Wisdom teeth

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous
  • Syrette 24 Oct 2006 16:32:26 44,225 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Got one coming through I think. Hurts a great deal. Any remedies?

Edited by foreverafternothing at 16:32:21 24-10-2006

• Goban 24 Oct 2006 16:33:18 9,107 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Whisky worked for me :)
  • espadachin 24 Oct 2006 16:33:44 2,210 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    a needle full of heroin into the left testicle should do the trick :)
    or ibuprofen?
  • Blerk Moderator 24 Oct 2006 16:34:18 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Have them removed.
  • tourlord 24 Oct 2006 16:34:40 2,600 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    Get someone to kick you hard in the balls.
  • [maven] 24 Oct 2006 16:34:51 5,187 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dentist.
  • tourlord 24 Oct 2006 16:35:41 2,600 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fuck the dentist, do it yourself.
  • glaeken 24 Oct 2006 16:35:48 11,266 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah ibuprofen is good for tooth pain.

Probably worth going to the dentist as well as personally I don't remember having much pain with wisdom teeth and I have 4. I do remember hearing that sometimes wisdom teeth can come up beneath one of your back teeth though which can be painful so maybe worth getting it checked out.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 24 Oct 2006 16:36:18 39,762 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    [maven] wrote:
    Dentist.
    Woah now, let's not be doing anything hasty!

Edited by DDevil at 16:36:14 24-10-2006

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Syrette 24 Oct 2006 16:38:42 44,225 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Taken Ibuprofen the last few days, it helps for a bit.

As for a dentist, I don't have one up here while I'm at uni. Will ride it out up here for a bit and then hopefully see what it's like when I go back home (where I do have a dentist) at Christmas.

glaeken wrote:
    I do remember hearing that sometimes wisdom teeth can come up beneath one of your back teeth though which can be painful so maybe worth getting it checked out.
    Think thats whats happening with me.

• tourlord 24 Oct 2006 16:39:03 2,600 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    I do remember hearing that sometimes wisdom teeth can come up beneath one of your back teeth though which can be painful so maybe worth getting it checked out.

Mmhmm... Impacted - which is what 3 of mine are, and it hurt like a bitch when they first came through. I'm having them out in a few months (got a consultation at the hospital first in a couple of weeks), and as much as the surgery is going to be fucking horrible, I know it will be a relief to not have the occasional headaches and slightly fucked-up teeth as a result of the wonky lumps of tooth that are sowly forcing their way into my mouth.
  • markh 24 Oct 2006 16:39:22 3,598 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mine hurt on and off for years when they slowly came through the gums, problem was that they were growing so slowly so the gum would heal over, then you'd bite down on something and it would hurt so much! my advice is to just put up with it and stop being such a wuss :p or get someone to bowl a bowling ball at your teeth..
  • mad_caddy 24 Oct 2006 16:39:57 3,306 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    get to a dentist and get them removed. I've had nothing but trouble with mine and since moving I can't get into a dentist round by me, all the NHS ones are full and i have to wait for it to become an emergency for them to be removed. bastards.
  • Syrette 24 Oct 2006 16:40:46 44,225 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    markh wrote:
    mine hurt on and off for years when they slowly came through the gums, problem was that they were growing so slowly so the gum would heal over, then you'd bite down on something and it would hurt so much! my advice is to just put up with it and stop being such a wuss :p or get someone to bowl a bowling ball at your teeth..
    Hahaha I am trying to put up with it!

Just asking here for any temporary remedies (like particular drinks etc) were any good for dulling the pain etc.

• markh 24 Oct 2006 16:43:14 3,598 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    i think it'll have to be a mashed potato diet then! no risk of biting on anything hard that way!
  • DocX 24 Oct 2006 16:45:09 1,963 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Clove oil - there's some tooth gel you can get from the chemists with it in. Burns like hell for a few seconds but then kills the pain nicely.
  • Syrette 24 Oct 2006 16:45:29 44,225 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah might hire Simon Bodger as my chef then.

• Fonzie 24 Oct 2006 16:47:34 1,873 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    When mine came through on my bottom jaw, they pushed all the other teeth forward as my jaw was to small. Had to have them surgically removed. The pain before that was awful.
  • Jeepers 24 Oct 2006 16:54:23 13,315 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Best thing I found was gargling with hot water + salt when it flared up (to reduce the swelling and get rid of infection). Occasionally, I'd throw caution to the wind and add TCP to that mix (there is nothing that TCP can't cure).

But I second the advice here: when you get home, get the bastards taken out. I've had two removed so far, and four hours discomfort* is better than 18 months of flare-ups-that-last-five-days-and-cause-searing-pain.

On a related note: if anyone even has to have root canal work done and is worried, don't be. I've had three of the bastards done in the last year and they've all been a walk in the park. No worse than a regular filling.

* Well, four hours discomfort and the joy of swallowing three day old blood clots every now and again. Blood: strangely salty...
  • PES_Fanboy 24 Oct 2006 16:58:13 18,974 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Take one paracetamol and one aspirin tablet, together they are far more suited to combat toothache.
  • tourlord 24 Oct 2006 16:59:04 2,600 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    I remember my brother having his taken out and having to syringe the 'sockets' with salt water every day to prevent infection.

I think that's the bit I'm looking forward to the most.
  • haowan 24 Oct 2006 17:00:26 7,385 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have no wisdom to impart at this juncture.
  • glaeken 24 Oct 2006 17:07:55 11,266 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I had a wisdom tooth out last year and it was very painless tbh.

They put me under for it and I just woke up about 30 minutes later with a slightly sore gum. No special treatment afterwards either apart from gargling with salt water for a couple of days.
  • Toonster 24 Oct 2006 17:17:45 6,845 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My third wisdom tooth is growing in now and I don't feel any pain. It irritates my gums a little though.

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• Feanor 21 Feb 2008 18:21:56 14,185 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ouch. :(

My bottom right wisdom tooth broke in half one day when I was eating lollies, and I didn't get it looked at till a year or so later when it was infected. My regular dentist had two attempts at removing it, but it hurt too much and she couldn't get a decent grip.

Luckily, I was a poor student at the time and qualified to have the dentist at the local hospital in New Zealand cut the gum and yank it out for free. A private oral surgeon would have charged me a ton.

My top right wisdom tooth will have to come out eventually because with no tooth underneath it's growing down too low. I might get the the other two done at the same time, preferably while I'm fully sedated.
  • ElNuevo9 21 Feb 2008 18:50:46 13,601 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ToonMonkey wrote:
    ** BUMP **
    What are the best painkillers for this as recommended by the EG forum pharmacy division?

Co- Codamol is an effectve pain killer, helped me when one of my wisdom teeth came through.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• angeltreats 14 Apr 2008 16:52:52 2,601 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I broke one of my bottom wisdom teeth this morning and went to see the dentist this afternoon. He says it's got to come out and is sending me to hospital. I think this means I have to have general anaesthetic.

Really not a happy bunny at all :(

Especially as around the time I'll probably get an appointment is also around the time of my exams. Added stress that I really don't need.
  • MetalDog 14 Apr 2008 16:55:47 23,920 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You could ask him to do it under a local himself. I had three out with novocaine and while it wasn't the most comfortable thing I've ever done, I didn't get the 'chipmonk punched in the face' look people under general tend to get for wisdom teeth removal.

There may be a reason he thinks the hospital should handle it, but you can always ask and give him puppy eyes, just in case.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• angeltreats 14 Apr 2008 17:02:37 2,601 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I give him puppy eyes anyway cos he's lovely and I *heart* him. Sad but true.

It's got to be the hospital apparently because of the way it broke, it would be too difficult to get a good enough grip of it to pull it out and it would most likely break further. I don't like the sound of having stitches though and last time I had a tooth out under general (years and years ago as a kid) I woke up and was very sick, supposedly from having swallowed blood, and I'm worried that might happen again. Being sick is not something I handle very well...

I did have another wisdom tooth out under local, and it wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be. It was flipping HUGE too when they showed it to me.
  • mwtb 14 Apr 2008 19:23:07 2,381 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Get them all done while you're under, unless you're fond of them for some reason and if you can persuade the consultant. I had all mine out a few years back. It wasn't really that bad. An overnight in hospital and a couple of days off work feeling pretty much okay (the consultant told me to take a full week, but I got bored).

I couldn't eat anything that needed chewing for a week though. That wasn't much fun.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous