The Official Metal Appreciation ThreadŽ Page 289

• Page

of 291 First / Last

• OllyJ 24 Jul 2014 15:51:05 3,265 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    hahaha joking aside, Halford is awesome. He's so fucking metal he just can't let it go!
  • Juz 24 Jul 2014 16:22:16 141 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OllyJ wrote:
    hahaha joking aside, Halford is awesome. He's so fucking metal he just can't let it go!
    I agree; the embodiment of metal.

Though...I did see a gig of theirs on Sky Arts recently, and he just kinda stood there, hunched over, and kinda croaked out his stuff.

Bit like when I saw a vid of W.A.S.P. semi-recently...hello fat boys!!!

PSN: Juzzer

• cheeky_prawnking 24 Jul 2014 17:05:43 4,574 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I like that gig, wish it was released on CD.

The one with a slow version of Diamonds & Rust isn't?

Priest in the East I think it is called.
  • Juz 24 Jul 2014 20:09:00 141 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @cheeky_prawnking

I dunno...sure it was on Sky Arts. His voice sounded ready to fuckin give up, frankly.

Still love their live album with the bronze cover. Fuck I love Judas Priest. Probably the most consistent of metal bands IMHO.

• cheeky_prawnking 24 Jul 2014 20:11:39 4,574 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I prefer unleashed in the east, to priest live. Something about the production is lacking for me.
  • Juz 24 Jul 2014 20:18:38 141 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's the one that always got dubbed "Unleashed in the Studio" innit? Think most of those 80's "live" metal albums were heavily fucked with.

• cheeky_prawnking 24 Jul 2014 20:23:55 4,574 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah by all accounts was just a couple of vocals, Rob was unwell during the recording.

Live just seems such a thin sound, expect a metal gig to be bombastic.

A Touch of Evil isn't a bad live album if you haven't heard it.

I never touched the Ripper era so can't comment on those.

Edited by cheeky_prawnking at 20:24:23 24-07-2014
  • FuzzyDuck 27 Jul 2014 13:36:21 4,127 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anyone giving the new Opeth a go? It's certainly better than Heritage.

Very different sounding to their classic releases, but it sounds fresh and like they're enjoying themselves. And Axe has to be one of the most underrated drummers in metal.
  • Megapocalypse 27 Jul 2014 15:33:28 5,421 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Listening now, and whilst it seems better than Heritage, it is a shame that Mikael has moved away from growling vocals. He was one of the best in metal. :(
  • Juz 31 Jul 2014 10:11:52 141 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Am I gonna get laughed at for saying that I listened to "Stairway To Hell" by Ugly Kid Joe and found it pretty fucking good?

• GuiltySpark 31 Jul 2014 11:00:22 6,385 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Megapocalypse wrote:
    Listening now, and whilst it seems better than Heritage, it is a shame that Mikael has moved away from growling vocals. He was one of the best in metal. :(
    Him and the dude out of Swallow the Sun are the only bands where I can enjoy the growling and not wish that they were singing instead.

Get bent.

• DrStrangelove 31 Jul 2014 17:56:50 3,947 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Can't decide which of the two does better.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 18:05:06 31-07-2014
  • OllyJ 5 Aug 2014 09:20:19 3,265 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bloodstock this weekend! Who's going?? EG meet?
  • warlockuk 6 Aug 2014 01:18:14 19,163 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As usual, I'll be there. See you there, man!

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• ILoveThrashMetal 6 Aug 2014 08:29:37 721 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Nope unfortunately but am seeing high on fire on Saturday.

Arsechickens

• ILoveThrashMetal 6 Aug 2014 08:29:43 721 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Whoops double post, apologies

Edited by ILoveThrashMetal at 08:30:31 06-08-2014

Arsechickens

• thelzdking 7 Aug 2014 09:32:31 4,367 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If anyone sees someone wearing an obviously home-made t-shirt which says "shite t-shirts for shite" people on the back of it, then that's me.
  • DUFFKING 7 Aug 2014 22:16:22 7,257 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    If anyone sees someone wearing an obviously home-made t-shirt which says "shite t-shirts for shite" people on the back of it, then that's me.
    Are you gunning for this by any chance?
  • OllyJ 11 Aug 2014 10:47:18 3,265 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bloodstock was "good" but to be totally honest I was fatigued with it all this year, Maybe it was the bezerk weather, mainly I just felt like I was reliving Bloodstocks of the past rather than enjoying a new one, so many, SO MANY bands had played before it was mental.

