of 66 First / Last

• morriss 8 May 2013 22:30:00 70,990 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    :D
  • INSOMANiAC 9 May 2013 10:37:54 3,829 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone read 'colder'? pretty good, loved the art style.

Getting stuck into 'Revival' and 'Preacher' at the moment.

Really enjoying revival and Preacher has made me laugh out loud on a couple of ocassions despite my reservations about it, that is one bat-shit crazy storyline they've got going on there!

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• heavy_salad 9 May 2013 18:46:49 723 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @INSOMANiAC Hawkeye, Saga, Fatale, Chew.
  • INSOMANiAC 9 May 2013 19:17:19 3,829 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ive read Hawkeye, very enjoyable I'll take a look at the other when Ive got through this 100 or so Preachers, cheers

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• INSOMANiAC 10 May 2013 13:45:59 3,829 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm up to date on Revival, it is very good, a nice change of pace from most, although I suspect there might be a lot of violence to come, they're building up to something big there I feel.

Trawling through the new adventures of Batman (just after year one). Nice to go back to Batman before it was all dark and moody for a bit. You know, when it was Robin who solved every single one of the clues that every single baddy would leave, just before being totally shocked when the Caped Crusaders arrive on the crime scene, ha.

Loving how Jason Todd took over from Dick over the space of two comics and was straight into the action. Imagine nowadays, that would have been a 40 comic storyline spread over 8 different characters comics. Ah, the good old days!

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 13:46:15 10-05-2013

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• binky Moderator 10 May 2013 15:57:41 9,634 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hey guys,
    Can anyone give any recommendations for stuff similar to Scott Pilgrim? I've really been enjoying (slowly) reading through the series and I'm nearly at the end. Cheers in advance.
  • nickthegun 10 May 2013 17:07:10 59,940 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Uhm... Empowered?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Empowered-Volume-1-Adam-Warren/dp/159307672X/

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• spamdangled 10 May 2013 21:42:44 27,355 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Marvel ultimate graphic novel collection seems to be nearing its end now, if the near-completed spine montage is anything to go by. Really hope they follow it with a DC collection.

I've pretty much stopped buying marvel and dc comics now as their modern output is so patchy (especially Marvel now that theyve gone back to the annual event cycle in the last 5 years or so). Reading those collections though really makes you nostalgic for when mainstream superhero comics were frequently amazing and groundbreaking though. I've read so much stuff that I would have traditionally avoided which I have ended up being really impressed by.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• INSOMANiAC 11 May 2013 13:11:26 3,829 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've got to tell anyone who hasn't, you HAVE to read 'preacher' it's simply the best comic I've ever read. Ver very funny, decent art and an incredibly mental plot, don't find anything out about it it'll spoil it, just buy it and love it!

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• morriss 11 May 2013 17:28:34 70,990 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Except Powers massively suffered and got hugely delayed because of his other responsibilities, and ended up being shit and fizzling out. Not to mention the total lack of other awesome noir stuff that he used to be so prolific with.

And yes AV is great and it's a real shame what's happening to it.
    https://twitter.com/f_francavilla/status/333255473916682241/photo/1
  • khaz 11 May 2013 18:27:20 2,786 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This American Vampire is unknown to me!

Snyder? AWE!

/grabs

Btw morriss, you still accepting articles for your website?

Edited by khaz at 18:33:19 11-05-2013
  • morriss 11 May 2013 18:34:37 70,990 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    yeah. Website's a bit dormant, atm. but it would be great with some new content. All my spare time is going into LotrO, atm.
  • khaz 11 May 2013 18:35:45 2,786 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm a bit busy with job interviews atm but will try and have something for you in a week or two.
  • morriss 11 May 2013 18:38:29 70,990 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    cool. that'd be great. I must write something myself, actually.
  • morriss 13 May 2013 12:37:43 70,990 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Frank Miller's Robocop - http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/05/13/frank-millers-robocop-comes-to-boom/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
  • markini6 14 May 2013 03:19:45 8 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    binky wrote:
    Hey guys,
    Can anyone give any recommendations for stuff similar to Scott Pilgrim? I've really been enjoying (slowly) reading through the series and I'm nearly at the end. Cheers in advance.
    You should definitely check out "King City" if you liked Scott Pilgrim.
  • khaz 14 May 2013 05:58:46 2,786 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Frank Miller's Robocop - http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/05/13/frank-millers-robocop-comes-to-boom/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
    Robocop - good. Always loved the character.

Frank Miller - not so much. Has he done anything half decent in the last decade? 15 years? But it is the original script from a time when he was actually writing good stuff so should be good.

Edited by khaz at 06:01:40 14-05-2013
  • LeoliansBro 14 Jun 2013 10:24:55 44,246 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Intriguing.

Batman Begins wasn't that successful, Superman Returns made more money (as did both Burton films and Batman Forever).

Iron Man went stratospheric after The Avengers.

The most successful DC film was the original Superman, all the way through to The Dark Knight.

More people watched Fantastic Four than Superman 2.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 10:29:23 14-06-2013

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• nickthegun 14 Jun 2013 10:32:16 59,940 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its a weird one, as that chart shows. Outside of Batman and Superman, DCs superhero cast are completely gay and would and do make for shitty movies, whereas marvels hero properties seem to transport pretty well.

On the flip side, and this is an area DC are really strong, is that they have an absolute ton of excellent non-hero stuff that they could and should be exploiting. Red and The Losers were just shitty action movies, but the vertigo line itself is just waiting to be exploited.

Speaking of which 'A History of Violence' is missing off that list.

• LeoliansBro 14 Jun 2013 10:45:33 44,246 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah there are a couple of gaps. Weird that Green Lantern made more money than Watchmen.

• nickthegun 14 Jun 2013 10:47:29 59,940 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Green Latern was pushed like nobodies business because it was pretty much a sink or swim for them getting the B-Team into the movies.

• LeoliansBro 14 Jun 2013 10:49:55 44,246 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And Marvel reboots aren't working. Xmen First Class and The Amazing Spiderman both produced the worst returns for that franchise.

• nickthegun 14 Jun 2013 10:54:18 59,940 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The common theme with that is that they were both outside of the universe *everyone* now accepts as the core marvel film continuity, which is why Mark Millar has been drafted by Fox to create them a 'universe' for their marvel characters.

Poor Spider-Man is still sat out there on his own, though.

(also, the new spider-man movie was shit, which didnt help)

• LeoliansBro 14 Jun 2013 11:05:30 44,246 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah DC superhero films have really lost their way, especially if Man of Steel is as meh as everyone is saying. DC peaked with Dark Knight (I would say peaked with Begins), too early to tell with Marvel whether TAS is a misstep or the first symptom of the rot setting in and them following a similar path.

• morriss 5 Jul 2013 18:15:20 70,990 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My comics just arrived. Great month this month. Unchained, Year Zero, Brother Lono, Star Wars and Powers. 'kin win.
  • morriss 7 Jul 2013 20:10:49 70,990 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone reading Snyder's The Wake?
  • spamdangled 24 Jul 2013 23:17:35 27,355 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I see that Fox are following up X-Men: Days of Future Past with an X-Force movie. Could be interesting, depending on the line-up. Cable is probably out given the film continuity (unless they substantially alter him), so the closest bet is possibly Bishop, who's one of the main characters in DOFP. They've said there's going to be five team members, which is about right. I'm guessing there will be a blend of original (90s Liefeld) and modern (Rick Remender) members there, with at least one well-established name from the existing franchise to give it Box Office draw. My bets are on Bishop, Wolverine, Cannonball, Psylocke and Domino.

Might be the film to finally give us Apocalypse on the big screen too.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 6 Aug 2013 07:26:32 27,355 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Through a deeper exploration of the work of writers on Comic Book Resources, I've come across a complete retrospective of Alan Moore's career, with every single run from Miracleman to Necronomicon taken apart and analysed (find it here). It's very interesting reading, not least some of the more atypical work that Moore did for Image in the 90s, much of which I'd completely forgotten about - his work on Spawn, for example. I recommend it for people who think that Moore is "just" his work on Watchmen, V for Vendetta, From Hell or Top 10 (the last being a book which I've always thought is often unfairly overlooked or unknown).

In other comics-related reading material, UncannyXMen.net are currently in the middle of their Wolverine event month, with a huge amount of issue synopses, character biographies, timelines, etc. The Wolverine bio is alone is impressively comprehensive, ignoring many of his minor appearances due to their lack of overall importance but taking into account many of the various mini-series over the years, everything from Giant Sized X-Men back in 1974 through to Wolverine and the X-Men and New Avengers. There's a particular amount of attention given to the Madripoor years, which is a good primer for people who are only aware of the character's background through the movies or the cartoon series.

I've also been re-reading Supergods by Grant Morrisson, which I'm enjoying an awful lot more than my initial reading and the insights it provides into the thought processes and life of Morrisson. A bit dense and indulgent at times (not least the amount of space given over to drug taking and thinly-veiled criticism/ dismissal of publishers' and artists' eras) but still a very interesting look into the head of one of the most important comic writers of the 20th and 21st centuries.

• Page

of 66 First / Last