Exercise advice and weight loss Page 226

• Page

of 325 First / Last

• Psychotext 25 Feb 2013 13:49:01 54,791 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    Pretty poor analogy tbh, I understand you're saying they are masochistic - but at least weight training is improving yourself.
    It's not an emotional high people are generally feeling when working out though, it's based on the body's response to stimuli.

Like I said, feeling good about improving yourself is one thing, "loving the burn" is quite another.
  • mrpon 25 Feb 2013 13:56:21 29,399 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Read that as loving the bum.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Psychotext 25 Feb 2013 14:01:10 54,791 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also good.
  • sport 25 Feb 2013 14:03:32 12,798 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mirrin' makes you feel good.
  • jamievilla 28 Feb 2013 12:24:29 571 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ok. I'm almost pre-cringing at asking this question but here goes.

As a total noob to any major exercise stuff (used to play a lot of sport in my early 20s) but now in my early 30s and not in great shape (18stone / 6ft).

Have begun sorting out diet and have dropped about a stone in a month, but really want to get into some sort of regular exercise that doesn't require the gym.

Now (here comes the cringy question) I've been seeing stuff about this insanity program which looks interesting, I don't expect the whole ripped look at all - but a program which is regular, hard but relatively short each day and I can do at home is very appealing. Don't have a massive amount of time to do anything so it may well be a good starting point to getting my lazy arse to do something.

Is it a good idea? Would I kill myself in the first week - has anyone on here done it?
  • Trane 28 Feb 2013 12:31:51 4,058 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Insanity is a bit gimmicky and tends to be shortlived from what I've seen. I would say it was too difficult for someone quite overweight and just getting into training, and most likely to put them off training.

The fact that you want something you can do just at home tells me you're not really committed. You need to push past that, join a gym and start lifting some weights, maybe do a kettlebell class, even crossfit. In fact try a few different things until you get to something you actually enjoy/don't hate - then you will stick to it.
  • jamievilla 28 Feb 2013 12:37:31 571 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ok fair enough, the reason for the avoidance of the gym was that I don't really have access to one due to erratic working hours mainly. Plus I can't be arsed with being viewed as the local walking blimb until I sort myself out!

Shall see what the times are at the ones near to work/home - hopefully they won't require the full sign up / monthly payment malarky.
  • craigy Staff 28 Feb 2013 13:16:01 7,767 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've heard really good things about the NHS "Couch to 5k" programme. Might be worth looking into:
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/get-running-with-couch-to-5k.aspx
  • THFourteen 28 Feb 2013 13:18:03 34,186 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trane wrote:The fact that you want something you can do just at home tells me you're not really committed.
    I'm about to put this to the test... I've been training for a good 10 years now, and been pretty committed all the way through, generally making 3 sessions a week most weeks apart from illness and holidays. But moving house soon and it would suit me better to build a home gym instead of going to the gym all the time (cheaper, convenient, not busy, can watch tv/listen to music whilst i exercise).

But a lot of my friends have said not to do it, as you eventually end up not being bothered to use the stuff...
  • glaeken 28 Feb 2013 13:18:16 11,234 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Starting hard when getting into a new program of exercise is never a good idea as it leads to burn out and giving up. It's really common down the gym to see someone suddenly start training and try to do six days a week which they keep up for about a month and then you never see them again.

You should start easy with something you can keep up the enthusiasm to keep doing.
  • craigy Staff 28 Feb 2013 13:21:16 7,767 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ^ this
  • sport 28 Feb 2013 13:33:03 12,798 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have to disagree a little with Trane. He does have a point about getting to the gym, but after many years pouring money into gym membership I decided that I'd give "working out at home" a shot.

I think everyone here knows that I do P90X, and I'll be the first to admit that I've always been skeptical of DVD workouts - poncy-Jane-Fonda-jumping-around-bullshit - but after a little research and checking out some genuine before and after progress pic, I gave it a shot.

Quite simply, it's brilliant! An hour a day and with the right dumbbells, I'd challenge anyone to give a try and say it isn't a serious workout.

It's also nice that it's a finite period to work towards (90 days) - I've done 3 rounds/sessions over the last year and I'm now doing P90X2. I also combined Insanity with some of my sessions and it's definitely not gimmicky - it's very fucking hard, I'd almost say too hard if you're over-weight and unfit.

I'd love to try "Starting Strength" and I think I will when I have space at home and my own equipment - I'm off gyms plain and simple.

@jamie - Feel free to fire any questions my way.
  • fletch7100 28 Feb 2013 13:40:25 7,434 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @jamievilla

@jamievilla

Don't have to do everything down a gym, easily workout at home. Ask round the running and cycling threads as well. Any training keep it enjoyable so you want to go back to it. If you like playing a sport base your training round that sport( Sunday league football for example)

Is a great subject to read up on around the net. Problem is so many different opinions out there. Take all the info then work out what works best for you. Everyone is different

http://www.exrx.net/ has plenty of info here

Plus I loved doing some of the circuit training on this site

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/workouts/circuit-training

More you learn more you can adjust your workouts for better results.
  • Ultrasoundwave 28 Feb 2013 13:44:10 3,388 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Trane wrote:The fact that you want something you can do just at home tells me you're not really committed.
    I'm about to put this to the test... I've been training for a good 10 years now, and been pretty committed all the way through, generally making 3 sessions a week most weeks apart from illness and holidays. But moving house soon and it would suit me better to build a home gym instead of going to the gym all the time (cheaper, convenient, not busy, can watch tv/listen to music whilst i exercise).

But a lot of my friends have said not to do it, as you eventually end up not being bothered to use the stuff...

I moved into my new house two years ago. Straight away, i told the mrs that i was having one of the spare bedrooms as a "game room" and i wanted the garage to be a gym. She agreed to both.

With the garage/gym, the philosophy i stuck to was making it a place for doing gym work and nothing else. IE, no home comforts in there like TV's DVD players or heaters. Just gym equipment and an iPhone dock.

That way, even if you dont feel like doing exercise on a particular day, you just stick your gear on, grab some water and as soon as you're in there, theres nothing else to do except work.

It might seem a bit cold, but its the best way to approach doing gym work at home IMO.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• THFourteen 28 Feb 2013 14:08:45 34,186 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But i'm not getting a games room, just a garage :-(

All my good shit needs to go in there!
  • Trane 28 Feb 2013 14:46:02 4,058 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    sport wrote:
    I have to disagree a little with Trane. He does have a point about getting to the gym, but after many years pouring money into gym membership I decided that I'd give "working out at home" a shot.
    I don't think you've necessarily disagreed with me there, you went from being a very active trainer at a gym to a very active trainer at home, that's a very different scenario to Jamie.

As I said, the real fundamental thing to do is finding something that you enjoy - it's so much easier to stick with something if you don't hate doing it (or even enjoy it!). Swimming, badminton, spin class, circuits, crossfit, kettlebells - there are a wealth of things you can try - even find out if a friend or colleague is willing to buddy up - again it's easier to find the willpower if someone else has a mutually reliant relationship with you.

Just please don't push yourself too hard from the offset, decide upon a sensible diet and workout plan, do not do anything drastic. This will ensure you make slow, steady - and most importantly - sustainable progress. Don't look at it is a quick weight loss or diet fix, change your lifestyle for the better.
  • Psychotext 28 Feb 2013 15:11:00 54,791 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can't speak for Insanity (but I know it's supposed to be hard). If you're not particularly fit at the moment it might be better to go for P90. Worth remembering that Trane is hard to the core. He could crush you with one of his mighty paws and mocks your worthless effort. :D

(For what it's worth, I've been doing one thing or another for years and in terms of results vs time, nothing has even come close to what P90X did for me)
  • Zomoniac 28 Feb 2013 15:15:35 7,903 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Insanity is frankly just ridiculous. Anyone who says a home cardio workout isn't a real workout clearly hasn't tried it. I can run a half-marathon without too much difficulty, but Insanity is just another level of fucking evil. It's a lot of fun though, but if you're not extremely fit it will destroy you. Three times I've finished month one, and pulled a muscle on the first day of month two, had to sit out a while and start all over again. You'd think I'd have learned by the third time.

Sport, which hybrid plan did you do? I started with a hybrid for a bit, but it had P90X chest and back on day 1, which is just push up after push up, and Cardio Circuit on day 2, which has got that long section at the end of level 1 drills, ski abs, in-and-outs, repeat. After the first of the three intervals of the Insanity plank work having done chest and back the previous day it wasn't even so much as I couldn't do another push up as I could barely even support my weight with my arms, just collapsed flat on my face.
  • craigy Staff 28 Feb 2013 15:43:01 7,767 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Ultrasoundwave a garage gym is in my future. We're looking for a new place, and one of my immovable requirements is a garage I can put a heavy bag, some weights, and an iPod dock. I can't wait to drop my gym membership for a man-cave!
  • Psychotext 28 Feb 2013 16:24:48 54,791 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I disagree with the "no garage heating" bit for what it's worth. I just bought a halogen heater for mine as it was getting unbearable to work out in there.

You can wrap up warm of course, but that becomes a pain in the arse as you have to start taking layers off / they start getting in the way on some exercises etc... and let's face it, it's easy enough to avoid working out without having excuses like "it's minus 5 and I'm going to die".
  • craigy Staff 4 Mar 2013 09:10:15 7,767 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Stepped on the scales this morning and I'm bang on 11 stone.

That's 3 stone I've lost in 12 months. I started 2012 as a tubby little manboob, and I'm heading into 2013 the fittest I've ever been. I'm taking a week off to celebrate. Plus it'll help me fend off a load of little niggly injuries I've picked up recently.
  • CharlieStCloud 4 Mar 2013 09:15:11 5,355 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    That's 3 stone I've lost in 12 months.
    *round of applause*

... don't go under eleven stones though! You shall float away like a dandelion.
  • Trane 4 Mar 2013 09:18:32 4,058 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good work skinny Jim
  • THFourteen 4 Mar 2013 09:21:27 34,186 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    that is impressive mate, nice one.
  • sport 4 Mar 2013 09:27:54 12,798 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Stepped on the scales this morning and I'm bang on 11 stone.

That's 3 stone I've lost in 12 months. I started 2012 as a tubby little manboob, and I'm heading into 2013 the fittest I've ever been. I'm taking a week off to celebrate. Plus it'll help me fend off a load of little niggly injuries I've picked up recently.
    pics or GTFO!
  • timetraveler 4 Mar 2013 09:38:57 61 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've lost some weight when I bought Kinect.
  • Trane 4 Mar 2013 09:42:44 4,058 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Your wallet got lighter. Also you're missing an 'l', that might take some weight off.

;)
  • Rodney 4 Mar 2013 09:43:31 1,918 posts
    Seen 3 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've got a home gym and I use it consistently but I have started to visit a powerlifting club once a week recently. I like the community aspect and it is a better environment to lift the heavy stuff in. but you can still train hard at home.

You can put together a decent home set up for less than an annual gym membership and of course you're investing in a sellable asset unlike a gym membership.

No heater in my garage gym but I'm in Queensland so have the opposite problem to the cold.
  • Psychotext 4 Mar 2013 09:52:06 54,791 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I must admit that I don't like doing REALLY heavy stuff when I'm on my own, but I'll remedy that when I finally get around to buying a power cage.

Need a slightly bigger house first though.
  • Trane 4 Mar 2013 09:53:57 4,058 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wouldn't dream of doing heavy bench press or squats without a spotter these days. A powercage can of course be set up to avoid serious problems though.
  • Page

of 325 First / Last