Gaming apathy (or just getting bored with it all). Page 2

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• caligari 26 Jun 2007 13:43:52 16,999 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Look back, not forward.

I think a lot of gamers these days are too busy focusing their excitement on the upcoming titles. It's easy to look at previews and screenshots and fall for the hype machine - so that when it comes around to actually playing the game, you'll most likely be disappointed.

Just remember that there's at least 25 years worth of great games out there, and more than likely there's a fair few you've missed out on. Some of the best 16-bit games are still as playable today as when they were first released. There's no need to give up on games entirely, just focus on quality over quantity. And try to look for and buy the games that you really want to play, instead of the ones that you feel you should be playing just because they're the latest thing out there.

K

Edited by Kay at 13:10:01 26-06-2007

+1000

Get yourself a Mega Drive or Dreamcast (or possibly even a *spit*SNES*spit*).

Cheaper and a lot more cheerful.

edit: darn typo

Edited by caligari at 13:44:12 26-06-2007
  • tenofspades 26 Jun 2007 14:36:16 1,693 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    have to admit I think I'm no longer enjoying games as much anymore. I've started to try something else recently and thats making games instead! Using game maker you can make 2d games and that and I been trying that. Although not got far so far just made a man jump up and down but some people have made some good games.
  • joeking 26 Jun 2007 20:49:46 1,808 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good question. For me, it's not so much about being bored of games, as it is about no longer having and/or being willing to invest the same amount of time into them as was the case when I was younger. Between college, work, football and my social life in general, I just don't have the time to become so engrossed in the latest game as I used to.

That's why these days, my gaming 'life' basically boils down to two titles: Football Manager and Pro Evo (soon to be replaced by Fifa - maybe). Why them? Well, I love football, neither demand that they be 'completed' and both are well suited to 'snack gaming' habits, so all told, they slot into my current lifestyle perfectly.

That said, I currently have GTA: San Andreas and Company of the Heroes on the go, and am enjoying both, despite the fact that I probably spend no more than an hour or two on each in a given week. And I'm very much looking forward to Halo 3, Mass Effect and GTA IV later on in the year, even though Lord knows when and where I'll actually find the time to even play them...

So no, it isn't a case of me becoming bored of games as such. It's just there are only so many hours in the day, and quite frankly, I have too many other things of greater importance going on in my life right now to give any game other than those aforementioned twin footie powers a look-in.
  • WrongShui 26 Jun 2007 21:06:21 6,601 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have apathy!

Struggling to complete that game?? I wouldn't bother.

Consider how futile it all is...

Take all the games release for all formats in all the countries.

You'll never complete them all, so why bother?

Edited by WrongShui at 21:06:48 26-06-2007
  • BroonBottle 26 Jun 2007 21:11:43 193 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I can completely identify with this thread having a very similar gaming history to the original post. There's definitely an element of having seen it (nearly) all before, just with shinier graphics this time around. It may be an unpopular view but that's precisely how I felt about Gears of War. Also working full-time means that my free time is limited, so I don't want to spend it playing some very ordinary games.

My 360 was starting to attract dust and then Guitar Hero 2 came out (I hadn't played it on PS2) and that definitely renewed some of my enthusiasm for gaming. Now I've got Forza2 (not particularly original, played most of it to death in the form of Gran Turismo 1/2/3/4, but I loving proper driving games) so I just wish I had more hours in the day now!

Take a break from gaming, give it up for the summer or something and come back to it fresh when there's something that you really want to play, rather than just playing a game for the sake of it.
  • _Price_ 26 Jun 2007 21:17:51 3,072 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've had this creeping up on me for a little while now. I've got a back-catalogue of games that I know I want to play but just can't seem to get up the enthusiasm start.

Part of the problem seems to be how little spare time I've had and the rest is the fact that I keep buying 'bargins' that I don't get around to. It doesn't help that half of them are RPGs either.

Still, I'm already chugging merrily through FF XII so I guess I can't complain too much....
  • joeking 26 Jun 2007 21:29:23 1,808 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just to build upon what I said a moment ago, I should add that I haven't sat down to watch a full length movie in quite some time either, for similar reasons. Who has time?
  • BroonBottle 26 Jun 2007 21:37:03 193 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    joeking wrote:
    Just to build upon what I said a moment ago, I should add that I haven't sat down to watch a full length movie in quite some time either, for similar reasons. Who has time?

Me too.

My answer to not having enough time is trying to do two things at once, like now, posting on this forum whilst trying to watch CSI on TV, and it really doesn't work, because I've completely lost the thread in CSI!!!
  • infoxicated 27 Jun 2007 09:43:26 1,072 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I found that almost every game I was looking forward to over the last three or four years has been a let down in some way or another.

It kind of started with Burnout 3, with all its disgusting EA-isms, which led into TimeSplitters Future Perfect and all its disgusting EA-isms. By the time I'd got to Ace Combat 5 and its plot-for-young-teens I'd just about had enough of actually getting excited about new games.

I'm 35 next month and have a year and a half old daughter, so my gaming time is very precious and I'd rather not be wasting it on shitty game design decisions, too. I find I'm much less tollerant of difficulty spikes than I was maybe five or ten years ago. Recently I've gotten to the last mission of both Killzone Liberation and SOCOM 3, only to toss them aside after a few attempts because of either contrived or stupidly difficult final missions. Same with the original God of War, actually - I got all the way through it and after ten or so attempts at the final battle I just got pissed off with it.

