The Football League Thread Page 151

• Page

of 176 First / Last

• lucky_jim 26 Jul 2012 06:20:18 5,161 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Remember that time we had a player and Norwich didn't sign him? No, me neither.
    That's not fair, Norwich's transfer policy has clearly changed massively since Lambert left. It used to be "let's see who's good from Brighton's midfield and unsettle them til keeping them makes no sense", now it's an entirely different and radically new policy of "let's see who's good from Leeds' midfield and unsettle them until keeping them makes no sense".

Revolutionary stuff!
  • Zomoniac 27 Jul 2012 09:07:11 7,402 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    bantamenace wrote:
    Up The Bantams!
    This is the worst thing I have ever seen.

• OldCrow 27 Jul 2012 09:27:44 148 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    bantamenace wrote:
    Up The Bantams!
    This is the worst thing I have ever seen.

Our home kit is nicer :p

• lucky_jim 3 Aug 2012 10:49:48 5,161 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Absolutely delighted we've got Andrew Crofts back from Norwich. All we're missing now is the striker that Gus apparently wants to add to the squad, but I've got a feeling CMS will come good this year. This is the team I'd put out.

GK: Tomas Kuszczak
    LB: Wayne Bridge
    CB: Gordon Greer
    CB: Lewis Dunk/ Adam El-Abd (poss Tommy Elphick depending on his recovery)
    RB: Bruno Saltor
    MF: Andrew Crofts
    MF: Liam Bridcutt
    AMF: Vicente
    LW and RW: Two from Kazenga Lua Lua, Craig Noone and Will Buckley
    CF: CMS.

That's a team which has to be in with a shout of doing something impressive, surely? I can scarcely believe that's a Brighton team tbh!

Edited by lucky_jim at 10:50:06 03-08-2012
  • Bmovie 3 Aug 2012 14:58:31 893 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Weekness at CB perhaps?

Here's how we look like lining up

GK: Alex Smithies
    LC: Paul Dixon
    CB: Joel Lynch
    CB: Peter Clarke (Pretty sure we'll get another CB in)
    RB: Jack Hunt
    DM: Keith Southern
    CM: Oli Norwood
    CM: Adam Clayton
    LW: Danny Ward
    RW: Sean Scannell
    ST: Jordan Rhodes

CB, ST and maybe another wide player on loan and I'm confident of a half decent season.
  • Zomoniac 3 Aug 2012 15:07:41 7,402 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    GK: Paddy Kenny
    LB: Adam Drury
    CB: Tom Lees
    CB: Jason Pearce
    RB: Lee Peltier (probably)
    LM: Aidy White
    CM: Rodolph Austin
    CM: Paul Green
    RM: Luke Varney
    ST: Luciano Becchio
    ST: Andy Gray/Ross McCormack/Person we haven't signed yet (no 9 in the newly released squad number list)

Solid but not going to set the world alight. Can't see us going up without a couple of key signings, a 25 goal striker and a creative CM. Will ship fewer goals than in recent seasons though.
  • DJCopa 3 Aug 2012 15:19:27 1,055 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @nickthegun Looks to have worked out quite well - 2 signings, dependent on work permits. My fear of over-meddling has gone (for now) and team looks to be shaping up nicely.

Right, where's that tree stump..........ooh yeah.
  • lucky_jim 3 Aug 2012 17:36:56 5,161 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:

ST: Andy Gray/Ross McCormack/Person we haven't signed yet (no 9 in the newly released squad number list).
    I've heard plenty of stories about that number 9 being Craig Mackail-Smith, but I'm really hoping they're not true. He didn't score as many as we hoped last season, but I think our new improved team will provide him with much better chances this time out. I can't see us letting him go for anything less than we paid for him though, which will hopefully put other teams off.
  • lucky_jim 3 Aug 2012 17:55:39 5,161 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Bmovie
    Yeah I can see why you'd pick out our CB position, as Elphick, El-Abd and Dunk are all players we've reared and probably aren't too well known to people who don't follow Brighton. We seem to have developed a bit of a knack for developing good players in that position though, I wish I could tell you how, why or who is responsible but I have no idea. I know El-Abd has grown into a strong player who can carry the ball out of defence (and is quite good at getting opponents booked/ sent off: yeah, he's a shitbag, but he's OUR shitbag). Totally different player from a few years ago when he was cruelly known as Adam El-Bad.

Dunk kept him out of the side and didn't look out of place at all in his 36 appearances last year, even at 18/19 years old. Elphick was constantly being linked to bigger clubs before his injury, but we'll have to wait to see if he's the same player. And Grant Hall would have been on that list too, if he wasn't so good that Spurs nabbed him this summer.

When you consider your very own Joel Lynch too, we do seem to be surprisingly good at turning out CBs!
  • lucky_jim 4 Aug 2012 16:19:23 5,161 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blimey, 3 posts in a row, I'm in danger of taking over this thread!

Anyway, I know pre-season friendlies are meaningless, but I'm impressed we're holding our own against Chelsea. We're 2-1 up with an hour gone, and Vicente just forced a really good save from Cech.

There's a stream here if anyone fancies catching the end of the game. I expect Chelsea will get another goal or two before it finishes (but we're not making it easy).

Edit: 3-1, get in Crofty! Also Vicente has been the best player on the pitch, which is encouraging.

Another edit: Finished 3-1, and we thoroughly deserved it. Really good performance, although Dunk looked a bit starstruck.

Edited by lucky_jim at 17:06:22 04-08-2012
  • Zomoniac 6 Aug 2012 09:12:09 7,402 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    Zomoniac wrote:

ST: Andy Gray/Ross McCormack/Person we haven't signed yet (no 9 in the newly released squad number list).
    I've heard plenty of stories about that number 9 being Craig Mackail-Smith, but I'm really hoping they're not true. He didn't score as many as we hoped last season, but I think our new improved team will provide him with much better chances this time out. I can't see us letting him go for anything less than we paid for him though, which will hopefully put other teams off.
    Strong favourite, currently based on nothing but fan lust and highly unlikely due to the expense, is Beckford. Can't see that happening. Nor CMS to be honest, for much the same reason. Warnock has said he thinks to be genuinely good we still need a quality RW and ST, but can't afford both. Based on our dealings thus far, given a decent (albeit less profile) ST and RW could both be had for the fee/wages of either Beckford or CMS I can't see it being anyone of that calibre.
  • Bmovie 6 Aug 2012 11:09:58 893 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @lucky_jim
    I like Greer but I don't know much about Elphick and Dunk, I think they've come through since you went up? I was mainly referencing El-Abd - I remember him being absolutely shit in League 1 everytime you played us, especially in 08/09 when you nearly went down and 09/10 when we beat you 7-1. He must have improved to have been part of a title winning team and then to hold his own in the Championship.
  • lucky_jim 6 Aug 2012 13:04:39 5,161 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Bmovie
    Yeah we used to call him Adam El-Bad back then, he's a different player nowadays and he's kicked on really well. He's now one of the small number of current internationals at the club, for Egypt (completely understand any sniggering at this point, but they're one of the two or three strongest African nations and have been for some time).

Edit: Thread from our forum last season, you'll see we quite like him now!

Edited by lucky_jim at 13:08:49 06-08-2012
  • OldCrow 6 Aug 2012 13:30:23 148 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Bmovie Think Huddersfield can keep Rhodes?
    Also any word on what Jimmy Spencer will be up to this season?
  • Bmovie 6 Aug 2012 14:42:10 893 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @OldCrow
    Yeah he'll stay, I think if Rhodes was off it would have happened by now. We don't need to sell and have basically said 8m or fuck off. I see that back stabbing pillock Steve Kean has been publically calling him out via his ESPN column, stating they've bid over the weekend as if they are some sort of Madrid-like draw. Certainly can't see that happening.

