First Time Buyers Page 7

• Page

of 13 First / Last

• henro_ben 15 Mar 2013 09:00:11 2,211 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Was 11 weeks for me, from offer accepted to completion - and that was a probate sale so should have been pretty quick.

It was the mortgage that slowed everything down, the lenders were being very picky last year.
  • elstoof 15 Mar 2013 09:01:35 6,639 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Keep one eye on the market, somewhere you like even more might come up that you'll miss because the vendors of this place are holding things up. It could take them months to find somewhere.

Then after a few months of waiting/looking and they suddenly need a quick sale, your offer is still on the table - which you can renegotiate to a better price if you're that way inclined, because you've seen something cheaper/nicer/you've paid a fortune in rent waiting etc.
  • THFourteen 15 Mar 2013 09:35:34 32,880 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @elstoof thanks mate, i'll check out rogers, although the mrs is tasked with organising removals, i've got the lovely task of phoning up various call centres and cancelling bills / council tax etc.

Also we are going to try and rent out my flat instead of selling outright, so i need to buy furniture, call the estate agents, organise painting etc, ugh i'm tired just thinking about it.

Out of interest, when you are moving house, can i apply for my line rental and broadband before i actually get there? or will that feck with the person who currently lives there?

we saw the place around the 11th december, offer was accepted about a day later, and surveys and stuff took a couple of months, and completing on the 28th march
  • elstoof 15 Mar 2013 09:38:01 6,639 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You usually can't set up a new phone line until the existing one is shut down, I've had that shit to deal with before. You might be able to arrange any engineer visits required in advance though.
  • MrWonderstuff 15 Mar 2013 11:16:47 1,923 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks gents - elstoof thanks for the tip. I suppose with no contract signed we can still keep an eye on stuff coming up. But you are right it could take them months to find...not too much of a problem as my g/f is a teacher and would prefer the summer hols to move. This thread could be quite useful as I journey onward.
  • elstoof 15 Mar 2013 11:23:40 6,639 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Until you exchange contracts, anything could happen. You don't owe them anything and nor do they owe you, they may decide to stay put and waste a few months of your time thinking it was all sorted, or someone else could offer more money.
  • THFourteen 15 Mar 2013 11:43:09 32,880 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Our seller ended up having to give the people she is buying from 2k to feck off to a rented place so that we could complete on the 28th, despite them having told her they had no chain when it first started.

exchanging contracts is quite a relief tbh!
  • freddymercurystwin 18 Mar 2013 16:03:05 408 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just sold a house to a first time buyer, from going on the market to handing over the keys: 2 months and 1 week! Sometimes it can be smooooooooth sailing!
  • mcmonkeyplc 18 Mar 2013 16:05:33 39,387 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I complete on the 27th.

Starting to get nervous now.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• THFourteen 18 Mar 2013 16:07:08 32,880 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    cool so you'll be all moved in and can help carry all my sh1t on the 28th ;-)

joking aside, we'll have to catch a game sometime after i've moved in, i need to know where the good footy pubs are
  • mcmonkeyplc 18 Mar 2013 16:12:21 39,387 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah I'll be up for that. The Bear and the Patch are good for sport.

Richmond has a few that are nice as well.

• THFourteen 25 Mar 2013 09:11:52 32,880 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    3 days to go... arrrrgh don't know if i've done everything.

also organised the virgin media people to come round between 1 and 6pm to install internet on thursday as i can't take any time off to wait in the week after...

but we might not have the keys that early, yikes!
  • disusedgenius 25 Mar 2013 09:49:24 5,225 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And I'm off at lunchtime today to reserve a flat. Shit just got real fast!

Apologies though: It's not in Twickenham, so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to contribute to the thread. :)
  • mcmonkeyplc 25 Mar 2013 10:05:47 39,387 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I organised the broadband (plusnet) to be installed on Thursday morning, the day after I get the keys.

I'm moving from apprehension to dread now. Everyone keeps asking if I'm excited, I haven't been excited since the offer was accepted, it just feels like a massive burden now.

• henro_ben 25 Mar 2013 10:06:22 2,211 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just had confirmation call about the cavity wall & loft insulation being carried out on my new house... thank you very much British Gas, free is exactly the price I was looking for :-)

Surveyor also told me that the back boiler I've got is due to be classed as dangerous/illegal next year - meaning that it'll either be removed/replaced for free or I'll get a big chunk o' change to put towards getting it done!

Awesome news! Starting to look like the only things flagged up on the survey I'll actually need to pay for is replacing a window :-)

Edited by henro_ben at 10:09:23 25-03-2013
  • henro_ben 25 Mar 2013 10:08:49 2,211 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    I organised the broadband (plusnet) to be installed on Thursday morning, the day after I get the keys.