Maybe, on the PS2 at least, I'm just jaded by this generation and when I upgrade it'll reinvigorate my enthusiasm. Hopefully. Either that or I'm just getting old and busted. :o\
  • LeD 27 Jun 2007 09:50:47 6,210 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think what you have is gaming apathy. Or maybe you're just getting bored with it all.
  • Carlo 27 Jun 2007 10:04:53 17,948 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I do find myself attracted to playing games that are a bit different, or try to break out of their own genres a bit, even if they aren't as highly regarded as some of the 'generic' games I've already played with a different name.

The exceptions are games that are almost their own institutions (like Zelda, GTA, Final Fantasy, Half Life) that I've completely missed in the past.

It's very hard to quantify, but it just feels like I get little 'return on investment' with games at the moment. And the longer I leave it between goes, the harder it gets to get back into them.

PSN ID: Djini

• Carlo 27 Jun 2007 10:19:12 17,948 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    Why not try something like Mercury Madness Revolution on the Wii?
    What makes you think I don't have it? :D

PSN ID: Djini

• LeD 27 Jun 2007 10:32:08 6,210 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think the key perhaps is to try and identify what types of games really get your blood pumping, and refrain from buying a title just because it got a 9/10. How many times do we do that, only to find out we're not actually enjoying the game?
    That's the mistake I avoided repeating with Forza 2. I know the game is cracking, but I'm not that way inclined, so if I feel like having a racer, I'll turn toward more arcadey stuff.
  • Deleted user 27 June 2007 10:35:52
    what LeD said really.

My last bout of apathy was cured by a few VC games. Super CastleVania in particular I enjoyed immensely - even though I only got though a handful of levels. It reminded me just how far console gaming has fallen in terms of 'proper' games.
  • JayPee 27 Jun 2007 10:52:03 1,490 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Best game I've played recently? - Armadillo Run on my MacBook (using boot camp).

It's a telling experience.

I'm currently trying to finish off Condemned, but find myself drawn to Hotel Dusk, or Ouendan 2 or even Slitherlink a hell of a lot more.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2008 23:16:25
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 13 November 2008 23:16:25
    Post deleted
  • Captain_Peach 4 Sep 2010 12:36:58 2,852 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I know noone likes people bumping old threads but..

I haven't enjoyed a game since Mass Effect 2 and haven't really been excited about a game since Halo 3.

I still like the idea of gaming but no games coming up excite me at all.

/doesn't really know why he's posting this

• MrTomFTW Moderator 4 Sep 2010 12:40:31 37,384 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We only dislike old threads being bumped if there was no reason for it. If you want to add in a constructive way, then go for it.

What systems do you have?

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Captain_Peach 4 Sep 2010 12:45:13 2,852 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've got a 360 and PS3 and a PC that can play kind of Mid range games.

I'm almost mildy excited about Halo: Reach but I think thats more because I want to be.
  • Deleted user 4 September 2010 12:51:25
    I've completely gone off gaming. Last game I played was Starcraft 2 which I loved but I just can't be arsed playing anything. I have a 360, PS3 and PC, with a backlog of great games on each. But I can't be arsed. And for the past few months I've had all the free time in the world, which means the moment I go back to uni and start working again I just know I'll feel like wasting my time gaming.
  • Trowel 4 Sep 2010 12:54:05 17,461 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Captain_Peach wrote:
    I haven't enjoyed a game since Mass Effect 2 and haven't really been excited about a game since Halo 3.
    Sounds like Vanquish might be your cup of tea, but I know what you mean - I play quite a few games for the first few hours, but then I'd rather spend my free time pottering in the garden or something boringly grown up.
  • Rufus 4 Sep 2010 12:58:10 1,754 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trowel wrote:

...but then I'd rather spend my free time pottering in the garden or something boringly grown up.

Your name makes so much more sense now! ;)
  • Pastici 4 Sep 2010 13:00:16 450 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I go through phases, I sometimes look at all my games and just go "I don't want to play any of them", I love them but I go through periods of not being able to drum up any enthusiasm about them. I've ended up getting stuck into Frontierville and I'm pretty sure I've spent more time on that than anything else. According to http://raptr.com/Pastici I've put almost 100 hours into a bloody flash game, a flash game! That is since early June this year too :/.

mowgli wrote:
    But I can't be arsed. And for the past few months I've had all the free time in the world, which means the moment I go back to uni and start working again I just know I'll feel like wasting my time gaming.

I know what you mean there! In a few weeks I'll be back at Uni. The Taboo of playing games when I should be studying make them much more fun, they loose their thrill after exams or during the summer.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 4 Sep 2010 13:00:31 37,384 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I must admit I have a backlog of games to play on the PS3... The 360 and PC just take my time almost completely!

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Captain_Peach 4 Sep 2010 13:06:56 2,852 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    Captain_Peach wrote:
    Sounds like Vanquish might be your cup of tea, but I know what you mean - I play quite a few games for the first few hours, but then I'd rather spend my free time pottering in the garden or something boringly grown up.

Yeah I've got loads of games I want to play but I find playing them to be a chore. Thats if I can even summon the enthusiasm to start playing some games.

I don't have that much time to play games and I end up just wasting my time playing endless games of FM or posting on here.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last