Halo 3 Page 11

• Page

of 13 First / Last

• sanctusmortis 13 Feb 2007 00:09:35 9,628 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Do it for Crackdown. It deserves the sales.

The beta... well, you could download it and then leave it until you feel the urge.
  • TripSkyway 13 Feb 2007 02:08:32 2,584 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Beat me to it.

The 'mute player' option sounds great.
    Top stuff, a very good idea.
  • oceanmotion 13 Feb 2007 12:04:41 15,820 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    New Halo 3 Alpha video

Best one yet. Shows a few of the guns working and the buggy thing in motion. Old pistol is back. Don't think it will be up long so have a quick look.

Edited by WooHoo!!! at 12:08:25 13-02-2007
  • Blerk Moderator 13 Feb 2007 12:05:42 48,225 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That's the best one? I'd hate to see the worst one!

Hasn't this guy ever heard of 'putting the camera on a stable surface'?
  • oceanmotion 13 Feb 2007 12:08:01 15,820 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    That's the best one? I'd hate to see the worst one!

Hasn't this guy ever heard of 'putting the camera on a stable surface'?

Obviously compared to the other dire ones. Guess he is trying to hide his identity.
  • morriss 13 Feb 2007 12:11:21 70,942 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Looks nice, very clean.
  • Deleted user 13 February 2007 12:30:09
    That green screen is the fucking next-gen.
  • matrim83 13 Feb 2007 12:48:35 5,587 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    /Rubs eyes.
    /Scratches head.
    /Frowns in puzzlement.

What is Blerk doing in a Halo thread.

/Gasp.

I knew it! He loves FPS's. That kinda denial should have been a dead give away.

Edit : Saw the video. PISTOL'S BACK! \o/

Edited by matrim83 at 12:50:57 13-02-2007

Valar morghulis.

• Xerx3s 13 Feb 2007 12:54:34 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dual wielding pistols + MP = win. \0/

;)
  • ilmaestro 13 Feb 2007 12:56:35 32,407 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mmm... pistol.

• Yossarian 20 Feb 2007 00:41:18 8,401 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    finished Halo 2 on Legendary today for the first time

took me long enough to get around to putting the effort in
  • Carrybagma 20 Feb 2007 01:41:01 3,904 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fucking hell. I couldn't get off the first level in Legendary, after two or three hours of continuous play. I think I made it to the second hanger and that was that.

Not sure whether to applaud or call for an ambulance!
  • matrim83 20 Feb 2007 06:04:08 5,587 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I would have loved to play through Halo 2 on Legendary Co op but Bungie made they whole "start from the checkpoint if either one of you dies" and that was it for us. Neither one of us was terribly good. Best we could manage individually was Heroic.

I hope that is removed from Halo 3. Or at least optional.

Valar morghulis.

• Xerx3s 20 Feb 2007 06:57:16 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Carrybagma wrote:
    Fucking hell. I couldn't get off the first level in Legendary, after two or three hours of continuous play. I think I made it to the second hanger and that was that.

Not sure whether to applaud or call for an ambulance!

That's one of the unbalanced spots. It is neigh impossible to finish that part alone. 20+ elites that are twice as strong as you are & dozens of grunts that wipe your shields in a second.

I almost managed to finish that one on my own but after the last elite fell, my shields where down and one of the last grunts popped me. Seriously frustrating ikaruga/NG:B eat your heart out moment. :(

Play it in coop with a goo player and you can attack them from 2 points so they have no cover, it's a lot easier.
  • Xerx3s 20 Feb 2007 06:59:30 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    matrim83 wrote:
    I would have loved to play through Halo 2 on Legendary Co op but Bungie made they whole "start from the checkpoint if either one of you dies" and that was it for us. Neither one of us was terribly good. Best we could manage individually was Heroic.

I hope that is removed from Halo 3. Or at least optional.

Well, it was kind of what we asked for. A lot of fan's (me inc.) complained that Halo legendary became too easy so they pumped up the level to insane difficulty. It was the game over when one dies that did it for me though, the rest was still good.
  • Yossarian 20 Feb 2007 11:38:45 8,401 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    there are a few odd choke points: the hangar/boarding sequences as mentioned above, the Heretic leader, almost anywhere that involves Jackal snipers (note to Bungie: enemies who can pull off one shot instakills from across the map are irksome), and a few other fights scattered about where you are expected to get consistent plasma sticks etc.

but on the whole, it wasn't really that difficult (although definitely harder than Halo 1). I have played a lot of both games over the years, though.

then afterwards I went on Live and had my level bumped down from 27 to 25 because I was treating smart players like AI. :'(
  • Lutz 20 Feb 2007 12:33:30 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Xerx3s wrote:
    That's one of the unbalanced spots. It is neigh impossible to finish that part alone. 20+ elites that are twice as strong as you are & dozens of grunts that wipe your shields in a second.
    It's tough, but doable. But only with a BR/PP combo and sticking every plasma grenade you can. You need to be able to do multiple headshots seriously fucking fast, on the fly.

