Amazon Kindle Page 64

• Page

of 70 First / Last

• yegon 1 Jan 2013 20:50:11 4,887 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Touchscreen showed its weakness yesterday when I was waiting for a bus in the freezing cold and couldn't turn the page with my gloves on. It is a concern, especially as I do a lot of my reading while walking but hopefully this damn place will heat up and I can take my gloves off.
    Get some of those touchscreen gloves, they work. Like other e-ink readers, I notice it's a little more sluggish in cold weather.

You're right, you can't actually switch the backlight off completely.

I bought the official case, it's pretty good, but I find myself using it naked these days. So much lighter and pleasant in the hand.

Although it isn't perfect - irregular lighting at the bottom - it almost feels like a perfect device and such a massive improvement on my old reader, Sony 505. Soooooo much better for ereading than tablets due to weight, no lcd and no distractions.

Edited by yegon at 20:50:53 01-01-2013
  • Blaizefm 1 Jan 2013 21:01:21 232 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The screen isn't perfect - and I could see if you were that way the ghosting at the bottom would drive you up the wall. Fortunately I am able to ignore it myself.

This is probably at odds to everyone else, but I actually wish it were a little bigger.
  • Psychotext 1 Jan 2013 22:47:38 52,774 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Also, is it possible to turn the backlight completely off? I'm probably wrong here but on the lowest setting there is still a light on and I can read it in the dark. I was hoping to be able to turn it off completely as I don't want to strain my eyes with a backlight like I would with a tablet.
    Yes, but you need a hacked firmware.

Blaizefm wrote:
    This is probably at odds to everyone else, but I actually wish it were a little bigger.
    No, I'd be happier if the screen was about the same size as a normal paperback... but annoyingly it's not.

Edited by Psychotext at 22:50:09 01-01-2013
  • delbert 2 Jan 2013 15:30:46 2,888 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    10 Kurt Vonnegut novels on sale for the Kindle Daily Deal today, I've read and enjoyed Cats Cradle and have Slaughterhouse 5 in my physical to read pile but these are more obscure titles has anyone read any, any worth picking up?

(the list is Deadeye Dick, Bluebeard, Jailbird, Slapstick, Palm Sunday, Timequake, Hocus Pocus, Bagombo Snuff Box, Galapagos and Welcome to the Monkey House)
  • Deleted user 2 January 2013 15:45:26
    Name rings a bell but haven't read any of his books. Worth picking up?
  • delbert 2 Jan 2013 16:30:25 2,888 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hoping someone can answer that too.. Not sure on how these deal novels compare to his more well known works?
  • mrpon 2 Jan 2013 16:31:55 27,643 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Touchscreen showed its weakness yesterday when I was waiting for a bus in the freezing cold and couldn't turn the page with my gloves on. It is a concern, especially as I do a lot of my reading while walking but hopefully this damn place will heat up and I can take my gloves off.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• kalel 2 Jan 2013 16:36:24 83,864 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Or a more elegant solution:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_i_1?rh=k%3Atouchscreen+gloves%2Ci%3Aclothing&keywords=touchscreen+gloves&ie=UTF8&qid=1357144509

Or just use fingerless gloves like I do.
  • Deleted user 2 January 2013 20:41:33
    Heh, I have actually used my nose to touch the screen when I'm 'sure' no one is looking.
  • Dougs 2 Jan 2013 21:14:09 64,887 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Re the backlight, it's actually less straining to read it in good light with the light on fullish than with it totally off. Seemed a bit backward to me when they suggested it, but it does actually work.
  • senso-ji 2 Jan 2013 21:38:32 5,303 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    delbert wrote:
    10 Kurt Vonnegut novels on sale for the Kindle Daily Deal today, I've read and enjoyed Cats Cradle and have Slaughterhouse 5 in my physical to read pile but these are more obscure titles has anyone read any, any worth picking up?

(the list is Deadeye Dick, Bluebeard, Jailbird, Slapstick, Palm Sunday, Timequake, Hocus Pocus, Bagombo Snuff Box, Galapagos and Welcome to the Monkey House)
    The only one I've read is Slaughterhouse 5 and it was stunning; I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a stack of his books if they were on sale.
  • monkman76 4 Jan 2013 11:50:17 3,396 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Can anyone who's used both a Paperwhite and an older Kindle tell me if the Paperwhite is just as easy on the eye for reading at length in daylight / a lit room? (obviously it's better in the dark)

I'm confused by the fact that you're supposed to use the PW's light like you would on a smartphone or tablet - ie. the brighter the ambient light, the brighter you should set the PW's light. I thought the point of e-ink was to avoid staring at a light source, which is why Kindles (the older non-lit ones at least) are so much better than say an iPad for extended reading.
  • Dougs 4 Jan 2013 11:59:16 64,887 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yep, just as good imo - it's not backlit (frontlit it seems), haven't noticed any eyestrain that is noticeable. As I said above, it seemed weird at first to have it up high but it does work. Particularly the low level light in the dark, much easier than an iPad etc in the dark.
  • monkman76 4 Jan 2013 12:03:30 3,396 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks. Still seems counter-intuitive, even though as you say it's frontlit rather than backlit.

Still not sure if I need the Paperwhite over the new 69 version as I can't see myself reading it in the dark. I guess there's the touch functionality (although that might be a double-edged sword - no physical page turn buttons) and the increased resolution.
  • Dougs 4 Jan 2013 12:07:53 64,887 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't miss the hardware buttons (although don't the new ones have touchscreen only). Was always knocking them. Increased res is nice
  • monkman76 4 Jan 2013 12:11:29 3,396 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The new cheapie one has a 5-way controller and big buttons on the side for page-turning. No touchscreen. Lighter too!
  • spindle9988 4 Jan 2013 13:07:34 3,367 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I still have the old 89 kindle with nice clicky buttons omn each side and no backlight. I am tempted to get a newer model but I hate the idea of having fingerprints on the screen
  • ram 4 Jan 2013 13:14:22 3,466 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Unless you have chocolate fingers the kindle doesn't show up finger prints
  • spindle9988 4 Jan 2013 13:18:12 3,367 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @ram

Lol. I may have a look then because I have to read in the dark with a night light at the mo, and watch batteries do not last very long
  • mrpon 4 Jan 2013 13:25:05 27,643 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ram wrote:
    Unless you have chocolate fingers the kindle doesn't show up finger prints
    Racist.

• thefilthandthefury 4 Jan 2013 13:44:47 24,901 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Are the whites on the Kindle Fire HD supposed to be so... yellow? My girlfriend got one for Christmas and next to my Nexus 7 it looks a bit off sometimes.

Then again, when reading a book it looks more like a real page so it does have advantages.
  • thefilthandthefury 6 Jan 2013 19:41:48 24,901 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also... does anybody use anything like Google Drive or Dropbox on one of these? Was after a program for her to use but can't see anything like that in the store. Then again, I'm TERRIBLE at finding anything.
  • Deleted user 6 January 2013 19:46:11
    I have bought an obscene about of books in the 12 days sale.
  • melv 6 Jan 2013 21:29:17 57 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you go to the dropbox website you can download it from there.
  • thefilthandthefury 6 Jan 2013 21:31:37 24,901 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah right, ok... and can I do that and download it straight onto the Kindle itself? I have next to no experience with one of these and she's less than clued up herself to be honest.
  • melv 6 Jan 2013 22:15:42 57 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes, just go to dropbox.com then to the mobile site I think. It shows some devices, and the kindle fire should be there. Click on it and you should be able to download and install. Don't forget to allow 'allow installation of applications' in the settings.
  • thefilthandthefury 6 Jan 2013 22:35:52 24,901 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah brilliant - thanks a lot! I'll give it a shot now.

Edited by thefilthandthefury at 22:35:58 06-01-2013
  • mrpon 10 Jan 2013 09:29:13 27,643 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Firmware update out for Touch users, new user interface, enhanced parental controls, book covers, navigate graphic novels/comics amongst other changes.

Source

• Deleted user 10 January 2013 18:52:29
    It's a bit annoying (but I suppose inevitable) that they've basically abandoned older models. Not even older models, really. The K4 came out at the same time as the touch. Yet we don't get a new UI, comic navigation, book covers or X-Ray, even though they'd all work absolutely fine on them. Ah well. It still reads books fine, so not really a problem.
  • Psychotext 12 Jan 2013 16:16:18 52,774 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So I'm still really considering sending this Kindle Paperwhite back and I've been searching around to see if it's just mine that's fairly bad or they all are. I found these images, and as far as the forum I got it from are concerned, it's one of the better ones.

Are my eyes fucked or is the uniformity on that awful? It's considerably worse than mine and now I'm worried about sending mine back full stop. I have a nasty feeling that I'll end up swapping it out 5 times before I get a good one.
  • Page

of 70 First / Last