011 17:45:09 289 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just bought a Gilette Fusion Proglide for 5 in Superdrug.

Dunno if it's any good or not though.

I suck at shaving - I really should do it more than once every 7-10 days.
  • Deleted user 18 February 2011 17:52:03
    I've just switched from mach 3 to Wilkinson Titanium Precision. Here - http://www.wilkinsonsword.co.uk/men/showroom/quattro_titanium_precision There was a pack of offer in Netto for 6. Razor (with clipper like thing on end for beards, sideburns etc and 5 blades. So far I've had the first blade on for 2 week, double the length of time I had a Mach 3 blade on for. So far so good!
  • boo 7 Mar 2011 16:16:33 11,706 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Do you really need all that extra mcguffin unless you're going for Midge Ure style sideburns, circa 1983?

Just Another Lego Blog

• henro_ben 28 Mar 2011 13:16:20 2,211 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This looks like the right thread...

I've just picked up a 1940's saftey razor for the princely sum of 6 or so, as I'm sick of using Bic's - one of these and I'm wondering if there's any particular make of blade I should get, or are the actual razor blades all much the same?
  • Jeepers 28 Mar 2011 13:28:11 13,173 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Quite a difference in blades, I'd say. You could always try a sample pack to find out which you prefer. I've ended up with Feather blades which are fantastically sharp, but I also liked the Merkur and Red Persona as well.

Part of the (slightly nerdish, I'll admit!) fun of DE shaving is trying new stuff - so get out there and experiment.

Have you got a brush and decent cream yet?
  • henro_ben 28 Mar 2011 13:42:05 2,211 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah... those sample packs look like a good idea, will order one and see what suits.

Yes, have got an old brush & some shaving cream, although I'm almost out - any recomendations? Need to get some more stuff as I managed to pick up a 1946 leather wash kit, complete with all sorts of curious chrome recepticles + brushes - would be quite nice to actually use it - hence getting the razor, have a special little box for both it and the blades ;-)
  • billythekid 28 Mar 2011 13:48:58 11,034 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    henro_ben wrote:
    Ah... those sample packs look like a good idea, will order one and see what suits.

Yes, have got an old brush & some shaving cream, although I'm almost out - any recomendations? Need to get some more stuff as I managed to pick up a 1946 leather wash kit, complete with all sorts of curious chrome recepticles + brushes - would be quite nice to actually use it - hence getting the razor, have a special little box for both it and the blades ;-)

Why all the 1940's stuff? You got something like this going on?
  • ModishNouns 28 Mar 2011 13:51:39 4,654 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    henro_ben wrote:

Or something like this going on.
  • MetalDog 28 Mar 2011 13:52:00 23,708 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't understand why you guys don't just buy cutthroat razors instead. Give the finger to the people selling you 5p razors and plastic for nine quid and gain +10 manliness points into the bargain.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• billythekid 28 Mar 2011 13:53:32 11,034 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pfft. Clue's in the name, cut-throat.
    No thanks.
  • henro_ben 28 Mar 2011 13:54:46 2,211 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    billythekid wrote:

Just like the style from that time, although I tend to go more for the late 40's - 50's stuff rather than war things. Am starting to develop a fairly large selection of 50's suits and ties though - might have to have a clear out soon :-(
  • Jeepers 28 Mar 2011 14:12:41 13,173 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    I don't understand why you guys don't just buy cutthroat razors instead. Give the finger to the people selling you 5p razors and plastic for nine quid and gain +10 manliness points into the bargain.

Time and space really. A good shave with a cutthroat will take longer than a DE shave (which will take the same time - more-or-less - as a shave with a Gillette or whatnot) unless you're very practiced with it.

Also, if you shave with a cutthroat you're going to need a strop and in a bathroom as small as mine, that's a logistical problem :)

Henro - for a day-to-day cream I go with Proraso. For a nice, lazy Sunday shave I use Taylor of Old Bond Street cream (followed off with some Geo. F. Trumper skin food, of course!).
  • henro_ben 28 Mar 2011 15:39:35 2,211 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    Quite a difference in blades, I'd say. You could always try a sample pack to find out which you prefer. I've ended up with Feather blades which are fantastically sharp, but I also liked the Merkur and Red Persona as well.

Just realised that company is based about 3 mins drive from where I work - but of course they only sell online and don't allow collections. Typical!
  • henro_ben 6 Apr 2011 20:43:15 2,211 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My 1948 Gillette Milord razor arrived today - have just given it a test run. Awesome shave, I didn't think it'd make that much difference but it was a whole new experience - no nicks, no razor burn, no missed bits or 'plucking' of hairs. Really close shave, even using the cheapo razor blades I found at Sainsbury's!

Need to order a sample pack of proper blades now I guess. The razor came with some Gillette 'Blue' blades which I have no desire to use - I think they're from the 50's and are seriously rusty!

