Getting chicken pox as an adult

  • Page

    of 2 First / Last

    Previous
  • smoothpete 20 Jun 2007 10:51:52 31,574 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A guy at work has just found out he's got chicken pox, he's covered in spots today and has not come in. I know that he would have been contagious for the past few days when he was in the office, and I'm shitting it as I've never had it before. I swear I wish my parents had rubbed me on infected children when I was a kid. Now I'm worried I'll catch it and get scarred (I scar easy). Or get fucking shingles or something. Gah.
  • Stickman 20 Jun 2007 10:55:26 29,666 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As far as I'm aware you can only get shingles if you've had chickenpox in the first place, which means you'd only get chickenpox. I say 'only', it's still the most annoying disease ever.

    If you do, try REALLY hard not to pick at them and bathe in Calamine.

    edit - actually, stuff like cancer and AIDS is probably more annoying on reflection.

    Edited by Stickman at 10:56:08 20-06-2007

    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

  • JuanKerr 20 Jun 2007 10:56:20 36,311 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Info:

    What is the link between chickenpox and shingles?

    Once a person has had chickenpox they will develop an immunity to it and will not contract it again. However, the virus lays dormant in your nervous system and if you had chickenpox as a child it may cause you to develop shingles later in life. You can only get shingles if you have previously had chickenpox.
  • smoothpete 20 Jun 2007 10:56:28 31,574 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If I get it I'll strap myself to the bed, Exorcist style
  • Carlo 20 Jun 2007 10:56:53 18,093 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    When they have the spots, it's past the contagious stage IIRC.

    Chicken Pox in adults is dangerous, doesn't it have a change of making you infertile?

    PSN ID: Djini

  • Mike_Hunt 20 Jun 2007 10:57:15 23,526 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Doesn't it make your balls swell right up too?

    Or am I thinking of something else?

    edit: Based on Carlo's post it doesn't look like I'm that far out.

    [MH]

    Edited by Mike_Hunt at 10:57:50 20-06-2007
  • Deleted user 20 June 2007 10:57:23
    Must be going about. Guy in work here just came back this week after three weeks off with it. What a fucking mess he's in!
  • markh 20 Jun 2007 10:57:40 3,598 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    When they have the spots, it's past the contagious stage IIRC.

    Chicken Pox in adults is dangerous, doesn't it have a change of making you infertile?

    I was thinking that - but then i thought it might be mumps if that spreads to your balls.
  • Fat-Boy 20 Jun 2007 10:58:15 4,300 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    Doesn't it make your balls swell right up too?

    Or am I thinking of something else?

    [MH]

    Isn't that mumps? I seem to remember hearing that getting mumps as an adult was pretty dodgy for the old meat and two veg.
  • smoothpete 20 Jun 2007 11:00:29 31,574 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    boabg wrote:
    Must be going about. Guy in work here just came back this week after three weeks off with it. What a fucking mess he's in!
    Oh fuck. Shite, I really hope I don't get it. I understand you can be immune without having had it before, here's hoping.

    Mumps is the bollock / neck swelling one
  • Carlo 20 Jun 2007 11:01:13 18,093 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!

    PSN ID: Djini

  • Mike_Hunt 20 Jun 2007 11:03:37 23,526 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fat Boy wrote:
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    Doesn't it make your balls swell right up too?

    Or am I thinking of something else?

    [MH]

    Isn't that mumps? I seem to remember hearing that getting mumps as an adult was pretty dodgy for the old meat and two veg.
    Hmm... I'm not sure.

    Pete, please keep us posted regarding your testicle size.

    [MH]
  • haowan 20 Jun 2007 11:04:12 7,384 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A friend of mine got it and it was pretty bad. He was really ill for ages and the scars were around for a long time. He's completely back to normal now.
  • jellyhead 20 Jun 2007 11:04:53 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, it's mumps. I'm a child of the 70s so i've had the lot. Whooping cough, Measles, German Measles, Chicken Pox the lot.

    Apart from Mumps so i'm shitting myself but as a slight confounding factor all my mates had it and i went to play with them as a kid, my brothers mates had it and he was sent to play with them and pretty sure the same was true for my sister too but none of us caught it so i'm hoping i've got some natural immunity or i got a mild dose as a kid that i don't remember.

    Scary, it's like exploding nutsack roulette. :(

    This signature intentionally left blank.

  • Fat-Boy 20 Jun 2007 11:04:56 4,300 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    Fat Boy wrote:
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    Doesn't it make your balls swell right up too?

    Or am I thinking of something else?

