The **OFFICIAL** Comics thread. Page 60

• Page

of 66 First / Last

• morriss 11 Mar 2013 14:20:06 70,997 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://bigstory.ap.org/article/batmans-mythology-getting-new-boost-dc

Batman's transformative years are getting a few new twists.

DC Entertainment is going back into Bruce Wayne's past to see how he began his transformation from wealthy socialite to the scourge of Gotham's criminal underworld.

Key elements of the character's history are staying the same ó the murder of Wayne's parents, for example ó says Scott Snyder, the writer of "Batman" since its relaunch debuted in 2011.

"It's not 'let's redo the origin,'" he said Monday. "It's time for a new story showing how Batman became who he is in the New 52."

Snyder said the decision grew out of the success of the first year-and-a-half of DC's New 52, a sweeping reorganization of the publisher's characters that saw many given new origins and costumes that blended those from their first appearances decades ago with contemporary changes.

Snyder said readers will see how the crime fighter found his calling and what challenges he faced when first donning the costume of the Dark Knight.

The augmented origin begins June in the pages of "Batman" in an 11-issue story called "The Zero Year" that is illustrated by Greg Capullo.

"We tried to preserve as much of Batman's history as we could and keep what we could of this history intact," Snyder said of the change. "It's 'The Zero Year,' the one that no one has told the story of before. We see how Bruce became the Batman, built the cave, faced off with his first super villain."

It's not so much an origin story as it is a view into Batman's formative years.

"We're not going to take apart 'Year One,'" Snyder said, referring to the Frank Miller-David Mazzucchelli four-issue arc that recounted how Wayne began to fight crime after years away.

Instead Snyder, an Eagle Award-winning writer whose other efforts for DC include "Swamp Thing" and "American Vampire," said the "Zero Year" story will give readers new glimpses into the Bob Kane-created character who made his first appearance in the pages of "Detective Comics" No. 27 in May 1939.

"It's time for a new story showing how Batman became who he is in the New 52," said Snyder. "It builds up the mythology."
  • senso-ji 11 Mar 2013 14:20:44 5,914 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It was 100 issues long. That's why I felt it dragged on too much - Azzarello seemed to stretch out the story across 100 issues when he clearly didn't have enough material for it. He should have just resolved the story naturally.
  • nickthegun 11 Mar 2013 14:29:55 59,950 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, basically, they are going to Batman Begins over eleven issues *twirls fingers in the air*?

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• morriss 11 Mar 2013 18:15:03 70,997 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I would be usually very cynical but Snyder's such a good writer I'm optimistic. In fact, he's not a goo writer he's a great one. Capullo's art is top drawer too. Can't wait.
  • khaz 12 Mar 2013 01:41:42 2,787 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Snyder? Batman origin?

Fuck yeah.
  • spamdangled 12 Mar 2013 02:20:06 27,355 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So Year one v2 then?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• morriss 15 Mar 2013 17:27:03 70,997 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ""We're not going to take apart 'Year One,'" Snyder said, referring to the Frank Miller-David Mazzucchelli four-issue arc that recounted how Wayne began to fight crime after years away."
  • Kostabi 15 Mar 2013 18:41:03 4,931 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Snyder writing about an inexperienced Batman could be all kinds of fun.
  • w00t 20 Mar 2013 11:10:44 11,120 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ant-Man clip from a showing last night - have a look before it's taken down.

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• GuiltySpark 20 Mar 2013 12:24:39 6,387 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    w00t wrote:
    Ant-Man clip from a showing last night - have a look before it's taken down.
    Not too sure about that.

Get bent.

• nickthegun 20 Mar 2013 12:35:17 59,950 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He looks like a red version of the ninja nazi in hellboy.

• morriss 3 Apr 2013 08:43:54 70,997 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Long read, but good read: Why Comics Have Failed to Achieve Real Respect

http://sequart.org/magazine/4079/why-comics-have-failed-to-achieve-real-respect/
  • nickthegun 3 Apr 2013 09:05:47 59,950 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its because 99% of comics are stupid. There, I saved him 1000 words.

• khaz 3 Apr 2013 09:51:38 2,787 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nick speaks the truth.
  • morriss 3 Apr 2013 14:51:51 70,997 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh well, don't read it, up to you. :)
  • nickthegun 3 Apr 2013 15:03:23 59,950 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I actually did and I thought it was pretty shit, to be honest. I dont agree with a lot of his points, certainly I dont think that comic readers coming to terms with their inner comic book guy is a problem and he doesnt touch on anything outside of the mainstream superhero market.

Also, its written like somebody asked JTN to write something about comics, full of inappropriately florid language and numerous uses of the word 'juxtaposition'.

Basically, people make fun of him for reading batman and its just not fair, dammit.

• morriss 3 Apr 2013 15:52:18 70,997 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • khaz 4 Apr 2013 13:47:35 2,787 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Again, like Nick i read the article and I can't take it seriously at all.

Comics are what they are. When people weren't fighting for comics to be taken seriously as an art form, millions of people were reading it. Now there's a few hundred thousand in the west.

Japan and some other Asian countries still have a very healthy readership but only because they accept comics for what they are, comics. If a work of art comes out of it, great. If it doesn't, it really doesn't matter.

There's no respect to be won or lost. I don't see why we should want a fucking justification or recognition for something that has validity and meaning in our lives. I couldn't give two shits beyond that.

tl;dr do you like comics? Yes? Awesome. No? That's fine too.

I can't stand operas and can't see it as art whatsoever but that won't stop others seeing it as an art form. So why should i care? The best works of art in my opinion are made when you don't give two shits about your audience but focus the entirety of your being on the work. It'll find an audience always. If its lucky enough to find a public recognition, even better.

A few comics have managed this so I don't know who these morons are who keep asking for comics to be accepted as an art form.

Edited by khaz at 13:50:04 04-04-2013
  • GuiltySpark 4 Apr 2013 14:01:50 6,387 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "But at the risk of sounding petulant, this isnít the kind of respect we wanted."

Second line, stopped reading after that. There are so many things wrong with that. Not least that it implies a separation between comic-readers and normos; a divide that if true, implies that we require respect from the 'other-side'.

I don't respect chumps who listen to Ne-Yo, why should they respect anything we do? Nerds are probably the most elitest group out there, myself included. It's not hard to understand why people don't want to read funny picture books.

Get bent.

• vandalhandle 4 Apr 2013 14:13:29 1 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Any one picking up the Punk Rock Jesus TPB?
  • senso-ji 6 Apr 2013 17:00:10 5,914 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've got the single issues of Punk Rock Jesus; fantastic story and art, great work overall by Sean Murphy, who doesn't seem to do much wrong.
  • kalel 10 Apr 2013 09:24:02 87,704 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fuck's sake. Apple have banned the latest issue of Saga from their apps as it has a gay sex scene in it, so I won't be able to get it through ComiXology.

Is that seriously ok? The amount of sex and violence that is in some of these comics and they ban one because of gayness? Surely that is discrimination?
  • nickthegun 10 Apr 2013 09:29:39 59,950 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If they let it through, it would discriminate against the thousands of right minded christians who wouldnt have bought it anyway.

It will be interesting to see how much of a dent that makes to the sales.

It is massively hypocritical though since, iirc, it showed in foul mouthed detail the conception of the baby in the last issue.

Edited by nickthegun at 09:31:05 10-04-2013

• kalel 10 Apr 2013 09:33:52 87,704 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's definitely other gay comics on there, I'm sure of it. There's gay sex in The Authority, Powers, The Boys, American Virgin and probably tons of other stuff I haven't read.

It seems very random.
  • nickthegun 10 Apr 2013 09:42:59 59,950 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, good point. Unless you actually see cocks going in and out, its got nothing on something like 'The Boys' where a Batman analogue sticks his thumb up someones arse while saying 'good soldier, good soldier'.

Also, I believe Crossed is available on comixology, which is probably the most hardcore thing ive read.

• kalel 10 Apr 2013 09:55:52 87,704 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmmm, ok, this is the offending panel (NSFW).

It's an interesting one. You won't even see it at first, but once you do, it is pretty graphic. I'm still fairly sure there's worse or at least comparable elsewhere on itunes. I believe you can download the film Brown Bunny for example, wich features genuine and totally visible oral sex.
  • khaz 10 Apr 2013 10:03:12 2,787 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There has got to be worse offenders than that on itunes.
  • nickthegun 10 Apr 2013 10:16:30 59,950 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I dunno. I certainly cant recall a comic that wasnt japanese that had a blowie in it.

Even The Boys and Crossed avoid showing boners. Mind, the offending boners are usually embedded in a dolphin or something, but thats the first thing ive seen like that in a mainstream comic.

While I dont agree with censoring it, having seen the panel, im not the slightest bit surprised.

• Spanky 10 Apr 2013 10:22:35 14,505 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is it some sort of easter egg blowjerb? Black Kiss 1 & 2 are full of tranny pumping decapitating extremes, but then I don't know if they're on Comixology. Bollocks anyway, if you want it they should have it, comic shops will have it and it was a mature readers title to begin with.

Plubs

• nickthegun 10 Apr 2013 10:24:47 59,950 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Those tellybots often show whats on their mind on the screens, so the gag is that the last thing that goes through his mind before death is gay sex.

• Page

of 66 First / Last