of 13 First / Last

• [+..ēē] 20 Dec 2006 12:06:15 341 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looks promising...
  • oceanmotion 20 Dec 2006 12:33:52 15,662 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Quite gruesome when the Elite cut the Brutes legs off then stabs him in the chest and the Brute pulling the marines arms right out their sockets, Chewie!

Wonder if that will make it into the final game. Would be sweet.
  • Forebodin 20 Dec 2006 12:44:16 161 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sean on Neogaf pointed out that if you pause the video at mark 1:53, you can see the new HUD, complete with faint visor outline and a suspicious 4th grenade icon (top-left) that looks like something I've seen before...'X' button usage confirmed? It's either that, or we'll be cycling through 4 types of grenades.

It seems the health/overshield indicator is now centered at the top of the screen (and is much longer), weapons and ammo gauge are on the top-right, and a slightly angled radar on the bottom-left.

Edited by Forebodin at 12:50:41 20-12-2006
  • ilmaestro 20 Dec 2006 12:50:15 32,406 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Forebodin wrote:
    Sean on Neogaf pointed out that if you pause the video at mark 1:53, you can see the new HUD, complete with faint visor outline and a suspicious 4th grenade icon (top-left) that looks like something I've seen before...'X' button usage confirmed?
    The shield thing from the TV ad?

• Forebodin 20 Dec 2006 12:51:15 161 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes sir!

/conjecture
  • ilmaestro 20 Dec 2006 12:56:44 32,406 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cool, I'll have to watch the trailer later.

• Lukus 20 Dec 2006 13:11:59 18,998 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    WooHoo!!! wrote:
    7 minute Halo 3 documentary about Brutes.

Youtube link for those that can't wait

Animation looks to be top notch. Funny Bungie rightfully slating themselves at the start. Good on them.
    Animation looks to be top notch? I wasn't impressed. Especially after playing Gears of War and seeing Heavenly Sword. Though I guess I can just about forgive it as the Halo 3 game mechanics will be much more frantic and faster paced than Gears, so realistically timed and weighted animation may not be possible.

Paintings & Photographs

• Xerx3s 20 Dec 2006 13:59:21 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Think that it looks brilliant for place holder material.
  • oceanmotion 20 Dec 2006 14:07:55 15,662 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago

Xboxyde video

I think it looks pretty good for being alpha. The no texture scenes look like very high quality. When they put final textures etc.. on that it should look fantastic.

• oceanmotion 20 Dec 2006 14:12:32 15,662 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got some pics off the video

You got to admit that looks good

Non textured Brute, impressive

Assault rifle

• RevanEleven 20 Dec 2006 14:19:26 2,076 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    i really want to wait for the 720p version on live, what time does it cime to the UK? sorry about asking again, but there seemed to be some confusion.
  • Forebodin 20 Dec 2006 14:23:36 161 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RevanEleven wrote:
    i really want to wait for the 720p version on live, what time does it cime to the UK? sorry about asking again, but there seemed to be some confusion.
    It's up now in SD and HD.
  • RevanEleven 20 Dec 2006 14:40:57 2,076 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Forebodin wrote:
    RevanEleven wrote:
    It's up now in SD and HD.

wow, cheers mate. i'll check it out now, well after dickinsons real deal has finished of course. ;-)
  • Onny 20 Dec 2006 14:56:48 5,697 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    rotj wrote:
    Just watched the vid. My thoughts? If all the enemies had of been Elites, I would've been cacking it right now. A seriously impressive video in most regards, and the potential of the graphics looks infinite. But I don't know, I just can't bring myself to care as much about fighting Brutes. I just can't.

:(
    CACKING IT.
  • NthSimulachum 20 Dec 2006 18:09:39 785 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its perhaps because the Elites are far more alien than the Brutes... squid jaw, weird arms and legs. Whilst brutes are basically gorillas with pachydermic legs.

If they have character though in the new one, and are INTERESTING to fight, then they should be good. Which it looks like they are making. In white textures.
  • Xerx3s 20 Dec 2006 18:16:57 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No, the reason why people like elites over brutes is because they make funny comments, use team tactics that make sense and do lot's of clever stuff. Brutes just charge you.
  • matrim83 20 Dec 2006 19:10:07 5,587 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Having just seen the video, I am equal parts excited and concerned. Right at the start of the video they seem to understand why brutes were not much fun in Halo 2 and seem to be earnestly trying to rectify that. Yet every time I see a brute in that video its either

a) Standing in the open shooting at you and "absorbing" all your hits.

b) Charging you to melee.

