First Time Buyers Page 9

• Page

of 13 First / Last

• mrpon 27 Mar 2013 21:09:07 28,749 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh totally soulless here! Only 5 mins from work though, plus I don't miss drilling into fucking pebbles!

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• JuanKerr 27 Mar 2013 21:11:50 36,239 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I broke a drill bit trying to drill into the wall above our fireplace. Don't get that with a flimsy new build ;)
  • FWB 27 Mar 2013 21:22:57 44,223 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The walls in my new build are thin... plaster and insulation, that's all. But it's bloody warm and completely silent. My neighbour had a house warming party till 5am. Left around 12 am when it was still in full swing but heard sod all in my place. In fact despite living right in London I hear nothing. Total silence. Actually very eerie for me.
  • localnotail 27 Mar 2013 22:04:59 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @FWB BOO! ;)

nickthegun wrote:
    The male idiot who owned our house is still turning up to collect his mail every few weeks because the redirection cost is a 'rip off'.

Which, to be honest, is kind of awkward as every time he comes round we have made further steps to erase the terrible taste him and his wife had.
    How long since you bought the house? I'm not sure I could handle that for more than a month.

9 months on from buying the house we rented and we are living in a strange world of bare plaster after we stripped all the wallpaper back around the windows before the double glazing went in. We've redecorated almost half of the rooms but not yet taken on the huge acres of woodchip that blight the house. Hopefully we'll be able to tackle them in the summer, when it's easier to get stuff done.

So much more to do. It was a rental property for 15 years with very little care. I have 2 lists - 1) Pay someone 2) DIY. They are both very long :( It's a good feeling crossing stuff off though.

Edited by localnotail at 22:10:35 27-03-2013

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Dougs 27 Mar 2013 22:08:56 67,167 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Oh totally soulless here! Only 5 mins from work though, plus I don't miss drilling into fucking pebbles!
    I have the opposite problem.....my walls seem to be made of chalk, no knowing whether you'll get the right size hole or whether it'll all crumble. Makes putting up shelves a right giggle.

Edit: ah, wood chip. That was fun to get off a bedroom ceiling.

Edited by Dougs at 22:09:46 27-03-2013
  • localnotail 27 Mar 2013 22:12:55 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    We've got woodchip on several ceilings. Turn of the century plaster ceiling roses and coving - with fucking woodchip.

• Dougs 27 Mar 2013 22:16:06 67,167 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Took us days. Top tip though...take up the carpets! Schoolboy error.
  • THFourteen 27 Mar 2013 22:18:50 33,175 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Weird feeling spending my last night in a flat I've lived in for eight years...
  • Vortex808 27 Mar 2013 22:20:21 7,064 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dougs wrote:

Edit: ah, wood chip. That was fun to get off a bedroom ceiling.
    Don't. I am still mentally scarred after removing woodchip from the hall ceilings during renovations when the missus was 'nesting' prior to the lad's birth. A totally soul destroying nightmare to remove.

Worth it in the end, but we have a lot more wood chipped ceilings here. Almost tempted to leave them well alone and just get them skimmed by a plasterer.

Edited by Vortex808 at 22:21:01 27-03-2013
  • localnotail 27 Mar 2013 22:22:37 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    We've still got the old rental carpet in. Thin, cheap, hardwearing brown mix. Hides all stains, gives no comfort. It's leaving as soon as we get the walls & ceilings done. Some of the ceilings upstairs need replacing. At some point, someone has slapped plasterboard up over the lath & plaster. Everything needs to come down & be rebuilt. Not really expensive in materials, just time & effort.

It'll be worth it. Both lists are long though.

• Dougs 27 Mar 2013 22:22:44 67,167 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If I had more than one, that's exactly what I would do!
  • localnotail 27 Mar 2013 22:25:10 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Weird feeling spending my last night in a flat I've lived in for eight years...
    Exciting! New adventure awaits. Hope the move is painless easy for you. Pack the tea/coffee stuff last, open first.

I've lived in a fair few places in my adult life. It is nice to have a home finally.

• THFourteen 27 Mar 2013 22:35:19 33,175 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @localnotail

Cheers!

It's funny my parents were both junior doctors when I was young, so lived in loads of different houses and flats in different places until I was 15, when my parents moved into a house they still live in now. I'm extremely attached to that house and area and all the memories of school friends I have there.

My flat is a weird thing, I never wanted to move to the isle of dogs, but 8 years ago it was the best value for money I could get, and so convenient. Lived here with a close friend for a couple of years and then my wife for the last five or six.

Still as you say, looking forward to the next stage, and "our home" as opposed to "my flat".

Tea and kettle not packed yet either, men and truck coming at 8 am :)
  • MadCaddy13 27 Mar 2013 23:10:13 1,880 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm 27 and I'm finally moving out of my parents house that I've lived in all me life. Completion date is 5th April. I'm hoping we get the keys then too. It's took 2 months from getting our offer accepted to here, felt like 2 years! Can't wait to get stuck in really!
  • henro_ben 28 Mar 2013 09:14:50 2,215 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I seem to be half way through a whole range of diy projects at the moment. Have finished relaying a new floor in the kitchen, am 2/3rds of the way through redecorating the front room - delayed somewhat thanks to finding a layer of artex under the wallpaper (and another layer of painted wallpaper under the artex!), should have the bathroom walls sanded & filled tonight ready for painting tomorrow and sadly still have 6 1950's kitchen cabinets waiting to be stripped and repainted. Plus still have the huge list of things start doing...

Owning a house is seriously eating into my gaming time :-(
  • THFourteen 28 Mar 2013 09:15:35 33,175 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well the movers are incredibly efficient! They'll have everything in the truck by half ten for sure.

No sign of keys till at least mid day tho.

Not sure what to do with myself!
  • Deleted user 28 March 2013 09:24:02
    Goto the pub
  • nickthegun 28 Mar 2013 09:27:28 59,429 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    How long since you bought the house? I'm not sure I could handle that for more than a month.
    *counts on fingers* about five months. The blatantly important stuff has dried up, so now its more or less all junk mail, with the odd exception of stuff like post from the doctors..

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• THFourteen 28 Mar 2013 10:02:18 33,175 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Goto the pub
    Heh not a bad plan.

Apparently we've completioned!

Just need to give he owner an hour or two to move out
  • THFourteen 28 Mar 2013 10:02:24 33,175 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Benno 28 Mar 2013 10:04:27 9,841 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How much did the removal service put you back?
  • nickthegun 28 Mar 2013 10:13:23 59,429 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We had the people do the works and it cost 650. They came in, packed our shit, dismantled the beds and then put them up on the other side. Genuinely worth every single penny as those little guys were dynamite.

He totally called it

• THFourteen 28 Mar 2013 10:16:27 33,175 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So we didn't pay for full packing, just 5 clothes hanging boxes, dismantling and packing bed, sofa, futon, two Tvs, computer monitor, hifi and packing all the breakables in the kitchen. Everything else we packed ourselves into about 25 boxes and bags, suitcases and bin liners lol

Two bed flat for all that was about 520quid for the day. No extra charge for waiting.

Bear in mind they have been great so far but I'll wait until they unpack before recommending them.

Having said that it's awesome just to sit here and let them get on with it. Will have to give them a good tip.
  • Alastair 28 Mar 2013 10:17:50 15,603 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    localnotail wrote:
    *counts on fingers* about five months. The blatantly important stuff has dried up, so now its more or less all junk mail, with the odd exception of stuff like post from the doctors..
    At what point can you just say 'Fuck off it's in the bin'?
    Next time he comes you probably ought to say something along those lines. Or, just leave his post under a brick at the end of the drive or something.

Or, tell him that a purple alien showed up and nicked all his letters.

Not as nice as I used to be

• nickthegun 28 Mar 2013 10:22:17 59,429 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the last time was the last time he intended to come.

He gave us an A4 self addressed envelope and asked us to post him anything that came by the end of the month. It had a hilariously optimistic, single first class stamp on it, so I stuffed it with everything that came through the door that didnt have our name on it to stop the stupid cunt doing it again.

He totally called it

• mcmonkeyplc 2 Apr 2013 14:36:46 39,438 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sooooooooo you know the whole it looked fine a few months a go thing? Well the bitch let the place go.

Spent most of the weekend cleaning up the place. Shampooed the carpet and cleaned every inch of the tiny place. She was a dirty bitch after all :)

Also noticed a radiator hanging off the wall being held up by a stool. It still works but it's a hassle I could've done without.

All in all I NEVER WANT TO DO THIS AGAIN!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Shikasama 2 Apr 2013 14:54:44 6,750 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Interesting stuff about the packing costs. We have finally got an idea of what sort of mortgage we'll be looking at. I can tell already that this entire process is going to annoy the hell out of me so expect some rants over the coming months.

I have been thinking about what I'll do with some of the furniture like. A lot of it is getting axed into little itty bitty pieces to help with my rage issues but some of it is decent stuff and I don't want to be unloading/loading shit all day.

We've had a cursory look at houses and the missus wants to stay in Colchester. That means I have to accept the fact that at some point some estate agent or mortgage broker is going to fuck me up the arse because of the proximity to London. A lot of houses look shite from the outside but decent on the inside.

It sounds absolutely stupid as well but I don't get why some terraced houses are so close together. I know that sounds retarded but I can't really articulate what I feel when I see a terraced house with a front door next to the front door of the next house. It just screams that all I'll be hearing is next door screaming.
  • elstoof 2 Apr 2013 15:01:28 7,000 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And to think you wanted to buy her bed mcmonkey.. For shame.
  • THFourteen 2 Apr 2013 15:34:40 33,175 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We need new painting and filling and new carpets before we can start looking at furniture really. The woman had looked after the place OK, but all sorts of little things you have to do when you move in - she'd lost the key to the garage so the door is dismantled, she'd lost the key to the front door chubb lock so we needed the locksmith round, she'd lost the key to the internal garage door so i needed to take the lock to wickes and replace it myself, the sink was leaking so the FIL had to repair it, one of the big glass panels in the dining area has condensation between the double glazing - not sure what to do about it but it looks fugly, the pilot light on the stove is broken, the kitchen sink taps are utterly unusable (hot is either massively on or not on, so have to use a washing up bowl) etc. The kitchen is old and really needs replacing.

I would say it will be about 6-12months before we have it in a good way, and thats assuming we can source the money as we are both now broke!

But having said that, totally happy with the house itself and its location so i can deal with the little shitty jobs.

Re terraced housing, we had the same discussion, smaller terraced house in twickenham in a nice area that we wanted to live in, or massive detached "mansion" in the outskirts like orpington or petts wood in an area where we don't know anyone and its not quite as swish. Depends what its worth to you really. You are definitely at the mercy of having nice neighbours.
  • mcmonkeyplc 2 Apr 2013 15:38:40 39,438 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I shudder at the thought, although I am sleeping on a shitty temporary mattress at the moment so her dirt might have been comfortable at least.

/itch

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Page

of 13 First / Last