Big thumbs up for safety razors though, lovely bit of kit.
  • oceanmotion 19 Dec 2012 20:50:57 15,668 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just a little less than extortionate.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gillete-Fusion-ProGlide-Blades-8-Pack/dp/B008BH9CW6/

Even less with subscribe and save which I suspect you just cancel afterwards.
  • mrpon 19 Dec 2012 20:59:03 28,494 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A three pack of Gillette Mach 3 disposables lasts me about 6 months. About a fiver.

Edited by mrpon at 20:59:31 19-12-2012

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• FuzzyDuck 20 Dec 2012 20:15:04 3,929 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Jesus, I forgot how ridiculously overpriced cartridge blades are since I moved over to a safety razor.

I use 1 of these per shave, clean as a whistle.
  • PearOfAnguish 20 Dec 2012 20:26:52 7,151 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That is ridiculous.

DE shaving is the way to go. 5-6 for a pack of ten, and that's buying the posh ones. If you want to be extravagant you can use one per shave but for me a single blade lasts a few weeks.
  • FuzzyDuck 20 Dec 2012 20:42:55 3,929 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Haha, I should point out that I only shave once per week!

What kind of razor/blades do you use Pear? I use the blades I linked to, Gillette 7 O'Clocks (the green ones) and Feathers (not as sharp as they're made out to be!). My razor is the Muhle R89, which is a lovely piece of kit.
  • Load_2.0 20 Dec 2012 20:48:23 18,948 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I need some Gillette fusions cut me up some nonces!
  • smoothpete 20 Dec 2012 21:01:41 31,362 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    boo wrote:40 blades lasts me well over 6 months.
    Jesus, are you made of hair?

I've probably mentioned it before but the gilette factory is right near my house, and in previous years you would get offered razor blades in the street like drugs. Actually I wish I could get drugs that easily. I bought 80 Mach 3 blades for 15 once.
  • PearOfAnguish 20 Dec 2012 22:24:23 7,151 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    Haha, I should point out that I only shave once per week!

What kind of razor/blades do you use Pear? I use the blades I linked to, Gillette 7 O'Clocks (the green ones) and Feathers (not as sharp as they're made out to be!). My razor is the Muhle R89, which is a lovely piece of kit.
    Normally use Merkur blades, but recently got some Feather's to try out. They seem fine but can't say I can tell the difference.

Razor is a Merkur 23c.
  • kentmonkey 20 Dec 2012 22:33:38 20,451 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm very tempted to go down the DE shaving route. Slightly paranoid about cutting my skin to shit (I have VERY sensitive soft skin, and I cut like a bastard using Gilette/King of Shave three-piece blades) but I'm fed up of paying over the top for blades. So expensive.
  • Futaba 21 Dec 2012 00:22:45 3,462 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bought a pack of 11 Gillette Fusion blades with a razor included for 20 from Savers a few weeks ago. They had a pack of 15 Mach 3 blades for the same price but I needed the Fusion precision razor because I always getting annoying to reach hairs under my nostrils.

Edited by Futaba at 00:23:00 21-12-2012

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• ILoveThrashMetal 21 Dec 2012 07:52:13 670 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm gonna spread the lidl's love.
    They do some triple blades razors,half the price and a better shave than Gillette.

Arsechickens

• MadCaddy13 21 Dec 2012 07:59:52 1,858 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The cheapest I've seen of Gillette razer blades is on the floor of the game shop I worked at a couple o years ago. Free! :p
  • PearOfAnguish 21 Dec 2012 09:04:48 7,151 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    I'm very tempted to go down the DE shaving route. Slightly paranoid about cutting my skin to shit (I have VERY sensitive soft skin, and I cut like a bastard using Gilette/King of Shave three-piece blades) but I'm fed up of paying over the top for blades. So expensive.
    I get fewer nicks with a DE than I used to with the crappy cartridges. You just have to learn a different technique, angle the blade right and don't push down, let the sharp edge do the work. If it starts to feel uncomfortable or catches your skin then you know it's time to change the blade, but they're so inexpensive you can chuck them after one use.

It's far, far better for sensitive skin as well. Apparently cartridge razors are designed to lift the hairs before they cut, which is why they get such a smooth shave, but this also increases the chances of irritation and infection when it exposes the hair follicle.
  • mattigan 21 Dec 2012 10:44:40 1,429 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I second this, you just need to pay attention when shaving with a safety razor, I would recommend them to anyone, you can pick one up dirt cheap on eBay to try out for about 15-20 with blades then if you get on with it decide if you want to upgrade to more serious kit.

I'm currently using a Merkur Futur (40) with feather blades, sounds dear i know, but that 40 will probably last 20 years or more and with blades coming in at around 15-20 a year I reckon I'm already in profit vs cartridge razors. I have already converted several work colleagues and none have looked back!

My only regret is that I didn't realise there was another way sooner, sooo much wasted money!
  • Page

of 4 First / Last