Amsterdam... Page 4

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• Big-Swiss 16 Mar 2011 15:37:06 8,076 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    hard to work fast when you are stonned I guess :)

I usually eat in some Panekoke house, usually that gets served quick.

I love countries that have thwir own traditional Pancakes, last time I wnt, I ate about 9 Panekoke in 3 days. Panekoke with Spek and Kes I think.
  • Big-Swiss 16 Mar 2011 15:39:22 8,076 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    yeah, just mentioned last weekend that I'm going to Amsterdam, and now I have a huge list of people who need seeds. FGS
  • AcidSnake 16 Mar 2011 15:42:36 7,233 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Big Swiss:
    You mean the Van Gogh museum?...
    Rembrandt doesn't have his own museum (IIRC) and many of his works are in the Rijksmuseum...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Razz 16 Mar 2011 15:45:37 60,993 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The view from Westerkerk is amazing on a sunny day. Man, I went to Amsterdam 5 times last year. As soon as I get back from Africa I'm going to book another short break there.

When do you leave Suisse?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• DocX 16 Mar 2011 15:48:39 1,963 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've just booked an apartment for my 40th birthday in July. Can't wait :)
  • Big-Swiss 16 Mar 2011 15:58:32 8,076 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    @Big Swiss:
    You mean the Van Gogh museum?...
    Rembrandt doesn't have his own museum (IIRC) and many of his works are in the Rijksmuseum...

I know that most of his works are in the Riksmuseum, I regretted not seing them, will do this time.
    But there is a Rembrandmuseum, I was there I swear!

*I googled*, it s called "Rembrandt house", but in many tourist guides it will be called the Rembrandtmuseum, it has lots of paintings and a tape recorder guide while you are walking around.

Van Gogh Museum I will see too. I know my gf wants to see it all, its her first time!

I'm going on the 16th of April, early morning flight and coming back on the 19th of April, late evening flight.

• Razz 16 Mar 2011 15:59:42 60,993 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Argh! I'll see you in Amsterdam lol! The 16th is my birthday and I plan to be there for it :)

• Load_2.0 16 Mar 2011 16:01:53 19,099 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I fly on Friday the 25th of March but I won't be doing any sightseeing except probably the inside of my friends lounge. Fly out Sunday, they better cook me up a storm!
  • Big-Swiss 16 Mar 2011 16:02:22 8,076 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cool! Saturday birthdays are the best, I got one this year too, and its my 30. on top.
    how long are ye staying?
  • Razz 16 Mar 2011 16:05:19 60,993 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just 2 nights! I haven't nooked anything yet so it might change, but not by much, i.e. I might leave on the 15th and come back on the Sunday. It's my 31st. Let me know i you want to meet up :)

• Load_2.0 16 Mar 2011 16:06:54 19,099 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Big Swiss wrote:
    how long are ye staying?

Till the trade winds pick up ya scurvy buccaneer!
  • AcidSnake 16 Mar 2011 16:09:06 7,233 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Van Gogh is only worth it if you like his paintings though, otherwise it's seriously boring...Not like the Rijks which has a bit of everything...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Big-Swiss 16 Mar 2011 16:12:47 8,076 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    if you really will be there, hell yeah, I'm up for a drink!
    but you don't really post your email adress onto threads, do you?

I'll Pm you when the trip gets closer!
  • Big-Swiss 31 Mar 2011 10:04:56 8,076 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hey Razz?!?!?!?!?
  • Red-Moose 20 Apr 2011 22:28:52 5,346 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I am moving to Amsterdam in two weeks

TWO FRACKING WEEKS
  • Flightrisker 25 Apr 2011 14:43:49 18,096 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hey!

Where you staying? Moving over with friends/significant others? I'll wait at the airport with a sign saying "Red Moose".
  • Tom_Servo 25 Apr 2011 14:48:31 17,390 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Get ready for some kerrrrrrrazy conspiracy theories if you do!
  • Red-Moose 9 Jun 2011 22:35:22 5,346 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Some thoughts on Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Netherlands.

I have been here for a while now (~6 weeks), and I have come to the conclusion that rather than being a pile of potheaded hippies, Amsterdam is basically an awesome steampunk-style city that reminds me of The Chaos Engine. There is constant motion, but very different to the big cities like London or New York. Bikes, scooters, mopeds, roller blades, motorcyles, 3 wheelers, quads, cars, trams, trains running around the clock between the Randstad cities, ferries, planes. It is like a constant circle of motion in the city. There is classic 17th and 18th century architecture, which makes it seem like Booty Bay from Warcraft, but at the same time ultra hi tech buildings and apartments. But, no typical european empire/plaza/parade areas. The focus on people is entirely different to other capitals which focussed on armies and palaces. I've visited Holland many times, but basically only around Nieuwemarkt, and outside holland in Maastricht.

It's also shocked me how modern the Netherlands is with infrastructure for daily life. Free international bank transfers, online, a chip and pin device for use for purchases online at home, without the need to spend 20 a go and have a discussion by phone. Then, 120Mbit fibre optic broadband for 55/month. I am sure there are ATMs that can count and lodge money in London, but I had never seen these before and it's the normal way of lodging cash here. But, the online banking is generally fucking light-years ahead of the UK, IMHO.

So, I arrive in Rotterdam for work after my intensive Dutch courses. Rotterdam feels like it's from the 22nd century. It is not like any other european city, and I think it is because there is such an abundance of architect firms here. The plans for the "vertical city" De Rotterdam have already turned into reality and they are at ground level or 1st floor construction already since I first came over in April. The whole area of Kop van Zuid is quite amazing; again, these skyscrapers are not primarily for businesses or massive corporations, but instead for modern housing. I can see much more clearly how the dutch influenced the US-style of building and streets and civic structures, probably more IMO than any other european influence. Compare modern German, UK or French cities - the Netherlands seems to be basically decades ahead, from the bike racks under the buildings, bike lanes everywhere, totally integrated public transport ticketing, it's basically quite phenomenal. There seems to be a futuristic metropolis being built here, quietly, which I never even considered. The whole city seemingly is endless development.

In fact this whole Randstad thing is also fascinating. It's the fifth largest "urban" area in europe, with around 7 million people. But, translated to english, it just sounds fucking cool: Rim City - it's filthy and futuristic in one word. But, crucially, there are excellent connections everywhere, between all the areas, and populations are much more balanced. There none of the chaotic disorganisation of London, even though population and density is only ~ 10% smaller.

Those are my thoughts.
    @Flightrisker: soz, didn't see your post.
  • spindle9988 9 Jun 2011 22:55:57 3,516 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What are the smoking laws in dam now? I haven't been for a few years

• PearOfAnguish 10 Jun 2011 00:04:32 7,183 posts
    Seen 8 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No tobacco indoors but you can spark up a joint in coffeeshops so long as it doesn't contain tobacco.
  • BinaryBob101 10 Jun 2011 00:25:08 22,629 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'd imagine that may be pretty difficult to police.

Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:
    Many films are based on phone charge running out and being trapped somewhere...

• Kill_Crazy 10 Jun 2011 01:02:51 2,306 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ask the owner nicely and they might let you use baccy if you're discreet and put it away when done. Better to pre roll with baccy at home or hotel then no one will be any wiser :)
  • johnlenham 7 Jul 2011 11:29:57 4,000 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well seems me and four others are headed to Amsterdam in september for a 25th birthday.
    Any pointers for places worth eating at, Clubs worth going to, intresting hidden away shops/coffee shops and so on? Special baked goods for being something I wish to sample while there! :p
  • whatfruit 7 Jul 2011 16:54:13 1,407 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Try the truffles. The best in the city.
  • johnlenham 7 Jul 2011 19:29:03 4,000 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ha its infact my gf, and 3 female mates!

One (the 25th birthday) wants a lap dance just to say shes had one, ones a lesbian and the other fairly normal. So an interesting bunch atleast.
  • Red-Moose 7 Jul 2011 19:33:27 5,346 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Take them to the banana bar.....
  • Red-Moose 7 Jul 2011 19:35:11 5,346 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sorry, bananenbar

They are quite welcoming of groups of women as well.
  • Red-Moose 7 Jul 2011 19:35:46 5,346 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've heard
  • johnlenham 7 Jul 2011 19:48:49 4,000 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Red Moose wrote:
    I've heard

Ahaha!
    Interesting stuff comes up on google, theres even a travel guide!
    http://www.amsterdamlogue.com/live-sex-shows.html
  • Page

of 5 First / Last