Amazon delivery - gone to the dogs? Page 35

• Page

of 38 First / Last

• Zero_g 14 Nov 2017 11:23:54 129 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I order a microSD card last through amazon with free next day delivery as an Amazon Prime member (on one month trial). The following day I received the dispatch note and an email saying that the package was out for delivery later in the day.
    I received an email at midday to see that the package had been put in the mailbox.
    However, no sign of it that evening when I got home. No one else had been home and none of my neighbours had received the package.
    Speak to customer services to let them know. They advised that theyíd noted the issue and to give them 24hrs to carry out an investigation (and potentially for the item to appear). 24 hours later no card so I spoke to them again. They replaced the order and extended my Prime trial for a month by way of an apology.
    Following day (Saturday) I received notification that the replacement package was out for delivery. I was away over the weekend and received an email that their delivery driver had been unable to locate my address. Via my account I provided details of how to get to my house. Package was then delivered and waiting in my mailbox when I got home on Sunday evening!
    Only thing is there was another package from Amazon in my mail box last night and I now have a second memory card.
    I spoke to Amazon to return the additional card but the customer services agent wasnít helpful (in this instance, all others were very helpful) and she spent more time talking about my refund (which Iím not due as it was a replacement item) to the point that I sorted it out online when I was on hold with her.
    Iíll now drop it off locally for collection tonight and wait to see if they erroneously reimburse me.

All in all the delivery wasnít smooth but customer services were almost uniformly helpful.
  • nudistpete 14 Nov 2017 11:32:38 174 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    SiroccoJetProp wrote:
    I think a lot of it has to do with the pressure the drivers are under. They're having to do far too much.
    Yep, and now with Amazon Flex they're getting members of the public to deliver stuff in their spare time, very much like Hermes seem to work, which I'm sure means they can keep their main driver's wages low. We've had Amazon parcels turn up at 9pm at night delivered by random punters in their cars.
  • Psychotext 14 Nov 2017 11:41:27 62,167 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My bigger problem with Amazon of late is returns. I hardly ever get free returns any more, and quite often I'm forced into using a return method that I don't want to.

The latest is this pass my parcel thing. Just... why? I was perfectly happy with Royal Mail or Collect+, so why not let me select those as options?
  • nudistpete 14 Nov 2017 11:46:37 174 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    My missus always manipulates the reason for return so she can find a free variant.

Also if you chat to their staff on the phone, you can request collect+. I did this with a faulty item they wanted me to send & then be reimbursed for - I just asked for collect+ and the fellah on the phone rolled over immediately.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 Nov 2017 12:00:43 2,118 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Second only to "improve their own delivery service", the big thing I'd want to see from Amazon is a choice of delivery options. There is a very clear hierarchy of delivery companies; the more reliable and customer-friendly ones cost more. I'd dearly love the option of being able to pay for FedEx/UPS (expensive but very good) or DPD (moderately pricey and decent) on orders which are either high-value or time-critical.

This used to be an option, until Amazon Logistics came into being. They really need to go back to it. If that means that Amazon Logistics loses the critical mass needed to be a viable delivery organisation, then that in itself should tell them something.
  • The_Goon 14 Nov 2017 12:28:52 626 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Be careful of manipulating reasons for returns and returning lots of items. I don't know anyone personally but have read of people being banned for returning "too many" items. Sounds very dodgy from Amazon's end, as they don't appear to give rhyme nor reason as to why they've banned individuals.
  • atothewest 14 Nov 2017 13:34:37 859 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Maybe if they'd stop spending all of those Prime subs on crap TV shows in a futile attempt to compete with Netflix and instead invest in decent delivery infrastructure, I might go back to using them more.
    10000% this. Amazon have become so blinkered on being this all-conquering tech-media giant that they've lost (or are certainly losing very quickly) sight of their core business which got them where they are today in the first place.

It's not just the delivery which seems to be getting worse, the store itself is now absolutely littered with bullshit fake/poor quality products and wall-to-wall bullshit reviews. Feels like it's approaching the equivalent of the video games crash where the trust in quality completely dies. But I guess they're too big to fail now.

Their AWS offering is still very good at least.
  • superbob85 14 Nov 2017 13:37:06 8,201 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Why is it only Amazon who thinks it's ok to leave packages outside under a bloody doormat.
  • atothewest 14 Nov 2017 13:39:27 859 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have to say though, we're all somewhat complicit in this by wanting free delivery and super-fast delivery times and the cheapest prices on all the products and zero compromise. Something's gotta give somewhere.

What there should be is an option to pay a bit extra to guarantee a reputable courier though, like Roguey said.
  • nudistpete 14 Nov 2017 13:44:46 174 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    superbob85 wrote:
    Why is it only Amazon who thinks it's ok to leave packages outside under a bloody doormat.
    In my case they wheeled my wheely bin from the side of the house to the front door and placed the box (I forgot what we ordered, but the box was about 45 cm long, 35cm high, so it was pretty conspicuous) on top of it and left it like that. I'm absolutely amazed it didn't get nicked.
  • Spectral 16 Nov 2017 21:50:22 5,728 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    atothewest wrote:
    I have to say though, we're all somewhat complicit in this by wanting free delivery and super-fast delivery times and the cheapest prices on all the products and zero compromise. Something's gotta give somewhere.

What there should be is an option to pay a bit extra to guarantee a reputable courier though, like Roguey said.
    Its not free super fast delivery though is it. Free delivery is 3-5 days. It's Prime that is fast but that is a paid for service not free.
  • superbob85 16 Nov 2017 21:57:39 8,201 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The shocking Amazon delivery stories could go on.
  • Psychotext 16 Nov 2017 23:03:55 62,167 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Prime seems to be rarely that fast these days. Ordered something yesterday that's in stock... yet wont be at my house until Monday (it's a book, for what it's worth).
  • Spectral 16 Nov 2017 23:19:33 5,728 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Prime seems to be rarely that fast these days. Ordered something yesterday that's in stock... yet wont be at my house until Monday (it's a book, for what it's worth).
    Yeah a lot of stuff isn't next day anymore, although it does usually tell you what day it will be. I think it depends on which warehouse its coming from.
  • freddymercurystwin 17 Nov 2017 01:06:42 1,266 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Prime is only next day on eligible item's, free for everything. If you guys don't like it why are you paying for it? It's an easy contract to get out of so what gives?
  • Psychotext 17 Nov 2017 01:09:05 62,167 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You realise that you can not think something is perfect and yet still think it's worth what you're paying for it right?

This isn't console wars. It's possible to criticise a service you're receiving but believe it has value overall.
  • up_the_ante 17 Nov 2017 02:46:20 383 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I ordered a book from Amazon and I got a message saying it had been delivered. Nothing had arrived so I went to the Post Office believing they'd lost it but they had no record of it. So I take the hit and order it again and a month later it's not arrived. I email customer services and to their credit one arrived the next day. But what happened to the first 2? Did they vanish into thin air or are they still sitting on a shelf somewhere?
  • mal 17 Nov 2017 04:30:41 28,662 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Sure it was sent through the post office? Most stuff from Amazon these days seems to come from some random man and his car these days - I think the service is known as amazon logistics. Only stuff coming in from china seems to end up coming in the post.
  • Dougs 17 Nov 2017 08:17:53 83,939 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    up_the_ante wrote:
    I ordered a book from Amazon and I got a message saying it had been delivered. Nothing had arrived so I went to the Post Office believing they'd lost it but they had no record of it. So I take the hit and order it again and a month later it's not arrived. I email customer services and to their credit one arrived the next day. But what happened to the first 2? Did they vanish into thin air or are they still sitting on a shelf somewhere?
    Why did you buy another and not report it as undelivered the first time?

Tbh, I've rarely had issues with delivery here. Most stuff is DPD, Royal Mail or Hermes (courier is the same all the time). I usually try to order stuff when I know I'm going to be in though.
  • TheSaint 17 Nov 2017 08:25:45 17,434 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The lockers are great if you donít want to wait in. I often get stuff delivered to the local one just to be on the safe side if Iím not 100% Iíll be in all day.
  • freddymercurystwin 17 Nov 2017 09:52:38 1,266 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    The lockers are great if you donít want to wait in. I often get stuff delivered to the local one just to be on the safe side if Iím not 100% Iíll be in all day.
    I imagine it's far harder for a courier to cock up (ie not bother, throw it over the fence, drop off at a neighbour and not bother leaving a card etc etc) delivering to the lockers?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 17 Nov 2017 09:57:39 2,118 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Also, while not a delivery issue, this year's Black Friday sale is the poo-est yet. They're not even bothering to hide that most of it is just shifting old stock of poor-quality, off-brand goods.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 17 Nov 2017 10:15:38 6,942 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The run up to BF always is tat shifting. The day itself should see decent-ish deals.
  • y2rich 17 Nov 2017 10:25:19 3,165 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aye Black Friday isnít until next week and they usually have a few decent offers if youíre paying attention. Whether any of it actually turns up is another matter though

Edited by y2rich at 10:25:42 17-11-2017
  • Psychotext 27 Nov 2017 00:26:22 62,167 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Three days in a row I've had an "out for delivery" notification. Three days in a row the item hasn't actually been delivered.

I'd say Black Friday broke them.
  • The_Goon 29 Nov 2017 22:12:17 626 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago

Ordered Bulletstorm from Amazon (not a third party seller). Wtf?
  • superbob85 29 Nov 2017 22:19:41 8,201 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I only use Amazon because it's convenient the delivery has been going downhill for a while.
  • mal 29 Nov 2017 23:50:03 28,662 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    I'd say Black Friday broke them.
    I'd say so. Ordered an airfryer off them on Saturday, they charged me, said it was out for delivery, then SFA turned up. Today, they phoned. They've run out of that particular item, could I cancel and repurchase - only complication is that particular airfryer is now three times what the offer price was? So no, my order's fine thank you. Spent far to much of the afternoon on the phone to them, and actually I've ended up with a slightly better airfryer for the old offer price, after a bit of price manipulation by their side. Now just got to wait and see if anything turns up.
  • Psychotext 29 Nov 2017 23:55:24 62,167 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The_Goon wrote:
    Ordered Bulletstorm from Amazon (not a third party seller). Wtf?
    Win.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 30 Nov 2017 06:22:57 1,383 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Ordered some boxes. They said they were delivered. I checked the delivery tracking information and they were apparently delivered to somewhere in another county by yodel.

Muppets.
  • Page

of 38 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.