I'm moving from apprehension to dread now. Everyone keeps asking if I'm excited, I haven't been excited since the offer was accepted, it just feels like a massive burden now.
    I felt exactly the same, when I finally got the keys I basically walked into the house, switched the heating on and then burst into tears! It's a very stressful business, you don't realise how stressful until it's suddenly over and the relief hits you.
  • mcmonkeyplc 25 Mar 2013 10:17:37 39,387 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    henro_ben wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:

I felt exactly the same, when I finally got the keys I basically walked into the house, switched the heating on and then burst into tears! It's a very stressful business, you don't realise how stressful until it's suddenly over and the relief hits you.
    The thing is though, I hadn't felt anything for ages. I just got on with things as everything was a few months away from happening. I didn't feel stressed or anything, it's just suddenly crept up on me. Probably cause all the acquisition costs have now been spent and it's all very real.

Oh well, guess I'll get used to it and I need to remember that I own the flat as well as the debt :)

• disusedgenius 25 Mar 2013 10:18:46 5,225 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm also starting to realise why DFS have continual sales on - sofas are fucking expensive!
  • mcmonkeyplc 25 Mar 2013 10:20:41 39,387 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    I'm also starting to realise why DFS have continual sales on - sofas are fucking expensive!
    HAHA! :)

Yup, I only just realised how expensive furniture is!

• THFourteen 25 Mar 2013 10:29:30 32,880 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've found it stressful in terms of organisation, but my wife is very organised and we have a spreadsheet for everything (accountant!) so that takes a lot of the pain out of it.

Whats been more stressful than moving house is actually doing up the current flat to let it out, and packing our belongings. Just never ending list of tasks.

Also watching all your hard saved money drain away is worrying... we are taking our bed and sofa with us, but not sure we'll be able to get much else for a while.

I still feel excited though.
  • henro_ben 25 Mar 2013 11:00:28 2,211 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    I've found it stressful in terms of organisation, but my wife is very organised and we have a spreadsheet for everything (accountant!) so that takes a lot of the pain out of it.

Whats been more stressful than moving house is actually doing up the current flat to let it out, and packing our belongings. Just never ending list of tasks.

Also watching all your hard saved money drain away is worrying... we are taking our bed and sofa with us, but not sure we'll be able to get much else for a while.

I still feel excited though.
    Ha, I've been in my new house for almost 3 months now and I still only have a bed and a sofa! Actually that's not quite true, I also have a 1960's Ercol coffee table and an exceedingly cool 1950's light up cocktail cabinet...

Oh... and six 1950's cantilevered kitchen cabinets in various stages of being stripped/primed/painted, arf!

Thank god for ebay is all I can say!
  • scott1987 25 Mar 2013 11:02:18 123 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I moved into a rented place a few months back and i never want to move all my stuff again, such hard work.
  • mcmonkeyplc 27 Mar 2013 14:48:20 39,387 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Completion done! :S

I wonder if the fuckers have cleaned the place.

• nickthegun 27 Mar 2013 14:51:44 58,885 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Probably not. It took us (say 'us', I mean the wife and her mum) two full days to wipe the mank from our current place.

I think they were hobbits as everything over 5 feet high was disgusting.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• JuanKerr 27 Mar 2013 14:54:42 36,204 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We had the opposite problem - everything waist high and above was fine, but as soon as you moved towards the floor, there was shit (not literally) everywhere.
  • mcmonkeyplc 27 Mar 2013 15:08:00 39,387 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well every time I saw the place (5 times) it was pretty damn clean and the last time I saw it was in the middle of Jan so unless she's gone to town on the place it should be ok...I hope.

• nickthegun 27 Mar 2013 15:11:18 58,885 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its always the way, though. As soon as you take the furniture out of a place and have a good look, the place looks like a right shite hole.

He totally called it

• BravoGolf Moderator 27 Mar 2013 15:12:02 12,740 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Completion done! :S

I wonder if the fuckers have cleaned the place.
    Awesome, congrats!
  • JuanKerr 27 Mar 2013 15:12:25 36,204 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    True, but when we moved out of our last place, we had a final clean when the place was totally empty. Didn't want to leave it looking skanky.
  • nickthegun 27 Mar 2013 15:18:53 58,885 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So did we but everywhere we moved into has been a shit tip.

I think, to be honest, the main problem was that we had an offer accepted and they fucked around for six months until they moved out, so as soon as they accepted our offer, happy days. No need to keep the house in sellable condition.

He totally called it

• Page

of 13 First / Last