of 75 First / Last

• TenderChicken 19 May 2017 11:11:08 3,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Time to bump this thread no?
  • Graxlar_v2 19 May 2017 11:12:05 6,047 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    :) I read the headline and said, that's about right.
  • greg_wha 19 May 2017 11:19:45 802 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Remember Electronics Boutique?
  • TitanWarlord93 19 May 2017 11:23:19 91 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-05-19-game-has-a-new-36-loyalty-card-scheme

GAME has just announced this and it is priced just over 30 a year which is basically around 3 a month.

What do you make of this?
  • Graxlar_v2 19 May 2017 11:24:04 6,047 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @TitanWarlord93 read above
  • Frogofdoom 19 May 2017 11:24:43 4,548 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Its odd eurogamer dont mention that if you dont save the cost of the subscription over the year that you will be awarded it in credit. Not saying it makes it a more interesting prospect but they should have maybe reported what the offering is rather than their usual shitty attack on game.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 19 May 2017 11:27:01 5,799 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I do think it was a bit, well, completely unfair to put 'unattractive' in the headline. I mean it's true, but I would expect at least a pretence at impartiality.
  • TitanWarlord93 19 May 2017 11:31:31 91 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    To be honest I was reading that forum and then EG just posted the article so I thought I'd link it on here so you can see it for yourself.

IMO this was just a desperation attempt to keep the business going and just don't think before they take action so this new scheme is pointless.

I think EG kinda overreacting too much writing this article out like it was breaking news or some sort.

Edited by TitanWarlord93 at 11:35:20 19-05-2017
  • caligari 19 May 2017 12:01:01 17,516 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Kangoo wrote:
    as I was picking up Little Nightmares which wasn't overpriced in store.

Maybe not ripping people off is the way forward.
    Heh, I also purchased Little Nightmares from Game. It was an odd experience buying from an actual 'bricks and mortar' - the only problem being that the first shop didn't have any in stock (just lots of display boxes) which meant that I had to cycle to the one on the other side of the city. Oh, the humanity!

They are strange environments nowadays - the PS4 section appears to be the most popular section in the two shops that I visited, and yet they cram it into a tiny sweaty aisle - the bulk of the shops are seemingly given up to to Nintendo merchandise and 'gaming' T-shirts. As smelly as Gamestation was, it was great being able to simply flick through racks of different games.

I feel sorry for the guys working in these places - most of the staff appear to genuinely like pooter games, but their retail gods are obviously bullying them into 'upgrading' sales and taking pointless pre-orders. Both Game shops attempted to convince me that I should be buying the (more expensive) collector's edition of Little Nightmares - I felt like I was taking bread out of the mouths of their children by refusing.

Edited by caligari at 12:02:08 19-05-2017
  • Gaol 19 May 2017 12:25:34 2,979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I said the same on the comments, the use of unattractive makes the article look shitty, even if it's true.

This reward card might have made more sense at a lower price. A tenner so I can pay roughly the same as the online price for a year maybe. As it is, it just reinforces how expensive they are.
  • the_milkybar_kid 19 May 2017 13:18:56 5,162 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So... You're paying 30 quid to get a loyalty card to accrue points for games that are already 10- 15 quid more expensive than everywhere else? Off you fuck, Game.
  • RyanDS 19 May 2017 13:30:51 11,531 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So you spend 536 on new scheme you get 50 back of which 36 you had to pay into the fund already. So you only actually get 14

You spend 536 in the old scheme you get 10.18 back. Not really much benefit there apart from losing 36 upfront to claim back later.
  • TenderChicken 19 May 2017 13:37:18 3,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The scheme is borderline insulting, don't get me wrong, but I agree the Eurogamer headline and general tone is stupidly partisan. You're better than this, Eurogamer!
  • Ror 19 May 2017 13:58:43 15,090 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    greg_wha wrote:
    I remember going into EB after school one day to buy Panzer Dragoon Saga (34.99!) with some birthday money that I'd been hoarding for its release. Good times. Good memories.

I still have it in mint condition :)
  • Intergalactic_Threat 19 May 2017 14:23:24 69 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:
    So... You're paying 30 quid to get a loyalty card to accrue points for games that are already 10- 15 quid more expensive than everywhere else? Off you fuck, Game.
    Wait, you have to PAY for a loyalty card?

A LOYALTY card?
  • Intergalactic_Threat 19 May 2017 14:24:29 69 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    I brought Injustice 2 today. They wanted 60 for the edition with darkseid in, so i just asked for the regular edition (it's 42 in tesco, but nevermind) and the regular edition comes with...darkseid.

Nice scam you got going there.
  • superbob85 19 May 2017 14:25:55 7,127 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Paying to earn extra reward points 😂
  • Intergalactic_Threat 19 May 2017 14:30:42 69 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    I think I threw my card away years ago in a fit of pique.

Literally everywhere else on the high street is cheaper than they.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 19 May 2017 15:25:06 952 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ok, so, doing some quick arithmetic here...

Edit: Whoops, messed up my maths. Let me think about this some more.

Edit to the Edit: Ok, re-ran this quickly. The short version is that if you buy more than 486 of games per year (of which 450 cash and 36 store-credit), buy them all from Game and do not buy games where the gap between the Game price and the cheapest price from another source is more than 5, you can just about break even on this on purchases alone. Trade-ins might just about push you into net-positive territory, but you will need to do a lot of trade-ins for that to work.

And this does lock you in to at least 450 of your money going to Game each year and falls over if the price-gap between Game and the cheapest alternative source is more than 5.

Edited by Rogueywon at 15:29:53 19-05-2017
  • robthehermit 19 May 2017 16:26:38 5,971 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you don't manage to get more back than you spent on the membership within 12 months they'll give you the difference back in points, so technically you can't lose whether you spend enough or not. Still a complete rip off though, and you'd probably save/earn more by shopping around and/or using quidco.

Edit for example:

I bought a 1tb xbone s with FH3 for 210 from Simply, Game price 299.

Edited by robthehermit at 16:30:47 19-05-2017
  • robthehermit 19 May 2017 17:22:59 5,971 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dear Internet,

The new Game Elite loyalty scam does offer good value for money to anyone who can't do maths and has never heard of Amazon, and in our defence, somebody who pays 36 for a loyalty card deserves everything they get.

Rodger Game.
  • YenRug 19 May 2017 18:05:11 4,408 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    I do think it was a bit, well, completely unfair to put 'unattractive' in the headline. I mean it's true, but I would expect at least a pretence at impartiality.
    TenderChicken wrote:
    The scheme is borderline insulting, don't get me wrong, but I agree the Eurogamer headline and general tone is stupidly partisan. You're better than this, Eurogamer!
    And what if EG had just posted a story about it with no comment or opinion? Would it be fairly safe to say they'd have been called out for reproducing press releases, or that the article was just an advert in disguise?

I've seen plenty of comments claiming just that, recently, so why have a go at them for voicing an opinion especially when you then claim that you agree with them, one way or another?

The job of press media IS to pass comment, where necessary, not to just regurgitate soundbites and press releases, that's the job of a spokesperson.
  • TenderChicken 19 May 2017 18:08:02 3,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh no I agree with the sentiment of what they're saying, it's just how they said it. May just be me though!
  • ghostgate2001 19 May 2017 18:57:39 549 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    greg_wha wrote:
    I remember going into EB after school one day to buy Panzer Dragoon Saga (34.99!) with some birthday money that I'd been hoarding for its release. Good times. Good memories.

Whoa... You managed to buy a "new" game from them that was actually in mint condition? That alone would've made it a day to remember, regardless of what game it was! :)
  • cowell 22 May 2017 14:35:21 1,083 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Whoever decided to turn their official facebook account into dank meme central over the past week, needs taking out back and shooting. That shit is just straight up annoying.
  • funkstar 22 May 2017 15:21:32 3,052 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TenderChicken wrote:
    Oh no I agree with the sentiment of what they're saying, it's just how they said it. May just be me though!
    you disagree with them saying an unappealing loyalty scheme is unappealing? I could think of much worse things to call it!

I'd say it's EG's duty to call them out on this shit

Edited by funkstar at 15:22:52 22-05-2017
  • brokenkey 22 May 2017 15:24:36 8,763 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Bought some steam credit in-store at the weekend. Store manager started the sales pitch, I said "I've read about it on line", he stopped right there.
  • -Gemini44- 22 May 2017 15:41:03 29 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    Don't give a fuck about Game, or what happens to them, but I slightly feel for the poorly paid staff having to push yet another, tedious 'customer incentive' onto everyone who approaches the counter.

Waste of time, though. Clearly nothing more than a cynical cash grab by a company trying to fend off the administrators.
  • Ror 22 May 2017 16:16:24 15,090 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ghostgate2001 wrote:
    Ror wrote:
    greg_wha wrote:

Whoa... You managed to buy a "new" game from them that was actually in mint condition? That alone would've made it a day to remember, regardless of what game it was! :)
    Well, it was nineteen years ago. Simpler times.

This seemed an apt late response ;)
  • Page

of 75 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.