Dexter Page 61

• Page

of 62 First / Last

• vijay_UK 24 Sep 2013 10:13:09 2,376 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This was a poor season with loop holes galore. Disappointing end to what I thought was a generally fine show. I liked the setting, the performances especially from Batista and Dexter were generally very good (and Jimmy Smiths/John Lithgow from earlier seasons).

I suppose the let down is felt so much because the show is generally held in high regard. If it's been so bad for a long time as some people say, I fail to see why people would continue to watch it then.

**Spoiler**

They should have blasted the cop-killer to pieces in the end, not have her seen as a heroic cop taking one in the line of duty.
  • GrandTheftApu 24 Sep 2013 10:29:44 6,119 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just don't understand why Saxon went to the hospital to finish Deb off. The videos of him killing other victims were already out there, so it's not like she's a key witness or anything. He had shown survival instincts to escape from the police at the kill room, he was a wanted man but he could of used the confusion of the storm to escape Miami.
  • oceanmotion 24 Sep 2013 10:40:15 16,129 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There was a few stand alone scenes which I thought were good but overall it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I'm actually really annoyed even though it was likely to be shit.
  • whatfruit 24 Sep 2013 11:13:19 1,694 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Interview with the producers, uit sounds like they had no idea what they were doing.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/09/23/dexter-interview-series-finale/3/

bobomb wrote:
    so it's not really on her terms, it's on his terms, because she isn't real.

• Darren 24 Sep 2013 13:46:56 9,081 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    trevd72 wrote:
    An ending worse than Lost's, I thought it could not be done.
    I loved the end of Lost as it was wonderfully unexpected - you're made to think the bomb changed the timeline but it was actually purgatory or whatever you want to call it - and I understood that they weren't there because they'd all died on a plane as many people incorrectly assume. I thought it was beautiful actually. My only gripe about the final season was that we never really found out what the island was, only hints, or why it sent Jack and so on back to 1977, etc., etc. Otherwise that was a great finale IMO.

The ending to Dexter was cack because after all the character development of the last four seasons since he married Rita and had Harrison, he suddenly decided to cast all that aside because Deb died and abandon his feelings for a life of complete solitude. According to showrunner, Steve Buck, the fianl shot of Dexter closing then opening his eyes was meant to show Dexter completely casting away the old Dexter for one who avoids human contact of any kind. To me that is the most miserable ending possible and I would have preferred to have seen him die, even shot dead by Batista or Quinn.

The fact that Dexter was under no threat from anyone, nevermind, the police even in the finale was pure shite. There was a hint that Batista realised when they watched the video of Dexter killing Saxon but Quinn, who had Dexter followed in Season 5 because he suspected he was a killer, never batted an eyelid or said anything. Dexter then walked out and that was as far as the series ever got to arresting Dexter for an actual murder.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Darren 24 Sep 2013 14:00:16 9,081 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Iain815 wrote:NOTHING MADE ANY FUCKING SENSE. Lumberjack ending aside, why did he feel the need to take Deb from the hospital and chuck her in the ocean? I can't even think of a symbolic reason (well, a positive one at least) for doing it.
    My take on that is that Dexter blamed himself for her death and as such she was his final victim. What does Dexter normally do with his victims? He takes their bodies out on a boat and let's the Gulf Stream carry away the evidence.

Yeah, I can understand why he let her die - she'd already told him in a previous season that she didn't want to end up as a mindless vegetable (at least I think it was Dexter she told) - so he couldn't just leave her. However, it seems a bit silly that he would risk getting caught taking her body to the boat when he could have let the hospital staff find her dead and then given her a proper burial. Even if he wasn't there then Quinn, Jamie, Masuka, Matthews and Batista would have been. I guess the writers though the sea burial would be more effective?

Why did her death suddenly make him easily ditch his son and Hannah? And even the simple stuff - you'd think he'd show up on Airport CCTV dumping that bag there. The plastic baby doll just sent me into hysterics.
    The writers claim the answer is in the voice-over where Dexter says that now he has feelings, he doesn't want to feel anymore after Deb's death. I'd be fine with that if the season hadn't shown a Dexter that no longer felt the need to kill and who wanted to share his life with Hannah. He was close to Deb, yes, but she even said to him to not feel guilty and go and be happy. His punishment is that he was responsible for Deb's death since he could have killed Saxon but he could have dealt with that, supported by Hannah. That he decides to cast away his feelings is bizarre; how do you do that anyway short of experiencing total amnesia?

The plastic baby was a bit laughable though, I agree, especially as they showed a scene of Deb holding an actual baby. They should have focused on the character faces and not shown the doll after that, it wasn't really necessary.

Edited by Darren at 13:50:14 25-09-2013

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• YenRug 24 Sep 2013 16:16:11 2,448 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
  • Psychotext 24 Sep 2013 16:33:04 55,048 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah... thanks.
  • GuiltySpark 24 Sep 2013 16:57:27 6,468 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    YenRug wrote:
    That's looks pretty good! Maybe Dexter is finally back on form.

