Heavy Rain

• Page

of 99 First / Last

Previous
  • Red-Moose 1 May 2007 13:04:54 5,346 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Having a browse on Yes Asia for impending PS3 games, I found this adventure game called Heavy Rain. I haven't heard of it before, but I'm sure others here have.

Both PlayAsia and YesAsia both list it as being released in June 2007. Unfortunately, other websites list it as being released in Q3 2008 which is a long time off. Anyone know anything solid about it? Nomad Soul was quite cool, and quite French, so this could be an interesting game to watch for, as long as EA doesn't buy Quantic Dream and it becomes Heavy Rain Extreme 2009.

They don't list anything for either Xbox 360 or PC, so have they been cancelled?

-------------------
    US Launch Date: June 1st 2007 (according to Yes Asia)
    EU Launch: Unknown
    JP Launch: Unknown

-------------------

Youtube video: "Heavy Rain - The Casting" - it's a PS3 demo, graphics look stonking, especially at around 4:00 with the lightning.

Edited by Red Moose at 13:07:13 01-05-2007
  • Flightrisker 1 May 2007 13:07:30 18,096 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Almost a year on... :)

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=55323&category_id=74
  • GrandTheftApu 1 May 2007 13:07:58 6,119 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah that tech demo has been out for a while. The same people who made Fahrenheit are doing this I think. Not sure what to expect, I didn't think Fahrenheit lived up to it's potential at all.
  • TakeTheVeil 1 May 2007 13:10:40 5,058 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    this is one of the system sellers for the PS3 for me.. wont be picking up PS3 until on of them come out.. tech demo looked fantastic..hopefully lives up to expectations
  • CosmicFuzz 1 May 2007 13:10:46 23,385 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I LOVED Fahrenheit! :D Apart from the crazy third-act perhaps, but up till then I fupping loved it. Is Heavy Rain due out for 360 as well?

/pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease

Can video games be a force for good? My latest article says yes!

• kalel 1 May 2007 13:11:48 86,436 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    I LOVED Fahrenheit! :D Apart from the crazy third-act perhaps, but up till then I fupping loved it. Is Heavy Rain due out for 360 as well?

/pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease

Agreed, I even quite enjoyed the weird third act. Good game.
  • captbirdseye 1 May 2007 13:12:19 4,787 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You shoud watch it in HD. Its one of the most unsettling experiences i have ever had when watching a game trailer.

• Flightrisker 1 May 2007 13:15:08 18,096 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    You shoud watch it in HD. Its one of the most unsettling experiences i have ever had when watching a game trailer.

The only time I've been watching a computer generated image and forgotten that it was cgi. And it's not even the graphics which are fantastic but I have seen, if not better, as good graphics before. it's the animations, the little things, that just bring it to life.
  • captbirdseye 1 May 2007 13:15:59 4,787 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Flightrisker wrote:
    captbirdseye wrote:

The only time I've been watching a computer generated image and forgotten that it was cgi. And it's not even the graphics which are fantastic but I have seen, if not better, as good graphics before. it's the animations, the little things, that just bring it to life.

Very true, although her teeth just dont look right.
  • TwistidChimp 1 May 2007 13:17:14 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yup, amazing stuff, just a tech demo obviously but with Farenheit as a learning experience, I reckon Mr Cage & his team are going to make something pretty special.

The HD version

Edited by TwistidChimp at 13:18:00 01-05-2007
  • Flightrisker 1 May 2007 13:18:21 18,096 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Flightrisker wrote:
    captbirdseye wrote:

Just like in real life

http://comoedia.fr/afficheActeur/7008
  • captbirdseye 1 May 2007 13:19:41 4,787 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Flightrisker wrote:
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Flightrisker wrote:
    captbirdseye wrote:

Just like in real life

wow, didn't realize that .

/hides scared
    http://comoedia.fr/afficheActeur/7008
  • TwistidChimp 1 May 2007 13:19:51 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Flightrisker wrote:
    captbirdseye wrote:

Thats the point, she is actually a real person, with flaws, thats why its so affecting as far as i'm concerned.
  • captbirdseye 1 May 2007 13:20:28 4,787 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TwistidChimp wrote:
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Flightrisker wrote:
    captbirdseye wrote:

Thats the point, she is actually a real person, with flaws, thats why its so affecting as far as i'm concerned.