I know its relatively early build and that we did not see a lot of what the final game would be like, still like I said worry and excitement in mixed in equal parts for me.

And it was nice to see the grunts.

Valar morghulis.

• mcmonkeyplc 20 Dec 2006 19:34:51 39,387 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bang Bang!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Deleted user 20 December 2006 20:33:36
    So then...they're making the brutes better by basically making them like elites, right? I mean, from looking at that video it really did look like they were basically acting like elites now. Which is at least a definite improvement.

Pretty underwhelmed by the game footage, but they'd hardly go and show their very best stuff in such a small documentary. It's hard to shake the feeling that it just looks like a higher-res Halo 2 though.
  • morriss 20 Dec 2006 21:10:53 70,911 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @nekotcha

morriss wrote:
    Bungie cover their own backsides :)
  • morriss 20 Dec 2006 21:11:33 70,911 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FluffyTucker wrote:
    Brutes are shit

You can shove your shit up your fucking arse you cunt.

:)
  • Forebodin 20 Dec 2006 21:26:03 161 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Forebodin wrote:
    Sean on Neogaf pointed out that if you pause the video at mark 1:53, you can see the new HUD, complete with faint visor outline and a suspicious 4th grenade icon (top-left) that looks like something I've seen before...'X' button usage confirmed? It's either that, or we'll be cycling through 4 types of grenades.

"2. Four grenades in the HUD! Is that fourth one the Shield Grenade from the TV ad?

No. And like anything you see in the Vidoc, itís based on early dev work, often months-old. I can tell you that the HUD shown in the Vidoc isnít like the one in the current build. There may be more or less items in that ďgrenadeĒ bar now. It may be gone entirely. Iím not saying this to simply distract you from the question, but rather truthfully point out that things can, do and will change. Donít get too attached to, or too upset by anything you see here. Itís likely that almost every single element shown will look entirely different by the time the game ships."

Damn it, Bungie. You're in my forum, denying my claims!

Edited by Forebodin at 21:26:59 20-12-2006
  • ilmaestro 20 Dec 2006 21:27:41 32,406 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /crosses Forebodin off list of 'people whose speculation to listen to'

;)

• Whizzo 20 Dec 2006 21:38:19 43,035 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Place me in the "underwhelmed" group.

That wasn't much cop at all.

This space left intentionally blank.

• phAge 20 Dec 2006 21:39:05 24,336 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    Place me in the "underwhelmed" group.

That wasn't much cop at all.
    Plus one.
  • Deleted user 20 December 2006 21:39:07
    morriss wrote:
    @nekotcha

morriss wrote:

:D

Well yes, they would say that, wouldn't they?

S'fair enough though, I mean, I'd do exactly the same, mainly because it's almost always true. And let's be honest, stating it's all WIP covers all bases; those who like it say "OMG! Just think what it'll look like by release!" and those who don't say "Well, they've got plenty of time yet to make it look amazing".
  • morriss 20 Dec 2006 21:41:19 70,911 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nekotcha wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    @nekotcha

morriss wrote:

:D

Well yes, they would say that, wouldn't they?

S'fair enough though, I mean, I'd do exactly the same, mainly because it's almost always true. And let's be honest, stating it's all WIP covers all bases; those who like it say "OMG! Just think what it'll look like by release!" and those who don't say "Well, they've got plenty of time yet to make it look amazing".

Yeah they say the graphics are 'moths' old. Whether we choose you believe them is another thing!

I do of course: blindly. :)
  • Deleted user 20 December 2006 21:49:39
    morriss wrote:
    Yeah they say the graphics are 'moths' old. Whether we choose you believe them is another thing!

I do of course: blindly. :)

Ah, the ancient time period of a 'moth'. Commonly thought to be around 30 of our modern 'days' long.

Thing is, as I think I said in the previous Halo 3 thread, it looks like they're going for scale over graphical swish, so while the details might be limited, as an overall spectacle it should still be pretty special.

The animation still sucks, though. :p
  • Whizzo 20 Dec 2006 21:50:48 43,035 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was amazed at how they're going on about animation so much and then they showed the same terrible movement from the previous games.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Deleted user 20 December 2006 21:53:48
    Whizzo wrote:
    I was amazed at how they're going on about animation so much and then they showed the same terrible movement from the previous games.

If anyone wonders why the brutes move like slightly overweight American developers though, at least we'll know why. :D
  • Page

of 13 First / Last