Sins of a Solar Empire

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous
  • WrongShui 28 Jun 2007 12:21:49 6,574 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I couldn't find a thread about this so...

This.

Anyone tried the betas of this?

I was under the impression it was going to be a real time 4X version of GalCiv2/Space Empires/MoO but its more RTS than anything.

Has a Conquest: Frontier Wars vibe to it. Still looking good though.

Edited by WrongShui at 16:40:30 05-07-2007
  • lost_soul 28 Jun 2007 12:28:56 9,369 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This is unofficially Homeworld 3, isn't it? At least I'm pretty sure it's by the same team.
  • WrongShui 28 Jun 2007 12:30:59 6,574 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Some of the folks are from it yeah.
  • Scimarad 28 Jun 2007 20:41:37 8,499 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This looks fantastic but I really didn't get on with Homeworld.
  • WrongShui 28 Jun 2007 20:50:18 6,574 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    This looks fantastic but I really didn't get on with Homeworld.

Neither did I, this though is pretty fun, even though Beta 2 is pretty barebones at the mo.

Edit : If anyones interested you have till the 9th to preorder and get access to 230 days of beta testing!

Or catch up at beta 3.

Edited by WrongShui at 16:40:07 05-07-2007
  • Deleted user 4 February 2008 17:12:09
    This is apparently now out in the US at least - but available for digital download in Europe.

I loved Homeworld and was wondering if anyone here was on the beta and if so what they thought?

I'm minutes from sticking it on a CC, so someone tell me it's a good idea :)
  • Orange 4 Feb 2008 17:20:13 4,564 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm interested in this, sounds like the game I've been waiting for. A realtime and more accessible alternative to Gal Civ.

Would like to hear any thoughts from people starting on the full version. I understand there's no real campaign, just skirmish map and multiplayer.

• Guv 5 Feb 2008 00:27:18 142 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Played an early beta, it's really GalCiv type map and strategy but with Homeworld style combat. It had alot of issues back then but if it's polished now it'll be excellent.
  • FWB 5 Feb 2008 00:35:32 41,911 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Any feedback would be good. Heard you could save MP games which appeals to me. Just got to hope it's alright and runs on my iMac.
  • hulahoops 5 Feb 2008 01:10:42 2,311 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm playing the full version now.

This is the first I've played of it, no beta testing etc.

I'm hesitant to recommend people buy it just in case I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but so far I'm loving it.

The interface is possibly the most beautifully constructed one I've ever tried. I began to play the tutorial but decided against it -- they usually make more sense once you've actually given the game a play at the deep end.

And yet, I don't think I'm going to need the tutorial. I keep getting the feeling that the game is more complicated than it feels, but it just feels so simple because the interface design is so slick.

Everything just makes perfect sense , as if you've played the game forever.

In fact apart from the front end, which just feels a teensy bit, well, indie game, the game just reeks of polish. Stenches of the stuff. It's been a joy to play so far.

As I say, please don't buy the game on my recommendation though, wait for other opinions. I may just be utterly smitten because I love the interface so much. Not sure. Have to keep playing.
  • figgis 5 Feb 2008 09:34:59 7,382 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Keep us informed Blank, I might invest in this if it's any good.
  • gogobaka 5 Feb 2008 09:45:47 684 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've seen some screenshots where it looks like Eve, but then I saw a video last night where it looked like lots of small dots firing lasers at each other.

So what does the combat look like? Can you zoom out so it looks like small dots and then zoom in so it's explodey and whizzy and impressive?
  • UncleLou Moderator 5 Feb 2008 09:47:51 35,171 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I bought it as well last night, and funnily enough, I was about to post similar things as BlankO

The interface is truly a work of art, and I fully agree with BlankO, it's one of the best and most inutuitive I've ever seen.

I like it a lot so far, and it's addictive as hell, but I am not sure it'll have much staying power. Of course I can't quite judge its depth already, but I could imagine it gets a bit repetitive - no campaign, maps all look pretty much the same, and most probably not as varied as Civilization or GalCiv.

The scale is awesome (reminds me a lot of TA/SC), but it lacks the grandesse of Homeworld - if this game had a Homeworld setting (and slightly enhanced HW II engine and artstyle), I'd love it a a lot more - as it is, it all looks a tad generic, and lacks atmosphere a bit.

Slight problem with the difficulty level: I've won my very first game, 1vs1, on "medium", without many problems.

Sounding a bit negative here, when in fact I played till 2 AM, got up at 7 and played for another hour, and can't wait to get home to continue playing...

• UncleLou Moderator 5 Feb 2008 09:49:02 35,171 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    gogobaka wrote:
    So what does the combat look like? Can you zoom out so it looks like small dots and then zoom in so it's explodey and whizzy and impressive?

You can zoom from a battlecam view where you see all ships seamlessly to a view of the galaxy. It's pretty amazing.
  • haowan 5 Feb 2008 09:54:14 7,384 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Played for 3 hours or so last night.

The game is EPIC awesome, absolutely fantastic.

The RTS side is nicely simplified, so it's really easy to organise your ships - good thing too because you'll end up with hundreds and hundreds of them.

Resources are crystals and metal, and money - money you can get in plentiful supply by setting up trade routes and improving your planets; metal and crystals you get from mining and yield can be improved by research and building certain structures. You can also buy them on the black market, which serves as a kind of stock market - if someone's buying up crystals, the price goes up so it'd be a good time to unload any crystals you don't currently need. Nice feature.

Pirates will attack at regular intervals and will go for the neck of the player with the highest bounty - this leads to a bounty war every now and again where players bid up on opponents to make sure the pirates go after them instead. Pretty great.

Graphics are nice enough without being a drain on the system. Ship models are cute, some are fairly epic, but generally you won't be looking at them close up. The game doesn't seem to stutter or fall over and handles task-switching effortlessly.

The 4x side of things is fairly simplistic - cities (planets) have simple upgrades and serve as hubs for buildings. The whole thing's fairly ingenious really, but I can't put it into words properly. The tech tree is huge, though. I'd say I'd researched 15% of one race's tech tree after 3 hours. Less actually if you count the fleet upgrades which I hardly touched. A really nice feature is culture, which slowly spreads between planets, sort of infecting nearby planets with your culture - it's possible to take over planets like this I believe, which is pretty great if you're not into the whole bombardment thing.

Overall, massive fun, highly recommended from the three hours I played so far.
  • FWB 5 Feb 2008 10:22:27 41,911 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Guess I should've tried the beta when I could to see if it'd run on my system.
  • espy 5 Feb 2008 10:27:44 840 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, this is a bit of a surprise :D Especially the interface comments. I'm a huge fan of Homeworld, but this didn't really interest me, looked to hectic and micro-y. But if the interface is that good...
  • Ginger 5 Feb 2008 10:29:23 6,808 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    dammit, I've got to resist buying more games, i've got a bloody wedding to plan...

London open taekwondo champion

• aldo_14 5 Feb 2008 10:31:23 53 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There will be a demo reasonably soon, apparently (http://bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=84812&boardid=1&id=&view=flatnew&start=24)
  • FWB 5 Feb 2008 10:43:52 41,911 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Guess I'll wait for that. Good thing too as I've got a ton of uni work to do this week.
  • hulahoops 5 Feb 2008 10:50:35 2,311 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    espy wrote:
    Oh, this is a bit of a surprise :D Especially the interface comments. I'm a huge fan of Homeworld, but this didn't really interest me, looked to hectic and micro-y. But if the interface is that good...
    The interface is a thing of beauty. I've never played a game of this scale and depth which wasn't at least a little intimidating when you first start it up and are confronted by space shuttle cockpit-like acres of buttons. This game felt like home right from the start.
  • hulahoops 5 Feb 2008 11:23:21 2,311 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    I like it a lot so far, and it's addictive as hell, but I am not sure it'll have much staying power. Of course I can't quite judge its depth already, but I could imagine it gets a bit repetitive - no campaign, maps all look pretty much the same, and most probably not as varied as Civilization or GalCiv.
    I get the feeling they've tailored it to be multiplayer, with the single player being a simulation of a multiplayer session, in essence.

Albeit a slightly less wonky one than, say, Battlefield 1942.
  • pjmaybe 5 Feb 2008 11:24:15 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sounds good, definitely hoping for a demo though.

• haowan 5 Feb 2008 11:25:25 7,384 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Demo soon apparently. edit: ah as stated above. oops
  • pjmaybe 5 Feb 2008 11:31:04 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aha - good good.

• tincanrocket 5 Feb 2008 11:35:15 2,831 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I took the plunge last night and bought it. Not had a chance to play it yet, but will report back once I have. Looks great from the previews, though.
  • figgis 5 Feb 2008 11:37:01 7,382 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Might have to invest when I get any money.
  • Clive_Dunn 5 Feb 2008 12:45:40 4,762 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I'm tempted by this as well. Review please.
  • MrCarrot 5 Feb 2008 15:13:56 3,516 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think I might risk this tonight, since the feedback seems so positive. It should only be about 25 for the DL version, shouldn't it?
  • haowan 5 Feb 2008 15:16:38 7,384 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep 25 or just under.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous