DIY

  • Page

    of 7 First / Last

    Previous
  • pinkds 19 Jul 2007 16:54:30 1,604 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can any one help me:

    I have just bought a Victorian house and some idiot before me has replaced all the lovely windows and doors with UPVC.

    Is there anything I can use to paint them a nicer colour?

    I can't seem to find anything on the internet.

    Why do people do these things to our English heritage???!!!
  • Goban 19 Jul 2007 16:58:49 9,073 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    karnavalcoatings
    Unfortunately it's a spray application only I think.

    uPVC is evil and must be destroyed.
  • Goban 19 Jul 2007 17:00:28 9,073 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    or a more hands on approach with ronseal
    Sorry only white :(

    Edited by Goban at 17:01:35 19-07-2007
  • Goban 19 Jul 2007 17:03:29 9,073 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Or you could just prime it and paint it with conventional paint.

    Aren't you glad I did all the hard work on Google :)
  • pinkds 20 Jul 2007 09:55:52 1,604 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thank you for your help!

    I will have to spend the weekend looking round DIY shops.

  • X201 20 Jul 2007 10:05:40 15,577 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pinkds wrote:
    Can any one help me:

    I have just bought a Victorian house and some idiot before me has replaced all the lovely windows and doors with UPVC.

    Tosser, people like that, hanging's too good for them.


    Is there anything I can use to paint them a nicer colour?

    The entrails of the git who did it?

    I can't seem to find anything on the internet.
    What!!! Can't find anything? has all the porn gone?


    Why do people do these things to our English heritage???!!!
    I blame Lawerence llwellwelly Bowen, git. And bloody Carol Smiley.
    And as for handy Andy, there's only one place a piece of MDF needs to be shoved.


    / and relax

  • Killerbee 20 Jul 2007 10:09:14 5,016 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    pinkds wrote:
    and some idiot before me has replaced all the lovely windows and doors with UPVC.
    Yeah, why do people do that? The house I've just moved into has got a weird mix of crappy uPVC double glazing in some of the rooms and traditional wooden sash windows (look great, but a bit draughty) in others. In my daughter's bedroom she's actually got one of each!

    WTF!?!?!? If you're going to do it, at least finish the chuffing job!
  • moggsy 20 Jul 2007 10:18:16 3,860 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Look on the bright side though, at least your house will be warm in winter.
  • pjmaybe 20 Jul 2007 10:21:59 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd take UPVC windows with decent soundproofing over crappy old wooden sash windows ANY day of the week. Particularly if you live near any chavscum.

    Peej
  • Goban 20 Jul 2007 10:27:31 9,073 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The only reason to get uPVC is because they are virtually maintenance free. Unfortunately they have a very finite life span, 25 years and you throw them away. If you get decent timber ones you will have to do some maintenance every 5 or so years, but they will last a lifetime. uPVC is also environmentally dreadful.

    Agree with Peej though, far better to have them than nasty draughty noisy old rotten things.
  • Goban 20 Jul 2007 10:45:30 9,073 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Where all the fireplaces bricked up like my place?

    Look what I found in my kitchen under all the plaster
    Ah the 60's and 70's and peoples bold new flush future.
  • pinkds 20 Jul 2007 10:45:47 1,604 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    moggsy wrote:
    Look on the bright side though, at least your house will be warm in winter.

    1) I have asthma and a drafty house is much better for getting rid of excess dust and micro organisms than one sealed up and heated all the time.

    2) I prefer to be too cold than too hot, there is nothing worse than living in an overheated house.

    3) I do not believe that having double glazing helps the environment becuase after putting them in you become much more careless about how much energy you are using.

    4) When does England EVER get that cold in winter? I can't remember the last time I actualy felt freezing. I mean compared to the USA or some parts of Europe.
  • pjmaybe 20 Jul 2007 10:47:10 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    pinkds wrote:
    moggsy wrote:
    Look on the bright side though, at least your house will be warm in winter.

    1) I have asthma and a drafty house is much better for getting rid of excess dust and micro organisms than one sealed up and heated all the time.

    2) I prefer to be too cold than too hot, there is nothing worse than living in an overheated house.

    3) I do not believe that having double glazing helps the environment becuase after putting them in you become much more careless about how much energy you are using.

    4) When does England EVER get that cold in winter? I can't remember the last time I actualy felt freezing. I mean compared to the USA or some parts of Europe.

    True enough but what about the noise factor. England might get cold but feck me if it's not one of the noisiest places to live in the world.