    [MH]

    Isn't that mumps? I seem to remember hearing that getting mumps as an adult was pretty dodgy for the old meat and two veg.
    Hmm... I'm not sure.

    Pete, please keep us posted regarding your testicle size.

    [MH]

    For an indefinite period. No point taking any risks.

    Also, as an aside, what are you wearing.......?
  • smoothpete 20 Jun 2007 11:05:03 31,574 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    Pete, please keep us posted regarding your testicle size.

    [MH]
    Currently massive, as normal. I will let you know when I'm Buster Gonads sized
  • jellyhead 20 Jun 2007 11:06:54 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fat Boy wrote:
    Also, as an aside, what are you wearing.......?
    Bloody hell Fat Boy!
    The man's not well and you're trying to cyber him! on a forum!
    Jeez, at least use PM/IM would ya! ;)

    / puts on robe and wizard hat just in case

    Edited by jellyhead at 11:08:02 20-06-2007

    This signature intentionally left blank.

  • Fat-Boy 20 Jun 2007 11:08:14 4,300 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    Fat Boy wrote:
    Also, as an aside, what are you wearing.......?
    Bloody hell Fat Boy!
    The man's not well and you're trying to cyber him! on a forum!
    Jeez, at least use PM/IM would ya! ;)

    Sorry, I'm just lonely.

    That and I have a fetish for childhood illnesses....
  • Deleted user 20 June 2007 11:08:55
    /kicks polio shoe under the desk
  • Mike_Hunt 20 Jun 2007 11:09:24 23,526 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fat Boy wrote:
    jellyhead wrote:
    Fat Boy wrote:
    Also, as an aside, what are you wearing.......?
    Bloody hell Fat Boy!
    The man's not well and you're trying to cyber him! on a forum!
    Jeez, at least use PM/IM would ya! ;)

    Sorry, I'm just lonely.

    That and I have a fetish for childhood illnesses....
    You used to jack off over Superted's best mate didn'tcha?

    [MH]
  • Fat-Boy 20 Jun 2007 11:09:58 4,300 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    Fat Boy wrote:
    jellyhead wrote:
    Fat Boy wrote:
    Also, as an aside, what are you wearing.......?
    Bloody hell Fat Boy!
    The man's not well and you're trying to cyber him! on a forum!
    Jeez, at least use PM/IM would ya! ;)

    Sorry, I'm just lonely.

    That and I have a fetish for childhood illnesses....
    You used to jack off over Superted's best mate didn'tcha?

    [MH]

    Whaddaya mean "used to"?!
  • Goban 20 Jun 2007 11:12:19 9,071 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Had shingles when I was 14, eeeeeeeeeeeh gads that was horrible.
  • PES_Fanboy 20 Jun 2007 11:12:20 17,072 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You can get chicken pox twice, there's no complete 'immunity' to it, you old wives.
  • haowan 20 Jun 2007 11:13:44 7,384 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought shingles was a parasite? Why would it have anything to do with chicken pox?
  • jellyhead 20 Jun 2007 11:14:38 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    haowan wrote:
    I thought shingles was a parasite? Why would it have anything to do with chicken pox?
    That's Scabies or Rat Scabies for the old punks here. :)

    This signature intentionally left blank.

  • haowan 20 Jun 2007 11:15:52 7,384 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    haowan wrote:
    I thought shingles was a parasite? Why would it have anything to do with chicken pox?
    That's Scabies or Rat Scabies for the old punks here. :)

    Ah right! I always get those confused.
  • smoothpete 20 Jun 2007 11:19:06 31,574 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    Rat Scabies
    ZINGAYAAAA!!!

    /hacks off colleagues limbs
  • jellyhead 20 Jun 2007 11:19:14 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So do i haowan. :)
    Quite funny when you say someone's got scabies, they look horrified and are desperate to say it's shingles. Apart form one of our less competent managers who got it wrong himself and was telling people he had Scabies. No one corrected him and we let him pariah himself even more than he is already. Great fun.

    This signature intentionally left blank.

  • Fatfish 20 Jun 2007 21:20:12 3,377 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shingles is some nasty shit. I had it last year for about 10 days - wiped me out completely. Every movement I made hurt. Not nice.
  • otto Moderator 20 Jun 2007 22:05:12 49,320 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I got it while interrailing when I was 19. That was a fun trip over the Alps. :/

    I felt pretty sorry for myself but I felt even sorrier for the people sharing a compartment with a shivering, feverish, sweaty, scabby student.

    say no to Eurogamer sigs

  • Page

    of 2 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply