The 'Official' UFC appreciation thread Page 125

• Page

of 179 First / Last

• craigy Staff 5 Mar 2013 11:46:48 7,722 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aaah, I'm so excited! When do the countdown shows start airing?
  • Blakester 5 Mar 2013 11:47:10 3,636 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't think there are any great boxers in the UFC, but there are a few that show half-decent technique and Diaz is one of them.

His cardio, combined with his punching volume can make for a great fight but he doesn't have a plan B when his opponent doesn't play ball (see Condit).

I imagine GSP will try and smother him for 5 rounds, with a sneaky sub being Diaz's only chance of a win.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Frogofdoom 5 Mar 2013 11:47:59 968 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    No mma fighter can have great boxing as its a full time commitment to reach that level with your hands. This would basically cause them to get taken down and subbed in seconds. I think you have to take the great boxing comment as great boxing within the world of mma.

Gsp hasnt knocked anyone out since 2008 and even then it was only matt serra. Im not sure where he is going to suddenly draw ko power to knockout someone that hasnt been stopped via ko in over 11 years.

Gsp will win but the chances of it being by knockout are very slim.
  • craigy Staff 5 Mar 2013 11:50:52 7,722 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm really, really hoping for a GSP superman punch flash KO.
  • craigy Staff 5 Mar 2013 11:56:13 7,722 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In my book GSP has Diaz covered across all disciplines. I think he'll frustrate Diaz by muscling him against the cage, take him down, and GNP finish.
  • The-Bodybuilder 5 Mar 2013 12:06:37 14,293 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    No mma fighter can have great boxing as its a full time commitment to reach that level with your hands. This would basically cause them to get taken down and subbed in seconds. I think you have to take the great boxing comment as great boxing within the world of mma.
    I mean learning the basics; footwork, head movement and angles. It seems a lot of fighters (beyond the people who have some prior experience in high-level striking, see Anderson Silva for one) don't bother with those, even though they have clear carry over and advantage even to avoid a take down.
  • The-Bodybuilder 5 Mar 2013 12:07:25 14,293 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I want him to actually KO Diaz; to leave him in a heap of mess.
  • Frogofdoom 5 Mar 2013 12:28:53 968 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj_Ystewa1A&feature=player_embedded
  • Deleted user 6 March 2013 20:50:05
    So its offical, Anderson Silva vs Chris Weidman at UFC 162 in July.

I favour Weidman.
  • Frogofdoom 6 Mar 2013 21:49:52 968 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Weidman hasnt really beaten enough top contenders to get the chance, i expect him to be smashed brutally
  • Deleted user 6 March 2013 22:04:15
    Undeserving or not (this is the UFC), its a really compelling contest. Silva has the best striking in MMA and has every chance of winning this fight (any fight) but I find it hard to dismiss how poor his defensive guard can be. I think Weidman exploits it.

Also, really stoked about the Shogun/Nog rematch! Hendo/Evans not so much.

Edited by TearYouAsunder at 22:04:48 06-03-2013

Edited by TearYouAsunder at 22:05:47 06-03-2013
  • craigy Staff 7 Mar 2013 09:17:56 7,722 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Reem injured, out of the Dos Santos fight :(
  • craigy Staff 7 Mar 2013 09:20:59 7,722 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jeez, Hendo/Evans is bound to be terrible.

We saw how Chael held Anderson down for five rounds: I can see the same thing happening with Weidman. That's assuming he doesn't get Matrixed during a takedown attempt.

BTW, has anyone been watching TUF? The fights have been really good this year.
  • Deleted user 7 March 2013 13:29:27
    craigy wrote:
    Reem injured, out of the Dos Santos fight :(
    Give him Mark Hunt!!! :D
  • craigy Staff 7 Mar 2013 13:36:59 7,722 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    According to the lunatic official rankings Hunt is ranked 9th, between Nelson and Struve. Has Werdum got a fight lined up?
  • Deleted user 7 March 2013 14:53:02
    craigy wrote:
    According to the lunatic official rankings Hunt is ranked 9th, between Nelson and Struve. Has Werdum got a fight lined up?
    Yeah, the offical rankings really are farcical, making fights like Jones/Sonnen and cutting top 10 WW's renders a ranking system a bit of a pointless endeavour.

And to be fair to Mark Hunt, the HW division isnt exactly packed with talent, he is the only guy on a four fight win streak and his victories over Rothwell, Kongo and Struve (who was riding a 4 fight win streak himself) are all very serviceable. Im still shocked however that Mark Hunt in the modern age is on a run like this.

Werdum and Big Nog are opposing coaches on the next TUF Brazil.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 8 Mar 2013 01:29:23 11,404 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @craigy Yeah, I'm really enjoying watching Sonnen get under Jones' skin gradually, and working his mind game. Chael is pretty intelligent. I think that they really need to hang on to guys like him, Brian Stann and Randy Couture as commentators, as they have the knowledge and the intelligence to talk about the fights.

There's just something about Kenny Florian that I can't stand as far as commentary goes.

But back to TUF. Uriah seems mentally very weak, so even though he's a monster and has a career in the UFC guaranteed, I can see him losing TUF. That British guy seems like he has a decent shot at it too, he seems to be mentally strong, and knows how to use his height.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• The-Bodybuilder 8 Mar 2013 08:34:19 14,293 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Epic GSP/Diaz conference call meltdown all over the net.
    GSP pretty much own Diaz, and Diaz sounds like he's high.
  • Frogofdoom 8 Mar 2013 09:41:30 968 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Most people think that GSP came across as a douche from what i have read. Also listened to the whole thing and didnt think there was any owning going on.

Diaz is always high, he has prescription weed on supply.
  • craigy Staff 8 Mar 2013 09:42:08 7,722 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Diaz is so hard done by. In his mind.
  • craigy Staff 8 Mar 2013 11:10:56 7,722 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Telepathic.Geometry Sonnen is coming across really well -- he seems genuine in his concern for his team mates, and his little motivational speeches are particularly nice. His team have managed to pull off a few good upsets, too!

Uriah is a bit of a nut bar. Maybe it's the house drawing it out of him, but he's a bit of a drag.

Barnatt's an interesting one -- hope he does well. We need fresh UK blood in the UFC after Etim and Mills both got cut!
  • craigy Staff 11 Mar 2013 09:27:28 7,722 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hunt vs. JDS is on!
  • Deleted user 11 March 2013 13:05:50
    craigy wrote:
    Hunt vs. JDS is on!
    Lets put things into perspective, If Hunt manages to do the unthinkable he would be in line for a UFC title shot :D
  • craigy Staff 11 Mar 2013 18:59:36 7,722 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bah, Rory is injured and out of the Condit fight. Condit now faces... Hendricks! Easy win for Hendricks, I reckon,
  • craigy Staff 11 Mar 2013 19:01:27 7,722 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also, new episode of The Reem is up. I bloody love that documentary's style.
  • Frogofdoom 11 Mar 2013 20:17:37 968 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Im thinking JDS wont risk standing with Hunt and will take him down and sub him in the first round.

However the thing going in Hunts favour is JDS had his pride badly damaged last fight and will want to send a message out.

On another note have you guys seen like water http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1872819/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 Its the documentary that was made leading up to Silva's first fight with Sonnen. Its an enjoyable watch.
  • Deleted user 11 March 2013 22:06:43
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Im thinking JDS wont risk standing with Hunt and will take him down and sub him in the first round.
    Agree 100% even though Hunt has never been choked out, Im can see JDS locking up something routine like an arm triangle and tapping him early.

If they trade on the feet though.....:)
  • The-Bodybuilder 12 Mar 2013 00:03:01 14,293 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    IMO, JDS can stand and bang with Hunt, his boxing is good enough to keep him on the outside.
  • Frogofdoom 12 Mar 2013 07:00:56 968 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @craigy Uriah has gone on record saying he has been edited a bit strangely on TUF. he said its like they have created some odd character of him that he keeps watching the show to see what happens next to him. So i get the feeling its more down to them and clever editing than him being a total nut job.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 12 Mar 2013 07:48:56 11,404 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I agree that they definitely cut everybody to make them more watchable. They always seem to go out of their way to have the good coach, bad coach angle too, and have a few head-jobs, but still, he seems like he's got a hefty chip on his shoulder...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Page

of 179 First / Last