The **OFFICIAL** Comics thread. Page 65

• Page

of 66 First / Last

• khaz 2 Dec 2013 07:09:45 2,825 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My TPB collection grows.

Initiative Vol 2. - Slowly growing on me. With the setup volume out of the way, some fun stuff in here. The final standalone story of the geeky, chubby, slow and clutz of a doofus recruit who is invulnerable to all harm - but is sadly incapable of feeling any physical intimacy either - has been the best thing in the two volumes so far. His power is used as a great narrative device in lovely little ways (he cannot be punished because its impossible).

In the clusterfuck that is American superhero comics, the story of a boy who has one of the most valuable powers there is but is not really meant to be a "hero" was really good. It was refreshing. The last two pages are special and the ending panel was just right. And making Taskmaster the drill instructor for the whole volume was a stroke of genius. All the best moments involved him.

And oh, the issue where Marvel explain how MVP is the "optimum" human and how it was achieved is so ludicrous that I didn't know whether to take it as it was or just feel insulted.

New Avengers: Breakout - I never really read much Avengers post Disassembled and pre Civil War so this gave me a chance. How the "new" Avengers assembled. Good fun and the writers and artists had a LOT of fun teasing readers with Jessica Drew and what is quite frankly, the hottest costume in comicdom.

Avengers vs. X-Men: Limited Edition Hardcover Collection - I got lucky as a local store had the damn thing there on a shelf, wrapped! O_o Its expensive as fuck (Roughly 70 quid converted from Rupees to Pounds) but the entire saga in one place and that I rarely get things like this meant it was an impulse boy.

The actual story arc is complete and utter stupidity. Typical big event slug-o-fest which embodies the worst and best of American superhero stuff. But its so fucking well drawn and hell...its just fun watching the A list superhero cast beat the ever living shit out of each other nonstop. Thor can take a pounding like no one else. All in all, worth the purchase I think.

Edited by khaz at 07:12:10 02-12-2013
  • opalw00t 27 Dec 2013 17:04:33 11,251 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Watchmen Deluxe Kindle only 2.84 (448 pages)

Edit: and other iconic ones going for less than 4 quid - TKDR, Killing Joke, Judge Dredd Case Files 1+2, From Hell, V for Vendetta, Batman Year One...

Edited by w00t at 17:06:51 27-12-2013

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• GuiltySpark 27 Dec 2013 17:37:53 6,460 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I got this for Christmas, well chuffed.

Get bent.

• opalw00t 30 Jan 2014 14:44:39 11,251 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Found some more cheap Kindle comics today.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century, parts I, II and III for a total of 4.53.

Also lots of first volumes of series are cheap (Fables, Chew, Walking Dead, Invincible, Suicide Squad, Saga, etc).

• Mr-Brett 30 Jan 2014 14:50:28 12,878 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can you read them on the PC app? I bought one a little while ago that could only be read on a kindle device but I have an old keyboard e-ink kindle not one of them fancy tablet computer majiggers, so it's unreadable.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• nickthegun 30 Jan 2014 14:51:05 61,039 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Im a bit of gaylord for AM but I wasnt all that fussed with century.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• opalw00t 30 Jan 2014 15:45:05 11,251 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Century's not the best, but at that price...

@Mr-Brett - I am unsure, I use the Kindle app on iPad to read these.

• Mr-Brett 30 Jan 2014 15:48:12 12,878 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    w00t wrote:
    Century's not the best, but at that price...

@Mr-Brett - I am unsure, I use the Kindle app on iPad to read these.
    Ah fair enough, I've had another look and it does tell you in the 'deliver to' section what you can and can't view that content on.

I've never been that fussed about tablets but I bet they're pretty decent for comics.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• opalw00t 30 Jan 2014 16:13:29 11,251 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They are indeed. Cheaper, too.

• Whizzo 7 Feb 2014 10:31:10 43,269 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I really can't see AMC pulling this off without compromising on it so much, Preacher the TV show.

This space left intentionally blank.

• khaz 7 Feb 2014 10:34:52 2,825 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gonna reserve judgement till I see the first trailers.

Please don't screw it up. :(
  • Vortex808 4 Mar 2014 22:36:23 7,463 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just watched a half hour programme about Frank Quitely on the beeb. It was called 'What do artists do all day'.

I quite(ly) enjoyed it. I've really loved the style of his drawing since picking up a few 'Electric Soup' copies years and years ago.

I assume it'll be on iplayer if anyone is interested in it.
  • Vortex808 18 Mar 2014 11:05:12 7,463 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just a brief heads up that the programme I mentioned above appears to be on BBC4 tonight I think and available on iplayer in case anyone is interested. It was mentioned on the beeb website here

I liked the insight it gave into how comic book artists work.

Edited by Vortex808 at 11:05:34 18-03-2014
  • caligari 18 Mar 2014 11:22:02 17,180 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm still working my way through my library's generous catalogue of graphic novels.

I'm currently having fun with the very sweet 'Bottomless Belly Button':

Also worked through a few Lemire books - Sweet Tooth, Essex County - s'okay, but these were all trumped by the bizarrely beautiful 'Underwater Welder':

• Reallysorry 28 Mar 2014 09:28:04 366 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Thinning out a fairly hefty Graphic Novel collection out if any of you guys are interested. Mainly DC/Marvel stuff with some vertigo and Darkhorse thrown in. If anyone's interested in a list PM me and I'll send it over.

Cheers
  • khaz 28 Mar 2014 09:29:22 2,825 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If I wasn't all the way in India I would.

:(
  • Reallysorry 28 Mar 2014 18:49:51 366 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    That is a fair distance postage is terrible just in england let alone international :/
  • HelloNo 15 Apr 2014 14:12:46 1,226 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just caught up with the Lazarus series by Greg Rucka, excellent art and the main character's rather good.
  • Ged42 2 May 2014 14:08:43 7,773 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    At the British Library in London they've got an exhibition on comics from today till 19th August. There is also various talks and events as well, though the Neil Gaiman/Tori Amos one has already sold out.

Edited by Ged42 at 14:09:44 02-05-2014
  • greg_wha 2 May 2014 21:31:31 192 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Any The Walking Dead readers here guys (stupid question)? Just wondering if you could help me out with a quick question.

I've got the first 2 compendiums. 2 finishes at issue #96. Where do I go from there when I finish reading 2? Is the next compendium due anytime soon? Do I need to buy each issue separately of do they release volumes?

Cheers.
  • dirtysteve 2 May 2014 21:55:36 1,216 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @greg_wha I'd just stop there. The post -100's are fairly poor.

hamsters in the wheel of c**k!

• Reallysorry 2 May 2014 22:03:27 366 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @greg_wha Well you've kind of just finished novel 16 of the TPB's so you'll either need 17 next or you will need to wait maybe a year before compendium 3 is out.

Now your caught up I'd start getting the collected novels as they are out every few month's and it's up to novel 20 for you to catch up to OR just pack it in like I did, I was sick of them depressing the shit out of me every few months when every fucker dies I'm no further than you though so your probably aware of this already.
  • Reallysorry 2 May 2014 22:06:01 366 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @dirtysteve Got that way from the 12th novel onward I found. Should of just stuck to 10 but then the TV show came and now they are milking it for all it's worth.

I'm told some of the characters who were created for the show are now appearing in the novels which is a bit mental.
  • dirtysteve 2 May 2014 22:44:00 1,216 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Someone on another forum wrote that Kirkman1 had some good characters, but didn't know what to do with them.

The new guys bad guy:Negan, other guy Ezekiel are terrible though.

What really annoyed me was reading the letter page on a recent issue, and, I think it was Kirkman! himself responding, and he had a really snotty attitude towards the fans.

It's a mistake to think you can ever dump on the fans.

hamsters in the wheel of c**k!

• LockeTribal 3 May 2014 11:03:05 4,532 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just a reminder that today is Free Comic Book Day, so if you get yourself down to your local comic store there's a chance you could pick up some free comics.
  • heavy_salad 15 May 2014 15:47:48 735 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Reallysorry wrote:
    I'm told some of the characters who were created for the show are now appearing in the novels which is a bit mental.
    I'm pretty sure that's not happened. I can't think of any TV characters who have shown up in the comics. There was rumours of putting Daryl into the comic, but that hasn't happened.
  • HelloNo 16 Jun 2014 15:44:14 1,226 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Where's a good place to start with the Thor comics?
  • nickthegun 16 Jun 2014 16:49:04 61,039 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The new (ish) Thor: God of Thunder run is as good a place as any, I would think. I didnt used to be a big fan, but the god butcher run and the one ofter that are really good. The god butcher storyline in particular is great and the art is absolutely jaw dropping.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Singularity 16 Jun 2014 18:18:17 2,460 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yep, God of Thunder is great. Also, EG's own Keiron Gillen's run on Mighty Thor was right up there.
  • Page

of 66 First / Last