Hmmm, never really thought of it that way.

Edited by captbirdseye at 13:20:45 01-05-2007
  • GrandTheftApu 1 May 2007 13:25:22 6,119 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Her lips don't move correctly at all, even basic cartoons do a better job of matching mouth shape to the sounds being produced.
  • TwistidChimp 1 May 2007 13:29:33 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GrandTheftApu wrote:
    Her lips don't move correctly at all, even basic cartoons do a better job of matching mouth shape to the sounds being produced.

Yeah, its actually the synching thats out, its a few miliseconds out and it really ruins the illusion. There was a bit of software in the original thread that could sort the timing, made all the difference.
  • TwistidChimp 1 May 2007 13:31:03 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Found it, VLC media player lets you do it, download the HD version of the trailer, open it in VLC, then In VLC go to settings / preferences and in the Audio tab, click the Advanced options box in the bottom right, At the bottom of all the options that appear is an Audio desynchronisation compensation field. Set that to -130 and bobs your uncle.

Edited by TwistidChimp at 13:34:39 01-05-2007
  • MoGamer2006 1 May 2007 13:33:10 975 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That looked... rubbish!!! The face just looked freakish - like a wax dummy.

And somebody should send her to a good dentist so she can get those teeth fitted properly!

Nice motion capturing, tho'.

Edited by MoGamer2006 at 13:34:14 01-05-2007
  • Razz 1 May 2007 13:33:15 60,795 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Flightrisker wrote:
    Almost a year on... :)

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=55323&category_id=74
    Damn I was just about to link it, all info on how to play this file in this thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• TwistidChimp 1 May 2007 13:38:34 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What with Cage's interests in how desicsion's made early on have an effect later, and taking into account what 'Mary' says in the trailer, I'm thinking that Heavy Rain might be almost like a life simulator for that one character, the decisions you make dramatically altering how her life turns out. That would certainly be interesting if he managed to pull it off well.
  • pjmaybe 1 May 2007 13:41:27 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fahrenheit made me want to insert high pressure airhoses under my eyelids and blow my eyeballs out of my arse.

QT events = OK
    Long QT= Not keen
    Long QT with no fucking save point directly after you've completed it meaning you had to go right back to the start of the QT event if you fucked up right at the end = EYEBALLS BLOWN OUT OF ARSE!

Peej
  • Deleted user 1 May 2007 13:43:52
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Fahrenheit made me want to insert high pressure airhoses under my eyelids and blow my eyeballs out of my arse.

QT events = OK
    Long QT= Not keen
    Long QT with no fucking save point directly after you've completed it meaning you had to go right back to the start of the QT event if you fucked up right at the end = EYEBALLS BLOWN OUT OF ARSE!

Peej

I never could get past that one on the roof where you fight the oracle guy. Furthest I managed to get was where you're running along a wall with the girl in your arms. Bloody Xbox triggers...
  • TwistidChimp 1 May 2007 13:43:55 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:

QT events = OK
    Long QT= Not keen

Peej

I have to admit, the increasing and over reliance on blinking QT events as the game went on, plus the ever increasingly loopy plot really spoiled the second half of the game for me. The most annoying thing about the QTE's was that you had to be so focused on pressing the right sodding buttons you couldn't watch what was acutally going on on the screen half the time.

I can only hope that Quantic have learned an awful lot from Farenheit. I read an interview with Cage where he fully recognised the mistakes he'd made with Farenheit, so i've got high hopes for HR.
  • Deleted user 1 May 2007 13:44:54
    What's a QT again?
  • pjmaybe 1 May 2007 13:45:25 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I hope so.

I thought the demo was ace, the way the game started out was ace - then in the full game suddenly it all went a bit wonky.

I will say this for the game - it introduced me to Martina Topley Bird. It's like having a woman come all over your inner ear. Lovely.

Peej
  • Blerk Moderator 1 May 2007 13:46:49 48,225 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bugger. I thought there was some new news or something.
  • TwistidChimp 1 May 2007 13:47:08 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    boabg wrote:
    What's a QT again?

Quick Timer Event, as coined by Yu Suzuki for Shenmue.

edit - or Dragons Lair I suppose if you want to go back that far. First time I heard the expression was from Shenmue however.

Edited by TwistidChimp at 13:52:18 01-05-2007
  • Page

of 99 First / Last

Previous