Never Mind the Buzzcocks Page 7

• Page

of 13 First / Last

• Fatiguez 1 Oct 2009 23:52:43 8,756 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    He was surprisingly un-annoying, but like others have said, the show's just not that good without Amstell :C

show me your tits u bitch from ubisoft

• President_Weasel 2 Oct 2009 01:23:41 9,602 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just watched it on the iplayer and I have to say it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. Recent episodes had got really mean-spirited and depressing, and there was a sense of friendliness and fun about this episode.
    I'm predisposed to hate Corden, too - so the fact that I could stand him in this was a pleasant surprise. He still had a stupid fake-seeming laugh though.

I'd say Cubby's post sums it up pretty well.

cubbymoore wrote:
    As much as I don't really like him, I thought he was alright. Not amazing but I found myself not cringing quite a lot.
  • cubbymoore 2 Oct 2009 01:34:13 36,503 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also got to bear in mind that as with HIGNFY, this is the first time hosting for him and the majority of the other hosts who are to follow. For a first time it was pretty good. I mean, I'm pretty sure it took Amstell at least two or three episodes to really get into the role.
  • mal 2 Oct 2009 01:59:55 22,793 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gah, that was pretty bad. Mainly because of Corden's mugging to be fair. And it did pick up towards the end. To begin with it was just a slow old quiz show - but the musical intros round always lifts things.

Looking forward to next week. If Rhod Gilbert is the guy I saw at the comedy store, he can be very funny.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• PearOfAnguish 2 Oct 2009 08:27:07 7,461 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It was awful. Corden is a terrible host. Only barely saved by Fielding and Jupitus.

Rhod Gilbert is very funny at stand up so definitely worth watching next week.
  • President_Weasel 16 Oct 2009 00:21:40 9,602 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm liking new buzzocks these days. It's got a good heart, I tell you.
    "let's make a quiz about pop music!"
  • PearOfAnguish 16 Oct 2009 01:06:34 7,461 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Really funny episode this week, Alex James was surprisingly good.
  • mal 16 Oct 2009 01:26:41 22,793 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, two good weeks in a row. Corden really was fucking awful though.

They do need to do something with the show though. It's got decent people on it, and the banter's often funny, but when it started it was meant to be a little bit edgy (in a BBC sort of way). You can't do old and edgy, even if you're the Beeb. It's the quiz show equivalent of Iggy Pop.

• boo 22 Oct 2009 22:01:54 11,897 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Who the hell was that no-mark host?

That. Sucked!

Just Another Lego Blog

• PearOfAnguish 22 Oct 2009 22:09:34 7,461 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah it was pretty poor, whoever that guy was he liked the sound of his own voice.

Make Alex James the permanent host!
  • Simian 23 Oct 2009 00:10:42 600 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just caught this on Iplayer. Gawd, Jack Whitehall is cringe-worthy to watch - just not funny at all.

I thought Rhod Gilbert was pretty good, but Alex James has been the best so far!

• mal 23 Oct 2009 00:32:55 22,793 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, Alex James was ace. I've caught him on a couple of programmes in the past and he's not come across well, but he seemed to enjoy taking the piss out of himself on NMtB so he's alright by me.

Not seen this weeks episode yet. Might not bother now.

• mal 25 Oct 2009 14:03:07 22,793 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So, I gave in and watched the episode in the end, and Jack Whitehall wasn't that bad. He delivered the scripted gags passably and then let the comedians get on with it in the main. He certainly wasn't nearly as bad as Corden who seemed to want the entire show to be just about him.

• President_Weasel 25 Oct 2009 16:05:58 9,602 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    i still don't grasp what Jack Whitehall is for. He's not, as far as I can tell, talented at anything at all. Is he on TV for having stupid hair?
  • Physically_Insane 5 Nov 2009 00:39:19 9,111 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Really?

Woo, love Harry.
  • sanctusmortis 6 Nov 2009 12:37:42 9,707 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    President Weasel wrote:
    i still don't grasp what Jack Whitehall is for. He's not, as far as I can tell, talented at anything at all. Is he on TV for having stupid hair?

He seems to be a midpoint between Russell Brand and Simon Amstell.
  • HoriZon 6 Nov 2009 13:14:17 13,589 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I love Claudia !! she's my angel!

Show so misses Simon though, its not the same.

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• Trane 6 Nov 2009 13:43:16 4,058 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    sanctusmortis wrote:
    President Weasel wrote:

He seems to be a midpoint between Russell Brand and Simon Amstell.

He's a posh idiot, I don't quite know which bit of Russel Brand and Simon Amstell accounts for that.
  • Alastair 6 Nov 2009 13:45:51 16,278 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    hiddenranbir wrote:
    Woo, love Jamelia.

Mmm....
  • President_Weasel 6 Nov 2009 13:50:34 9,602 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    HoriZon wrote:
    I love Claudia !! she's my angel!

Show so misses Simon though, its not the same.

I think it's better, Amstell carried on from the last couple of series of Lamarr; there was too much meanness, the guests seemed a bit scared and some of the laughs were a bit nervous in a "shit, he'll turn on me next" kind of way.

The current series has a sense of fun again, and I approve of it. Even when they show embarrassing clips of the guests there's a feeling of "let's have a bit of a laugh together about this clip" rather than "sit there and squirm while I am cutting about you".

Amstell was clever and a skillful presenter, but he was killing the show. I could barely bring myself to watch the new series
  • Alastair 6 Nov 2009 13:59:08 16,278 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Really? I thought Amstell was a breath of fresh air after Lamarr. Shame he's not doing it anymore.
    The guest presenter format seems to be working well too though.
  • mal 6 Nov 2009 14:12:15 22,793 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I still miss Lamarr, but the show was definitely in need of a change by the time he left. I quite like Amstell, but I didn't like what he did to the show. And this series has been more miss than hit, presenter-wise, though I approve of having Cheese as a captain ;)

Alex James was easily the presenter of the series so far for me. Haven't seen the Winkelwoman's show yet, but I don't expect her to be as good as James was.

• Deleted user 6 November 2009 14:14:58
    For me the show really only justified itself when Amstell came in. Before then it was just another scripted comedy panel show that made me cringe lots, but Amstell was genuinely very funny, and he gave the show a bit of unique character. His personality really added a lot to it.

It was perfect for him as well. Id never really liked him on E4, but I suddenly realised what a funny bloke he was when he started doing Buzzcocks.

• Alastair 6 Nov 2009 14:15:20 16,278 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    She was competent and Jamelia was looking pretty hot.
    Lamarr was getting too hateful for me - I'd pretty much stopped watching.
  • Trane 6 Nov 2009 16:18:12 4,058 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The best buzzcocks ever for me was hosted by Amstell, they had that idiot Donnie Tourette on Phil's team, and Bill Bailey as the other captain.

Amstell and Bailey were just on top form.
  • Deleted user 6 November 2009 16:23:38
    Trane wrote:
    The best buzzcocks ever for me was hosted by Amstell, they had that idiot Donnie Tourette on Phil's team, and Bill Bailey as the other captain.

Amstell and Bailey were just on top form.

I enjoyed the one with Adel and Mark Ronson. Also the one where Preston walked off was pretty classic. Oh, and one of my favourite moments ever, went something like:

Amstell: Why do you keep do keep doing that laugh?

Amy Winehouse: It's my new thing.

Amstell: Oh I thought that was Smack!

Amy Winehouse: Do I look like Russel Brand?

Amstell: Erm...yes!
  • Page

of 13 First / Last