• Page

of 153 First / Last

• smoothpete 6 Feb 2013 15:42:20 31,342 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blaketown wrote:
    While I'm here this is pretty good too:
    http://www.djbooth.net/index/albums/review/kids-these-days-traphouse-rock

Live band mixing Jazz, Rap & Soul to pretty chaotic effect.

Sample:
    I am really enjoying this album. I think I've listened to it back to back about 5 times now
  • Kay 6 Feb 2013 16:11:12 17,762 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That Zion I x J.Period mixtape from a few pages back is awesome, cheers for the link.

Deep Water Slang aside, have never really listened to any of Zion I's stuff, will have to catch up. Although from a quick listen their latest album doesn't seem all that good.
  • smoothpete 6 Feb 2013 16:38:05 31,342 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Most of that Zion I mix tape is not them. Try Kendrick Lamar instead (the Cartoon & Cereal tune)
  • Kay 6 Feb 2013 17:40:33 17,762 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @smoothpete Yeah, I know that. I suppose the one that sounds exactly like Nas isn't part of Zion I either? :p

The album I was talking about was Shadow Boxing, which I wasn't too impressed by, but may need to give a proper listen.

Speaking of Kendrick Lamar - was going to ask, what do people think? He's been hyped a lot recently, I always just assumed he was another one of those radio-friendly rappers, but the two songs on the mixtape are very good. His latest album has been really highly-rated, will definitely have a listen.

Edited by Kay at 17:41:14 06-02-2013
  • smoothpete 6 Feb 2013 18:07:54 31,342 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    :)

Personally I like a lot of Kendrick's stuff. It's interesting. It is weird but danceable.
  • Blaketown 6 Feb 2013 18:46:15 4,636 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    That Zion I x J.Period mixtape from a few pages back is awesome, cheers for the link.

Deep Water Slang aside, have never really listened to any of Zion I's stuff, will have to catch up. Although from a quick listen their latest album doesn't seem all that good.
    The Take Over is their best in my opinion. If you don't like that they're probably not for you.

I agree the latest isn't up to much apart from that one tune.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Blaketown 6 Feb 2013 18:49:19 4,636 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And Kendrick is awesome. Or his last 2 albums have been.

It's the first time somebody getting that kind of hype has been worthy of it in a long time in my opinion. Genuinely interesting music with an unique point of view and, importantly, skills to go with it.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Kovacs77 6 Feb 2013 20:00:45 364 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    I'm bored so a list to debate.

1. Jay z
    2. Scarface
    3. Notorious big
    4. NAS
    5. Clipse ( I could them as one )
    6. Black thought
    7. Jadakiss
    8. Krs one
    9. Rakim
    10. Ghostface
    11. Eminem
    12. Mos def
    13. Redman
    14. Big daddy Kane
    15. 2pac
    16. Big l
    17. Styles p
    18. Big pun
    19. Guru
    20. Talib kweli
    21. Common
    22. Raekwon
    23. Ll cool j
    24. Dmx (would be far higher if he stayed retired years ago)
    25. Kanye west

Now I'm sure I've missed some of my favourites as that off the top of my head.

Edit.. J Cole should be in there for sure, forgot him.
    It's like the last 15 years never happened.
  • smoothpete 7 Feb 2013 13:22:48 31,342 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blaketown wrote:
    Ha! I posted this a few weeks ago that uses the exact same beat:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydTkSy2Jq90
    Anyone know where the sample is from?
  • Blaketown 7 Feb 2013 14:13:11 4,636 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The mighty Ann Peebles innit:

Brap, brap, old chap.

• smoothpete 7 Feb 2013 15:18:22 31,342 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks! Looks like I need to buy some Ann Peebles CDs!

edit - man I love the internet. CD will be arriving tomorrow.

Edited by smoothpete at 15:21:41 07-02-2013
  • Rhaegyr 7 Feb 2013 16:12:38 1,430 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Kay

Kendrick's album is an absolute cracker - up there with Killer Mike and El-P for the best hip-hop LP's last year. Only 'Real' near the back end of the album is a bit of a dud.

Try 'Compton', 'The Art of Peer Pressure' and 'good kid/mad city' to give you a little taste if you're interested - a good mix of the styles he employs on the album are found in these tracks.

Personally, I think it's the best hip-hop album since Danny Brown's phenomenal 'XXX'.
  • jagg3r 7 Feb 2013 22:17:54 1,029 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just discovered Kendrick Lamar, reminded me why i used to love hip hop
  • Syrette 7 Feb 2013 22:31:07 43,104 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One of the rare occasions when an artist is actually worthy of the hype.

• smoothpete 8 Feb 2013 12:40:46 31,342 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel and I went to see Pharcyde yesterday, they were fucking excellent. Really great show.
  • smoothpete 8 Feb 2013 16:42:21 31,342 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The first couple of lines.. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r57wu0tAmRM
  • Kovacs77 8 Feb 2013 21:15:06 364 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    A$AP Rocky's album is pretty decent, this is the most 'mainstream' hiphop I've liked for a long time. Kendrick's verse is brilliant. Drake is still a twat though.

Best track on the album.

Edited by Kovacs77 at 21:16:55 08-02-2013
  • Deleted user 8 February 2013 21:44:54
    Why drake get so much hate?
  • Kovacs77 9 Feb 2013 08:37:54 364 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Why drake get so much hate?
    This will explain it better than I can
  • Deleted user 9 February 2013 09:01:46
    What the hell did I just read, I hope it was in jest.

Ayo whattup yall...the Hands of Zeus aka Thor Molecules aka Phantom Raviolis aka Cocaine Biceps... otherwise known as The Blog King n the Inventor of the Slap...is now officially back in the building namsayin. As summa yalls already kno...the god aint really no big fan of the nigga whose album Im bout to discuss nahmean. But Imma give this shit a unbiased real ass nigga persective yo. Imma ga'head n introduce the nigga now namsayin. Ayo...kinda like ya boy Big Ghost...son goes by many names b...Drizzy or Aubrey or jus Aubs...n the Artist Formerly Known as Wheelchair Jimmy nahmean. But yalls might know him as The Kitten Whisperer aka The Harvester of Pauses aka The Taio Cruz of Hip Hop aka Young Garnier Fructis the pre-cum baby aka Jennifer Aniston's favorite emcee....n the muthafucka most likely to have a gateway to Narnia in his closet aka The Michael Buble of Rap or that nigga witta beatin vagina for a heart that you be hearin on the radio sandwiched between Katy Perry n Lady Gaga joints all day aka Justin Biebers beard n the only nigga on earth capable of turnin sandpaper into moist towelettes wit the touch of his hands...the vagina nectar-garglin nigga who makes lambs look dangerous hisself.....otherwise known as the Human Electric Slide... OctobVariesOwn....Drake. Now I promise yall...I aint got no expectations or plans to hate on this nigga unless the shit jus so happens to be wack nahmean...Word is bond. Truth is...I aint really got nothin against son like that yo. Aight lets go...
  • Deleted user 9 February 2013 09:02:58
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 9 February 2013 09:04:25
    Basically he dislikes him because he not street and has an ego. The ego is also hand in hand with rappers.

Some of the photo with lyrics made me laugh.
  • Kovacs77 9 Feb 2013 09:22:12 364 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well, that and he's a shit rapper.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2013 09:25:31
    He can rap. Maybe you and the reviewer hate what he raps about and don't like him but he can rap. His mixtapes and first album contain plenty of tight verses.

Not saying I love him, he not in my top 25, but to say he can't rap is just hating.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2013 09:27:45
    Kovacs77 wrote:
    Pepsipop wrote:
    I'm bored so a list to debate.

1. Jay z
    2. Scarface
    3. Notorious big
    4. NAS
    5. Clipse ( I could them as one )
    6. Black thought
    7. Jadakiss
    8. Krs one
    9. Rakim
    10. Ghostface
    11. Eminem
    12. Mos def
    13. Redman
    14. Big daddy Kane
    15. 2pac
    16. Big l
    17. Styles p
    18. Big pun
    19. Guru
    20. Talib kweli
    21. Common
    22. Raekwon
    23. Ll cool j
    24. Dmx (would be far higher if he stayed retired years ago)
    25. Kanye west

Now I'm sure I've missed some of my favourites as that off the top of my head.

Edit.. J Cole should be in there for sure, forgot him.
    It's like the last 15 years never happened.
    Damn, you right. Only the clipse and kanye west in that list are relatively new. Everyone else been around for ages. Depressing.
  • Kovacs77 9 Feb 2013 09:38:36 364 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is it that you've listened to recent stuff and found it lacking, or you've not listened to much modern stuff in the 1st place? This threads a fine starting point for a modernisation!

And re: Drake, yes, technically he CAN rap, his delivery is very samey though, I've not heard much of his own stuff admittedly (lifes too short, i dont like hiphop aimed at girls / slow jamz in general so im unlikely to think a Drake album is worth a tenner of my money etc etc) but every time Ive heard him as a guest or as part of a crew his is always the weakest flow.

Edited by Kovacs77 at 09:50:13 09-02-2013

Edited by Kovacs77 at 09:50:42 09-02-2013
  • Deleted user 9 February 2013 09:58:58
    I don't listen to rap as much as all the music channels now only play shit rap. The stuff I hear is severely lacking, intact it is mostly terrible.
    To be fair I don't go hunting no more so only come across what on music channels or digital radio.
    The other day in gym there was a hip hop show on 1xtra, it was shocking.

Right now I'm listening to scarface - emeritus. Now if it came out now I probably wouldn't know it was out because all media seem transfixed on shit rap.

So the short answer is I hate most modern rap but at the same time I am sure there are many albums that I don't know about because they are hidden.

Only album in past twelve months that I think is amazing is NAS - life is good. Sure I enjoyed others like fear of god 2, cruel summer but there is still something missing.

Edit..styles p master of the ceremony was pretty tight too.

Edited by Pepsipop at 10:01:11 09-02-2013
  • Syrette 9 Feb 2013 10:04:01 43,104 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Pepsipop

What is being suggested is that you use this very thread to source decent modern hip-hop. Plenty of recommendations over the last few pages.

• Deleted user 9 February 2013 10:09:27
    @Syrette I know. I do mean to check them all.
    I have clicked on three, two were terrible and one was pretty good but nothing to get me excited. I will sit down though and try all.
  • Syrette 9 Feb 2013 10:11:32 43,104 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Pepsipop

Start with People Under the Stairs, and end with People Under the Stairs.

• Page

of 153 First / Last