The Hobbit Page 2

• Page

of 52 First / Last

• rock27gr 20 Nov 2006 22:55:13 5,565 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I'd love to see David Lynch do it.

No, I think the most ideal director would be Quentin Tarantino!
    And he should be allowed creative freedom over the style/content of the movies! :)
  • wizbob 23 Nov 2006 14:38:21 777 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Some of Peter Jackson's movies are entertaining but I think he was really stretching his ability to the limit by the end of the rings trilogy. I hope they shoot in NZ again though because I can't imagine it anywhere else now. It will just look like Endor without the Ewoks if they make it in California.
  • pjmaybe 23 Nov 2006 14:39:56 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:

My hobbit barks some. Mentally you picture my hobbit, perhaps as one of the furry footed folk from "Lord of the Rings". But I'll tell you something, my hobbit is always with me! WUFF WUFF!"

I would pay 10 quid just to see a DL versh.

Peej
  • tincanrocket 23 Nov 2006 15:02:20 2,947 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    rock27gr wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:

No, I think the most ideal director would be Quentin Tarantino!
    And he should be allowed creative freedom over the style/content of the movies! :)

Samuel L Jackson as the voice of Golem: 'This is my motherf*cking precious and if another one of you f*cking vertically challenged motherf*ckers tries to take it I'll execute every last one of you....'

Nah, wouldn't work...

I'd say go for Jerry Bruckheimer, and see if you can get Arnie out of retirement to play Bilbo (using thos wicked shrinkage camera effects they used in that recent comedy about the crook who pretends to be a baby or something...)

Incidentally, I think I might have seen a low budget version of the other prequel on my last visit to the Netherlands - 'Lady of the Ring' - it was on one of the cable channels... 'Twas pretty good, although the plot was pretty weak...

Edited by tincanrocket at 15:06:11 23-11-2006
  • pjmaybe 23 Nov 2006 15:05:44 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just in case you're not in the "hate Peter Jackson" club this month, Brain Dead is on Film 4 tonight.

Peej
  • Feanor 23 Nov 2006 16:50:08 14,145 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Megapocalypse wrote:
    The Silmarillion would need to be a series if anything. Couldn't see it working a film at all.
    Exactly the same is/was true of LOTR, and yet they let Jackson butcher that.

Yes, the because scope of the Silmariilion is exactly like scope of The Lord of the Rings. Dear oh dear.

Hehe, butcher. I guess now we'll get to see what a Tolkien movie made in Hollywood by a Hollywood director looks like.

Edited by Feanor at 16:52:56 23-11-2006
  • Tricky 27 Nov 2006 09:13:29 4,374 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Update.

Looks like Jackson may be directing The Hobbit after all...
  • Dirtbox 27 Nov 2006 09:17:17 77,712 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What HAS he got in his motherfucking POCKETS?

Oh that Jackson. Right.

Eeeeeeeeheeeeeeeeee

/moonwalk

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• otto Moderator 28 May 2007 11:16:19 49,314 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Excellent news! :)

If they have to make a film of it, I'd rather they gave it to a decent director.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• otto Moderator 28 May 2007 11:16:19 49,314 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Megapocalypse wrote:
    Laserbream wrote:I doubt even Mr Jackson could pull off The Silmarillion though.
    The Silmarillion would need to be a series if anything. Couldn't see it working a film at all.
    Exactly the same is/was true of LOTR, and yet they let Jackson butcher that.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• spindizzy 18 Dec 2007 17:59:05 6,438 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yay! Jackson is directing after all.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7150644.stm

• cubbymoore 18 Dec 2007 18:01:23 36,485 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No he's not he's producing.
  • yupyup 18 Dec 2007 18:02:26 3,680 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    cough

A director for the films - prequels to the Rings movies - has yet to be named.

/cough

Hands Off Our Penises

• Feanor 18 Dec 2007 18:02:51 14,145 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I wonder where they will split the two movies up? I haven't read The Hobbit in so long I can't think where.
  • yupyup 18 Dec 2007 18:03:24 3,680 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    /curses cubby and toast

Hands Off Our Penises

• Killerbee 18 Dec 2007 18:03:32 5,016 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Producing rather than directing, but still... good to have him on board.