Oh wait.

Get bent.

• oceanmotion 24 Sep 2013 20:13:32 16,129 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Up there with the fake baby

http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/harrison-treadmill1.gif

Could be Quinn with a blonde wig.

Edited by oceanmotion at 20:14:45 24-09-2013
  • b0rk 24 Sep 2013 20:36:20 2,943 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    what the fuck
  • Deleted user 24 September 2013 23:00:28
    My issues with the finale are as follows:

1) Why did Harrison never speak to Jamie about Hannah and thus raise suspicion?
    2) Deb's death would have been a lot more acceptable had they not let us first think she was going to make a full recovery. No doubt that was to surprise us, but it was too much of a bait and switch.
  • Darren 25 Sep 2013 14:01:03 9,081 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @HairyArse - Remember the scene when Clayton turned up at Deb's House while she was on the beach out front with Harrison and Hannah was cooking inside? Deb told Harrison to go inside and I half expected him to shout "Hannah" right there and then but, of course, he didn't.

As for Deb, well it seemed pretty obvious to me that she was going to die because a major character always dies in a series finale and it was clear it wasn't going to be Dexter since the police were still not aware he was a serial killer. As soon as Dexter entered the empty hospital room where Deb was after confronting Saxon then I knew that she was dead. Also, how many times has Deb been badly wounded and survived previously such that it seemed inevitable the next time she would die? It really wasn't a surprise to me..

• oceanmotion 25 Sep 2013 17:51:42 16,129 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    http://screencrush.com/dexter-series-finale-spoilers-alternate-ending-clyde-phillips/

Said Phillips of his own image for the finale, which presumably would have taken drastically different roads to arrive here:

In the very last scene of the series. Dexter wakes up. And everybody is going to think, ‘Oh, it was a dream.’ And then the camera pulls back and back and back and then we realize, ‘No, it’s not a dream.’ Dexter’s opening his eyes and he’s on the execution table at the Florida Penitentiary. They’re just starting to administer the drugs and he looks out through the window to the observation gallery.

And in the gallery are all the people that Dexter killed—including the Trinity Killer and the Ice Truck Killer (his brother Rudy), LaGuerta who he was responsible killing, Doakes who he’s arguably responsible for, Rita, who he’s arguably responsible for, Lila. All the big deaths, and also whoever the weekly episodic kills were. They are all there.

According to Phillips, the entirety of the ‘Dexter’ series would have been revealed as the character’s life flashing before his eyes in the moments before execution, similar to the 1890 Ambrose Pierce story “An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge,” in which a soldier experiences a vision of escape in the moments of his own hanging.
  • L0cky 25 Sep 2013 18:33:36 1,559 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Darren wrote:
    I loved the end of Lost
    I stopped reading there.
  • PenguinJim 26 Sep 2013 11:03:19 6,014 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've tried to avoid commenting this year in case the finale saved it, but wow. This season really made the last few years look good. So much time spent at bus terminals, plane terminals... OK, we get it, this episode is TERMINAL! There was nothing meaningful in anything said or done, no clever links or connections or subtlety or dramatic irony. It was like watching an episode of Enterprise.

I was actually noticing badly-done camera work and editing this season. Was it so bad in previous years? Had the story quality just not dipped enough for me to notice and it to grate?

Love Dexter. What a great show. Four seasons with the occasional lull, but some absolutely stand-out moments and characters. What a shame it never got a fifth season. It will remain fondly in my memory forever.
  • Darren 30 Sep 2013 15:51:44 9,081 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    http://screencrush.com/dexter-series-finale-spoilers-alternate-ending-clyde-phillips/

Said Phillips of his own image for the finale, which presumably would have taken drastically different roads to arrive here:

In the very last scene of the series. Dexter wakes up. And everybody is going to think, ‘Oh, it was a dream.’ And then the camera pulls back and back and back and then we realize, ‘No, it’s not a dream.’ Dexter’s opening his eyes and he’s on the execution table at the Florida Penitentiary. They’re just starting to administer the drugs and he looks out through the window to the observation gallery.

And in the gallery are all the people that Dexter killed—including the Trinity Killer and the Ice Truck Killer (his brother Rudy), LaGuerta who he was responsible killing, Doakes who he’s arguably responsible for, Rita, who he’s arguably responsible for, Lila. All the big deaths, and also whoever the weekly episodic kills were. They are all there.

According to Phillips, the entirety of the ‘Dexter’ series would have been revealed as the character’s life flashing before his eyes in the moments before execution, similar to the 1890 Ambrose Pierce story “An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge,” in which a soldier experiences a vision of escape in the moments of his own hanging.
    That would have been terrific IMO.

