BBC iPlayer Page 2

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• Pooley 6 Aug 2007 01:30:33 1,507 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Have you signed onto the trial with a username and password? This takes you to the iPlayer site which then displays all the shows for the last week, on BBC 1, 2, 3 and 4. Clicking on an episode then prompts you to download the software if it doesn't detect it as already installed on your PC. This all only works with IE6.

I've just downloaded the iPlayer software, which seems to contain the download manager and a media player.

You just need IE6 to browse the iPlayer site, Firefox works up to a point but doesn't show the "download" button for the show you've selected.

Just watched Dr Who "The Long Game". Good quality tbh. Pretty impressed with it so far, now I just need to hook my laptop up to my projector.
  • Ginger 6 Aug 2007 08:32:09 6,917 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pooley wrote:
    You just need IE6 to browse the iPlayer site, Firefox works up to a point but doesn't show the "download" button for the show you've selected.
    Does it work with IETab extension in firefox?

London open taekwondo champion

• Scurrminator 6 Aug 2007 08:49:44 8,469 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    this is a honkin steam of crap compared to 4oD!

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• mcmonkeyplc 6 Aug 2007 09:05:28 39,569 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    this is a honkin steam of crap compared to 4oD!

Bullshit. Atleast this is all free at the point of use.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• KingOfSpain 6 Aug 2007 09:37:30 5,188 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I hate 4oD, Why cant they just use unskippable ads at the start and in the application.

If they went down this path I would be all over that shit!!
  • jellyhead 6 Aug 2007 09:40:07 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Does it work with any of the IE Firefox extensions?
    Sorry, reread your first post and you explained it there and sod 'em. I'll use it when they support Firefox and non-windows OS properly.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• gareth886 6 Aug 2007 10:43:33 2,841 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I got access to it over the weekend. I hope they add heroes to it soon though. The ain't really anything else I'm interested in watching on it at the minute.
  • Scurrminator 6 Aug 2007 11:05:51 8,469 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    you won't get access to programs like that that's the problem. it's justall the shitty bbc daytime shows - at least channel 4 have interesting stuff on.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• mcmonkeyplc 6 Aug 2007 11:10:23 39,569 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    you won't get access to programs like that that's the problem. it's justall the shitty bbc daytime shows - at least channel 4 have interesting stuff on.

It's not just shitty day time TV. They have all types of programmes including top gear!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Pooley 6 Aug 2007 11:35:50 1,507 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And Dr Who, and the Chuckle Brothers!

I've not tried the IE extension for Firefox, I'll give it a go today. I don't think it'll work though, I've just read an article on The Reg stating that the guy in charge of the Beeb's digital stuff is an ex Microsoft guy, who used to head their digital media division. There's already been plenty of complaints about iPlayer being Windows and IE only. Hopefully with a bit of pressure, the Beeb will release a more "open" iPlayer.
  • Pooley 6 Aug 2007 11:36:47 1,507 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    gareth886 wrote:
    I got access to it over the weekend. I hope they add heroes to it soon though. The ain't really anything else I'm interested in watching on it at the minute.

I really doubt that we'll see Heroes on it any time soon.
  • Deleted user 6 August 2007 11:47:26
    Wouldn't there be a licencing issue there? Probably going to be the same with MOTD. I doubt whether BBC have the rights for any internet broadcast of them. ;_;
  • Dougs 6 Aug 2007 11:54:50 69,528 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    Wouldn't there be a licencing issue there? Probably going to be the same with MOTD. I doubt whether BBC have the rights for any internet broadcast of them. ;_;

Good point re MotD.....
  • pinebear 6 Aug 2007 12:02:51 8,565 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    disussedgenius wrote:

Good point re MotD.....

Won't they just check IP to make sure you're in the UK?

• Deleted user 6 August 2007 12:04:03
    pinebear wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    disussedgenius wrote:

Good point re MotD.....

Won't they just check IP to make sure you're in the UK?

It'd probably be a completely different set of rights though if it's classed as Internet boardcasting, even within the UK.
  • Retroid Moderator 6 Aug 2007 12:04:55 45,310 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pooley wrote:
    Have you signed onto the trial with a username and password? This takes you to the iPlayer site which then displays all the shows for the last week, on BBC 1, 2, 3 and 4. Clicking on an episode then prompts you to download the software if it doesn't detect it as already installed on your PC. This all only works with IE6.
    Yup.

I go to an episode of something and I just get the slider saying "Youneedthesethingslol". Which I already do :/
  • Dougs 6 Aug 2007 12:07:11 69,528 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Registered for a Beeb account? Different to the iplayer username and password (which is weird)...?
  • Deleted user 6 August 2007 12:08:41
    Yeah, I suspect they'll do away with the iPlayer password after the Beta closes and keep it as a general BBC account.

