The **OFFICIAL** Comics thread. Page 49

• Page

of 65 First / Last

• Spanky 5 Dec 2012 21:09:58 14,448 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Go with the older avengers collections, with the classic teams. All new comics are targeted at emotionally retarded man-children, like morriss and mongo.
    Or stop being a nice 'uncle' and get him collected Judge Dredd collections. They're still amazing.

Personally i'd get him this.

Plubs

• spamdangled 5 Dec 2012 21:13:40 27,197 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Spanky wrote:
    Go with the older avengers collections, with the classic teams. All new comics are targeted at emotionally retarded man-children, like morriss and mongo.
    Or stop being a nice 'uncle' and get him collected Judge Dredd collections. They're still amazing.

Personally i'd get him this.
    Not sure if serious.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• figgis 5 Dec 2012 22:10:26 7,382 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Go with Spankys choice.
  • glo 5 Dec 2012 22:31:13 3,415 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Never mind an 11 year old, that looks a little hardcore for me, and i am 43.

On a more serious note, i found some marvel masterworks avengers collections. These seem to be coloured and reworked versions of the original comics. Anyone know if they are any good?
  • spamdangled 5 Dec 2012 22:37:56 27,197 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Masterworks are pretty good - think of them as duluxe versions of the Essentials reprints, presented in their original glory, or snapshots of the "golden era" of a particular writer/artist's run.

Regarding content, should be safe for an 11 year old but you may want to check to be on the safe side and to judge whether it might seem too dated/cheesy depending on the age of the reprinted material.

It's a shame the mum seems so averse to violence in any capacity (and the late timing) as something like the Marvel Graphic Novel Collection is a great way to give interested newcomers a treasure trove of delight - though it runs the gamut across the whole universe and eras in terms of selections.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Trafford 5 Dec 2012 23:04:29 5,270 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    figgis wrote:
    Go with Spankys choice.
    I just have, the artwork is very George & Lynn.
  • spamdangled 5 Dec 2012 23:44:33 27,197 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @glo

Try this as an Avengers-specific rough guide to where you might want to look:

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?166385-Avengers-Trades-amp-Hardcovers-(Questions-amp-Recommendations)/page1

Bear in mind that is adults asking adults for recommendations and so includes stuff that is both continuity heavy and/or violent, but there are some classics in there like Under Siege (assuming it is in print) which was a not too violent mid-80s arc with a laser-sharp focus on simply telling a bloody good story about villains taking the fight to the avengers' doorstep, as well as more cosmic, epic stuff like Operation Galactic Storm.

Failing that, somewhere in that entire Avengers sub-forum you are bound to find the answer to your question - the guys on cbr live and breathe comics.

• khaz 6 Dec 2012 07:18:26 2,573 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The guys on cbr scare me silly with their comic knowledge.

Still waiting to read your why marvel is better than DC ooh what have you controversial article darkmorgado!
  • morriss 6 Dec 2012 08:59:25 70,749 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    IGNs best of 2012 voting thingy: http://www.ign.com/wikis/best-of-2012/Comics
  • morriss 9 Dec 2012 20:29:54 70,749 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Miracleman is good, yo. As is powers.
  • kalel 10 Dec 2012 11:31:37 83,875 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yup.

Anyone reading any of these Before Watchmen things? I hate the idea of them and yet I can't help myself. Started reading the Comedian ones and bought a few of the Rorsach series as well. So far not bad, despite the pointlessness.
  • nickthegun 10 Dec 2012 11:39:24 55,852 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I read the Rorschach one because it was supposed to be quite decent but havent been arsed with any of the others.

As you say, it was OK, but it was a bit of a tap in since he was the best, most fleshed out character in the entire series.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• kalel 10 Dec 2012 11:47:44 83,875 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The whole concept of prequels seriously needs to be reconsidered. They are almost without exception pointless.

The only one with any real value that I can think of is Godfather II, but even that isn't strictly a prequel and it's half and half, and the whole point is the mirroring. Pure "this is the story that will end up in a place you already know" prequel storytelling does not work.
  • nickthegun 10 Dec 2012 11:52:45 55,852 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ive probably moaned about them many times on here, but I absolutely hate prequels, they are a real pet hate of mine.

I would always rather see the story advance rather than regress, mainly because you know how the story is going to end, so there is no emotional involvement and its always hamstrung by having to pander to canon.

I would have got on board with an 'after watchmen', set after the vagina squid attacked but fuck prequels in the ear, frankly.

He totally called it

• GuiltySpark 10 Dec 2012 12:00:26 6,281 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Prequels are just lazy. Plus you are essentially retconning everything, which is never good.

Get bent.

• nickthegun 10 Dec 2012 12:13:19 55,852 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They are an incredibly easy target, but the star wars prequels are the absolute definition of everything the is wrong with a prequel.

Most notably at the end during the five minute 'link' sequence between the prequels and the OT. Utterly awful and pointless.

He totally called it

• Deleted user 10 December 2012 12:13:39
    Prequels are generally shit because the first story is the one the author wanted to tell, anything done after that which isn't a sequel is always a cash in or fan service. I can't think of one instance where that isn't the case.

As you say, Godfather 2 isn't really a prequel, it's a different way of explaining Pacino's development.
  • GuiltySpark 10 Dec 2012 12:14:58 6,281 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    They are an incredibly easy target, but the star wars prequels are the absolute definition of everything the is wrong with a prequel.
    I'd agree on the execution, but I'd disagree if you're saying that they shouldn't have been made. There was definitely a story to tell there.

Get bent.

• GuiltySpark 10 Dec 2012 12:15:43 6,281 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What makes it worse with Watchmen is that the main series jumps about in time, important things were shown already.

Get bent.

• nickthegun 10 Dec 2012 12:17:04 55,852 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I would absolutely disagree with that. Vaders story was writ large in the OT. He fell and achieved redemption. It really didnt need expanding on any further and in doing so has destroyed vader as a character.

First a whiny little kid and then a whiny little adolescent who everyone was happy to see have his arms cut off.

He totally called it

• Deleted user 10 December 2012 12:18:22
    Even if it had been done well it didn't need to be told. Sometimes not knowing everything adds to the character/situation.
  • senso-ji 10 Dec 2012 12:25:48 5,314 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The only good prequel I've read in comics is Batman Year one. Everything else has been either unnecessary or rubbish. This watchmen stuff DC are doing is appalling in more ways than one.
  • kalel 10 Dec 2012 12:36:37 83,875 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    Even if it had been done well it didn't need to be told. Sometimes not knowing everything adds to the character/situation.
    This. There's often a story than can be told but doesn't mean it should. As nick says, we knew everything we needed to know about Vader. The prequels really couldn't add anything.
  • GuiltySpark 10 Dec 2012 12:40:05 6,281 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah, I guess the redemption arc was already in the trilogy, so I guess you're right.

Get bent.

• RyanDS 10 Dec 2012 12:42:59 8,699 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The whole concept of prequels seriously needs to be reconsidered. They are almost without exception pointless.

The only one with any real value that I can think of is Godfather II, but even that isn't strictly a prequel and it's half and half, and the whole point is the mirroring. Pure "this is the story that will end up in a place you already know" prequel storytelling does not work.
    The Baroque cycle by Neal Stephenson alone justifies the existance of prequels.

Saying that it is set 350 off years prior to the Cryptonomicon so hardly counts.

And it is not a comic.
  • kalel 10 Dec 2012 12:47:01 83,875 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'll take your word for it.
  • LeoliansBro 10 Dec 2012 12:49:51 41,865 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    X Men: First Class, although tonally different, horribly continuity-destroying and full of logical missteps and bonkers concepts, at least shows the merits of a prequel where the prequel itself is better than the original films.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• nickthegun 10 Dec 2012 12:52:23 55,852 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Who, whoa, whoa, lets not go crazy

He totally called it

• spamdangled 10 Dec 2012 12:53:47 27,197 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    First class is just as much a reboot as it is a prequel really. It doesn't fit easily into either category.

• kalel 10 Dec 2012 12:55:30 83,875 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah First Class is a reboot no? It certainly can't be a prequel to the previous films as the timing doesn't make sense, and various other issues.
  • Page

of 65 First / Last