The "I've got an iPhone" thread Page 193

• Page

of 235 First / Last

• THFourteen 21 Sep 2012 13:55:17 34,468 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Blimey, the headphones are actually good, I'm very surprised by this after years of apple supplying awful phones.
    Good or just better than the POS they used to give away?

Still not as good as a £30 pair of sennheisers right?
  • Deleted user 21 September 2012 13:57:56
    Yeah, actually good. Probably in the same ballpark as £30 phones, although I've not used 'em much yet.
  • wobbler147 21 Sep 2012 14:02:29 5,152 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone suffering from scuffgate? All over Twitter and other sites :D

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1445522&page=28
  • yegon 21 Sep 2012 14:05:08 5,414 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Zonks, then you'll have to wait another 412 years before you you can play with it! /o\
    Railway mate, none of this civvy bollocks :)

24hr clock and always late, the railway mantra.

Did you know there are never any trains, ever, scheduled to depart at 0000 in this country? Fascinating I'm sure.

Edited by yegon at 14:05:33 21-09-2012
  • yegon 21 Sep 2012 14:12:30 5,414 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Annoying re scuff, even if its perfect out of the box its blatantly a problem that'll occur over time, tsk. Couldn't stomach a white, always found them very meh, this time more than ever.

Still, unless they've improved the home button I'm sure go through three black ones over the next two years via Apple Care like last time!
  • nickthegun 21 Sep 2012 14:16:18 61,299 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    yegon wrote:

Did you know there are never any trains, ever, scheduled to depart at 0000 in this country? Fascinating I'm sure.
    Thats actually a brilliant pub fact. Why do they not depart at midnight then?

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• ElNuevo9 21 Sep 2012 14:25:36 13,596 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got mine on order from the online Apple store. But nipped into the Apple store whilst I was in town today.

Have to say I'm very underwhlemed to be perfectly honest. It just looks a bit odd. Build quality is as good as you'd expect and it does sit well in the hand, but it looks like a Photoshop job where someone has just stretched it. Camera seems better and they've cut down the shutter lag from the 4S - now comparable to ICS and Jelly Bean shutter speeds. The phone whips along at a fair speed and apps open really quickly. That said, still find it very hard to muster anything exciting to say about it really.

Think I'll cancel my order and stick with the S3 for now.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• yegon 21 Sep 2012 14:28:26 5,414 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    yegon wrote:

Thats actually a brilliant pub fact. Why do they not depart at midnight then?
    It's to avoid any confusion re: the date I seem to recall. Slightly unrelated but there was a franchise a while back, dunno if it still exists, called One Rail. Stupidity reigned when they named it as when they announce the pa typically say, eg "platform 2 is the 0920 Virgin service to x". They had to say "platform 2 is the 0920 One service to x". Doh! Train doors are normally shut 30 seconds prior to departure time anyway, so passengers understandably thought they had more time than they thought and missed trains by at least 90 seconds! Genius, but that's the franchise system for you, where German railway is indirectly subsidized by the British taxpayer due to heavily subsidized German owned franchises funneling profit back to the motherland. Gah, don't get me started!

Via phone, apologies for wall of text and double post earlier.

Edited by yegon at 14:34:31 21-09-2012
  • nickthegun 21 Sep 2012 14:29:41 61,299 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The railway system: offically more interesting than the iPhone 5

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• elstoof 21 Sep 2012 15:41:22 8,306 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One operated the service around the Essex and Suffolk area, I seem to remember getting their trains in Harwich. The name reminded me of a budget airline in South Africa called OneTime - a brilliant name, or perhaps a prediction of the number of flights you'll want to take with them.

This is as good as it gets folks.
  • Fake_Blood 21 Sep 2012 19:22:58 4,446 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thread derailed by trains.

So I just bought a 4S, I now have 500.000 apps to choose from.
    Is there some kind of essential apps list somewhere?
  • Deleted user 21 September 2012 19:28:11
    This should do you for games: http://toucharcade.com/2012/09/21/load-that-new-iphone-5-up-with-these-previous-game-of-the-year-titles/
  • meat_potatoe 21 Sep 2012 21:40:10 85 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Need to get a new car mount, anyone got any suggestions?
  • Deleted user 21 September 2012 23:03:56
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Thread derailed by trains.

So I just bought a 4S, I now have 500.000 apps to choose from.
    Is there some kind of essential apps list somewhere?
    There's an app for everything, obvious essentials are - youtube, shazam, plex, dropbox, flixter (for ultraviolet copies) netflix, google authenticator, steam, pan, xbox live, find my friends, find my iPhone and remote.
  • Deleted user 22 September 2012 22:06:13
    http://i.imgur.com/FdGXY.jpg
  • silentbob 22 Sep 2012 22:22:51 29,026 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    http://www.androidauthority.com/iphone-5-vs-samsung-galaxy-s3-drop-test-116898/

..something positive! (unless you own an S3).

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• THFourteen 22 Sep 2012 22:25:21 34,468 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @ElNino9 yeah a guy at work was showing his off in the pub on Friday night. It was nice and all, but its just a phone now like all the other phones. Didn't really get that "omg must have" feeling about it that I had with my 3G, 4, or iPads.