Though this does mean that I can now become a racist right wing moaner on Have Your Say...
  • Pooley 6 Aug 2007 12:11:13 1,507 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    IETab with Firefox works.
  • Retroid Moderator 6 Aug 2007 12:14:47 45,310 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I reckon I have signed up for a BBC account, but can't actually find anywhere to check that :/
  • Pooley 6 Aug 2007 12:23:41 1,507 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can you look in your browsers options to see if you have two accounts, one for iPlayer and one for the BBC?

The iPlayer account name is just a string of values, whereas the BBC account should be your username.

If you've got iPlayer minimised, then you shouldn't have to log into that again, but it does prompt you for your BBC account name when you try to download a show. It should show you signed in as your account name on the iPlayer site homepage, top right hand corner.

Other than that, check out the help pages at;
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/
  • Lovemoose 6 Aug 2007 12:31:15 999 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tried to use this over the weekend. What a bunch of toss. No firefox, no install as far as I'm concerned.

The only redeeming feature might be that you can apparently use fairuse4wm onthe files to strip the drm, but I'm not going to bother even trying while UKnova and usenet are around.

Y'know, by the time we've installed 4oD, iplayer, and whatever crudware ITV, Sky and Virgin bring out, we're going to need eight core processors and uber bandwidth broadband just to cope with their shite background p2p processes.

Look, it's quite simple. I pay licence fees, subscriptions and watch godforsaken debt adverts all the time to cover the costs of transmission. Doon't expect me to use my bandwidth and cpu time to dump drm-crippled low resolution tat on my machine.

Arsemongers.

/breathes out.

twitter: @chockey

• Pooley 6 Aug 2007 12:46:21 1,507 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I didn't try installing it with Firefox Lovemoose, but certainly the IETab extension for Firefox works okay once the software is downloaded and installed.

I only get the basic four channels where I am, BBC 1, 2, ITV1 and S4C. So the ability to get access to certain BBC 3 and 4 programmes is a good benefit for me.

The DRM is annoying, but pretty fair. You get 28 days to view the episodes/shows you've downloaded, and once you've watched it once, you then have a further 7 days to watch it again. This is fine for me at the mo, if I want to watch it again and again, I'll buy the DVD. (Or preferably the BD version!)

The shows download pretty quickly tbh, though they do need to build some kind of throttling feature in the software to ensure it doesn't hog all of your bandwidth.
  • gareth886 7 Aug 2007 10:54:35 2,841 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone used the Sky Anytime service. It seems pretty good. I downloaded it last night because I missed the first episode of season 2 of weeds. It was available to download for free from them. The only thing I don't like is the fact that they charge you for most of the content on there. They should at least have ot like BBC iPlayer and let you watch it for free up to a week after the air date.
  • GiarcYekrub 11 Aug 2007 22:42:01 3,863 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gah I've finally got it... but this 7 day catch up idea is shite cause there is nothing I want to watch left on it... Where is Hustle? Jekyll? Rome? Spooks? That Dead Zone style thing that was on last week?
  • Pooley 13 Aug 2007 21:42:20 1,507 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's in beta at the moment, so it's not surprising that a lot of programmes are missing. Also, the shows look like they're "Tivo'd" off the Beeb, as you get adverts for the next programme coming up on that channel. Picky, but it would be nice to just have a proper version of the programme, not just a copy of the broadcast that day.

One problem that I've been having a lot of is "Delivery Error" pop-up's when you try to download a show. I've reinstalled the iPlayer application several times, to no avail.

Looking on the help message boards tonight, it seems the problem may be my ISP, Tiscali, blocking common bit torrent ports in the evening. Certainly Azureus stops working between mid-afternoon and midnight. It looks as if the Kontiki client used by the Beeb is also being blocked by Tiscali.

Gonna try it late tonight to see if it works.
  • Pooley 14 Aug 2007 01:10:47 1,507 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep, it works. Just tried downloading the latest ep of Doctor Who and it now downloads immediately. I've been trying since 6pm, with it constantly failing. Strange that Azureus has also just started to work.

Bloody ISP's...

Looks like they're blocking bit torrent stuff until later at night. Not really a problem for Azureus, but a complete pain for iPlayer.
  • macksed 14 Aug 2007 09:12:03 3,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    i just got this and its pooooop - far behind 4OD and even sky active - but i suppose they have the BETA excuse.
  • THFourteen 2 Jan 2008 00:30:48 34,471 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    works great!

just catching up on robin hood now.
  • IMO 2 Jan 2008 00:47:06 5,745 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Doesn't have Match of the Day though, rather annoyingly.
  • Page

of 10 First / Last