Mind you - twofilms?! LOTR was at least a bona fide trilogy but make two films out of one book sounds like they're cashing in a bit there.
  • spindizzy 18 Dec 2007 18:03:32 6,438 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    No he's not he's producing.

Pfff. Details, details. (Yeah fair enough - I was so excited I mis-read the story)

Wonder if anyone will get a quote form the New Line chairman who said it'd never happen - "Not on my watch" or something equally fatuous.
  • cubbymoore 18 Dec 2007 18:04:52 36,485 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    Wonder if anyone will get a quote form the New Line chairman who said it'd never happen - "Not on my watch" or something equally fatuous.
    That means he's been fired.
  • TakeTheVeil 18 Dec 2007 18:08:35 5,058 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pftt.. two films.. I'm not going to go see it now then. I felt like i had to go see the 2nd and 3rd LotRs films.. its was a chore in the end..i just wanted the story to end
  • Feanor 18 Dec 2007 18:12:41 14,145 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I hopt they are two 2 hour films. The Hobbit doesn't need to be six hours long.
  • matrim83 18 Dec 2007 18:19:34 5,587 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Feanor wrote:
    I wonder where they will split the two movies up? I haven't read The Hobbit in so long I can't think where.

I think the logical place would be where the dwarves get captured by the wood elves.

Sure it would be a bit late in the book but then the second movie could be about the dragon/battle. The first could be the more placid adventure.

Valar morghulis.

• Feanor 18 Dec 2007 18:25:50 14,145 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Time to start suggesting actors to play the roles? :)

I wonder what age they're going to have Bilbo be in the movie. They might make him a lot younger like they did for Frodo in the LotR films.

Andy Serkis will be back as Gollum, but getting the right voice for Smaug will be crucial.
  • Amajiro 18 Dec 2007 18:52:04 2,214 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Feanor wrote:
    Time to start suggesting actors to play the roles? :)

I wonder what age they're going to have Bilbo be in the movie. They might make him a lot younger like they did for Frodo in the LotR films.

Andy Serkis will be back as Gollum, but getting the right voice for Smaug will be crucial.

Not that the movie is particularly accurate, but in the books Bilbo is about the same age as Frodo is at the start of LOTR when he starts his own quest.

I'd be quite happy to see a new, young actor playing Bilbo. I didn't particularly like Ian Holm's version.

Bard and Thorin are the big roles in this one, not to mention the other dwarves. Casting them should be an interesting experience.

• [menace] 18 Dec 2007 18:53:37 2,415 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Peter Jacksons LoTR movies were crap anyway..
  • spindizzy 18 Dec 2007 21:36:58 6,438 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    [menace] wrote:
    Peter Jacksons LoTR movies were crap anyway..

I thought the books were unfilmable before I saw what he did with the Fellowship of the Ring. The Return of the King could have done with a lot of pruning, but to say those films were crap is ... well, utterly ridiculous. They're not perfect, but I think the job he did (given the source material) was staggering. Even if you only credit him with forcing them to be filmed back to back in NZ - that was a moment of genius.

I was at the Hobbiton set in NZ about three weeks ago, and I doubt there are many places in the world that could seem as perfect as that.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 19 Dec 2007 01:19:31 11,294 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really don't see that there needs to be two Hobbit films. I actually thought that the second film was going to be some kind of new stuff or something. If they split it in two, I'll be crossing my fingers tentatively...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• ecureuil 19 Dec 2007 01:24:40 76,728 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't see why there's SHOULDN'T be two films. It may seem like cashing in, but every single book-to-movie I've seen has been trimmed down massively. Every LotR movie was a massive 3+ hour epic, but you still could have split each movie in two and had material left over.

At least with two movies of the Hobbit you could potentially get two top class films that fully justify their source material, so I don't see that as necessarily a bad thing.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 19 Dec 2007 01:54:20 11,294 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Personally, I think that less is generally more. Hence, Return of the King was the worst flick in my book. I'd like to see them produce a great two to three hour flick and let that be that...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• otto Moderator 19 Dec 2007 03:47:28 49,314 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Haven't read the thread but I'm assuming the :( in the thread title was a typo, this can only be good news right?

Hey, wait a second, stealth bump? I've already posted here?? wtf

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Page

of 52 First / Last