Mario Kart Wii Page 3

• Page

of 1629 First / Last

• spazmo 11 Jul 2007 19:03:33 2,802 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ignatius_Cheese wrote:
    Some (admittedly poor) captures here: linky

Looks like the footage were from tracks on the DS game but can't verify that...

Yes, definitely some DS tracks
  • Deleted user 11 July 2007 19:05:47
    SirScratchalot wrote:
    1 person per kart.
    Anyway, why did some people not get along with DD?

Because it was shit.

Ah, the old ones are all the best. I just found it too slow, and the tracks too gimmicky - I missed the good old days with the razor-sharp handling and incredibly demanding track layouts.

Still if Wii Mario Kart handles like the DS one and has some decent tracks then I'd be interested, can't say I'm all that enthused by the idea of using that stupid steering wheel though...
  • Der_tolle_Emil 11 Jul 2007 19:07:48 7,301 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SirScratchalot wrote:
    1 person per kart.

Yes, only one person per Kart.

Things DD did wrong:

.) Fucked up item balance (being able to hold items for whenever you need it while still being able to use items when switching to the second player)
    .) Slowest Mario Kart yet
    .) Removed ability to jump
    .) No way to shove players off the track or shoot them off the road with items (you automatically get set back to the track instead of having to repeat nearly half of the track when you were knocked down a ramp which should catapult you over another part of the track)
    .) Weak track design
    .) Far too easy (thanks to the tracks as well). And not just against the AI, there was just nothing you could really master in this game like in every other version of the game (N64: Shortcuts, jumping; DS: Snaking)
    .) No possibility to run over other karts when using thunderbold (you just ram them, but you don't flatten them)
    .) Some neat tricks missing, like going off the accelerator when driving over a banana skin. In the N64 version you would start to spin, if you did brake then you are fine and don't spin out. Or evading red shells (power sliding just before they hit you).
    .) Blue Shell doesn't wreck all the players but just player one

And a couple of other things. To sum it all up: Incredibly dumbed down. They took away all the little things and sticked exactly to the rules with no exception whatsoever.

• SirScratchalot 11 Jul 2007 19:08:18 7,877 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @The second post up...
    Well, you probably don't have to.
    As every other peripheral on earth, I really want to try it.

@The first post up..
    Didn't own a Ninty console before the Cube but played Mario Kart DD more than probably any other game ever in multiplayer. It could eat up a 24h period or ten minutes, so I must admit I think the world of it.

Can't really compare it to any earlier iteration though.

Edited by SirScratchalot at 19:10:53 11-07-2007
  • GrandpaUlrira 11 Jul 2007 20:00:10 3,752 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It has to be said I would hope that there are less ridiculously simple tracks in this than there were in MKDD and MKDS. A lot of them were no fun for multiplayer, simply because they were too simplistic.
  • GrandpaUlrira 11 Jul 2007 20:01:19 3,752 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That looks a lot better graphically than MKDD, mind!
  • GrandpaUlrira 11 Jul 2007 20:03:05 3,752 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    More than 8 karts at one time too! Woot!
  • Ace_McCloud 11 Jul 2007 20:59:24 1,385 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Posted this in the other thread, but figured I'd post it hear, because you know, I'll get more action:

Little worried about this, looking at the screens they appear to have taken the DS version and run with it.

NO YOU FOOLS! Harness the way of Double Dash! Harness I say!!!... didn't they read my reader review of Double Dash?!? Freedom of speech means nothing...

If you can't dodge shells/blue shells, ooooo they'll be trouble!

Oh and might I add: Levelling the playing field for advanced player and newbies alike?! Wtf's the point in that? Doesn't that just mean taking away the depth and adding in a bunch of random variables taking away from satisfaction?

The thing I loved about DD was if you were the best, you were the best period.

Edited by Ace_McCloud at 21:01:13 11-07-2007
  • Ace_McCloud 11 Jul 2007 21:06:55 1,385 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Der_tolle_Emil wrote:
    SirScratchalot wrote:
    1 person per kart.

Yes, only one person per Kart.

Things DD did wrong:

.) Fucked up item balance (being able to hold items for whenever you need it while still being able to use items when switching to the second player)
    .) Slowest Mario Kart yet
    .) Removed ability to jump
    .) No way to shove players off the track or shoot them off the road with items (you automatically get set back to the track instead of having to repeat nearly half of the track when you were knocked down a ramp which should catapult you over another part of the track)
    .) Weak track design
    .) Far too easy (thanks to the tracks as well). And not just against the AI, there was just nothing you could really master in this game like in every other version of the game (N64: Shortcuts, jumping; DS: Snaking)
    .) No possibility to run over other karts when using thunderbold (you just ram them, but you don't flatten them)
    .) Some neat tricks missing, like going off the accelerator when driving over a banana skin. In the N64 version you would start to spin, if you did brake then you are fine and don't spin out. Or evading red shells (power sliding just before they hit you).
    .) Blue Shell doesn't wreck all the players but just player one

And a couple of other things. To sum it all up: Incredibly dumbed down. They took away all the little things and sticked exactly to the rules with no exception whatsoever.

Please read my reader review. I beg you. You couldn't be more wrong. Especially about this game being slow, it's exceptionally quick, and dumbed down!?!? Try streamlined. This is the racers mario kart. 2 players per kart allows for tactical weapons play, the track design is immaculate (well in most cases). Hell, even the bugs are awesome (well, in most cases). IMO the greatest MK, and I've played my share of mario kart!! ... If only it had online...

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=62274

Edited by Ace_McCloud at 21:08:20 11-07-2007

Edited by Ace_McCloud at 21:12:16 11-07-2007
  • Deleted user 11 July 2007 21:08:37
    Ace_McCloud wrote:
    Please read my reader review. I beg you. You couldn't be more wrong. Especially about this game being slow, it's exceptionally quick, and dumbed down!?!? Try streamlined. This is the racers mario kart. And I've played my share of mario kart!! ... If only it had online...

What? How can you expect someone to just change their mind on something as fundamental as whether they think the game is 'fast' or not? Either it's quick enough for ya or it's not, but you're unlikely to convince anyone by going 'it's exceptionally quick'...
  • Ace_McCloud 11 Jul 2007 21:14:04 1,385 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nekotcha wrote:
    Ace_McCloud wrote:
    Please read my reader review. I beg you. You couldn't be more wrong. Especially about this game being slow, it's exceptionally quick, and dumbed down!?!? Try streamlined. This is the racers mario kart. And I've played my share of mario kart!! ... If only it had online...

What? How can you expect someone to just change their mind on something as fundamental as whether they think the game is 'fast' or not? Either it's quick enough for ya or it's not, but you're unlikely to convince anyone by going 'it's exceptionally quick'...

I take it you didn't read it then. The game is quick once, you've masterd 'snaking' as the kids are calling it these days. By removing the hop in DD you can snake pretty much everywhere which means that when you're at top speed you've absolutely flying. Most people don't get to see how fast it can go because they trundle along and only powerslide on corners...

Edited by Ace_McCloud at 21:16:09 11-07-2007
  • Tomo 11 Jul 2007 21:20:56 13,985 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Those official shots look, well, very well "selected". Judging from the admittedly hazy captures of the E3 presentation, it looks like DD pretty much. Which is fine by me.
  • haveasafeday 11 Jul 2007 23:30:18 361 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh my that video looks great.

I cannot wait for this.. it looks fun and fast paced!
  • Tomo 11 Jul 2007 23:54:50 13,985 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Jesus. What a crock of bullshit about a Wii Wheel levelling the playing field! How the hell is that going to help a beginner? Are these presentations always full of such nonsense?

That's what the elastic banding is for anyway :p
  • Deleted user 11 July 2007 23:59:07
    Here's hoping that the playing field isn't too level. By all means make the early tracks easy, but the last couple of tracks should have some challenge to them.

Not that I won't be preordering this anyway mind.
  • Deleted user 12 July 2007 00:08:35
    I feel the need to argue with you Fluffy just... well... because.

But I can't really see an opening, not a logical one at least. :(
  • Tomo 12 Jul 2007 00:08:47 13,985 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    More Double Dash is fine by me. There's bound to be something to spice things up tho surely... or are they going back to purer times of Maz Kart? I'm thinking along the lines of two characters here in DD's case.
  • Deleted user 12 July 2007 00:10:18
    Looks to me more like Mario Kart DS than DD to be honest.

Well DS design with DD graphics.

Edit: including 4:3 ratio!

Edited by disussedgenius at 00:11:39 12-07-2007
  • Deleted user 12 July 2007 00:14:18
    It seems logical anyway DD treid to push a co-op type multiplayer whereas this seems to be pushing 'normal' online stuff. So it'd make sense, especially as I think that MKDS sold a fair amount.
  • Deleted user 12 July 2007 00:19:46
    Which is why the wheel thing concerns me a bit, though I think that he did mention multiple control methods (probably like Smash Bros) which would be cool.
  • gamingdave 12 Jul 2007 00:25:42 4,334 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If its DS handeling (they did say there were multiple control methods, so assumingly some classic or cube controller action) with GC visuals, with more than 8 players online at once, im in for definate.

Im sure I noticed one of the DS tracks in there aswell so hopefully well have a load of new tracks and a load of old ones aswell. Same as the way they did it on the DS.

I was hoping more for nunchuck stearing and the wiimote for accelrate, break, hopping and throwing items, but ive enjoyed all the MK games so far and I doubt ill be let down this time. Just a shame its not out now.

If only all the E3 presentations ended like an Apple one, "and its available to download or order from the Nintendo shop now"
  • ecu 12 Jul 2007 00:26:58 77,317 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The game looks rubbish and so does that horrible little controller. :/

They should have overhauled it all, as the whole system is very tired.
  • Deleted user 12 July 2007 00:33:14
    ecureuil wrote:
    ?

It's a Kart game, how different can it be?
  • Sid-Nice 12 Jul 2007 01:26:00 15,851 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was disappointed with the Nintendo conference overall; but I was impressed with Mario Kart Wii, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy and Zelda the Phantom Hour Glass.

What Reggie said about beginners and the Wii Wheel…

“And this is also the Mario Kart where a first timer can immediately stay bumper to bumper with a kart veteran; that’s because of a variety of control choices including a franchise first, a custom Wii Wheel that makes its debut with Mario Kart for Wii. Like The Wii Zapper this custom steering wheel has the potential to level the track for beginners while offering a new feel even if you first started racing with Mario Kart 15 years ago.”

It's blatantly obvious that the level of difficulty will be set via the variety of control choices (settings) that will enable the novice to compete with a veteran.

As for the graphics; I think this version of Mario Kart looks better than the arcade version.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Telepathic.Geometry 12 Jul 2007 02:32:53 11,564 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote: Vid from presentation
    :o Purty... :) Looking forward to this now. :D My only fear is pretty much what the great Emil was saying. In a nutshell, I want the skill to be put back in Mariokart, and the newb-hand-holding to be scaled down, or implemented in different ways. Overall though I'm optimistic. :)

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• ecu 12 Jul 2007 02:35:50 77,317 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    ?

It's a Kart game, how different can it be?

I don't know. :/ I really didn't enjoy MKDS, I hated snaking, I hate the catchup, it just seems to random and skill-less and dull. As a weapons-based racing game, Wipeout is a million times better, and that's the template they should be aiming for in terms of game balance IMO.
  • Blerk Moderator 12 Jul 2007 08:53:35 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well that was unexpected! Not the game announcement, but the reactions in this thread! :-D
  • Pirotic Moderator 12 Jul 2007 09:16:18 20,647 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I knew you'd come around to my way of thinking eventually.

Edited by Pirotic at 09:16:52 12-07-2007
  • Telepathic.Geometry 12 Jul 2007 10:00:19 11,564 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've played Super Mariokart, and Double Dash, so I can't really comment on the N64 title, but Double Dash's main problem for me was that the catch-up was overwhelming. In SMK, as long as you didn't make any mistakes, it took a driver catching up a lot of very sharp driving to catch up.

The power-ups in MK: DD are also designed mostly around catching up. Three green shells in your arsenal is okay, but three reds is just silly. I just think that running around with a three shell shield where in the original you had to use timing to drop a single green shell (or a banana peel) behind you or to powerslide to defend against a red shell seems kinda shit. Bring back the driving skills...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• pjmaybe 12 Jul 2007 10:00:47 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Well that was unexpected! Not the game announcement, but the reactions in this thread! :-D

Everyone's in that sort of a mood at the moment for some reason. Anyone with a Wii will end up getting this. It's the forum equivalent of saying "Phew, Pamela Anderson's looking a bit rough, I wouldn't shag that"

Not being a Ninty fanboy or anything, just saying that owning a wii and saying you're not going to buy MK for it is a bit owning a car and saying you're never going to put any fuel in it.

Peej

• Page

of 1629 First / Last