EVE ONLINE Page 156

• Page

of 166 First / Last

• orpheus 2 May 2012 20:46:18 1,011 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @ming

GBP pricing kicks in around the 24th May ish (with the Inferno expansion) so that'll be well worth a look if you want to resub. You can plex but it's circa 500 mil a pop nowadays, depends how flush your main is.

EDIT: oh as RK rightly says it's already started!

Edited by orpheus at 20:48:20 02-05-2012
  • ResidentKnievel 2 May 2012 20:47:00 6,289 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think it'll be subscription as soon as the UK price changes are implemented.

Which has already happened, apparently

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• ming 2 May 2012 20:52:26 275 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks
  • bicky316 3 May 2012 10:23:46 53 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Eve is as good as it's ever been and also now cheaper, so you've no excuse not to get back in!

Resi - you'll love the changes to AFs and dessies (although probably not the price of everything these days :()
  • ResidentKnievel 3 May 2012 10:26:46 6,289 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have an excuse, there's only 7 in my bank account.

• onegoodman 9 May 2012 17:45:15 36 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Looking for someone willing to invite me to Eve via invite a buddy program.
  • 4gate 9 May 2012 21:32:52 362 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I can do that for you if someone hasn't already, PM me your email address and I'll sort an invite.
  • orpheus 9 May 2012 21:45:30 1,011 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    onegoodman wrote:
    Looking for someone willing to invite me to Eve via invite a buddy program.
    Can do if you're looking to hook up with the EG corp, pm me if you've not been sorted already.
  • agparrot 11 May 2012 18:58:22 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh wow, just got an invite from CCP to spend 15 free days back in Eve.

I might even download the client just to see how badly my computer chugs under the weight of all the new things they've made it do in the last year... or two since I was last on.
  • ResidentKnievel 11 May 2012 19:51:00 6,289 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oooo, downloading now.

19.99 for 90 days, too, offer ends 19/6/12. That's tempting.

Edit: I'm pretty sure the last time I played I had absolutely no isk or assets due to never doing any PVE.

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 19:53:03 11-05-2012

• monkehhh 11 May 2012 20:06:43 3,497 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    15 free days here too, gonna login and see what I've got (definitely some decent ships, bit of cash and a Plex or 2).. goodbye life.

EDIT - 1,258,271,591 isk in my wallet :)

Edited by monkehhh at 21:13:00 11-05-2012
  • binky Moderator 19 May 2012 10:59:35 9,945 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just installing the free trial, bit scared but really want to see what the fuss is about. Got a feeling I'll just get swamped though. If you have a team on there and fancy throwing me an invite that would be ace.
  • 4gate 19 May 2012 12:04:47 362 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Your first few hours will be playing through the various tutorials. At the end of which you will have money, and ships, and choices. In addition, click the little speech bubble top right of the chat box, and join the eurogamer.net channel. Someone will be around to begin the extremely long process of explaining everything. GL :)

edit - stupid autolink. ignore, just type the name ingame :)

Edited by 4gate at 12:05:48 19-05-2012
  • binky Moderator 19 May 2012 12:34:15 9,945 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ok cool. I've logged out for now as its maintenance o clock apparently. Worth my giving my player name out?
  • 4gate 19 May 2012 12:42:22 362 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Its back up now, and just join the channel, we'll spot you.
  • binky Moderator 20 May 2012 15:14:21 9,945 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gah, this tutorial thing has really bugged me so much that I can't be bothered to go again. Thought I'd work my way from the start of the tutorial again, but get to the combat section and the free equipment it gave me first time around is no longer available, with no hint on how to buy them again :(

Think I'm going to quit while I'm not ahead. A real shame as I wanted to experience what it had to offer but it's just not friendly enough to get started for someone with a mild interest imo.
  • ResidentKnievel 20 May 2012 15:25:47 6,289 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Definitely, despite all of CCP's recent efforts EVE is still fairly opaque to a new player.

It took me a good while to understand things recently after a year not being subscribed. If you want to try something new in EVE it takes ages to get a basic understanding of it, I'd probably do more than just PVP all the time if other aspects of the game were easier to understand.

• binky Moderator 20 May 2012 15:44:49 9,945 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's also real obvious just looking at how much there is to learn that if I wanted to get anything out of Eve as entertainment I'd have to play Eve and nothing but Eve!
  • orpheus 20 May 2012 17:10:28 1,011 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    binky wrote:
    It's also real obvious just looking at how much there is to learn that if I wanted to get anything out of Eve as entertainment I'd have to play Eve and nothing but Eve!
    I don't think it's that so much as it is having an experienced group around to direct your early 'learning' experiences into something useful. You could arse around for hours on say, the industrial tutorials only to discover you detest it; a vet would be able to take what you as a person want out of the game and translate that to a profession, and direct you appropriately. It's easy, especially solo, to get lost in all the hundreds of different options and ships and modules and systems and factions and so on.

