The Hobbit Page 31

• Page

of 52 First / Last

• barchetta 13 Dec 2012 17:58:37 1,338 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @beastmaster

HFR? IMAX? 3D? arrgh! not sure how I want to see it.

I think we have HFR IMAX here in Nottingham so that looks favourite for our visit..

Would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the tech side...
  • beastmaster 13 Dec 2012 18:04:39 11,453 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Will certainly do that tonight. Not read the book since my early teens so won't have a clue about how faithful an adap it will be.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• ronuds 13 Dec 2012 20:16:41 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was looking for 2D IMAX, but that doesn't seem to be an option. No IMAX is showing HFR in my area either. :(

I can't wear those glasses for 3 hours, though, so it's regular old 2D for me.
  • MrWonderstuff 13 Dec 2012 20:58:19 1,935 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Saw this today. Good escapist romp. Helped seeing it on the new 4k screen, 3D and at 48fps or whatever it is. Not sure about the 48fps as there were scenes where stuff seem to speed up (mainly at the beginning or did I just get used to it). I wasn't hyped for this really but it was a good film to watch. Nice acting from the mains, good pacing and some good action scenes. Not quite as epic as the Fellowship but still a good movie all told.
  • beastmaster 13 Dec 2012 23:21:55 11,453 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Eeerrrr....Ummm....

• beastmaster 14 Dec 2012 00:14:25 11,453 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey Filled With Utter Orc Turd and Awesomeness. Are you Tolkien the piss/10 A generous 7/10

I saw this on the IMAX in HRF (Higher Frame Rate) 3D. What does this mean? It runs at twice the frame rate in order for the 3D to be much better than anything you've ever seen before. Ever. It's supposed to be crystal clear and give you a truly incredible 3D effect. Time for a deep breath here as this has a significant impact on the film. There are some major problems with the film itself but I'll get to that later.

James Cameron tested HRF when doing Avatar and decided against using it. He was smart. What has the effect of totally loosing any kind of cinematic feel. It's all gone! It's like watching a HD documentary. The sets look like film sets. The fake beards look like fake beards. It's too clean and crisp and utterly strips it of the 'magic' of cinema. This is really apparent in the indoor scenes to the point of distraction. Anyone who's seen a blu-ray where they've gone totally OTT the DNR will know what I'm yabbering on about. It totally ground the film in reality and for a film of this kind, its not a good thing.

Moving onto the film, the idea of turning what was originally a two part into a three part film series is a colossal mistake. The first 80 mins is a slow, boring, lumbering mess. They've reeeallly stretched it out. This is almost the running times of some films. A literal pain in the ass!

In terms of the Hobbit story, it doesn't have any of the colourful central characters of The Lord Of The Rings. It's a totally unfair comparison I know but it still need to engage the audience.

I did promise you awesomeness and this film does have it. There's a certain point where the film turns (at 8.40pm by my watch. Seriously, I looked!). The plot and action finally get going and things get up to a standard that's up there with the very best of the LOTR trilogy. Even the HRF shows off what it is truly capable of. It's jaw droopingly stunning. This is at it's best in the outdoor action scenes. The latter part of the film is incredible. What they've done with Gollum is probably worth the 13 it cost for the ticket.

To sum up, skip the first hour and watch it at a normal frame rate on as big a screen as you possibly can. I want to see this again on a normal non 3D screen. The first 80 mins though is not making we want to rush and see it in a hurry.

Edited by beastmaster at 00:23:40 14-12-2012

• barchetta 14 Dec 2012 00:34:18 1,338 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thanks for the write up. Um, I know I'm going to see it in IMAX HFR....despite my reservations pretty much aligning with your thoughts. Don't get to the flicks anywhere near as often as I would like though, so I'm intrigued by the spectacle.

The slow start has me worried though - I'll be taking my 9 and 6 yr olds since we romped through the book recently. They are remarkably patient but this may stretch things too far.
  • Nanocrystal 14 Dec 2012 00:50:14 1,036 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    There's a certain point where the film turns (at 8.40pm by my watch. Seriously, I looked!).
    Sweet, I'm going to an 8:30 showing!
  • the_dudefather 14 Dec 2012 08:10:01 9,302 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Moving onto the film, the idea of turning what was originally a two part into a three part film series is a colossal mistake. The first 80 mins is a slow, boring, lumbering mess. They've reeeallly stretched it out. This is almost the running times of some films. A literal pain in the ass!
    Great, it's like Deathly Hallows part 1 again

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Widge Moderator 14 Dec 2012 08:47:06 13,681 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    To sum up, skip the first hour
    Technically, you could say this about Fellowship, where the first half of the film is them arsing about in Hobbiton and having a party, before eventually managing to get a shake on and race to Rivendell. Which pretty much mirrors The Hobbit actually!

The unit of dwarves are awesome together, I like the way that the "washing the dishes" scene sets them up as a wickedly efficient and fluid fighting unit.

Plus Radagast, awesome.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Scurrminator 14 Dec 2012 09:09:59 8,423 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    the important thing is...how good was the Star Trek preview!?

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• beastmaster 14 Dec 2012 10:12:22 11,453 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Scurrminator

They didn't show it. Twats! They still showed the old Man of Steel trailer too. Cunts!

• Lukus 14 Dec 2012 10:29:55 19,152 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So in real terms, adjusting for beastmaster enthusiasm levels, that 7 is more like a 5.5.

Paintings & Photographs

• RedSparrows 14 Dec 2012 10:35:00 22,914 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Radagast is in it? Yeah!

Probably seeing tonight. Given I love me some Tolkien I'm sure I'll be alright.

Probably.
  • Deleted user 14 December 2012 10:42:46
    Just. Can't. Muster. Enthusiasm.
  • Deckard1 14 Dec 2012 10:44:50 28,270 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    So in real terms, adjusting for beastmaster enthusiasm levels, that 7 is more like a 5.5.
    Yeah but you've got to take into account the 2 points he took off for no explosions.
  • Scurrminator 14 Dec 2012 10:52:39 8,423 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @beastmaster
    Here's the list of UK cinemas showing it

Cineworld Birmingham & IMAX - Birmingham

Cineworld Crawley & IMAX - Crawley

Cineworld Edinburgh & IMAX - Edinburgh

Cineworld Enfield & IMAX - Enfield

Cineworld Ipswich & IMAX - Ipswich

Cineworld Nottingham & IMAX - Nottingham

Cineworld Sheffield & IMAX - Sheffield

ODEON Cardiff & IMAX Cardiff

ODEON Kingston & IMAX Kingston

ODEON Liverpool ONE & IMAX Liverpool

ODEON Swiss Cottage & IMAX London

BFI IMAX, British Film Institute London

ODEON Manchester & IMAX Manchester

ODEON Norwich & IMAX Norwich

ODEON Southampton & IMAX Southampton

ODEON Uxbridge & IMAX Uxbridge

ODEON Wimbledon & IMAX Wimbledon

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• LeoliansBro 14 Dec 2012 11:01:36 44,429 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Radagast is in it? Yeah!

Played by Sylvester McCoy with bird shit all down his face.

Yeah...

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• beastmaster 14 Dec 2012 11:37:02 11,453 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I did come in late so I may have missed the Star Trek preview. Was waiting for Ryze to show up.

Levels of enthusiasm? Yeah, that much is true. But something in me knew not to book it for the Friday/Sat/Sun type thing like I usually do for my most anticipated films.

Sylvester McCoy is brilliant in this. But I could happily never see this film again but will see the sequels.

If he does a shorter directors cut, I think that would be superb. The 'Non Studio Interference Cut'.

• cubbymoore 14 Dec 2012 13:38:46 36,497 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    If he does a shorter directors cut, I think that would be superb. The 'Non Studio Interference Cut'.
    Never in the history of film has there been a directors cut that's shorter.

Except for maybe The Killing Of A Chinese Bookie, but that was because the director didn't listen to the studio and it bombed on its initial release, so he re-edited it.
  • KingOfSpain 14 Dec 2012 13:44:53 5,187 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Isn't the Alien Directors cut shorter than the theatrical cut? I might be wrong but I'm sure I heard it somewhere.
  • RedSparrows 14 Dec 2012 13:45:05 22,914 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm not sure it's entirely the studio's fault that the book is being split into three.

I get the impression it's more 'The Hobbit-as-a-useful-hook-whilst-we-tell-the-story-of-Middle-Earth-in-its-entirety-during-that-period-right-down-to-Gandalf's-shoe-collection-and-wardrobe-thoughts.'
  • cubbymoore 14 Dec 2012 13:50:01 36,497 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    KingOfSpain wrote:
    Isn't the Alien Directors cut shorter than the theatrical cut? I might be wrong but I'm sure I heard it somewhere.
    It's about the same length with the little bits taken out and other previously dropped scenes put back in I think. Can't quite remember. Might be wrong.
  • LeoliansBro 14 Dec 2012 14:32:06 44,429 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    KingOfSpain wrote:
    Yeah it's a little bit shorter.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 14 December 2012 14:59:40
    RedSparrows wrote:
    I'm not sure it's entirely the studio's fault that the book is being split into three.

I get the impression it's more 'The Hobbit-as-a-useful-hook-whilst-we-tell-the-story-of-Middle-Earth-in-its-entirety-during-that-period-right-down-to-Gandalf's-shoe-collection-and-wardrobe-thoughts.'
    That coupled with them thinking their content is better than the source has me nonplussed. I cherish the Lord of the Rings and I will inevitably watch this but I just feel manipulated.
  • Deleted user 14 December 2012 14:59:58
    More so than usual.
  • RedSparrows 14 Dec 2012 15:10:36 22,914 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Most of it is Tolkien's content. Except Legolas gaybix, love interests, etc.

Hurrah.
  • ronuds 14 Dec 2012 16:10:12 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    To sum up, skip the first hour
    Technically, you could say this about Fellowship, where the first half of the film is them arsing about in Hobbiton and having a party, before eventually managing to get a shake on and race to Rivendell. Which pretty much mirrors The Hobbit actually!
    I liked that part. :(
  • Lukus 14 Dec 2012 16:11:13 19,152 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm pretty sure within the first couple of chapters in the book they've set off on their adventure.

Paintings & Photographs

• Page

of 52 First / Last