I got to far as the end of New Mombassa, then gave up. I'd apparently done the hard bits (Levels 1 and 2) and couldn' be bothered, as all the fun of legendary had been sucked out. Heroic FTW on Halo 2.
  • Yossarian 20 Feb 2007 14:17:09 8,401 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd say there are two or three parts that are much harder than the early sections, actually.

1) when you first teleport into the council chambers on High Charity and have to duke it out with dual needlers and limited carbine ammo while they throw wave after wave of grunts and brutes at you with little to no effective cover. a fucking bitch.

2) the prison section later in the same level. for some reason everyone was already alerted at the stage when you're meant to sneak around thwacking them in the back, and my checkpoint was as the lift was coming down, so I had to sticky two brutes and then jump off the platform and land on the bottom 'tier' while being shot at by ~10 grunts and jackals, then clear out all of them plus several other squads before it would checkpoint me again. but that was the game's fault, really.

3) 'Sanctified', i.e. the bit where you come across the Flood fighting a host of brutes/jackals in the prophet chambers. apparently you can hang back and hide in the lift while they duke it out instead of rushing forward and getting caught between them, but this seemed like a lame thing to do, so I had to make three perfect carbine to grunt headshots (without the reticule, because of the stupid chapter announcement black bars) while rushing forward, then four perfect plasma sticks to take out the brutes, then some luck with the jackals. it had to be done quick so I could grab their ammo/grenades and turn them on the approaching Flood rushing the narrow corridor with the door that doesn't open until everything is dead. another fucking bitch, but perhaps self-inflicted.

4) Banshee/Scarab sequence on the last level. standing turrets, Spectres, and other roving Banshees all shred you in less than two seconds of continuous fire. there are also four separate tanks. in theory you can scoot on ahead and avoid them all, but it felt too much like cheating. I guess that's a recurring theme: a lot of the hard fights are more manageable if you are cowardly.

and the Heretic leader fight basically comes down to a little luck plus perfect plasma throws. the luck is that you spot the leader out in the open and get to him cloaked in time to slash at him with the sword. it took 20+ reloads to catch him because the silly game checkpointed me after I ran out of plasma grenades blowing up the holos.
  • Xerx3s 20 Feb 2007 15:34:03 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lutz wrote:
    Xerx3s wrote:
    It's tough, but doable. But only with a BR/PP combo and sticking every plasma grenade you can. You need to be able to do multiple headshots seriously fucking fast, on the fly.

I got to far as the end of New Mombassa, then gave up. I'd apparently done the hard bits (Levels 1 and 2) and couldn' be bothered, as all the fun of legendary had been sucked out. Heroic FTW on Halo 2.

Yeh, they focussed so hard on making legendary so hard that they forgot why the original was so good (everything was hard but very well balanced and the enemies relied on AI, not super shields). I prefer the heroic over the H2 legendary while I luved the H1 legendary. Finished it once on legendary but couldn't be arsed to do it on that lvl again compared to the countless legendary runs I had in H1.
  • Xerx3s 20 Feb 2007 15:40:56 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yossarian wrote:
    I'd say there are two or three parts that are much harder than the early sections, actually.

1) when you first teleport into the council chambers on High Charity and have to duke it out with dual needlers and limited carbine ammo while they throw wave after wave of grunts and brutes at you with little to no effective cover. a fucking bitch.

This part is actually easy or very easy, depending on whether you use the pillar tactic or the 'cheat'.

2) the prison section later in the same level. for some reason everyone was already alerted at the stage when you're meant to sneak around thwacking them in the back, and my checkpoint was as the lift was coming down, so I had to sticky two brutes and then jump off the platform and land on the bottom 'tier' while being shot at by ~10 grunts and jackals, then clear out all of them plus several other squads before it would checkpoint me again. but that was the game's fault, really.

