Exercise advice and weight loss Page 219

• Page

of 319 First / Last

• mikeck 6 Feb 2013 11:33:02 1,936 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:
    Calorie counting what's that :) I have never planned my lifestyle by making a calorie total, I just cut out the bad foods that I used to be having all the time. Just more sensible with my eating habits, just have smaller pudding every evening after dinner.
    That's how I was when I was boxing, and how I will be once I'm back training in a few weeks. I just wanted to take actions to start the weight loss.

I certainly don't plan to keep calorie counting.

Also, I know everybody does it differently, and I'm probably not doing it the way most of you would recommend, but for my motivation I needed a kick up the arse, before getting myself into a manageable routine that won't be unrealistic in the long-run
  • pistol 6 Feb 2013 11:39:44 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Have another sportstest in 4 weeks.

Last one was end of Nov and I was 80kg and 11.2% bodyfat. Currently 78kg and feel like my fat % is lower but we'll see. I'm 6ft.

It's for some Cycle Sportives I'm doing from May through to Oct.

Edited by pistol at 11:41:17 06-02-2013
  • fletch7100 6 Feb 2013 11:39:48 7,357 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @mikeck

Agree,sometimes you need a kick up the backside every now and again. My version happened when I was over training last year. Ego was writing checks my body couldn't cash:) got injured then 3 weeks with out training. Spent the time researching what I wanted to do,getting new info to add to what I had learned over the years. Then when it came back to doing weights, I started with bar only and relearned all the exercises again. Now I'm past the point strength wise when I got I injured with a more relaxed training routine.
  • mikew1985 6 Feb 2013 11:41:56 12,892 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you're injured or not playing as much sport/doing as much exercise as normal, calorie counting is probably the best thing to do.

Did it myself for about 5 months a couple of years ago when I had to stop playing as much football for a bit. I lost a bit too much weight though, went down to 76-77kg so just be careful not to take it too seriously, I thought I was just grand and slim at the time but I was probably 2 - 3 kilos underweight, didn't look too well when I look back.
  • liamthemaster 6 Feb 2013 15:24:42 1,602 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What is peoples opinion on the Nike fuelband/sportband ? I'm looking for something to wear during the day as well as football and jogging.
  • Psychotext 6 Feb 2013 20:10:47 54,405 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Was just looking at the calorie values for a place I just ate at.

Chicken & Broccoli Linguine. Sounds like a reasonable choice right?

1,674kcal lol

So glad I didn't go for that one. :D
  • sport 6 Feb 2013 20:33:32 12,775 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:

1,674kcal lol

I'd take a guess and say that dish is served in a thick creamy white sauce with loads of cheese, coz I reckon that's where the bulk of those calories come from. Chicken and Broccoli on it's own is a super healthy combo. And some pasta is good to get some carbs in.
  • heyyo 6 Feb 2013 21:00:09 14,372 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not when eating out ...the Chicken and Broccoli would be probably cooked with butter

I take the restaurant nutritional information with a pinch of salt (no pun) anyway as the meals vary too much, ingredients, amount of oil, portion sizes all vary like fuck each time out of the kitchen.
  • Psychotext 6 Feb 2013 23:16:23 54,405 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I didn't have it but I'm guessing that it was covered in cheese. My (healthy sounding) chicken breasts came covered in cheese and various sauces. I guess that's what happens when you eat at an American chain.
  • mikeck 7 Feb 2013 11:03:54 1,936 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I had a shocking revelation yesterday about the amount of calories in popcorn...you know that 'healthy snack'. Well if I make home popped corn yes it's okay as a snack...but Odeon popcorn...fuck sake what a shocker!

Usually I share a large salted popcorn with my wife when we're at the cinema and that comes to a whopping 840 calories...for corn and salt!? They must use a shit load of oil to make that fucking stuff. No wonder they don't give you the 'nutritional' values at the cinema.

I really can't believe how many calories are in the cinema made stuff...that sucks (gotta make sure I've exercised hard before the next trip to the cinema...or just fight the urge and not have any at all). Damn.
  • fletch7100 7 Feb 2013 11:10:33 7,357 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @liamthemaster

Just looked at those fuel bands, for me just an expensive gimmick. Only extra tech I use is cheap Gps watch for jogs and weighted walks. Just to help plan routes and record time/distance to beat next time
  • CosmicFuzz 7 Feb 2013 11:11:51 24,929 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Turns out my sore knee was my hamstring muscle. Got some exercises and feeling much better. Going to keep the one day a week swimming, feels great.

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• fletch7100 7 Feb 2013 11:23:46 7,357 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @CosmicFuzz
    Good to hear it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Always had problems with tight hamstrings which in turn muck up the lower back/hip muscles
  • CosmicFuzz 7 Feb 2013 11:34:32 24,929 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah it's amazing how the knock on effect works. Would never have guessed my hamstring was making my knee ache! Making sure I stretch everyday and try to keep it nice and loose.

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• sport 7 Feb 2013 11:38:49 12,775 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Yeah it's amazing how the knock on effect works. Would never have guessed my hamstring was making my knee ache! Making sure I stretch everyday and try to keep it nice and loose.
    Foam roller mate.
  • THFourteen 7 Feb 2013 11:39:46 33,875 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @mikeck whats worse is, it doesnt even have enough butter on it anymore!

yeah eating out is difficult to calorie count. Lunch is especially difficult because the only places you can know whats in your food are places like EAT or Pret.