• TarickStonefire 30 Sep 2013 16:45:58 3,451 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Darren wrote:According to showrunner, Steve Buck, the fianl shot of Dexter closing then opening his eyes was meant to show Dexter completely casting away the old Dexter for one who avoids human contact of any kind.
    Pfft, really?

Fuck, they failed miserably then, didn't they? Firstly, he's got a fucking job that involves human contact. Secondly, it looked very much to me like he was embracing the dark side and continuing to kill with abandon, just making sure not to let anyone get close to him any more.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 30 Sep 2013 16:49:35 3,451 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:

That's interesting, but that ending wouldn't really have painted the entirety of Dexter as 'life flashes before eyes' moment. In fact, having all those victims in the room would instead have painted that scene in almost all viewers minds as having been in his head, and wouldn't have made sense.

Was he really being executed? Was that a dream too? Was the whole thing a dream? Is he in fact just insane in some asylum somewhere?

Wouldn't have worked. Also, ret-conning an entire 7 years of the show which wasn't ever shot for that ending would not have worked either, unless there had always been a sense that something wasn't quite right...

I like the idea that he got caught. But the high concept bit seems like balls to me.

• Deleted user 30 September 2013 17:28:01
    At least they avoided the book version where the dark passenger is some sort of creature and there are loads of them.
  • TarickStonefire 30 Sep 2013 19:01:21 3,451 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    While reading this thread earlier I had to really think hard to remember if I'd actually seen the last episode yet. That's how unmemorable it was - I'd seen it three days ago.

• yegon 5 Oct 2013 19:39:52 5,416 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Uurgh, that was terrible.

Speaks volumes that the last couple of episodes have been sat on my hdd for a couple of weeks.

For a few years now I was convinced when the final season came along, as they no longer had to resort to filler, it'd be good, that it'd recreate some of the tension of the first couple of seasons where the world and his wife didn't know Dexter's secret. Alas, it was same old, same old with a weak chinned villain - John Lithgow v. this guy lol - and absolutely none of the tension from Baptista(sp?) et al slowly honing in on Dexter with the dawning realisation that he was a serial killer.

Pfft.

Out of curiosity, a few weeks ago I watched a random episode from the first season to see if I had rose tinted spectacles. Nope. It was never Wire/Sopranos/B Bad level, faaaar from it, but the script, character and general sense of tension that permeated the episode was so far beyond the last few years it felt like that was the original and this was some hokey spin off. Not good.

Edited by yegon at 19:40:34 05-10-2013
  • vijay_UK 5 Oct 2013 20:16:03 2,376 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    - and absolutely none of the tension from Batista(sp?) et al slowly honing in on Dexter with the dawning realisation that he was a serial killer.

This would have worked for me.

Plus, what a shitty father he is to Harrison? Allowing him to emigrate to Argentina with - a serial killer. Ffs unbelievable lazyness from the writers.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 5 Oct 2013 21:38:10 2,319 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just finished season 8 yesterday. I have to say, for all the hate it got, I didn't think it was that bad.

I was disappointed that the season didn't either bring about Dexter's downfall or at least allow him to narrowly escape after being uncovered, and as a whole, it wasn't as good as previous seasons have been. But the final episode itself I actually rather enjoyed. Seems like it's just me though.

EDIT: Spoiler tags...

Edited by midnight_walker at 21:38:43 05-10-2013
  • TarickStonefire 5 Oct 2013 22:02:48 3,451 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    vijay_UK wrote:
    yegon wrote:
    - and absolutely none of the tension from Batista(sp?) et al slowly honing in on Dexter with the dawning realisation that he was a serial killer.

This would have worked for me.

Plus, what a shitty father he is to Harrison? Allowing him to emigrate to Argentina with - a serial killer. Ffs unbelievable lazyness from the writers.
    I don't think it's necessarily lazy of them to write an ending in which he's a terrible father.

• THFourteen 3 Nov 2013 22:01:26 34,475 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just finished

OMG I usually don't have time for people who moan about games/tv/films just to be contrary, but jesus wept that was utter drivel.

How the fuck did he just not get caught in the end. That would have been the right ending
  • TarickStonefire 3 Nov 2013 22:42:31 3,451 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Just finished

OMG I usually don't have time for people who moan about games/tv/films just to be contrary, but jesus wept that was utter drivel.

You say that as if everyone complaining about a game, TV show or film is just doing so to be contrary? Maybe in their opinion the thing they're complaining about really was utter drivel?

Edited by TarickStonefire at 22:43:03 03-11-2013

• THFourteen 3 Nov 2013 23:01:31 34,475 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A lot of people just like to complain to cause controversy or troll.

I should know, I'm good at it :-D
  • YenRug 20 May 2014 12:47:54 2,448 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Michael C Hall/Dexter talks about that last season:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/05/19/michael-c-hall-sometimes-i-wish-dexter-had-died
  • Page

of 62 First / Last