Random rants that don't warrant their own threads Page 247

• Page

of 303 First / Last

• Alastair 29 Jan 2013 15:54:15 15,889 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    "But critics claim the revised pre-school curriculum still places an over-emphasis on desk-based tuition, with children forced to spend too much time practicing reading, writing, spelling and basic numeracy."

I call bollocks on that. He couldn't read or write (and therefore spell) until he got to school. Basic numeracy is counting to 10.
    The nursery didn't have any desks for desk-based learning...
  • TheSaint 29 Jan 2013 15:56:54 14,495 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    "But critics claim the revised pre-school curriculum still places an over-emphasis on desk-based tuition, with children forced to spend too much time practicing reading, writing, spelling and basic numeracy."

I call bollocks on that. He couldn't read or write (and therefore spell) until he got to school. Basic numeracy is counting to 10.
    The nursery didn't have any desks for desk-based learning...
    I think that report is taking into account school Nursery classes, which would have that kind of setup.
  • kalel 29 Jan 2013 16:03:28 87,933 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's an interesting article but I don't think we're talking about that level of structure and certainly not desk based learning, at least not under four.

There's a middle ground I'm sure. Either way my kid gets a much grater variety of "play" at the childminder than at home with me, so he's still better off there at least some of the time.
  • MetalDog 29 Jan 2013 16:05:00 23,697 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    We get so little life to just be before all the bullshit starts, it just makes me sad to think kids are being put into the education system so damn young. If it's still mostly running around, putting toys into mouths and learning to share, fair enough, but if 'targets' are involved, fuck that.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• nickthegun 29 Jan 2013 16:10:07 60,159 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My wife is a childminder, OFSTED graded 'outstanding' and the amount of hoops she has to jump through is phenomenal. She even has to have the food prep certification as if she was a restaurant just to give the kids sandwiches.

Anyway, the upshot is I guarantee that the kids in her care get a more rounded social and learning experience with her than 99% of parents, myself included. She is fantastic with the kids and really brings them on.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• kalel 29 Jan 2013 16:10:50 87,933 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hippy shit aside, young kids actually really like structure and learning and all that.

It's almost as if that's what they need most in fact.
  • TheSaint 29 Jan 2013 16:12:27 14,495 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    We get so little life to just be before all the bullshit starts, it just makes me sad to think kids are being put into the education system so damn young. If it's still mostly running around, putting toys into mouths and learning to share, fair enough, but if 'targets' are involved, fuck that.
    Here are all the details if you have any interest:

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/curriculum/a0068102/early-years-foundation-stage-eyfs

It's pretty regimented.
  • nickthegun 29 Jan 2013 16:12:32 60,159 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    Theres no targets for pre-schoolers. Its just variety of experience and learning outcomes. like one of the wifes themes is 'spring' so they plant potatoes, then in autumn they dig them up again and eat them and in summer they do 'mini beasts' where they go out into the garden and catch bugs and learn their names.

Its more to make sure they arent bored and sat in front of the telly than anything else.

• jellyhead 29 Jan 2013 16:14:14 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    At that age getting them stimulated and curious is great for their development. That's all kids should be doing anyway. Eating mud and bugs and smearing paint everywhere while having a laugh. The serious stuff will come soon enough unfortunately.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• MetalDog 29 Jan 2013 16:17:50 23,697 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Kids definitely need structure in their lives for a sense of security and the learning they'll go after themselves. I object to neither, but starting structured education that early still seems dubious to me.

Either way, I don't have kids, you do - so lets hope you're right.

• MetalDog 29 Jan 2013 16:19:24 23,697 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Theres no targets for pre-schoolers. Its just variety of experience and learning outcomes. like one of the wifes themes is 'spring' so they plant potatoes, then in autumn they dig them up again and eat them and in summer they do 'mini beasts' where they go out into the garden and catch bugs and learn their names.

Its more to make sure they arent bored and sat in front of the telly than anything else.
    That sounds alright =)

• nickthegun 29 Jan 2013 16:21:46 60,159 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its structured for everyones benefit, the childminder/nursery staff and the kids. Its not attainment led, so a kid cant score a D- in kneeding dough and get held back a year.