Theres a nice place here that does grilled skin on chicken, rice and salad, but its a hefty portion, and comes with strange green sauce, i cant even attempt to guesstimate how many calories are in it.

off for dinner tonight, tandoori mixed grill i think!
  • Psychotext 7 Feb 2013 11:45:54 54,405 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nandos isn't too bad... well, presuming you like chicken anyway. :)
  • mikeck 7 Feb 2013 11:49:15 1,936 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @THFourteen It's really bloody tough at times.

I did have a chicken pitta wrap from Nandos yesterday and was actually surprised that it wasn't too bad for calories at all.

I'm eating a lot of Innocent veg pots for lunch at the moment, as it's easier to take them into work than try any of the places nearby (not much good eating out in Brentford).

I'll be working in London Bridge in a few weeks though and there is an Eat and various other places for lunches nearby, so I'm hoping I'll have some more eating options. The veg pots are getting boring now as they don't have a lot of variety in the range.
  • pistol 7 Feb 2013 12:05:21 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    sport wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:

1,674kcal lol

I'd take a guess and say that dish is served in a thick creamy white sauce with loads of cheese, coz I reckon that's where the bulk of those calories come from. Chicken and Broccoli on it's own is a super healthy combo. And some pasta is good to get some carbs in.
    Sounds about right, plus I bet they're cooking everything with butter.
  • pistol 7 Feb 2013 12:07:16 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mikeck wrote:
    I had a shocking revelation yesterday about the amount of calories in popcorn...you know that 'healthy snack'. Well if I make home popped corn yes it's okay as a snack...but Odeon popcorn...fuck sake what a shocker!

Usually I share a large salted popcorn with my wife when we're at the cinema and that comes to a whopping 840 calories...for corn and salt!? They must use a shit load of oil to make that fucking stuff. No wonder they don't give you the 'nutritional' values at the cinema.

I really can't believe how many calories are in the cinema made stuff...that sucks (gotta make sure I've exercised hard before the next trip to the cinema...or just fight the urge and not have any at all). Damn.
    Hardly a suprise about cinema popcorn. I used to use it years ago in my bodybuilding days and made my own. Tiny bit of oil and that's it. No salt or butter. Excellent as a carb snack.
  • mikeck 7 Feb 2013 12:18:39 1,936 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @pistol Yeah I should have known really. But that amount of calories still shocks me.

Might have to start sneaking homemade popcorn in from now on :D
  • Dougs 7 Feb 2013 12:19:59 68,474 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Or get a popcorn maker and there's no oil at all!
  • Psychotext 7 Feb 2013 12:31:50 54,405 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    On the subject of food. I bought a new slow cooker yesterday as I need a bigger one so I can make (and freeze) bigger recipes. Fucking thing turns out to be exactly the same size as my current one.

Stated capacity current: 2.2 litres.
    Stated capacity new: 4.7 litres.

Tested capacity current: 4.1 litres.
    Tested capacity new: 4.3 litres.

What the fuck?
  • pistol 7 Feb 2013 12:37:11 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @mikeck

I used popcorn so much back in the day I can't stand the stuff now. Although in my gym days I used to get the seeds from the likes of Holland & Barrat and cook them in the pan with a tiny bit of oil. Very bland, no sugar or anything. The stuff in the cinema I can only imagine is laden with all sorts of crap.
  • CosmicFuzz 7 Feb 2013 12:53:00 24,929 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sport wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Foam roller mate.
    100% this. Got one a year or so back when I had another injury, works wonders. Bloody painful though!

I also like to put it under my thighs and roll my crotch high into the air, whilst staring deeply at the girl stretching next to me.

• sport 7 Feb 2013 13:14:34 12,775 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    sport wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Foam roller mate.
    100% this. Got one a year or so back when I had another injury, works wonders. Bloody painful though!

I also like to put it under my thighs and roll my crotch high into the air, whilst staring deeply at the girl stretching next to me.
    There's nothing worse than using that beast on your IT band. HO.....LY FUCK is that painful, but you do feel amazing afterwards.
  • THFourteen 7 Feb 2013 13:21:59 33,875 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    never tastes quite the same though...

bacon sarnie for breakfast - 400kcal
    Home made chicken bap - 250kcal
    pret sausage soup - 230kcal
    brotein shake - 109kcal

leaves my 800kcal for a fat tandoori mixed grill

which unfortunately probably comes to more than 800kcal :-)
  • sport 7 Feb 2013 13:31:22 12,775 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sausage soup?!?! I think we just found anthonypappa's sock!
  • pistol 7 Feb 2013 13:33:44 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    never tastes quite the same though...

bacon sarnie for breakfast - 400kcal
    Home made chicken bap - 250kcal
    pret sausage soup - 230kcal
    brotein shake - 109kcal

leaves my 800kcal for a fat tandoori mixed grill

which unfortunately probably comes to more than 800kcal :-)
    And how much fat, salt etc?
  • Psychotext 7 Feb 2013 13:40:06 54,405 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm guessing the salt will be pretty high there... but it's been pretty well established that worrying about dietary fat is largely pointless (assuming you're not eating 3k+ calories).

Sadly though the faulty premise has been largely what pushed us down the road of low fat (high sugar) foods and completely fucked us all.
  • Page

of 319 First / Last