The **OFFICIAL** Comics thread. Page 2

• Page

of 66 First / Last

• morriss 4 Aug 2006 21:45:26 71,286 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Now you've gone and spoilt it for me! ;)
  • Lex_Luthor 4 Aug 2006 21:48:31 1,067 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sorry :(

I read the thing where Morrison said that a while ago. I'd been used to the idea long before I read the issue.

If it helps, knowing what it's following up on won't actually spoil very much for you in the actual issue. I don't think so anyway.
  • BigHairyBear 4 Aug 2006 21:49:06 118 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Became pretty addicted to comics in the early nineties when Image was formed and the Batman films rejuvenated Batman comics...remember Batman Legends?

Also loved the Grendel series by Matt Wagner...fantastic stuff!

So...going off at a tangent, how's 2000AD doing at the mo? Does anyone still read it? When I was a kiddie it was the highlight of the week....Flesh,Dan Dare,Dredd,Invasion and even Mach1 were 'kin fantastic..but haven't read it for years, glad to see it's still on the shelf.

Come to think of it..it must be the only "british" comic still going! I remember there were loads of comics when i was a lad(!)....Warlord,Battle,Action(Hookjaw...yay), whizzer,cheeky,Victor,Tiger, Roy of the Rovers etc......whatever happened to the British Comics industry? Seems it's all american reprints or Yu-Gi-Oh nowadays..............
  • morriss 4 Aug 2006 21:53:56 71,286 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lex_Luthor wrote:
    Sorry :(

I read the thing where Morrison said that a while ago. I'd been used to the idea long before I read the issue.

If it helps, knowing what it's following up on won't actually spoil very much for you in the actual issue. I don't think so anyway.

There aren't any comic shops in the town where I live, and the journey to Copenhagen is 40 return so I have a comic shop send me the comics. But because their shipping fees are an extortionate 45kr (4.50) they send the comics every 2 months and the last batch was sent at the beginning of July...
  • Deleted user 4 August 2006 23:28:45
    I really enjoyed the new JLA. It was basically just a quick recap of the history of the JLA, but the way it's been put together is good, and new beginnings are always exciting. Can't wait for it to get going properly as I'm very impressed with what I've read of Meltzer so far.
  • BigHairyBear 5 Aug 2006 20:03:02 118 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Do you think Videogames are to blame?

I for one gave up a lot of hobbies when i started gaming...reading,music,comics etc...and only recently got back into them (thank god!!) but games are so popular nowadays most other pastimes seem to have taken a backseat...............
  • gerg 5 Aug 2006 20:22:37 880 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    In Marvel there's a big event called Civil War. It's essentially the third part of a trilogy events, which started with Spiderman: the Other and Avengers Dissassembled, with the second part being the House of M event.

But Ultimate Fantastic Four ftw!

Oh, and Jack Staff is a great British comic which is currently running, albeit rather irregularily. The latest issue didn't come for quite a while though, and I would say that the print quality was lacking. Personally, the new stuff doesn't seem to be able to beat the oldies.

Just started reading the 1602 tpb, which is great. I'm going to try and collect the sequal to it, and then pick up the Tales of the Fantastick mini-series.

Edited by gerg at 20:24:49 05-08-2006
  • drumbaby 5 Aug 2006 23:50:44 2,688 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ultimate Fantastic Four is ace. My absolute fave comic however is The Ultimates. I just wish they'd sort out the 3 - 4 month delays between issues.

Ultimates vol 2 # 12 has to be my most anticipated book in years. God knows what'll happen to it once Hitch and Millar quit the book.

DC's Crisis was excellent. Not so sure about the subsequent fall out, but the main event was truly amazing. I'm going to have to find a new regular book or two to replace UFF and the Ultimates once their current story arcs finish.
  • morriss 7 Aug 2006 14:24:55 71,286 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    \o/ My missus has just bought me 'Tec comics #658 through #666 which now means I'm less than 10 comics away from ownig 'all' the Knightfall/KnightsEnd and KnightsQuest story arcs!!

I've got this huge stack of unread comics staring at me. Must...resist....

Edited by morriss at 14:25:05 07-08-2006
  • Deleted user 7 August 2006 14:26:32
    If anyone's interested, I host an FTP which I'm in the process of moving my digital comics onto. A fair selection there (9Gb+) for your evaluation needs. All in .cbz/cbr format.
  • Deleted user 7 August 2006 14:35:56
    How do you read digi comics Gremmi. Do you just use CBR or do you print them or something. I just could never get used to reading them on screen, it just isn't right somehow.
  • Deleted user 7 August 2006 14:40:12
    A variety of ways. My printer isn't good enough to print them out unfortunately, but I've found that the Xbox can read the .cbz files perfectly well as image archives and works as a sequential reader. Looks pretty good on the TV, although I also use my laptop occasionally.
  • Deleted user 7 August 2006 14:43:19
    Never thought about the xboxen. Nice idea! You're still a naughty theif though :p
  • gerg 7 Aug 2006 15:26:28 880 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just finished 1602, and I must say that it is a really rather good comic book. Can't wait to read the New World sequal, and I'll hopefully be able to get the Fantastic Four 1602 mini-series.
  • morriss 8 Aug 2006 17:20:00 71,286 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just bagging up some new minty-fresh comics now. Batman#655's included so I can now begin to understand Lex's post above.

/smells comic

mmmmmmmmmmm

Edited by morriss at 17:20:00 08-08-2006
  • Spanky 8 Aug 2006 17:32:45 14,610 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'll have some of that dirty action Gremmi, i promise to get anything that has artwork up to scratch :D

Plubs

• Deleted user 8 August 2006 17:47:56
    New run of The Flash has a lot of potential. The new run of The Atom does not.
  • morriss 8 Aug 2006 17:50:18 71,286 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My copy of 52, #2 is ripped. A fucking huge one too! Wankers. I've written a badly-written curt email in Danish. Let's see how they like that!!
  • Deleted user 8 August 2006 17:54:51
    I'm really enjoying 52 a lot, but the concept is very odd indeed. I mean, I know what happens at the end already, because I'm reading 1 Year Later at the same time. I can't really see how they can work in any major twists, but we'll see. It's all very clever writing anyway, it really is.
  • morriss 8 Aug 2006 18:40:15 71,286 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I'm really enjoying 52 a lot, but the concept is very odd indeed. I mean, I know what happens at the end already, because I'm reading 1 Year Later at the same time. I can't really see how they can work in any major twists, but we'll see. It's all very clever writing anyway, it really is.

I'm about 10 comics behind on that one. I'll think I'll just 2-3 copies a monthfrom Ebay. As long as I have them all. This is one set of comics that I might actually consider selling though. If they prove to be quite rare, "all 52 issues" could fetch a pretty penny in a year or so.
  • morriss 9 Aug 2006 12:02:05 71,286 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone hear read Batman and The Monster Men by Matt Wagner? There's a new mini-series out now called Batman and The Mad Monk. Starts this month. I'm getting it. :)
  • Genji 9 Aug 2006 13:01:52 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Man, I hope the Watchmen movie actually starts getting made so I have an excuse to read it again.
  • Deleted user 9 August 2006 13:02:41
    Genji wrote:
    Man, I hope the Watchmen movie actually starts getting made so I have an excuse to read it again.

You don't need an excuse, and to be honest I really wouldn't want a film of Watchmen. It just wouldn't work.
  • Genji 9 Aug 2006 13:06:23 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Genji wrote:

You don't need an excuse, and to be honest I really wouldn't want a film of Watchmen. It just wouldn't work.
    I thought so too, but the script draft I read was pretty damn good. I think the ending was actually better than it was in the comics. Not completely changed, mind, just more plausible.

You'd have to leave out a lot of stuff, sure. Hell, you could do a whole movie about the pirate story.
  • Deleted user 9 August 2006 13:08:48
    Mayb, but just picture it. Just imagine how it would look. I'm so feaful that they would try and modernise the costumes and look somehow, xmen/superman style, but that wwould just be WROOOONG.

But, to leave it how it looks in the book would mean box office dud I suspect.

It just doesn't need to be made into a film, it's fine as it is, the format dicates the way the story is told. Moreso than any other comic I don't want this one put on screen.
  • Genji 9 Aug 2006 13:16:29 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh sure, it'd bomb at the box office. The script was very well received by the fans, but that won't make it comercially successful. People would see the trailer, say "Oh, this looks just like The Incredibles! Let's go see that!", see it, hate it, and tell all their friends to avoid it like the plague.

I think it would be faithful to the comics if it does get made, though. Considering how faithful stuff like Sin City and the upcoming 300 is, I don't think anyone would feel pressured to dumb it down.

It depends on how well 300 does. The guy directing that is the current director for Watchmen.

Edited by Genji at 13:17:16 09-08-2006
  • RubyRed 9 Aug 2006 13:33:31 4,303 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd just like to say that I'm reading Batman Year One at the moment and I really like it. I can see how much Batman Begins is based on it, as far as Batman's origins are concerned. An interesting insight into Comissioner Gordon's career too.

I also read Batgirl Year One last week as well, which isn't half bad as well.
  • morriss 9 Aug 2006 22:59:30 71,286 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nice one Ruby, try and get Year 2,3 if you can. The Dark Knight Returns is also an excellent read.

/goes to bed

/reads comics
  • Deleted user 9 August 2006 23:01:23
    Just imagaine if Daren Aronovski (director of Pi and Requiem for a Dream) had directed a proper Year 1 film as had been orginally planned! Would have been AWESOME!!
  • morriss 9 Aug 2006 23:07:14 71,286 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Just imagaine if Daren Aronovski (director of Pi and Requiem for a Dream) had directed a proper Year 1 film as had been orginally planned! Would have been AWESOME!!

o_O Didn't know that. I'm still waiting for DKR film. (knows it'll never happen)
  • Page

of 66 First / Last