Shame cause that sounds exactly like what's happened. If you fancy giving it another go, pm me and we'll sort a time out, I'll come give you a hand and walk you through the tutorial stages until you find your feet. :)
  • binky Moderator 21 May 2012 10:57:51 9,945 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Very kind, thank you.
    We shall see. I might log on and give it one more try before giving up entirely :)
  • IJ 28 May 2012 16:23:39 847 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I decided to download and try this on the 14 day trial this weekend. I've just got a Macbook (the most basic version) so was intrigued to see if it would work. I've never even played an MMO before.

On the positive side the game worked very well on basic hardware on medium setting, I'm not sure how it'd perform in a large battle but I did have room to move the graphics lower. Sadly my connection dropped every hour or so, I guess playing wirelessly isn't a great idea, though 50mb line with Virgin you'd think it would cope.

The fact is, the first few hours of EVE are quite simply terrible for a new user with little to no idea of how it works. I am at least a heavy gamer so understand some basic ideas but for a casual gamer they'd have no chance. I really shouldn't have to resort to youtube several times to have to complete a tutorial.

The first tutorials were generally ok. But when you get to the career specific ones the hand holding isn't close to being good enough. When I took one mission, I had no idea how to get to the area, it was only later when it clicked I had to right-click on the destination in the mission log and click warp to location. That solved a few problems.

But why are the missions so unbelievably dull and drawn out? Having tried to do the exploration missions and failed I tried military. Cue 2 hours of, try the afterburner, fix it, launch, go to area, press one button on the HUD, dock, complete. Rinse and repeat for missiles, warp jammers etc. All of these could easily have been rolled into one mission. Why make me spend 10 minutes per mission just to press one button?

I got given a frigate to run into a pirate and it was going to explode. So I got 100% insurance on it. I got 26k for it from insurance, fine. Then I took the mission for missiles, took me a while and lots of clicking to work out that my two ships had high power slots but not missile hard points. THe frigate that had just been blewn up does have one, so I went to buy it and the cheapest I could get it was 200k? SO why did my 100% insurance only pay me 26k?

To be honest, I did actually enjoy the potential of it and if I had time and it was stable I would certainly stick with it. By the end I was getting a hang of it and things were slowly becomng clearer. But how many thousands of people have been put off EVE by the terrible opening few hours. If I was the developer I'd be ploughing a lot of resources into this area, I'm sure it would have paid for itself several times over by now.

Edited by IJ at 16:25:22 28-05-2012
  • orpheus 28 May 2012 17:48:14 1,011 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @IJ

Yeah, that's not an unfair assessment. The learning curve (cliff) is famously steep and the sheer quantity of information can be overwhelming.

All I can do is repeat the same offer I made to Binky - get in touch via PM and I'll log in & come meet you to help get you started. Join the Eurogamer.net channel in game as well for more help, though with it being summer things are a little quieter than the usual - but everyone in there will be happy to offer advice.

It saves so much frustration. Eve is not meant to be played solo, especially in the early days. You need the support of a corp/group to make the best of it; just being able to ask about stuff rather than spending half an hour angrily searching a wiki will make a huge difference.

Give us a look if you stick with it, offer's still open for Binky too.:)
  • orpheus 28 May 2012 17:48:30 1,011 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Pompeybear 29 May 2012 18:26:22 454 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • agparrot 29 May 2012 19:38:07 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh boy, this is another one of those threads where it appears all the most recent posts have disappeared, so I'm going to post something in it to hope that it fixes it for me.

Also to remind anyone else that got the 15-days-of-EVE-for-free code that I think they expire on the 3rd June, so if you haven't redeemed it yet, and you fancy having a spin around space, there's not long to go until the codes are null and void.

I've downloaded the client, and despite all the sunshine outside, I might even fire it up and show myself just how shit and incapable of running Eve my PC is.
  • 4gate 29 May 2012 19:51:33 362 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You might be pleasantly surprised, my PC can only run stuff like Starcraft II and Civ V at the very, very lowest settings, and still struggle, and any modern FPS would finish it off entirely, but EVE runs fine. Proper in-space EVE anyway, the Capatins Quarters bit is a slideshow, but you only need to turn it off once.
  • binky Moderator 30 May 2012 09:18:38 9,945 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I never returned. It was simply too big a game for me to get to grips with given the little free time I have. Such a shame as the universe absolutely appeals to me.
  • agparrot 30 May 2012 10:59:47 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm sure I won't stay again, and if I don't buck my ideas up, I won't even get to the code in time.

I just have such fond memories of the early LFR days, and I do miss the harsh solitude of space, and even though sometimes it felt like work, dropping out of the wormhole in new and strange places was always quite exciting, establishing who lived outside and in the nearby systems, scanning out whether there were profitable NPC sites, seeing if there was a safe route back to our home systems... borrowing things from stations belonging to other people, without their permission.

Even being tracked down by agents of our enemies was exciting rather than frightening, especially as they turned out to be such a nice bunch of players.

I'll rejoin the eg channel, anyway, and perhaps gift some of my toys away. I can't remember what that app that Dodgy Past used was, where it tells you how much stuff you own, but I'm sure my asset wealth was in the billions, even though my cash wealth was always relatively low as a result of splurging all my money on shiny things and bits for the POS and other stuff.
  • Page

of 166 First / Last