Bruteshot. ;)

3) 'Sanctified', i.e. the bit where you come across the Flood fighting a host of brutes/jackals in the prophet chambers. apparently you can hang back and hide in the lift while they duke it out instead of rushing forward and getting caught between them, but this seemed like a lame thing to do, so I had to make three perfect carbine to grunt headshots (without the reticule, because of the stupid chapter announcement black bars) while rushing forward, then four perfect plasma sticks to take out the brutes, then some luck with the jackals. it had to be done quick so I could grab their ammo/grenades and turn them on the approaching Flood rushing the narrow corridor with the door that doesn't open until everything is dead. another fucking bitch, but perhaps self-inflicted.

patience my young padawan, patience. :)

4) Banshee/Scarab sequence on the last level. standing turrets, Spectres, and other roving Banshees all shred you in less than two seconds of continuous fire. there are also four separate tanks. in theory you can scoot on ahead and avoid them all, but it felt too much like cheating. I guess that's a recurring theme: a lot of the hard fights are more manageable if you are cowardly.

You think that's cheating? How about bringing your banshee to the final scene and wiping out all brutes and the boss in less than a minute? ;)

and the Heretic leader fight basically comes down to a little luck plus perfect plasma throws. the luck is that you spot the leader out in the open and get to him cloaked in time to slash at him with the sword. it took 20+ reloads to catch him because the silly game checkpointed me after I ran out of plasma grenades blowing up the holos.

Indeed a bit of a bitch, even on lower skill levels.

Edited by Xerx3s at 15:41:52 20-02-2007
  • Yossarian 20 Feb 2007 16:39:31 8,401 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oh I know about the Banshee in Control Room trick, but my Legendary run was very much about playing in the spirit of the game, so exploits, skulls, running past fights, or hiding in the shadows while opposing forces duked it out simply weren't options. the only exception to the last was the mausoleum fight, where you're ordered to hang back (ultra elites with fuel rods = scary, also). but I couldn't tell myself I'd beaten the game if I'd sat at the back of Sanctified watching AI fight and occasionally pressing the lift button.

also, the prison level wouldn't ordinarily be difficult because you can pick your battles blah blah, it was that for some reason everyone was already alerted (it was pretty funny, because there's a Cortana dialogue about doing things 'quietly' that was always interrupted by a hail of needles), so the second the game loaded I had roughly ten enemies firing at an exposed me. the difficulty came in working out a way of getting past that weird checkpoint without having to start the level over, and it turned out two sticks and wild acrobatics were the only way (I had a cool grenade jump figured out that would have put me in an even better spot, but I couldn't pull it off and stay alive because I needed every sliver of shield to survive the initial burst of fire). the second problem was that because everyone was alerted I didn't get another checkpoint until everyone was dead. but like I said that, that was the game's fault.

thanks for your patronisation, though.
  • Xerx3s 20 Feb 2007 16:46:38 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeh, but that's the problem with H2 legendary isn't it? It's so effin hard at some points that you start to seek such exploits. Never did these things in H1 as it was about fun and not being insanely hard at some points.

The mausoleum fight is cool isn't it? When that music starts pumping out of my speakers I can't help it but jump into the fight ...

I wasn't trying to be patronising. :( If I was, then you have my apologies.
  • morriss 24 Feb 2007 08:02:28 70,942 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You've gotta hand it to Frankie, he does make it sound fantastic. Just give me a screenie ffs!!

/drools over vegetation movement
  • Scimarad 24 Feb 2007 09:14:21 8,536 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That does sound great. I'm still a little worried by this talk of the game being much darker; Don't forget it's supposed to to be fun, you guys!
  • Yossarian 24 Feb 2007 09:32:17 8,401 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I played Halo 2 on Normal to relax yesterday and I can't understand why anyone would play on that dificulty. it became a completely different (and considerably more boring) game.
  • phAge 24 Feb 2007 09:32:23 24,348 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    You've gotta hand it to Frankie, he does make it sound fantastic. Just give me a screenie ffs!!

/drools over vegetation movement
    Of course, he forgot to add "naturally, stuff won't look like that from more than 12 ft. away. But we're reasonably confident that players won't care that leaves are actually just green polygons 'till you're standing rigth next to them".

;)
  • ilmaestro 24 Feb 2007 11:57:32 32,407 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Ah shit, that does sound awesome. I know there's no way he wouldn't make it sound awesome, but even in that context it still qualifies.

I'd love them to include that vector filter type thing in the final game, even just to mess around with in some kind of bonus mode.

• Yossarian 24 Feb 2007 13:49:38 8,401 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    if they bring back the skulls they could put it in that way
  • Xerx3s 24 Feb 2007 15:10:04 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    All this talk about vegetation....a clue that the spartan mark III's will be in the game with their active camouflage? Those things would really make the effect look cool...
  • morriss 24 Feb 2007 15:13:59 70,942 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Even Crysis doesn't have moving foliage....

/trolls
  • Page

of 13 First / Last