Travelling... Page 5

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• Gartt 19 Aug 2010 11:55:42 1,791 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thats awesome, Ive known a couple of people who have gone out there for work and have really enjoyed it. One in Shanghai and one in Beijing, takes some adjusting though.

cjb: I was only away for 3 months as I couldnt afford any longer. But as soon as I got back I was already planning a year long round the world trip in my head. I really want to go to South America. :)

Edit: Random aside, I was in Bangkok during the first lot of Red Shirt Riots last year.
  • cjb_bjc 24 Aug 2010 10:09:15 1,126 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Last day of work! 13 days to go! The excitement is slowly rising!!
  • Deleted user 24 August 2010 11:54:37
    That is exciting.

In other news, I've just been offered that job above. Still need to scrutinise the financials obv so haven't made a decision yet.
  • kalel 24 Aug 2010 11:55:37 88,470 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm on secondment in Dubai at the moment.

It's shit.
  • Gartt 24 Aug 2010 12:49:15 1,791 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    cozeny wrote:
    That is exciting.

In other news, I've just been offered that job above. Still need to scrutinise the financials obv so haven't made a decision yet.

If its all above board and legit then go for it! Itll be a hell of an experience whatever happens.
  • Deleted user 24 August 2010 12:51:41
    Yeah, it's definitely all above board/legit. Just a big commitment and lifestyle change etc. Nothing's ever simple eh.
  • DaM 24 Aug 2010 12:54:40 13,338 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    cozeny wrote:
    That is exciting.

Ace! Where abouts in China? At least your bike will come in handy.
  • DaM 24 Aug 2010 12:55:56 13,338 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd move to China if I was young free and single, I'd start a business sourcing goods for Western companies/checking out factories and stuff.
  • Deleted user 24 August 2010 12:56:01
    The position was in Beijing but I'd be spending the first 8-12 months in Hong Kong so it wouldn't be too large a culture shock initially. Nothing to lose really, no mortgage, no kids etc. We'll see.
  • cjb_bjc 24 Aug 2010 13:22:27 1,126 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So long as you can survive on what they are offering... and you don't mind losing what you've got at the moment... a little gap year working holiday break in HK/China sounds frickin awesome! So long as they pay you enough!! Its all about the Benjamins!!
  • Deleted user 24 August 2010 14:45:19
    Ha, well yeah it'd be a bit longer than a gap year working holiday... but as I say there's nothing doing for me here right now and there's lots of opportunities out there so.

Don't think there's much cycling to be had in HK, sadly; maybe I'll get a fixie commuter, though I hear the roads aren't the best for cycling.
  • Kujata 24 Aug 2010 18:20:09 2,279 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Noticed (or rather was pointed toward) the amount of traveling in China chat going on here and thought I'd ask for some advice.

I have a 3 week holiday all booked and sorted for October this year. Went for this time as it seemed the weather would be fairly moderate, and more importantly it was a time that I could get more than 2 weeks off at once.

What I didn't realise at the time was that October 1st 'National Day of the People's Republic of China' isn't a day, but a week. This means I am going to be in Hong Kong during this national holiday.

It is too late to change the holiday now, so I'm just going to have to put up with whatever is thrown at me. But do you guys have any advice for being there during this probably hectic week?
  • Gartt 25 Aug 2010 10:30:27 1,791 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Double edged sword I think. Its going to be absolutely rammed with people coming over from the mainland, which I imagine is going to make the already busy subway system a living hell. On the other hand there should be alot going on events-wise which wouldnt be normally.

Be thankful you arent on the mainland during it as the entire country would pretty much shut down for the whole week.

Cozeny, who needs a bike when you have this to commute on!
  • Kujata 26 Aug 2010 17:57:15 2,279 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks for the reply. Sounds like I may have to avoid the subway, is that possible to do? I'll have to have a look and see if any particularly interesting events are taking place. If I've got to be there when it's busy I might as well get the benefits too!
  • cjb_bjc 14 Sep 2010 10:43:52 1,126 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wooo im in China thought id let all you forumites know! Its been one week today and we are in a little towniquitelargej called Suzhou! Moving onto Shanghai tomorrow. Kujata as for travel starting the 1st of October yes it will be completely manic. Iv found the train journeys to be fine and all the people seem to be really friendly. As for getting a decent ticket anywhere might be a struggle but either way im sure it'l be an expereience.

• Deleted user 14 September 2010 10:46:13
    nice! eaten anything unusual yet? ;)

update on my sitch: I was offered the job (terms letter tabled and everything) then they withdrew it citing some spurious reason. bah. better off out of it anyway if that's how they treat ppl, very unprofessional
  • Gartt 14 Sep 2010 12:28:09 1,791 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Keep us updated cjb. Howre you finding the country? You got a blog?

Coz: that sucks mate but like you say you probably are better off out of it.
  • cjb_bjc 17 Sep 2010 06:56:10 1,126 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    EAten anything unusual. Does fried scorpion count? It wasn't good. Just like pork scratchings really. As for a blog no. ITs an idea tho... havent really had a chance to research it to be honest. Update on the travels. We are off to Xi'an on sunday.... once again couldn't get a sleeper ticket so another 16 hours on a hard seat! Train tickets work funny over here. You need to book your ticket from the train station in question. New tickets come on sale every 10 days so you usually can get the best seats for later dates... if you want to travel quickly between places then your gonna be out of luck. Unless you know someone in the city that could get you one. Shanghai doesn't feel much like china... just london with a hell of a lot more china town round the edges. Not too much to see either but the Bund is sweet at night with a few bevvies!!
  • Tonka 17 Sep 2010 07:08:49 20,825 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You can also buy train tickets in big hotels. But you still need to plan ahead.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• twelveways 17 Sep 2010 07:16:47 4,069 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I live in China! Definately an interesting place to live, if you manage to live in a good place and you are the kind of person who can adapt easily, loads of people cant adapt and end up hating it.

Not sure I would recommend it as a place to come on holiday (unless you are really interested in Chinese culture or something) but loads of people do and they usually seem to enjoy it.

Xian disappointed me, I live in Wuhan and I honestly think that it is one of the best cities in China, ancient meets modern, loads of interesting little alleyways and street food and stuff next to massive skyscrapers.

Kunming and Qingdao are nice places too, Kunming has great weather all year round, they call it the city of eternal spring, Qingdao has beaches, mountains and great western food.
  • Gartt 17 Sep 2010 10:34:49 1,791 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    cj: have your hostels not been able to get your train tickets for you? The only hostel that couldnt get tickets for us was the YHA in Xi'an. Everywhere else could, my hostel in Chengdu even managed to order a plane ticket to Lijiang for me.
    If you do find yourself in Chengdu at somepoint I recommend Sims Cozy Garden Hostel, lovely place.

Was the scorpion in a Beijing food market by anychance? :)

• cjb_bjc 26 Sep 2010 05:23:26 1,126 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    A few have said they cannot. We have managed so far. Just so happens im in Chengdu at the moment. Not at Sims tho. Just come back from seeing some Pandas! Not a bad start to the day. Yes the scorpion was Beijing street food! lol. Had our first sleeper train down here... soooo much better than a hard seat. I actually slept for more than 20 minutes for once. The next few weeks will be an adventure. We are going to make our way down to Lijang through lots of remote little places, visit lugu lake and maybe a few national parks then trek through the tiger leaping gorge!
  • cjb_bjc 9 Oct 2010 09:50:44 1,126 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh how I love all this rain!
  • Gartt 22 Oct 2010 18:34:59 1,791 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Where are you now? :D
  • cjb_bjc 15 Nov 2010 09:26:23 1,126 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hello all. Its been a while。 Just got back from the Philippines last night. What a place! The towns are a shambles but the beaches really do make up for it! Maybe! I havent quite decided yet. So back in Hong Kong for a few days before heading to Oz. I cant believe its been 2 months already. For anyone reading this who wants to go travelling. Just do it... its incredible! Just bumped into someone i met in China while leaving the hostel earlier. What a small place this world is!!
  • InfiniteFury 15 Nov 2010 09:34:46 864 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you're following a well-worn route, this will happen quite a bit and is one of the biggest joys of travelling. Nothing better than meeting up in a new place with a new friend you'd said goodbye to - then hitting the bar.
  • gareth886 15 Nov 2010 10:16:35 2,841 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Enjoy yourself. I'm still on my trip. Had the the most incredible 8 months traveling and working in Asia. I'm in Australia now and, if I'm honest, its bland in comparison to the complete and utter brilliance of Asia.

Don't get me wrong, its a nice place but it all seems a little normal.
  • gareth886 15 Nov 2010 10:16:59 2,841 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Enjoy yourself. I'm still on my trip. Had the the most incredible 8 months traveling and working in Asia. I'm in Australia now and, if I'm honest, its bland in comparison to the complete and utter brilliance of Asia.

• johnlenham 15 Nov 2010 13:06:41 4,000 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    gareth886 wrote:

This is what I thought it would be liek if I went there traveling as it so "western" its not like youve truely left for somewhere diffrent where as Asia is well.. Asia

Two months give or take till im off to India!
  • cjb_bjc 26 Nov 2010 02:45:51 1,126 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm going to have to say something about this constant Australia bashing. Been here just over a week now coming from Asia an I have to say it's like nothing iv seen before. Just because everyone speaks the language doesn't make it the same as back home. Maybe it's because iv been in the outback for the last 3 days but this place is definetly it's own.
  • Page

of 10 First / Last