Spencer will probably end up in League 1 on loan. Can't see him featuring for us anyway, he's not good enough from what I've seen.
  • captbirdseye 6 Aug 2012 18:57:37 4,354 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Craig Bellamy is finally gonna sign towards the end of this week and should have his settlement sorted with Liverpool by Wednesday. :D

I always knew he'd be back after seeing this picture after the Carling Cup Final.

Bellamy

Edited by captbirdseye at 18:58:40 06-08-2012
  • Bmovie 7 Aug 2012 13:46:08 893 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @captbirdseye

Sounds like we are buying Gerrard from you. He seems decent enough?
  • OldCrow 8 Aug 2012 15:41:19 148 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Bmovie I can see him being a decent League 1 player, needs to fix his attitude first or clubs won't want him.
  • Bmovie 8 Aug 2012 15:52:20 893 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OldCrow wrote:
    @Bmovie I can see him being a decent League 1 player, needs to fix his attitude first or clubs won't want him.
    Well hopefully we won't be going back there for a very long time!
  • OldCrow 8 Aug 2012 16:43:09 148 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I wasn't suggesting you were, I was glad to see Hudderfield go up. :p Losing out in the play-offs once is hard enough, I can't imagine what it was like for a Huddersfield fan all those seasons.
  • captbirdseye 8 Aug 2012 17:22:14 4,354 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bmovie wrote:
    @captbirdseye

Sounds like we are buying Gerrard from you. He seems decent enough?
    He's alright, but he thinks he's better than he actually is. His distribution and positioning are probably the worst part of his game but he does make up for it in commitment.

He's also fallen out with two managers here and does like a night out.
  • Zomoniac 9 Aug 2012 12:31:30 7,402 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And the takeover has officially fallen through. 6 weeks of due diligence and the potential buyers still couldn't work out what they were buying through the mess of offshore companies. And, despite being a million in the black for this summer's dealings, NW has still been told he has to sell before he can buy, so two more join the transfer list. It just gets better.
  • megastar 9 Aug 2012 13:10:04 17,104 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bit depressing really!
  • figgis 9 Aug 2012 13:16:01 7,382 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fuck Captain birdseye.
  • Bmovie 9 Aug 2012 13:23:32 893 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Captain Birdseyes quick and easy guide to getting yourself a hassle free summer. Hilarious.
  • mcmonkeyplc 9 Aug 2012 13:24:48 38,900 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UP THE ALBION!

Bitches.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• megastar 9 Aug 2012 17:28:47 17,104 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmm i wonderif all this is just last minute posturing/game of chicken between buyers and the club?

Supposedly the buyers have said they are out as it stands but should the "original agreed offer" be accepted then they would be up for it.

Whereas the official site has said the period of exclusivity with these buyers is over and while they are still open to talk to them they will be open to other offers.
  • Brownshoe 9 Aug 2012 19:17:17 77 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Apologies if this is old but just had a look in the sports tab and did a search but was not able to find a thread on the championship.

It is getting to be an exciting league and a number of teams could go up and of course Leeds could go down so thought I would create a thread to discuss it.

Anyone else on here a fan of a championship team?
    Bury FC 1998-99 :redface:
  • captbirdseye 9 Aug 2012 19:32:01 4,354 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bmovie wrote:
    Captain Birdseyes quick and easy guide to getting yourself a hassle free summer. Hilarious.
    Worst Summer ever :D
  • Zomoniac 10 Aug 2012 09:45:09 7,402 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    megastar wrote:
    Hmm i wonderif all this is just last minute posturing/game of chicken between buyers and the club?

Supposedly the buyers have said they are out as it stands but should the "original agreed offer" be accepted then they would be up for it.

Whereas the official site has said the period of exclusivity with these buyers is over and while they are still open to talk to them they will be open to other offers.
    Basically exactly the same thing has happened as when someone tried to buy in 2007. Bates has allowed the deal to get to the 99% complete stage, then suddenly added 10 million to the price, and has been told to go fuck himself. Despite spending his program notes every week bitching at people putting up wage demands ("at Leeds United you get one offer, take it or leave it").

I'm pretty sure the only thing that will get him out of the club is death. Can't be too much longer, surely?
  • Page

of 176 First / Last