The Official Metal Appreciation ThreadŽ Page 242

• Page

of 284 First / Last

• buggrit 8 Sep 2012 15:59:03 5,178 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    rodpad wrote:
    Right you fellow smelly metal chaps.

I bought maybe 5 albums in as many years. I can't find anything I'm interested in these days.

Can anybody recommend something with a Groove Metal sound, ie Pantera and the first two Machine Head albums?

Thrash wise all I listen to it Testament these days really (the new album was their first I actually disliked).

Ta!
    There isn't really a great deal in that vein around of late, for better or worse. You might get something out of Sylosis maybe?
  • Syrette 13 Sep 2012 18:46:54 41,809 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    New VOD full album stream!

http://spotlight.metalhammer.co.uk/

• buggrit 14 Sep 2012 08:47:41 5,178 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    New VOD full album stream!

http://spotlight.metalhammer.co.uk/
    Speaking of which - I have ended up with a spare ticket for their show in London tonight. Face value/a few beers if anyone wants it.
  • BillMurray 15 Sep 2012 01:48:38 7,235 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago

SO GOOOD!
  • StixxUK 19 Sep 2012 16:38:37 7,170 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    OK, Neurosis are playing in London soon and I haven't ever really listened to them but know they'd be right up my tree.

In what order should I assign my time to their albums? :-D
  • warlockuk 19 Sep 2012 17:03:09 19,101 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can you run your time backwards? :D

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• ILoveThrashMetal 19 Sep 2012 19:18:10 553 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    OK, Neurosis are playing in London soon and I haven't ever really listened to them but know they'd be right up my tree.

In what order should I assign my time to their albums? :-D
    Through silver in blood is a corker . As is times of grace. Personally I prefer their older stuff just seems more powerful. I wouldn't listen to them when you're feeling a bit down, can be quite depressing and makes me angry!! First album I got into was souls at zero which is their third album I think followed by enemy of the sun.
    You would not regret seeing them live i guarantee!

Arsechickens

• Beetroot_Bertie 19 Sep 2012 21:35:19 277 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    'Through Silver in Blood' is awesome! It was my first Neurosis album and was a bit special. Dense and depressive at times but with an earthly natural disaster feel (at least that's how it sounds to me). And it has bagpipes.
  • ILoveThrashMetal 19 Sep 2012 23:33:42 553 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Also Neurosis have a side project called Tribes of Neurot.
    They relesed an album called silver blood transmission at the same time as through silver in blood.Both can be played separately or together at the same time for some truly weird post apocalyptic shit!!

Arsechickens

• ILoveThrashMetal 19 Sep 2012 23:39:42 553 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcOXLep3ZEs&feature=related
    Ahha! found what is probably my favorite song of theirs

Arsechickens

• lucky_jim 21 Sep 2012 18:49:55 5,161 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Top 7 Most Metal Science Fiction Premises

Science fiction, metal, and a list. That's ALL the awesomes!
  • Megapocalypse 21 Sep 2012 18:55:07 5,228 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    See Star One for all your sci-fi metal needs. :D

• Syrette 21 Sep 2012 19:23:40 41,809 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    New Revocation tune!

http://www.metalinjection.net/av/new-revocation-song-2012

Free EP out next week. Soooooo good.

• monkehhh 22 Sep 2012 16:39:00 3,125 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So, my mates went down the woods and shot a video for their band..
  • Deleted user 25 September 2012 15:44:06
    Damn, the new As I Lay Dying album fucking blows. So utterly cringe worthy.

Maybe ive just grown out of Metalcore. Killswitch Engage and Unearth remain the only bands from the genre that I still have some form of interest in, and its only for the fact that Jesse Leach is back with KSE that I still care.
  • warlockuk 25 Sep 2012 16:25:42 19,101 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AILD are an utterly terrible band. I guess in part I can't get on with Metalcore 'cos I got on well with my parents, but they've always struck me as completely boring wank.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Deleted user 25 September 2012 16:47:33
    I used to listen to a lot of Metalcore back when I was younger, so there a bit of a nostalgic pull going on, but I was honestly grimacing while listening to AILD today.

I wouldnt say their an utterly terrible band though (well, they never used to be), I still think An Ocean Between Us is a very good album and a positive representation of Metalcore.
  • kingnothing12 25 Sep 2012 16:54:26 519 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TearYouAsunder wrote:
    Damn, the new As I Lay Dying album fucking blows. So utterly cringe worthy.

Maybe ive just grown out of Metalcore. Killswitch Engage and Unearth remain the only bands from the genre that I still have some form of interest in, and its only for the fact that Jesse Leach is back with KSE that I still care.
    Second this, been trying to get into it and apart from a bout 2 songs it's really crap, these gay ass cringe worthy choruses are strung through most of the album.