Plus they got rid of the nice little shisha/chai tea chill out tent and that sucked. you need a place to go and get away from it all!!

considering giving next year a miss.
  • GuiltySpark 11 Aug 2014 10:53:21 6,385 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    OllyJ wrote:
    so many, SO MANY bands had played before it was mental.
    I guess this is the problem with a festival with such a narrow pool of bands to choose from. There is always the odd band which I'd love to see at Bloodstock, but my taste just doesn't go far enough into those genres to warrant buying a ticket.

Get bent.

• OllyJ 11 Aug 2014 12:05:14 3,265 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah I know, it was just it seemed more blatant this year more than any other. I normally just enjoy it regardless but gotta say it dragged a bit for me, was quite thankful to get home and clean!
  • warlockuk 11 Aug 2014 14:12:29 19,163 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    I saw that but hadn't seen this post otherwise I'd have said hello.
    OllyJ wrote:
    Bloodstock was "good" but to be totally honest I was fatigued with it all this year, Maybe it was the bezerk weather, mainly I just felt like I was reliving Bloodstocks of the past rather than enjoying a new one, so many, SO MANY bands had played before it was mental.

Plus they got rid of the nice little shisha/chai tea chill out tent and that sucked. you need a place to go and get away from it all!!

considering giving next year a miss.
    Wasn't that Mr. Teas? Not camping in Midgard this year made it like a new festival for us tbh. So much less bullshit.
    How about something European like With Full Force?

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Beetroot_Bertie 11 Aug 2014 15:15:14 294 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
  • OllyJ 11 Aug 2014 18:17:01 3,265 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:

Wasn't that Mr. Teas? Not camping in Midgard this year made it like a new festival for us tbh. So much less bullshit.
    How about something European like With Full Force?
    No it was the massive one called Alternative TENTacles or something, loads of pillows and proper shisha things. Was a great chill out area and somewhat of a Thursday night ritual. Mr. Teas was pretty decent though!

I'm just going to see what the line up is next year, if Judas Priest play then i'll go!! A lot of people on the forums moaning about the VIP toilets saying they were worse than the site ones!!

Edited by OllyJ at 18:17:42 11-08-2014
  • DrStrangelove 11 Aug 2014 19:29:49 3,947 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I just found this, black metal from Saudi Arabia. Nothing's impossible, I guess.

• Defecationqueen 11 Aug 2014 20:12:58 550 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    I just found this, black metal from Saudi Arabia. Nothing's impossible, I guess.

It beats the usual mewling middle-class mother's boys Black Metal bands that harp on about Christianity, I suppose. At least this band has balls. The music is shit, though.
  • warlockuk 11 Aug 2014 20:42:15 19,163 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    OllyJ wrote:
    I'm just going to see what the line up is next year, if Judas Priest play then i'll go!! A lot of people on the forums moaning about the VIP toilets saying they were worse than the site ones!!
    Yeah! They were frequently blocked. And there weren't that many of them. Just mental. I found the ones next to the main stage were always clean. Even on the last night of the festival when you'd expect a vertical swamp.

Defecationqueen wrote:
    DrStrangelove wrote:

It beats the usual mewling middle-class mother's boys Black Metal bands that harp on about Christianity, I suppose. At least this band has balls. The music is shit, though.
    Obligatory:

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• DrStrangelove 11 Aug 2014 20:49:10 3,947 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Defecationqueen wrote:

The music is shit, though.
    Hence it's pretty good at being true black metal :)
  • Roddles 13 Aug 2014 09:27:31 1,897 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lacuna Coil tickets have just gone on sale today.

http://www.kililive.com/artists/lacuna-coil

I'll be at the London show.
  • Megapocalypse 17 Aug 2014 11:04:59 5,421 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Been listening to Opeth - Heritage again, trying to get into it after enjoying the leak of Pale Communion but I just can't. Its so boring. I appreciate what they're trying to do, but it just hasn't worked here. The only good part of the whole album is the last couple of minutes of Folklore and that sounds nothing like Opeth past or present.

Time for some Morningrise.
  • Page

of 291 First / Last