Amazon Kindle Page 58

• Page

of 74 First / Last

• StixxUK 16 Sep 2012 19:23:32 7,287 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If one buys a book on one's Phone, should it also appear on the Kindle automatically?
  • mrpon 16 Sep 2012 19:28:58 29,555 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you use the same account yes, when you sync from the menu.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• TechnoHippy 4 Oct 2012 13:08:59 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    May have already been posted, but may be useful for some people if not:

http://www.indie-book-bargains.co.uk/

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Deleted user 4 October 2012 13:31:25
    Little warning, Kindle's do not like being left dead for a while. I've been cycling to work recently so my Kindle hasn't been touched in a couple of months, and I had a lot of trouble coaxing it back to life from dead. A google shows that it's a very common problem and many are simply dead forever when this happens.

So be warned.
  • Blaizefm 4 Oct 2012 18:37:20 232 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Too...many...books

I'm not too worried about the cost of ebooks myself. I'm happy spending a tender on an author I like. I see it as paying for the content. Having said that I would love to wander into Waterstones, browse, buy a physical book and get the ebook delivered to my device.

And whilst I'm here, does anyone else like the idea of a bigger kindle? I find the current one really uncomfortable to read with one hand. I'm used to reading hardbacks with both hands. A nice hard back sized kindle would go down well with me.
  • Deleted user 4 October 2012 18:39:35
    They already do a bigger Kindle - the DX. It's hideously overpriced, though.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GYWHSQ/ref=sa_menu_kdpm3

Edited by meme at 18:39:55 04-10-2012
  • Blaizefm 4 Oct 2012 20:12:12 232 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wouldn't say no to that. Except the price. It's obviously a few revisions old, I imagine a new one will be coming through soon.

Edited by Blaizefm at 20:12:53 04-10-2012
  • mrpon 4 Oct 2012 20:49:45 29,555 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wouldn't hold your breath.

• BurnoutJunkie 4 Oct 2012 20:53:36 730 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    rI'm getting the Kindle Paperwhite (front/backlit, not sue) form the States, a friend is shipping it over when Amazon.com sends it to him. Knowing our luck in the UK, it'll take a year before it's released here.
  • elhozzo 5 Oct 2012 18:07:29 351 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    not sure where to ask this, but wanted to see if I can get some help/advice : I want to buy a tablet, but I also want to be able to change the proxy (to one that fakes my IP ... - which I can do on my pc) - is there an OS that allows this ? Android, iOS ? I was thinking maybe on Windows 8 ... ?
  • yegon 11 Oct 2012 19:30:46 5,412 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Paperwhite available for preorder on Amazon UK, delivers 25th Oct! Woo! Done and done.

Sod's law dictates that this is ONE BLEEDING DAY after I setup a Bundlebox account and order one from the US, tsk. Still, cancelled my US order, and I'm willing to take the hit on the $15 I spent on Bundlebox, which I'll actually get refunded should I ever actually use it. On balance, I'm happy, muh rather have UK one for warranty purposes.
  • Blaizefm 11 Oct 2012 19:53:17 232 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ordered a wifi paper white. I have the old keyboard kindle which will go to the missus. Really like the idea of the light.
  • BurnoutJunkie 11 Oct 2012 20:30:06 730 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @yegon - I just asked my friend to cancel the order in the States, and have pre-ordered one here, woohoo. Do you know how much it would have cost in total via Bundlebox? I assume taxes would be payable?
  • yegon 11 Oct 2012 20:36:28 5,412 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BurnoutJunkie wrote:
    @yegon - I just asked my friend to cancel the order in the States, and have pre-ordered one here, woohoo. Do you know how much it would have cost in total via Bundlebox? I assume taxes would be payable?
    In my case it was £141, but I think it varies due to currency fluctuations. I'll take the $15 hit on that Bundlebox account (which I'll get back should I ever use it) given that, all in, it's costing me £118.36 instead of £141 that I was looking at last night!
  • PhoenixFlames 11 Oct 2012 20:45:17 9,229 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My gf has the Kindle 3 (with keyboard) and loves it. Is there any reason to get her one of the newer ones?

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Dougs 11 Oct 2012 21:17:50 69,475 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What does the paperwhite do for glare etc? Or is still reading in the sun fine and dandy?
  • Deleted user 11 October 2012 21:20:42
    Dougs wrote:
    What does the paperwhite do for glare etc? Or is still reading in the sun fine and dandy?
    Their ads specifically talk about being readable in direct sunlight. It's exactly the same screen type as the other einks (nonreflective surface), just with much improved contrast and a built-in frontlight.
  • Dougs 11 Oct 2012 21:30:55 69,475 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sold! Out a week before my birthday.....
  • greenthumb 11 Oct 2012 22:13:45 369 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bugger, I was hoping to pick up a paperwhite in the states, but now it's available here I might as well order one now.

So, I now have a practically new ( 2 months old), immaculate kindle 4 for sale, including an official amazon leather case with light (bought 1 month ago for £43) in a rather fetching olive colour...
  • mrpon 11 Oct 2012 22:29:27 29,555 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't scare me with that exclamation mark Dougs!

• Deleted user 11 October 2012 22:32:50
    So tempted but completely skint and saving for a puppy. Like the look of the time to read thing. News to me.
  • Dougs 11 Oct 2012 23:10:48 69,475 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Don't scare me with that exclamation mark Dougs!
    They have their uses imo, and that was such an occasion.!
  • Dougs 11 Oct 2012 23:13:19 69,475 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    So tempted but completely skint and saving for a puppy. Like the look of the time to read thing. News to me.
    Are you sure you're not a magpie?
  • monkman76 12 Oct 2012 11:10:11 5,381 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Reading a couple of US reviews of the paperwhite they mention the basic version with ads and the ad-free version for $20 more. Which version do we get (there doesn't seem to be a choice)?
  • Deleted user 12 October 2012 11:19:13
    Dougs wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Are you sure you're not a magpie?
    I LIKE STUFF
  • CharlieStCloud 12 Oct 2012 11:35:02 5,512 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Only just placed my order for this seeing as all I have done since May-ish time is saved, saved, saved my wages and quite fancy treating myself to a Kindle ... and my very first one too!

Not too fussed about a cover (£32?!) although is it worth buying a sleeve, or is the Kindle fairly robust anyway?
  • Deleted user 13 October 2012 16:40:25
    Dear Kindle Customer,

We have good news. You are entitled to a credit for some of your past e-book purchases as a result of legal settlements between several major e-book publishers and the Attorneys General of most U.S. states and territories, including yours. You do not need to do anything to receive this credit. We will contact you when the credit is applied to your Amazon.com account if the Court approves the settlements in February 2013.

Hachette, Harper Collins, and Simon & Schuster have settled an antitrust lawsuit about e-book prices. Under the proposed settlements, the publishers will provide funds for a credit that will be applied directly to your Amazon.com account. If the Court approves the settlements, the account credit will appear automatically and can be used to purchase Kindle books or print books. While we will not know the amount of your credit until the Court approves the settlements, the Attorneys General estimate that it will range from $0.30 to $1.32 for every eligible Kindle book that you purchased between April 2010 and May 2012. Alternatively, you may request a check in the amount of your credit by following the instructions included in the formal notice of the settlements, set forth below. You can learn more about the settlements here:
    www.amazon.com/help/agencyebooksettlements

In addition to the account credit, the settlements impose limitations on the publishers’ ability to set e-book prices. We think these settlements are a big win for customers and look forward to lowering prices on more Kindle books in the future.

Thank you for being a Kindle customer.

The Amazon Kindle Team
    \o/
  • mrpon 13 Oct 2012 16:41:52 29,555 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Love Amazon

• delbert 13 Oct 2012 23:34:21 2,893 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @meme be interested to see if this is applied in the UK, not really bothered by the refund but competitive pricing can only be good for the consumer!
  • Dougs 21 Oct 2012 21:28:57 69,475 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Amazon forces UK publishers to pay 20% VAT on ebook sales

http://gu.com/p/3b9kp
  • Page

of 74 First / Last