    Peej
  • Goban 20 Jul 2007 10:50:02 9,073 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pinkds wrote:
    3) I do not believe that having double glazing helps the environment becuase after putting them in you become much more careless about how much energy you are using.

    4) When does England EVER get that cold in winter? I can't remember the last time I actualy felt freezing. I mean compared to the USA or some parts of Europe.

    3) eh? Careless maybe, but in a worse case scenario you will be using a lot less energy.

    4) It's not about getting that cold, it's about using less energy, not having to heat your ambient temperature by 1 or 2 degrees makes a massive difference to energy consumption.
  • pinkds 20 Jul 2007 10:53:18 1,604 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Goban wrote:
    pinkds wrote:
    3) I do not believe that having double glazing helps the environment becuase after putting them in you become much more careless about how much energy you are using.

    4) When does England EVER get that cold in winter? I can't remember the last time I actualy felt freezing. I mean compared to the USA or some parts of Europe.

    3) eh? Careless maybe, but in a worse case scenario you will be using a lot less energy.

    4) It's not about getting that cold, it's about using less energy, not having to heat your ambient temperature by 1 or 2 degrees makes a massive difference to energy consumption.



    I very rarelt have my heating on because I don't like the way it drie out my skin and makes me feel sick half the time so I just throw on a jumper and if i'm really cold, hell, I just play Wii sports for an hour.

    I live in a village so it isn't noisy at all, very peaceful actualy.

    I know all about helping the environment, after studying it at degree level, but I do not believe that having double glazing suits my life style.


  • Goban 20 Jul 2007 10:54:35 9,073 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Goban wrote:
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Where all the fireplaces bricked up like my place?

    Look what I found in my kitchen under all the plaster
    Ah the 60's and 70's and peoples bold new flush future.
    The tiled fireplace over the plaster was lovely 0_o
    I bet it was, got any photos?
  • Popzeus 20 Jul 2007 10:57:17 8,361 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Killerbee wrote:
    pinkds wrote:
    and some idiot before me has replaced all the lovely windows and doors with UPVC.
    Yeah, why do people do that? !?!?!?

    Because they don't want to fucking well freeze to death, you pretentious fuckwads.

    Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

  • pinkds 20 Jul 2007 11:05:38 1,604 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    Killerbee wrote:
    pinkds wrote:
    and some idiot before me has replaced all the lovely windows and doors with UPVC.
    Yeah, why do people do that? !?!?!?

    Because they don't want to fucking well freeze to death, you pretentious fuckwads.

    Freeze to death how and when exactly?

    When was the last time you went outside and it was freezing?

    There are other ways to keep warm other than having to have plastic windows, how about 'invisible to the eye' loft insulation? Or doing some exercise to get the blood flowing and increase your basal body temperature- having sex?

    Maybe that's more difficult for some people....

    / Big flash of lightening in Notting Hill
  • Popzeus 20 Jul 2007 11:18:07 8,361 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pinkds wrote:
    Popzeus wrote:
    Killerbee wrote:
    pinkds wrote:
    and some idiot before me has replaced all the lovely windows and doors with UPVC.
    Yeah, why do people do that? !?!?!?

    Because they don't want to fucking well freeze to death, you pretentious fuckwads.

    Freeze to death how and when exactly?

    When was the last time you went outside and it was freezing?

    There are other ways to keep warm other than having to have plastic windows, how about 'invisible to the eye' loft insulation? Or doing some exercise to get the blood flowing and increase your basal body temperature- having sex?

    Maybe that's more difficult for some people....

    / Big flash of lightening in Notting Hill

    OK, maybe not actually "freeze to death" - I was exaggerating to make my point because I'm riled.

    I just find the current fashion for whingeing about double glazing 'spoiling' old houses infuriating and pretentious.


    Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

  • JuanKerr 20 Jul 2007 11:20:39 36,311 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:

    OK, maybe not actually "freeze to death" - I was exaggerating to make my point because I'm riled.

    I just find the current fashion for whingeing about double glazing 'spoiling' old houses infuriating and pretentious.