I'm still really looking forward to the new kse album, going from that leaked song it should be good. Also there is some decent samples of 'sylosis's new album on itunes and that sounds bloody brilliant.
  • thelzdking 25 Sep 2012 17:52:25 3,955 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Unbroken, Rorschach and Ringworm are truly great metal/hardcore hybrids, not sure if you'd describe any of them as "metalcore".
  • Razz 27 Sep 2012 19:41:51 59,994 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Love this, reminds me a bit of Trvium

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• Syrette 27 Sep 2012 19:50:45 41,809 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    I guess in part I can't get on with Metalcore 'cos I got on well with my parents.
    Not being funny but what does that even mean?

'Metalcore' (dislike that term) is for kids? If not that, what?

Edited by Syrette at 19:53:34 27-09-2012

• Tuffty 1 Oct 2012 10:52:46 1,392 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Funny reading this recent discussion cause I only got into As I Lay Dying very recently, so recent that I listened to An Ocean Between Us for the first time over the weekend. I like it a lot. I see metalcore tends to get a bit of a bad rep, for whatever reason. I dunno, I'm no music expert by any means, I can't compare or distinguish between bands or genres, nor do I really want to because any time I read a debate between sub-genres or which band belongs to which genre, nobdy comes across well. I just really prefer that kind of metal above anything else. The right side of screaming and clean vocals and heavy, fast riffs is what I like listening to the most lately.

Seeing as I am a bit of a newbie does anyone have any other band recommendations for me if I really like listening to AILD or KSE?

warlockuk wrote:
    AILD are an utterly terrible band. I guess in part I can't get on with Metalcore 'cos I got on well with my parents, but they've always struck me as completely boring wank.
    Sorry...what?

Edited by Tuffty at 11:00:44 01-10-2012
  • Deleted user 1 October 2012 12:44:28
    Tuffty wrote:

Seeing as I am a bit of a newbie does anyone have any other band recommendations for me if I really like listening to AILD or KSE?
    Off the top of my head:

Times Of Grace - The Hymn Of A Broken Man
    Unearth - The Oncoming Storm
    All That Remains - The Fall Of Ideals
    Trivium - Ascendancy
  • Tuffty 1 Oct 2012 12:46:23 1,392 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh I know of Times Of Grace, one of my favourite albums, ever. Cheers for the other recommendations, I'll check them out.

Yes even Trivium for the craic lol...
  • Deleted user 1 October 2012 12:52:16
    Tuffty wrote:
    Oh I know of Times Of Grace, one of my favourite albums, ever. Cheers for the other recommendations, I'll check them out.

Yes even Trivium for the craic lol...
    No problem, check out the band Threat Signal too.
  • wobbly_Bob 1 Oct 2012 21:15:42 1,436 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was gonna start a thread but saw this thread.

I know I'm pobably gonna be so uncool and everybody has heard of them, but just discovered Run from Robots! Great stuff! So much energy. They are seriously rockin.

Anybody else know them/like them?

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 22:29:06 01-10-2012
  • warlockuk 1 Oct 2012 23:09:53 19,101 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The metalcore comment stems from a conversation I had in a pub... I think we were talking about Hatebreed. We both saw 'em at Bloodstock and to me it lyrically sounded like whiney bollocks. I said something like it sounded like a teenager's tantrum in band form. I didn't really associate with that really 'cos I get on well with my parents. He really likes 'em and didn't get on with his. :D

Might've been talking about Lamb Of God in the same vein. I find 'em to be a pile of pish whereas he quite likes 'em. You may notice I'm prone to flippancy. Try and keep up, FANny.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• StixxUK 1 Oct 2012 23:22:13 7,170 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I just got back from seeing Periphery and Between the Buried and Me co-headline.

Or rather it was supposed to be but thankfully the drummer from Periphery got injured and couldn't play so they did a shorter set with a stand-in (the guy from Monuments if that means anything to anyone).

This meant that we effectively got a full headlining set from BTBAM which was awesome.

Good setlist too, opened with White Walls and ended with Fossil Genera. Also got some Sun of Nothing, Disease Injury Madness, a couple of new songs, Mordecai and a cover of Bohemian Rhapsody, which fucked me off a bit because I fucking hate Queen and if they're going to play a cover it should be Cemetery Gates or Blackened.

Anyway awesome gig. I felt about a million years old though because the place was full of children.
  • warlockuk 1 Oct 2012 23:51:28 19,101 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bohemian rhapsody sounds like the better cover. Everyone plays those other two songs - to death :D

Edited by warlockuk at 00:01:47 02-10-2012

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• warlockuk 2 Oct 2012 09:25:48 19,101 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone into Death + Death Metal might be interested in hearing Unfathomable Ruination's cover of Death's "Vacant Planets".

Top stuff.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Page

of 284 First / Last