PlayTV on the PS3

• Page

of 18 First / Last

Previous
  • Kitt-FDUK 23 Aug 2007 08:45:31 395 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've never gotten round to getting a dvd recorder or hardrive for the TV. Anyone thing PlayTV on the PS3 will be any good?

SCE UK Press Vault says:

"PlayTV - the software that turns PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) into a Personal Video Recorder."

"...recording a programme whilst watching another, simply recording a entire series1 at the touch of a button or for watching programmes on the go via remote play on PSP"

*Two High Definition-ready TV tuners: both able to view, record and play TV in High Definition as well as standard definition.

*Electronic Programme Guide2: user-friendly, seven-day interface, that provides the navigation for programming the PVR features of PlayTV

*Compatibility: PlayTV operates on the widely available Digital Video Broadcasting – Terrestrial (DVB-T) format.

*Easy to use: Intuitive controls, single button help features, tutorial videos and simple navigation

*Optional on-screen graphical display provides information about the status of PlayTV and provides quick access to programme information, stored TV programmes and the controls to pause or record live TV.

*PlayTV sets the correct interface for either Standard Definition or High Definition displays

*Portable viewing with PSP: Seamless PSP connectivity allows you to set recordings, watch Live TV and recorded TV programmes remotely on the PSP via a WiFi connection (using Remote Play feature) – or you can transfer video files to your PSP via USB cable.

*PlayTV will evolve with time – with new features added and updated via PLaystation Network.

• Carlo 23 Aug 2007 08:51:18 17,989 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ¨.recording a programme whilst watching another,¨ = twin tuners, so that's good, and they are the new High Def one's.

EPG, Essential IMO. So that's another positive. Does it let you record an entire series (as an option) though? That makes it REALLY usefull. No answer to that so far.

If you put the PS3 in standby, does it 'wake up' to record?
    If you are playing a game, does it record?

PSN ID: Djini

• Blerk Moderator 23 Aug 2007 08:52:26 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    More completely pointless functionality from Sony. They really need to get their heads out of their arses. Sigh.
  • mcmonkeyplc 23 Aug 2007 08:57:11 39,412 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This is just for the masses and I gurantee the PS3 will sell shit loads cause of this.

Good move sony..

You now have a media centre with the ability to play games.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Blerk Moderator 23 Aug 2007 08:59:29 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    This is just for the masses and I gurantee the PS3 will sell shit loads cause of this.
    Why? Considering you can get a Freeview box that does the exact same stuff for £100.
  • Scurrminator 23 Aug 2007 09:01:12 8,395 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i don't think it's pointless, it's good added functionality that i'd definately use if i had one - it wouldn't make me buy one, but i'd definately use it.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• mcmonkeyplc 23 Aug 2007 09:04:35 39,412 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Why? Considering you can get a Freeview box that does the exact same stuff for £100.

Convergence.

Johnny wants a PS3 to play games (ha) but mum and dad think it's a waste of money. Wait a second, it acts as a freeview box, PVR and bluray player.

Wow we dont need to buy anything else, sold!

• Blerk Moderator 23 Aug 2007 09:05:11 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You do need to buy something else, though - that TV tuner's not going to be free, y'know.
  • SuperZ 23 Aug 2007 09:08:02 1,018 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does that mean you'll have to have a TV Licence to own a PS3?
  • Machetazo 23 Aug 2007 09:11:20 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    EPG, Essential IMO. So that's another positive. Does it let you record an entire series (as an option) though? That makes it REALLY usefull. No answer to that so far.
    There is, on Threespeech. It will, but only in the UK, so far as has been announced.
  • Carlo 23 Aug 2007 09:11:21 17,989 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Having all these things on 1 unit is the big seller for me.

I can put the video recorder, DVD player, freeview box, blu ray, and Media center away, and just have the PS3 under my TV.

• Carlo 23 Aug 2007 09:13:08 17,989 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Can you give me a link to the £100 PVR that has twin HD tuners and EPG? I might buy one.

• mcmonkeyplc 23 Aug 2007 09:13:29 39,412 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    Having all these things on 1 unit is the big seller for me.

I can put the video recorder, DVD player, freeview box, HD DVD, and Media center away, and just have the PS3 under my TV.

Point proven.

Carlo = mass market.

• X201 23 Aug 2007 09:13:55 15,228 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Given how flaky a Freeview signal can become with just a bit of bad weather it'll be interesting to see how it works on something that is hand held.