Phones are back to being just phones now, all pretty much the same.
  • Deleted user 22 September 2012 22:33:15
    silentbob wrote:
    http://www.androidauthority.com/iphone-5-vs-samsung-galaxy-s3-drop-test-116898/

..something positive! (unless you own an S3).
    Not much of a surprise considering how cheaply built all Samsung phones feel.
  • sanctusmortis 22 Sep 2012 23:46:08 9,797 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My own adventures with the new maps

Basically, it looks like it searches for data in the order given - so, as a standard address ends with the postal/zip code, it never gets to that, just the street and town.
  • Deleted user 23 September 2012 00:58:28
    Maps, this just in - Meanwhile in Brussels, where 85% of the population are French speakers, rather than Flemish*, it turns out the maps are exclusively in Flemish, making it more or less useless for almost everyone living here.

*google 'belgian language wars', if you've nothing better to do.. :)
  • Fake_Blood 23 Sep 2012 08:41:25 4,446 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well the majority of people driving to Brussels is mainly Flemish.
  • beastmaster 23 Sep 2012 08:54:26 11,983 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My mates bought himself the new iPhone. Hmm...

I certainly like the way it feels in the hand. It's a good weight too. It's only when I got to the OS that my heart sank. The reason why I stopped using iPhone was that I began to find the interface boring. Yet, I love using it on the iPad.

Got plenty of time to decide what to get. It's certainly not made me want to buy out my existing contract and move onto it.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• fletch7100 23 Sep 2012 09:08:08 7,446 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Fake_Blood

Some games I like

Hunters 2 top down view turned based game, imagine warhammer 40kish
    Contre Jour guide a little blob round the screen has got some great chilled out music
    Monkey island 2 adventure game
    Zenoina 4 old school JRPG style game
    Real Racing 2
    Monster wars defence game like Plants v Zombies instead you control the bad guys killing the humans and unicorns :)
    Infinity Blade 2
    The Dark Meadow first person view adventure game
  • Fake_Blood 23 Sep 2012 09:22:57 4,446 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tnx everyone for the apps.
    There's so much great stuff out there but it isn't logical that i have to ask in here to find the best apps.
    The app store is kind of limited in what it shows you.
  • CharlieStCloud 23 Sep 2012 16:24:02 5,530 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    I certainly like the way it feels in the hand. It's a good weight too. It's only when I got to the OS that my heart sank. The reason why I stopped using iPhone was that I began to find the interface boring.
    Only just back from my friends to watch the football and his partner was making a little bit too obvious that she has got the new iPhone ... by practically waving the blooming thing in my face.

I echo your comments; it really is quite lovely to feel and hold in your hand and thus, I happily take it back when Jive and co. were going on and on about that kind of bobbins.

... and yet when you 'slide to unlock', it is slightly disheartening that the very first (original) iPod touch I have looks more or less similar except the obvious leap in the warmth of the colours and the 'Retina' screen.

I know the phone 'just works', but unfortunately, five or six years of the same home screen is genuinely quite boring.

As for those who are looking for games to play on their new iPhone, here comes everyone's favourite ... a list!

Angry Birds Space,
    Beat Sneak Bandit,
    Civilisation Revolution,
    Cut the Rope,
    Draw Something,
    Flick Kick Football,
    Fruit Ninja,
    Ghost Trick,
    Granny Smith,
    Little Things Forever,
    Mikey Shorts,
    Monsters Ate My Condo,
    Peggle,
    Plants vs. Zombies,
    Rayman Jungle Run,
    The Room,
    Score!,
    Super Hexagon,
    Tiny Wings,
    Wonderputt,
    Words With Friends.

They are all rather quite brilliant.
  • Blaketown 27 Sep 2012 20:47:05 4,953 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Question for you Mac types.
    Wife's iPhone 4 is fucked. Won't turn on.
    I've ordered a 5 for her but I want to export all her Contacts from iTunes so I can put them into a non iPhone I have borrowed from a friend so she has a phone while I wait the 2 weeks it appears it is going to take to get stock.
    Google has let me down. Everything says I have to plug in the iPhone. Is that right?

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Deleted user 27 September 2012 21:00:33
    Not sure I understand. How are you planning on doing it without plugging in the phone?

Did she not have the previous phone set so that it synced to iCloud on her account?
  • Blaketown 27 Sep 2012 21:09:13 4,953 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes. I guess so.
    Surely the contacts are backed up off the phone. All that syncing has to serve some purpose. Can't find any help on the matter that doesn't say "plug the phone in" though.

For instance, if I wanted to do it were my Android broken, I would log in to Google in a browser and export my contacts from there. Can't I do that with iTunes?

Edited by Blaketown at 21:12:05 27-09-2012

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Deleted user 27 September 2012 21:12:43
    Depends on what the temporary phone is and how its been backed up. The apple format of contacts may or may not be compatible. I'm pretty sure you can export/sync them with google without plugging in the iPhone so if the temporary one is android based then she's fine.

Ed: mac or PC?

Edited by Aargh. at 21:13:07 27-09-2012
  • THFourteen 27 Sep 2012 21:12:55 34,468 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can't you just log into icloud on the laptop and see if her contacts are saved there?

in which case they will sync with her new phone when she logs in with the same apple account
  • Page

of 235 First / Last