Can't get wireless setup. Plz help.

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • rHy0 23 Mar 2007 23:22:42 20 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    Title says all. I do have a wireless ethernet setup which I already use for my PC's. When I go through the PS3 network settings I get asked for IP address and such... Don't have a clue what that is and how to get it.

So plz help me out if you can!

Thanks.

Edited by rHy0 at 23:23:24 23-03-2007

Edited by rHy0 at 23:24:05 23-03-2007
  • northernlights 24 Mar 2007 00:39:30 646 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok I dont have a PS3 so I will do my best...

What make of router do you have ???? Im suprised its asking you to put an IP address in I would of thought it would just scan for a wireless network. One reason it may not be connecting is you have security on your wireless router.

You need to find your routers ip address. i.e your gateway - which is your access to the outside world.

If you own a windows PC, go to Start, Run, type cmd in here, press return

Now in the black window that appears type ipconfig that should show you your router/gateway address. This should be the IP address you need.

Hope that helps, im not a windows person but I think thats right
  • rHy0 24 Mar 2007 01:01:02 20 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hi. The make is netopia.

I just found my IP address and I keyed it in but still won't pass internet connect test.

I have a couple more things up here to try so I will have a few more attempts.
  • kalel 24 Mar 2007 01:03:27 86,240 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It does all that automatically. Just choose your router from the list and then choose the 'easy' set up. It should just do the rest itself.
  • rHy0 24 Mar 2007 02:00:55 20 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    Right thanks I will try again, although setting everything to auto detect is what I originally tried that didnt work. Maybe I left out something.
  • Carrybagma 24 Mar 2007 02:13:06 3,904 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dear new poster,

I refer to to the excellent thread here. where someone is bound to help you out.

:o)
  • just4funUK 16 Apr 2007 14:15:29 570 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Have you got your wireless working if not post on here and I will try to help you.

You may have your wireless set to not send out its SSID if this is so (It is more secure to have the SSID transmittion set to off) The auto detect will not find your wireless access point. You will need to pu this in manually.

Also if you are using wpa-psk you will need to enter your pre-shared key onto the Ps3 settings.

Edited by just4funUK at 14:21:57 16-04-2007
  • BDE 14 Jun 2008 16:49:38 1 posts
    Registered 6 years ago

I got the same problem, the automatc everything aproach didnt work, so i put in the IP and all that Jazz manualy.. When i test for a connection i get past the obtain IP adress bit, but not internet conection??

Im not sure if there is a password or not, would this make a difference??

It does say after it fails that 'An error occured during communication with the server. This is a DNS error.'

But i put in the exact DNS?? I total confused, can anyone help??

If i dont reply here could sumone email me?? Im quite forgetful!!

BrainDead_Army@fastmail.fm

Thanks =]
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next