I do know where you are coming from and the steiner stuff kind of agrees with you.

• MetalDog 29 Jan 2013 16:28:06 23,697 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Let's hope Gove stays the fuck away from pre-schoolers. Is he, or is he on the idealogical march there too?

• Popzeus 29 Jan 2013 16:38:21 8,339 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Who's the guy in the all-pervading video ad on EG today. Is it Chuck Norris? It kind of looks like Chuck Norris.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Popzeus 29 Jan 2013 16:42:01 8,339 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Alastair "critics claim" = "my editor reckons"

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• b0rk 29 Jan 2013 16:51:11 2,772 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AMAZON FIRST CLASS DELIVERY MY ARSE SHIT FUCK OFF FUCK!

damn
  • Rusty_M 29 Jan 2013 17:51:44 4,706 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Now THAT is a random rant.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• jellyhead 31 Jan 2013 11:15:47 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gaaaaah, what is up with Game's website? Every page stalls firefox for about 5-10 seconds. So damned annoying.

• nickthegun 31 Jan 2013 11:25:07 60,159 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Your problem there, sadly, is probably firefox. I really dont know whats happened to it recently.

• jellyhead 31 Jan 2013 11:41:05 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Must be one of the firefox addins i'm using as game is fine with chromium.
    Cheers.

• Psychotext 31 Jan 2013 17:10:11 54,311 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As there is no random musings thread, this will have to do.

I really hate texting people. Family members insist on sending me huge texts with lots of questions which probably take about 10 minutes to type in. What's the point in that shit when it could be sorted faster (and likely more accurately) with a 2 minute phonecall?

Just to annoy them in return I now send myself emails and then copy and paste them into a 15+ message long texts.
  • ronuds 31 Jan 2013 17:51:27 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd rather text than talk! :p

Also, my rant is to complain that the random musings thread has vanished. I don't understand why we're being punished like this.

Edited by ronuds at 17:52:23 31-01-2013
  • jellyhead 31 Jan 2013 17:56:02 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It got shitted up so it was closed. I thought there was another one created but maybe that was shitted up and closed too?

• ronuds 31 Jan 2013 17:57:47 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There was a new one done up yesterday or the day before. That one is completely gone.

I can find the one before that, which was locked.
  • Psychotext 31 Jan 2013 17:59:14 54,311 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    I'd rather text than talk! :p
    You're socially retarded... like most of my family. :D
  • ronuds 31 Jan 2013 18:03:38 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't deny that.
  • chopsen 31 Jan 2013 18:10:51 16,093 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    it could be sorted faster (and likely more accurately) with a 2 minute phonecall
    It doesn't though. A phone call has to start with "hello how are you?" type stuff, then more than likely they will either ask you about something which you had no intention of talking about but you have to reply to, or they then go in to anecdote themselves. And then you get on to the people you have in common sometimes, "have you seen Brian lately?"

Then, after all that shit, you get the chance to ask them or tell the thing that actually triggered the need for the conversation in the first place.

This is all complicated by the fact without non-verbal cues, they can't tell when you're not actually that interested in what they're saying or that you have some form of urgency, for example, and just makes the whole exchange less efficient than if you actually were just stood there next to them.

Fuck talking on the phone. I hate it. Face to face or text.
  • ronuds 31 Jan 2013 18:15:00 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't just blame the family either. There's a reason I'd rather text than talk to my family: Because they're pains in my rear end. And sometimes mean.

I can see PT being mean.
  • Psychotext 31 Jan 2013 18:27:28 54,311 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No... it really doesn't have to. I call someone say literally

"2 quick questions:"

State the questions, get responses...

"Cheers, bye."

I don't get into the social bullshit unless it's a social call. Control the conversation!
  • kickerconspiracy 31 Jan 2013 18:30:51 494 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That fact that Fifteen to One isn't on any more makes me murderously angry.
  • Page

of 303 First / Last