Official STALKER / S.T.A.L.K.E.R. thread Page 76

• Page

of 77 First / Last

• orpheus 6 Jan 2013 03:07:41 1,011 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Bought this in the steam sale... It's good but bloody hell, it's hard. I'm a few missions in and am constantly getting my arse handed to me. Any vets care to share some tips?
    Everything Rusty said, also:

Never carry too much stuff - you'll be able to run far less distance and sometimes you need to haul ass to escape.

Be as quiet as possible. Watch the sound & vision meters in the top left; if you hear something unpleasant, stay down and sneak as if your life depends on it (it does).

Loot all corpses for stuff to sell. Sell all but the best artifacts early on for starter cash so you can keep your equipment in good nick. Do not sell radiation reducing artifacts unless you have better radiation-reducing ones stored.

Talk to everyone. On the normal difficulty, you're led fairly easily towards Skadovsk, which has plenty of side-quests. Stitching up the criminal guy is an easy way to get some starter equip with minimal effort, likewise most of the other quests there early on are geared towards giving you a companion to help for the duration of the quest and other aids. Don't tackle the big stuff (e.g the downed helis) until you're kitted out, and don't travel too far if you can avoid it. If you must, stock up on antirads and health boosting stuff before leaving.

At the very start, or the first time you approach it, there are two Stalkers by the boiler anomaly. One gets burned, the other asks you to help him with a medkit. Do this for an instant upgrade to the artifact detector - a directional one that helps tons.

Artifacts only become visible when you are very close. Use the bolts (9 key iirc) to plot a path through the anomaly.

Are you playing modded?

Edited by orpheus at 04:19:12 06-01-2013
  • OneLove. 6 Jan 2013 11:40:47 10 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    whats the stealth like in this?

Only just gotten a decent PC so i missed all the Stalker games. The amosphere and the exploring aspect appeals to me, the creatures and bullet sponges do not.

Is it possible to keep your head down and creep around enemies, or is it a case of them knowing instantly where you are like in other games?
  • orpheus 6 Jan 2013 16:21:47 1,011 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    OneLove. wrote:
    whats the stealth like in this?

Only just gotten a decent PC so i missed all the Stalker games. The amosphere and the exploring aspect appeals to me, the creatures and bullet sponges do not.

Is it possible to keep your head down and creep around enemies, or is it a case of them knowing instantly where you are like in other games?

It's ok... certainly not on par with modern stealth games, mostly due to it's age. But sight & sound both play a big part, perhaps more with the creatures rather than the human enemies - it's certainly possible to sneak your way past stuff in the more open areas, or when its dark.

There aren't that many bullet-sponges either, at least not with the COP Complete mod (which everyone should be using). Headshots are a one-two shot kill on all humans bar the ones in exo-suits, smaller creatures like dogs go down with only a few rounds. The bigger beasties take a good few hits, but ammo is rarely an issue. The Complete mod rebalances all the weapons and enemies anyway (as well as fixing all the myriad bugs, which is why it's so essential), and the game is cheap as chips now. If it's still on sale, I'd say it's worth a punt.
  • Progguitarist 6 Jan 2013 17:14:38 10,533 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I haven't modded my version. Where's this mod at?
  • monkehhh 6 Jan 2013 17:18:53 3,507 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009/downloads
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-pripyat-complete/downloads
  • Progguitarist 6 Jan 2013 17:31:15 10,533 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers! Downloading now.
  • richardiox 6 Jan 2013 17:35:12 5,734 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah that mod is about as essential as a mod can be. Improves the game on every level. Going back to the vanilla version is a real eye opener just for how much Complete overhauls the graphics.
    The base game should actually come with an icon on the menu to install it.
  • richardiox 6 Jan 2013 17:35:20 5,734 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Double post

Edited by richardiox at 17:35:57 06-01-2013
  • Progguitarist 6 Jan 2013 17:40:23 10,533 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nice, looking forward to getting stuck into it now.
  • Progguitarist 6 Jan 2013 17:49:58 10,533 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wow, that was painless and it looks WAY better!
  • Progguitarist 6 Jan 2013 22:25:01 10,533 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jesus christ, this is brilliant when you get the hang of it. The firefights are fantastic.
  • OneLove. 6 Jan 2013 22:33:24 10 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You playing SOC Progguitarist?

Thanks orpheus, I'm not very good at FPS' so just want a game where I can plod around and get immersed rather than have to be an expert marksman just to survive 10 minutes.
  • Tomo 6 Jan 2013 23:26:59 13,980 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've never played a STALKER game with the Complete mods. One day, one day...
  • Rusty_M 6 Jan 2013 23:40:57 4,920 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DO IT! DO IT!

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.
    http://www.twitch.tv/rusty_the_robot
    http://twitter.com/Rusty_The_Robot

• Progguitarist 6 Jan 2013 23:47:48 10,533 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @OneLove. Yes, it doesn't require fast reflexes (so far anyway). You have to be careful how you approach situations and whatnot. It is extremely immersive though.
  • orpheus 7 Jan 2013 00:04:16 1,011 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No worries OneLove - if you've not played one before, I'd start with Call of Pripyat - it's by far the best one, though there is a Complete mod for all three games if you're inclined towards a different one.

Should've said Prog - I was working on the assumption that you were playing CoP as well, not SoC or the second game, so if you're not, disregard the latter half of my advice! Artifacts etc work differently in the first two games, and of course the anomalies are different too.

Having played all three (with Complete) and finishing SoC and CoP, CoP is the only one I get the urge to go back to, usually with a more punishing difficulty level. Clear Sky is essentially the first game with slightly different mechanics, and didn't grab me anywhere near as much as the first one, while Pripyat has the best atmosphere and overall game of the bunch. In fact, after posting the advice for Prog last night, I re-downloaded and re-modded CoP and started it all over again, on the highest-but-one difficulty!
  • stryker1121 7 Jan 2013 04:13:31 765 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Got the game off Steam and downloaded the complete mod. Looks great and while the game feels a bit impenetrable at first, it's got a good oppressive atmosphere where the world feels "dangerous." I foolishly went questing about at night with not much else besides a flashlight and pistol, and did not fare well. You have to plan your route a bit and use the binocs to scout ahead. I'm looking forward to getting some better guns as well as a pair of night vision goggles!
  • orpheus 7 Jan 2013 16:01:25 1,011 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Which one Stryker?

For those of you playing Call of Pripyat (which hopefully is most of you), you need to hunt down tools to give to the guys who upgrade your weapons to get the best upgrades. Since they are a bitch to find, even if you know the game, here's a handy list of the whole lot:

http://stalker.wikia.com/wiki/Tools
  • OneLove. 7 Jan 2013 18:34:34 10 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Went ahead and bought it, so look forward to get stuck in at the weekend.

Regarding difficulty, I keep hearing how Hard is preferential even if you're new, since the bullet/hit damage is heightened on both sides.
  • stryker1121 7 Jan 2013 19:24:34 765 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @orpheus I picked up CoP and SoC on the Steam sale. playing SoC now w/ mod installed. Are there any other mods you'd suggest for SoC or CoP for that matter?

Edited by stryker1121 at 19:25:42 07-01-2013
  • magicpanda 7 Jan 2013 19:33:57 13,478 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You don't need any other mods other than the complete ones.

Turns the lights out, stick some decent headphones on and get into some of the best FPS games ever made.
  • Progguitarist 7 Jan 2013 20:19:58 10,533 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Definitely. I'm not very far in and I love it. It's dripping with atmosphere and it makes you think about movements. The AI is pretty damn good too.

Modern shooters are so shit in comparison.
  • stryker1121 7 Jan 2013 20:41:09 765 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Progguitarist I don't think all modern shooters are shit, but they have an annoying tendency to hold your hand. Just started Far Cry 3 and there's a pop-up every two seconds telling me something I can figure out for myself (wrong thread but is there any way to turn those off?)
  • monkehhh 7 Jan 2013 20:45:24 3,507 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @stryker1121 Latest FC3 patch adds those options, on PC only maybe?
  • Progguitarist 7 Jan 2013 20:46:49 10,533 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @stryker1121 You are right. I shouldn't dismiss them all.
  • orpheus 7 Jan 2013 20:52:53 1,011 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @stryker1121 Nope, like Panda said, Complete mods are all you need. Let us know how you get on! :)
  • PenguinJim 26 Apr 2013 06:23:52 6,010 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This hurt my head. SURELY some of those pictures are in-game screenshots? And the number of places there that I've visited, that I know my way around...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-22246328

Such a fantastic game in terms of graphics, immersion... anyone with a half-decent PC (and we're talking a Geforce 8800 or better) would be crazy not to have played through this.
  • Dairyfree 28 Apr 2014 21:20:31 1,631 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Lost Alpha has been released for free. Having never played the Stalker games is this worth it?

And would I still need certain mods for it?
  • HarryB 28 Apr 2014 21:34:47 6,337 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm the same
    I'm a big wuss though, I heard these games are scary!
  • Br0ken_Engli5h 29 Apr 2014 09:45:56 1,222 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I properly sank my teeth into and finished CoP first, so when I returned to SoC it felt like a bit of a step back. I'll have to try this mod out and see if I can get the first game finished now.

HarryB wrote:
    I'm a big wuss though, I heard these games are scary!
    I wouldn't describe them as out-and-out scary, although they're definitely very tense at times. They do have this very desolate, melancholy atmosphere that very quickly gets inside your head, though.

I've just completed Mass Effect 3 and was considering moving on to Sleeping Dogs, but just talking about the games has given me an urge to play one of them.
  • Page

of 77 First / Last