Amazon Kindle Page 63

• Page

of 74 First / Last

• Lexx87 29 Dec 2012 08:52:30 20,863 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think they are all like that, but aye it doesn't detract from it. Only at full whack as well.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Tom_Servo 29 Dec 2012 15:51:39 18,082 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Got to be honest, bit disappointed with how many books I've looked up so far that are actually more expensive on the Kindle than buying the actual book off Amazon.
  • Deleted user 29 December 2012 16:13:01
    I'm moved so far to the other side that I would pay more for a Kindle version just as it is the version I prefer and will thus most likely read. Even if deep down I know that makes no sense logically!
  • Lexx87 29 Dec 2012 16:18:36 20,863 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Second hand book books you can get for 50p but, I pay for the convinience I guess.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Tom_Servo 29 Dec 2012 16:29:45 18,082 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't mean second-hand books, I'm meaning buying them brand new off Amazon!

The three reasons I got the Kindle were because of space, convenience and price. It's not doing particularly well on price right now (at least for things I'm looking at). Paying more for an e-book than an actual book is ludicrous. For example, For Whom the Bell Tolls is 6.99 on the Kindle store but 4.89 for the paperback. I know that'll be a closer gap once P&P is taken into consideration, but paying a little bit more or just about breaking even still isn't really good enough.

I should also say I've also found some good bargains on it, such as Behind the Beautiful Forevers for 1.50-ish, so it's not all bad. On the whole I think it's a good bit of kit.

There's a couple of well-known authors who don't seem to be on the store either, but I'm assuming that'll change with time.
  • mrpon 29 Dec 2012 16:33:10 29,566 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The germs, don't forget all those lovely germs.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 29 December 2012 16:35:07
    Remember people the 12 days sale is on and is great. Picked up the Life of Pi (20p!), A Secret History of Torture and Horologicon as well as others.

@Tom you are right that we should be seeing cheaper prices as standard but it isn't something that bothers me at the moment. I'm drowning in books so never desperate enough for one in particular that I can't wait for a price drop/sale.
  • Mr-Brett 29 Dec 2012 16:41:24 12,894 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nice one, I had to grab Life of Pi at that price. I notice 50 Shades of Grey it 20p too, somehow I resisted that one :)

Edit: Ha! it's 50 Sheds of Grey, sorry to get everyone's hopes up.

Edited by Mr-Brett at 16:44:47 29-12-2012

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• senso-ji 29 Dec 2012 16:59:27 6,042 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Tom_Servo

Don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread but the reason why Kindle books are more expensive than their paper counterparts is because digital products are subject to VAT but paperbacks are not. This might change in the future as ebooks get more popular but for now I think 20% VAT applies to Kindle store purchases.
  • Deleted user 29 December 2012 17:10:05
    I've found for the vast majority of books I buy, the e-book is cheaper. Certainly with new releases which is mostly what I read.

Older books might not be so comparable though as these tend to get sold off significantly cheaper to reduce stock, whereas that's never a concern with e-books.
  • Tom_Servo 29 Dec 2012 17:18:11 18,082 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    @Tom_Servo

Don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread but the reason why Kindle books are more expensive than their paper counterparts is because digital products are subject to VAT but paperbacks are not. This might change in the future as ebooks get more popular but for now I think 20% VAT applies to Kindle store purchases.
    You're right, VAT applies to e-books. That explains a bit. I presume that'll be stopped soon enough.
  • MrSensible 29 Dec 2012 22:10:47 25,368 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Are there any particular case recommendations for the Kindle Fire HD? I bought one for my girlfriend for Christmas but, due to the fact that I wasn't sure if she'd want that one or the Paperwhite, I didn't pick up any sort of case... any ideas, people? There's probably a million buried away in this thread somewhere, so my apologies!

I've just ordered a Poetic case for my own Nexus 7, which looks rather snazzy for the price like. We'd be looking in the same kind of price range - don't need anything too swish.

She was looking at this one herself before. Seems like it might do the trick for the price.

Edited by thefilthandthefury at 22:42:41 29-12-2012
  • Deleted user 29 December 2012 23:14:50
    Publishing house kindle books are also due to dramatically fall in price in a month or two - they're waiting on the hearing regarding the price fixing thing, but that's a certainty to go through (the publishers have already basically settled, but they have to wait for legal shit to go through before they can action). After that, Amazon will have free reign to price as they want again, along with compensation on bought ebooks that were publisher-set (at least in the US).
  • Blaizefm 29 Dec 2012 23:52:32 232 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    And then we will have a monopoly in the ebook market.

On a side note, can anyone explain why Waterstones are selling Kindles? I can't work out what is in it for Waterstones. Now, if you got a Kindle copy when you bought a physical book: I'd be all over that.
  • chopsen 29 Dec 2012 23:57:32 16,290 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    yeah, I never got that. like turkeys selling Christmas Carol sheet music.
  • Deleted user 30 December 2012 00:24:05
    Same here, just can't see how it isn't selling their own demise. Like Indie music shops stocking Itunes gift cards in a way. Or not.
  • disusedgenius 30 Dec 2012 01:18:44 5,614 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Personally I'd much rather be able to go to Waterstones to browse and buy my e-books - the Kindle Store is a real crock of shit unless you already know exactly what you're after.

I somewhat doubt whether Amazon are planning to be particularly generous for the privilege, mind.

Edited by disusedgenius at 01:19:02 30-12-2012
  • Deleted user 30 December 2012 03:17:38
    Blaizefm wrote:
    And then we will have a monopoly in the ebook market.
    Not any moreso than any other ebook seller. The ruling applies across the entire market, so places like Barnes and Noble are doing similar things. Ironically, the price fixing was done in the first place in order to foster a monopoly - publishers entering deals with Apple so that they could effectively dictate the market.

To be honest, most of the price drops have already occurred anyway. New releases tend to hover around $9.99-12.99, when just a few months ago they could easily climb over $20.
  • Psychotext 30 Dec 2012 04:24:58 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Was given a Kindle paperwhite for Christmas and the light / panel uniformity on it is awful. I've also got some of those pink splotches. Wondering what to do now, as I've never had to exchange a gift before.

I really hope ones like this one are rare, but on searching I've seen a number of people having similar issues. :(

Edited by Psychotext at 04:25:51 30-12-2012
  • Deleted user 30 December 2012 19:51:07
    Thinking of picking up a PW. I'm one of these people that like books though. But i could also get the chance to be a tree hugging paper saving hero if i get one. heh.

My reading habits have decreased alot over the last couple of months so thinking of picking one up, be ideal to save on space (and having to make sure they don't damaged through damp etc)

How are people who were adamant about books who made the swtich to the kindle getting on?
  • Deleted user 30 December 2012 20:02:03
    I was fiercely pro-dead tree. Then I had to sell all my books, and managed to get a Kindle on special offer. Now I'm a complete convert. The pro-book in you fights for the first couple of ebooks, but as soon as you finish a few it vanishes quickly. I only buy physical books now if they're either very special or on a ridiculous discount.
  • Psychotext 30 Dec 2012 20:25:50 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Based on my limited experience with my new Kindle I'm very much finding that dead trees are easier to read.
  • Deleted user 30 December 2012 20:33:20
    I made the transition very quickly.
  • Deleted user 30 December 2012 20:35:42
    Yeah, I've heard lots of conflicting reports about the screens on the paperwhite. Another reason for me not to upgrade I guess. Kindles were always cheaply made, but their returns policy is pretty much spotless to make up for it. They'll exchange (even out of warranty) even if you purposefully snap it in two. May be worth giving them a bell.
  • Deleted user 30 December 2012 20:51:28
    Thanks for the replies. shall have a look at one on display somewhere. I know its only limited viewing, but at least i have an idea of what they are like.
  • Popzeus 30 Dec 2012 21:27:31 8,427 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love dead trees, got a loft full of 'em. But found I've been reading a lot more since I got my first Kindle 2 years ago. The single best thing, for me, is being able to instantly buy any book I like and start reading it straight away.

Paperwhite is the one to go for if you're getting one, I've been very impressed with mine since upgrading at Xmas.

Edited by Popzeus at 21:27:58 30-12-2012

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Tom_Servo 30 Dec 2012 22:13:55 18,082 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm finding reading e-books fine, but right now I still prefer having the actual book in my hand. I suppose with your bog-standard paperback it doesn't really matter, but a well-made book is a wonderful thing.

Funnily enough I got two special hardback editions of F. Scott Fitzgerald along with the Kindle at Christmas, and they're absolutely beautiful. You just don't get that kind of thing with e-books, unfortunately.
  • Deleted user 30 December 2012 22:17:05
    Popzeus wrote:
    The single best thing, for me, is being able to instantly buy any book I like and start reading it straight away.
    I never used to impulse-buy books, now I often do. But my reading's also heavily diversified because of this too. I do usually check out a sample first (another major bonus when buying completely unknown stuff), so I guess it's not strictly impulse buying, but there we go. I guess you could argue it's a negative on finances, though.
  • Deleted user 31 December 2012 17:33:21
    Couple thoughts after a few days while I wait for someone. Bought the official case as I don't like how all the other cases I found have bands to hold the kindle in place - not a fan. At first I really didn't like it, felt a bit plasticky and artificial compared to the original official case but it has grown on me a lot. Feels and looks more like a gadget case than a book/journal cover (if that makes sense) but the feel has grown on me and I like how opening it unlocks the kindle. Small feature but I appreciate it.

Had a bit of a problem yesterday as the Kindle struggled with the Sunday Herald. Doesn't struggle with daily editions so I imagine it was the particularly big size (Sunday edition and end of year features), but annoying that I couldn't access the contents menu at all.

Also, is it possible to turn the backlight completely off? I'm probably wrong here but on the lowest setting there is still a light on and I can read it in the dark. I was hoping to be able to turn it off completely as I don't want to strain my eyes with a backlight like I would with a tablet.

Touchscreen showed its weakness yesterday when I was waiting for a bus in the freezing cold and couldn't turn the page with my gloves on. It is a concern, especially as I do a lot of my reading while walking but hopefully this damn place will heat up and I can take my gloves off.
  • Popzeus 31 Dec 2012 17:40:07 8,427 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Popzeus wrote:
    The single best thing, for me, is being able to instantly buy any book I like and start reading it straight away.
    I never used to impulse-buy books, now I often do. But my reading's also heavily diversified because of this too. I do usually check out a sample first (another major bonus when buying completely unknown stuff), so I guess it's not strictly impulse buying, but there we go. I guess you could argue it's a negative on finances, though.
    Also, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have got round to reading your book if I didn't have a Kindle ;)

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Page

of 74 First / Last