• Blerk Moderator 23 Aug 2007 09:15:34 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    Blerk wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Can you give me a link to the £100 PVR that has twin HD tuners and EPG? I might buy one.
    Oh ye of little faith!

Edit: There are more.
  • Carlo 23 Aug 2007 09:17:04 17,989 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    /just phoned my dad who's desperate for this type of PVR.

I think hes going to Maplin today.

• mcmonkeyplc 23 Aug 2007 09:17:06 39,412 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Carlo wrote:
    Blerk wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Oh ye of little faith!

Someone give the RTfusionFVRT90 the same marketing budget as the PS3 stat!

• morriss 23 Aug 2007 09:24:14 70,918 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    More completely pointless functionality from Sony. They really need to get their heads out of their arses. Sigh.

+1

Some needs to whispers, "games machine, games machine" whilst the CEO's sleep.
  • Balboa 23 Aug 2007 09:24:32 442 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Oh ye of little faith!

That's not a twin tuner, chief ;)

But yeah, there's loads of them out there. Maybe not for £100, but not much more.
  • kalel 23 Aug 2007 09:25:03 86,809 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The only thing that really interests me is the PSP stuff. I like the idea of quickly and easily transferring my recorded programs onto my PSP to watch on the move. Other than that it's functionality I already have.
  • Carlo 23 Aug 2007 09:27:21 17,989 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Balboa wrote:
    Blerk wrote:
    Oh ye of little faith!

That's not a twin tuner, chief ;)
    And do they decrypt HD Freeview?

• X201 23 Aug 2007 09:29:16 15,228 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disc wrote:
    X201 wrote:
    Given how flaky a Freeview signal can become with just a bit of bad weather it'll be interesting to see how it works on something that is hand held.

Uhm the PlayTV is connected to the PS3 and the signal is sent to your PSP via Wifi.

Ah, only skimmed through story... as is probably now obvious to all. :)

• Balboa 23 Aug 2007 09:35:31 442 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    And do they decrypt HD Freeview?

Well, there's the rub - finding a box that has twin HD tuners, HDMI, large enough hard drive...

If you have a PS3 I think a PlayTV could be a no-brainer, as the console provides 2 thirds of the functionality already. Really depends on how much it's going to be.
  • Kitt-FDUK 23 Aug 2007 09:44:33 395 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    Does it let you record an entire series (as an option) though? That makes it REALLY usefull. No answer to that so far.

Yes it does :)
  • allen 23 Aug 2007 09:52:44 657 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    don't forget the bskyb partnership if thats your thing
  • theleedslads 23 Aug 2007 10:29:02 450 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seems pointless for me.

Got sky + downstairs

and upstairs ive got XBOX 360 + Windows media connect recording + playing back TV.

Not really anything new this, and im sure Windows Media connect & SKY + / Virgin is far superior to Sonys version.
  • gareth886 23 Aug 2007 10:32:25 2,841 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    If you put the PS3 in standby, does it 'wake up' to record?
    If you are playing a game, does it record?

I think these are 2 very important questions. I wonder have they been answered yet? Especially the second question.
  • Jos 23 Aug 2007 10:34:08 709 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's a really great ADDITION to the PS/3 offering.

It isn't going to stop development of games.

It's going to make PS/3 a more likely family purchase increasing user base making publishers more likely to make games.

Why the negativity?

HDMI, HD source ready upscaling SD twin tuner - there aren't any dedicated PVR's on the market that do that yet.

Hard drive is user upgradable if need be. Not many PVR's allow that.

Allows remote access and streaming via net. None of the PVR's do that.

Upgrades via PSnetwork will be a lot less painful than over the air nonesense.

Yeah, it's tangential to the games, but I just don't get why people moan at extensions to functionality. It's like they think that Sony has halted all work on games to produce this. Bizarre logic.
  • mcmonkeyplc 23 Aug 2007 10:35:09 39,412 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Did anyone notice how I killed the Lord of the rings is racist thread!

I'm great!

Oh and MS need to get info released about their IPTV bullshit so I can compare.

I like comparing. How big is yours?

• pjmaybe 23 Aug 2007 10:37:36 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cost is the factor here. With the cost of dedicated PVRs coming down all the time, and the performance of those being a durned sight better than the Sony stuff sounds, it's really just another case of "Why bother?"

Sony didn't learn their lessons from the PS-X obviously. The emphasis at Leipzig should've been on games, the bloody thing's called a PLAYstation after all. How about giving us something to PLAY on it!

Peej
  • Page

of 18 First / Last

Previous