Gears of Hypocrisy

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • MasterGrief 31 Oct 2006 23:12:02 97 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I find this recent hype for Gears of war funny especially since the main thing people seem to be talking abouut are the (admittedly good) graphics which seems to be all this game has going for it.

Whats really great though is that whenever a good looking PS3 game is shown i.e Resistance,Motorstorm I hear comments like nothing new, no innovation, same old FPS etc.

Someone tell me what Gears of War has going for it gameplay wise exactly ? When you strip away the shiny visuals all you have left is an average, corridor shooter. Hardly next gen now.
  • Lukus 31 Oct 2006 23:13:33 18,955 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You're probably gonna be right, but you say it like you know for sure. It's not even been reviewed anywhere yet has it?

Paintings & Photographs

• Lex_Luthor 31 Oct 2006 23:14:40 1,067 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You make a sort of fair point, but you're still a bit of a twat, so it's hard to take you seriously.
  • Deleted user 31 October 2006 23:15:06
    Yes everyone on here hates the PS3, it's true.

I'm beginning to be interested in this game, but not just coz it looks good. I'm starting to think there might be a decent action game in there actually. Put it this way, it's that or Rainbow 6 for me and Edge told me R6 was rubbish so I can't buy that anymore.

/doesn't really believe everything Edge tells him, or else he'd slavishly worship Zelda games and frankly they bore him
  • jozz 31 Oct 2006 23:15:35 4,871 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Better question:
    Blackdog\neon\furby\MasterGrief\yellowtruck\big_bad_blonde, seriously, how many socks do you need?!
  • Lukus 31 Oct 2006 23:16:49 18,955 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm pretty sure this game will be brilliant online, if not in single player.

Paintings & Photographs

• Derblington 31 Oct 2006 23:17:40 20,974 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    generica wrote:
    The only gameplay I've seen of this takes place outside and to be honest it looked pretty special. I haven't seen another game which makes use of cover so intelligently.

Look up Kill.Switch.

edit: Crazy!

Edited by Derblington at 23:18:37 31-10-2006
  • Deleted user 31 October 2006 23:18:09
    jozz wrote:
    Better question:
    Blackdog\neon\furby\MasterGrief\yellowtruck\big_bad_blonde, seriously, how many socks do you need?!
    How do people work out who people's socks are??
  • generica 31 Oct 2006 23:18:11 4,273 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MasterGrief wrote:
    Someone tell me what Gears of War has going for it gameplay wise exactly ? When you strip away the shiny visuals all you have left is an average, corridor shooter. Hardly next gen now.

The only gameplay I've seen of this takes place outside and to be honest it looked pretty special. I haven't seen another game which makes use of cover so intelligently.
  • generica 31 Oct 2006 23:18:16 4,273 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 31 October 2006 23:18:24
    Wasn't there a nice big thread that did rag on GoW for that exact thing a mere month or so back?

Or maybe that was an imaginary one in the world inside my head where not everyone is a rabid fanboy. :)
  • Deleted user 31 October 2006 23:20:02
    Terminator wrote:
    MasterGrief wrote:

A game inspired by Res 4 combat, that what excites me.
    How can a game inspired by Res 4 combat excite you? Res 4 as a whole package was superb but if you look at the combat element alone (run away from baddies, turn around, aim and fire at baddies, run away from baddies, turn around, aim and fire at baddies) was shit.

How exactly is this based on the Res 4 combat???

/rethinks potential pre-order
  • T.G. 31 Oct 2006 23:23:03 5,989 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sorry for the off-topic comment here, but can someone confirm for me that MasterGrief is in fact blackdog. That would explain sooo much...
  • generica 31 Oct 2006 23:23:18 4,273 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    generica wrote:

Look up Kill.Switch.

Ok, so now I have seen another game but this looks like the first game to do it well.
  • Lex_Luthor 31 Oct 2006 23:26:41 1,067 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Truk wrote:
    Did anyone else read the username as MasterThief and then get utterly confused by the post?

I was just typing: "I like your style." when I double checked the name before hitting submit as it happens :)

Haven't seen this clown around in a while after all.
  • GingerMagician 31 Oct 2006 23:32:29 3,011 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MasterGrief wrote:
    Someone tell me what Gears of War has going for it gameplay wise exactly
    Have you played it then bell-end? No, didn't think so.

What an idiotic comment - words fail me, they really do.
  • Ecanem 31 Oct 2006 23:34:52 5,035 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GingerMagician wrote:
    MasterGrief wrote:
    Someone tell me what Gears of War has going for it gameplay wise exactly
    Have you played it then bell-end? No, didn't think so.

What an idiotic comment - words fail me, they really do.

To be fair they have released a (very) short gameplay movie.. and upon seeing it I was thinking that it might get a bit samey after a while.. - however if its fun then samey is all good..
  • BartonFink 31 Oct 2006 23:37:46 34,779 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh what a complete tard.
    MasterBore would be more apt.

We get it already you think Gears of War is going to be a borefest. blah blah blah. Good fucking grief as Truk said in an earlier thread don't buy the fucking thing then you retard.

Edited by BartonFink at 23:38:40 31-10-2006
  • Deleted user 31 October 2006 23:38:52
    Terminator wrote:
    Owen-B wrote:
    Terminator wrote:
    MasterGrief wrote:

A game inspired by Res 4 combat, that what excites me.
    How can a game inspired by Res 4 combat excite you? Res 4 as a whole package was superb but if you look at the combat element alone (run away from baddies, turn around, aim and fire at baddies, run away from baddies, turn around, aim and fire at baddies) was shit.

How exactly is this based on the Res 4 combat???

/rethinks potential pre-order

Mainly over the shoulder view when shooting, I mean, obviously not exactly the same that's why I said inspired by.
    As in a view for just moving about and a different view when shooting, only taking to the next level.

And Res 4 combat was great in all respects for me, for that type of game.
    Oh yeah, don't get me wrong - the game was amazing, motherfuckin' game of the motherfuckin' year as far as I'm concerned - but I didn't think the combat lent anything of itself to an action game like GoW but I sort of see what you mean now. Sort of. You could also say it's GRAW inspired, for that matter. Much better analogy (although worryingly one that everyone is making, but I suspect it's just the presentation they're comparing, coz GRAW kinda bored me).
  • BartonFink 31 Oct 2006 23:40:08 34,779 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Somebody get peterfll in here please.
  • jozz 31 Oct 2006 23:41:34 4,871 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    How do people work out who people's socks are??
    He mentioned that he was both neon and Mastergrief in the batphone as furby a while ago. The other two share the similarities too i.e. incessant bumping, unrelenting brand loyalty and rather unnerving wierdness.

My gifts are so wasted on here :(
    It's all in the posting style though.
  • style 31 Oct 2006 23:47:05 416 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    jozz wrote:
    Better question:
    You forgot to add Foxclose, who's doing a roaring trade in the PS3 80,000 Japanese units comment threads.

:-D
  • BartonFink 31 Oct 2006 23:52:05 34,779 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aye that was very funny today, pwnd at every turn.
  • Yossarian 1 Nov 2006 00:01:03 8,401 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    okay when Gears of War lands and turns out to be pretty great and fun and everything else can I please please please get to say that I believed in it all along?
  • style 1 Nov 2006 00:05:55 416 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    Personally, I don't get this "It's just another 3rd person shooter" argument. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Max Payne was fun in 2002, why can't Gears of War be fun in 2006? Not that they're comparable games or anything. I'm just struggling to think of too many remotely decent 3rd person shooters. My overriding point though is, how come these lofty expectations suddenly develop every 'new' gen, where everyone expects every game to reinvent the wheel? Gears of War may not exactly be innovative or cerebral, but damn, it looks to be the best 3rd person shooter that I've ever seen. It looks fun. Is that not enough???

Edited by style at 00:06:16 01-11-2006
  • BartonFink 1 Nov 2006 00:07:12 34,779 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yossarian wrote:
    okay when Gears of War lands and turns out to be pretty great and fun and everything else can I please please please get to say that I believed in it all along?
    Apparently not it's crap because it's all been done before etc blah blah blah or so we are being led to believe.

Edited by BartonFink at 00:07:38 01-11-2006
  • ecureuil 1 Nov 2006 00:19:40 76,026 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Resistance sounds pretty average judging by Edge's preview. It has 7/10 written all over it.
  • Yossarian 1 Nov 2006 00:23:00 8,401 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Famitsu gave Resistance 9/8/8/8, which is what they gave the original Halo I believe (but less than they gave Halo 2). but what does Famitsu know about Western shooters? US OPM gave it a 9, but how can we trust that?

I'm pretty sure Resistance is great, but pretty much a very attractive standard FPS

Gears is, for those who have actually paid more than a modicum of attention beyond the GRITTY SPACE MARINE GORE media onslaught, a little more interesting. hopefully.
  • ecureuil 1 Nov 2006 00:29:30 76,026 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Terminator wrote:
    I'm pretty sure there isn't a lot of jumping done in gun battles.

You mean soldiers don't really bunny hop and circle-strafe jump around enemies?
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous