The Hobbit Page 37

• Page

of 52 First / Last

• Fozzie_bear 30 Dec 2012 23:22:22 15,489 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mind you, I thought LotR was awful as well, so take my views with a pinch of salt if boring people talking bollocks in portentous tones for 3 hours has amused you in the past.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• FWB 30 Dec 2012 23:24:04 43,882 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I laughed out loud during the rock scene. Matrix style fight with dodgy puppets.
  • shamblemonkee 30 Dec 2012 23:27:42 14,287 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    25 per ticket? the fuck?
  • FWB 30 Dec 2012 23:28:47 43,882 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    17quid at the IMAX in 3D.
  • disusedgenius 30 Dec 2012 23:39:02 5,232 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Even those table-service cinemas are less than 20! Where on earth did you see it and, more to the point, if you hated LotR why did you blow that much on 'same but different with new and confusing tech'?!
  • mrpon 31 Dec 2012 01:29:46 28,503 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What a muppet!

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• GuiltySpark 31 Dec 2012 01:40:28 6,325 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The only major problem with this film (cutting out the 48fps bollocks, which remember, isn't a problem because you have a choice) is that it feels like a series of vignettes rather than a complete flowing narrative. The stone giants part in particular.

Does this ruin the film? No.

Get bent.

• Lukus 31 Dec 2012 02:55:49 19,007 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thing is, that's exactly what the book is like, so in that respect it's hard to fault it too much. But I take your point.

Paintings & Photographs

• GuiltySpark 31 Dec 2012 05:41:54 6,325 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There are also maybe slightly too many references to LOTR. When I mentioned that I wanted to watch LOTR in the run up to seeing The Hobbit, quite a few people couldn't understand why (because it's a prequel).

Well it turned out that I had the right idea, it may be a prequel but technically you're meant to see it after LOTR, and it shows in the film. This isn't a bad thing per se, but the problem you get is that LOTR is so much grander in its portrayal that anything similar is expected to top it, but this is a different type of film.

The LOTR connection both helps and hinders it, because without it you would never have had the pretty fucking awesome dwarf battle with the pale orc; but with the connection, you get a larger narrative that is so much bigger than what The Hobbit is showing, and it overshadows (I initially wrote "dwarfs it" but probably but not best use of the word in this context)it.

Edited by GuiltySpark at 05:42:40 31-12-2012

Get bent.

• Deleted user 31 December 2012 05:52:32
    Vaguely related, I'm attempting to properly read through LotR after trying and failing many times. God, I forgot how fucking boring it is. Coming up on page 200 or something and fuck all's happened, and it's done so at a glacially slow pace. I don't think tension had been invented when Tolkien sat down at his desk.

"This ring is evil and can destroy the world."
    "Okay. I'll hold onto it for seventeen years, meanwhile you casually drop in from time to time and tell me how dangerous it is."
    "Righto. Afterwards you need to very slowly walk across some grassland and a forest or two. Take your time, no rush. Stop to talk to people and eat mushrooms and maybe even sing a song or two, that always helps the time pass when you're bored."
  • GuiltySpark 31 Dec 2012 05:58:06 6,325 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The songs man, the songs...

I couldn't hack it as a child, I doubt I could now.

Get bent.

• Mola_Ram 31 Dec 2012 06:00:57 7,007 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I remember almost giving up during the Council of Elrond chapter. Talking about shit that has fuck-all to do with anything for however many pages. It's been a long time since I read it, so maybe it's not actually as long as I remember it being, but it certainly felt like a chore to read at the time.

Loved the LOTR movies though. And The Hobbit (the book; haven't seen the film yet, but plan to when I get back to a place that has movie theatres).
  • morriss 31 Dec 2012 09:11:34 70,911 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I like the book.

It's not a film.
  • TOOTR 31 Dec 2012 09:49:54 9,502 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    The songs man, the songs...

I couldn't hack it as a child, I doubt I could now.
    Glol

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• TOOTR 31 Dec 2012 09:50:20 9,502 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's what bilbo baggins hates!

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• mcmonkeyplc 31 Dec 2012 10:42:07 39,388 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Watched this last in HFR 3D.

7/10

The first hour was extreme padding. Everything up to the title screen, but I suppose he needed that to add on to the LoTR trilogyOnce it got going it was good. Just didn't have the same sense of epicness as LoTR but I suppose it's not meant to.

HFR made it look extremely smooth but the first 5 minutes I thought everything was going in fast forward. I obviously adjusted to it as I didn't notice after awhile.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• yegon 1 Jan 2013 20:51:59 5,177 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I want footy in HFR.
  • askew 1 Jan 2013 21:02:42 12,060 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's actually what those 120Hz/SuperSmooth modes on your telly are meant for!
  • kalel 2 Jan 2013 18:16:29 86,448 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Funny, but almost too true.
  • disusedgenius 2 Jan 2013 18:21:26 5,232 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nah.
  • captbirdseye 2 Jan 2013 18:49:29 4,787 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I see the Oscar review version of this has been leaked on public torrents.

Edited by captbirdseye at 18:50:28 02-01-2013
  • beastmaster 2 Jan 2013 19:46:29 11,203 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just watched it again for the second time in 3D IMAX HFR.

Last time I gave it a very generous 7/10. Now it is a normal 7/10.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• cubbymoore 2 Jan 2013 20:03:06 36,468 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I quite liked it. It is still rather indulgent to split it into 3 imo. I guess the only real argument for it is that by the end of the third one you might know all the dwarves names, unless you're like my friend who's seen it 3 times already.
  • beastmaster 2 Jan 2013 20:39:57 11,203 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There's something I need explaining here. More LOTR but also applies to this. Just clear this up for me once and for all. This has come about having just seen this film again.

About this eagles...There's some fucking shit about Frodo's journey and only he can do it. So any form of public transport is out? Totally? Isn't he on horseback for some of the film? What's the difference between that and an eagle? I do seem to recall they walked most of the way (if not all). Would the horse or eagle fucking die or something?

Also in this film. There is no fucking journey here. The eagles drop them off at the top if a big fucking mountain which is not the mountain they are after. Couldn't they have dropped them off on the ground? Or at their final destination?

Don't get me wrong I love the LOTR trilogy. Hobbit less so. But if someone else tells me it's Frodo's journey why he can't get on an eagle and not go into a tiny bit more detail I'm not buying it.

I have a journey I have to take every day. I could

a) walk
    b) take bus/train
    c) get in my car and not fuck around

Some people get really uppity when it comes to this subject. Let's assume that Frodo has to walk. What about in this film eh?

• thefilthandthefury 2 Jan 2013 21:20:05 24,954 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Without going into insane amounts of detail, the whole point of giving the ring to Frodo is that he's a Hobbit. Hobbits go unnoticed, nobody really gives a damn about them. They aren't considered important.

A great big eagle flying around would instantly be spotted and taken out of the picture.
  • beastmaster 2 Jan 2013 21:48:44 11,203 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That'll do fine. Thanks.

So, about that bit in The Hobbit...:-)

• disusedgenius 2 Jan 2013 21:51:43 5,232 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    A great big eagle flying around would instantly be spotted and taken out of the picture.
    Pretty much. All them flying Nazgul and whatnot. It's worth baring in mind that Sauron is actually corporeal in the book universe: If he'd been flown there Frodo would have just given Sauron the ring when he got dropped off.
  • disusedgenius 2 Jan 2013 21:54:13 5,232 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    So, about that bit in The Hobbit...:-)
    Ah, basically the Eagles are godly creatures who don't give that much of a fuck, but will help out if needs must.
  • cubbymoore 2 Jan 2013 21:58:31 36,468 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They are godly creatures that come in when the writer has written himself into a bit of a mess.
  • disusedgenius 2 Jan 2013 21:59:27 5,232 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes, that too.
  • Page

of 52 First / Last