    So, you'd rather rip out all the nice old features and have every house looking like it was built by Barratt fucking Homes or something? People like features in a house, simple as that. It's not pretentious - not everyone wants to live in a new house with square, dull rooms and no character.
  • Load_2.0 20 Jul 2007 11:21:16 19,442 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Spray them with the blood of your victims.
  • Goban 20 Jul 2007 11:21:31 9,073 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If people would actually bother to get off their arses and do a bit of proper research, instead of buying the first plastic piece of crap that local Delboy salesmen recommends we would have a lot more warm and attractive homes.
  • Goban 20 Jul 2007 11:23:30 9,073 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    So, you'd rather rip out all the nice old features and have every house looking like it was built by Barratt fucking Homes or something? People like features in a house, simple as that. It's not pretentious - not everyone wants to live in a new house with square, dull rooms and no character.
    Modern/new does not automatically mean characterless. Some damn fine new double glazed windows out there that look exceptionally close to sash & case.

    Edited by Goban at 11:24:03 20-07-2007
  • JuanKerr 20 Jul 2007 11:23:33 36,311 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Goban wrote:
    If people would actually bother to get off their arses and do a bit of proper research, instead of buying the first plastic piece of crap that local Delboy salesmen recommends we would have a lot more warm and attractive homes.

    Agreed.

    I've lived in houses with sash windows for my whole life and I've never had to turn the heating up any higher than people who live in double-glazed stuffy sweatboxes. I like the draft - I'm not 80 years old, so 'drafts' are a non-issue.
  • JuanKerr 20 Jul 2007 11:25:15 36,311 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Goban wrote:

    Modern/new does not automatically mean characterless. Some damn fine new double glazed windows out their that look exceptionally close to sash & case.

    Okay, I was generalising a bit. I don't really like new houses on the whole - find them a bit soul-less and empty to be honest. I've lived in old houses all my life, you see.
  • JuanKerr 20 Jul 2007 11:26:27 36,311 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    It costs a few quid restoring a place :(

    /watches bank balance disappear

    Tell me about it. Just brought a Victorian house and spent a lot of time and money restoring some of the character. Some people have absolutely no idea - if you want a modern house, buy a modern house, don't ruin an old one!
  • Killerbee 20 Jul 2007 11:27:00 5,016 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    Killerbee wrote:
    pinkds wrote:
    and some idiot before me has replaced all the lovely windows and doors with UPVC.
    Yeah, why do people do that? !?!?!?

    Because they don't want to fucking well freeze to death, you pretentious fuckwads.

    Now now! :)

    I'm all in favour of double glazing and I don't really mind uPVC that much, but its when you see things like that done on the cheap to an old property that really gets to me.

    The 1980s-style double glazing in my house just looks shit in a 1920s/1930s property. The sash windows just fit the ambience better imho. I guess I wouldn't have minded if whoever had the double glazing put in had actually chosen something that fitted with the style of the rest of the house...
  • pjmaybe 20 Jul 2007 11:28:07 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Goban wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:
    So, you'd rather rip out all the nice old features and have every house looking like it was built by Barratt fucking Homes or something? People like features in a house, simple as that. It's not pretentious - not everyone wants to live in a new house with square, dull rooms and no character.
    Modern/new does not automatically mean characterless. Some damn fine new double glazed windows out there that look exceptionally close to sash & case.

    Edited by Goban at 11:24:03 20-07-2007

    Yup my windows do. Reasonably modern development on an old brewery site with the new houses like ours made to fit in with the existing buildings - including the windows. Only downside is I would rather have had triple glazed rather than double for soundproofing purposes (as it's a town centre development) but they look blimmin' lovely from the outside. Leaded windows that fit in with the character of the building.

    I love my house. Just a pity the local council stuffed a street full of chavscum nearby to "harmonise and encourage integration"

    Peej
  • JuanKerr 20 Jul 2007 11:29:17 36,311 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Killerbee wrote:

    I'm all in favour of double glazing and I don't really mind uPVC that much, but its when you see things like that done on the cheap to an old property that really gets to me.

    The 1980s-style double glazing in my house just looks shit in a 1920s/1930s property. The sash windows just fit the ambience better imho. I guess I wouldn't have minded if whoever had the double glazing put in had actually chosen something that fitted with the style of the rest of the house...

    Well put. Nice bouble glazing looks good on the right propery, but people who shoe-horn it into a 17th Century thatched cottage should be publicly flogged.
  • JuanKerr 20 Jul 2007 11:30:46 36,311 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:

    I love my house. Just a pity the local council stuffed a street full of chavscum nearby to "harmonise and encourage integration"

    Peej

    Why do councils do this? All it does is drag an area down. Chavscum should be herded into a shitty town and locked in. They can do what they want then.

    / fumes


    Edited by JuanKerr at 11:31:07 20-07-2007
  • Page

    of 7 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply