Im getting fat.

  • Page

    of 3 First / Last

    Previous
  • CerealKey 12 Jul 2006 11:04:59 2,860 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Computers make you fat, stop using them.
  • reality_cheque 12 Jul 2006 11:05:31 7,487 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BGiE would probably say weight training.

    I personally don't have a fucking clue, because I'm still trying to put on weight :(

    *curses non fattening pies*
  • York 12 Jul 2006 11:05:36 8,667 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Subway diet.
  • Fat-Boy 12 Jul 2006 11:06:44 4,300 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    /throws Ja$on a pair of his 36 waist jeans.

    You'll end up needing these soon. Hit the salad now! Stat!

    Remember that diet is as important as exercise, you can run as much as you like and not lose any weight if you're still shovelling deep fried this and takeaway that into your gob.
  • Stickman 12 Jul 2006 11:06:56 29,422 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Eat 2500 (ish) calories a day. Do some form of exercise.

    Its easy.

    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

  • reality_cheque 12 Jul 2006 11:08:32 7,487 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    York wrote:
    Subway diet.
    Is that "go and live in the subway like a hobo"?

    I do have one way to lose weight, that cannot fail... eat nothing but weetabix and breaded chicken products.
  • Fat-Boy 12 Jul 2006 11:10:02 4,300 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    Eat 2500 (ish) calories a day. Do some form of exercise.

    Its easy.

    2500 calories a day will maintain your current weight, so you'll only be losing weight via the exercise. Try 1500 calories. You can actually still eat quite a bit just by swapping certain stuff for something else.
  • Lutz 12 Jul 2006 11:13:00 48,854 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JA$ON wrote:
    Fuck it, im starving myself for a bit.
    Worst thing to do.

    Just cut back your intake of food. Eat the same amount of meals, just have smaller portions.
  • CerealKey 12 Jul 2006 11:13:08 2,860 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You could pick up an aerobics video and do it for half an hour or an hour everyday.
  • Deleted user 12 July 2006 11:13:48
    Have a normal brekfast then after that chicken and brocolli for a few days nothing more and dont eat after 7pm.

    I promise you loose weight this way. not the most heathyiest way to loose weight but it certainly wont do you any harm. Then return to normal clean eatting.

    Currently on my way to beach 6pack abs!
  • Stickman 12 Jul 2006 11:15:55 29,422 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's no need for fad diets of any kind. Just eat properly. Eat decent portions. Do some exercise. Lose the weight gradually, and you'll be much healthier for it.

    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

  • mr_steve100 12 Jul 2006 11:20:10 1,238 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ever considered that you might just be growing larger in general?

    Except for the potbelly, unless that's genetic ;)

    Like they all say, exercise and good food. Although, you don't want to look like Posh though, otherwise you'll have to go back to the Boys section for clothing...
  • souljah 12 Jul 2006 11:21:01 4,701 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Get yourself some aides.

    Aides can greatly help you to lose fat, its just a question of whether you want to pay the cost for the weight loss.
  • Deleted user 12 July 2006 11:22:08
    JA$ON wrote:
    Fuck it, im starving myself for a bit.
    By doing that your energy levels and metabolism will both drop like a stone, and you won't loose weight very quickly if at all.

    Eat around 1500 calories a day and exercise 3 times a week for half an hour and you will loose weight. 4 words:

    Eat right, work out.

    www.intenseworkout.com was very good motivation for me - I don't take it as gospel but the principles are sound as a pound.
  • glaeken 12 Jul 2006 11:25:07 10,978 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JA$ON wrote:
    Fuck it, im starving myself for a bit.

    Certainly not a good idea. The body's reaction to starvation is to start storing more body fat.

    You should start doing crunches. Do 50 a day from now on and your waist should shrink back down. These won't get rid of body fat on their own but will tighter the stomach muscles back up and so reduce the waist size due to less sagging.
  • Dexter 12 Jul 2006 11:27:52 1,060 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    jamesphilp wrote:
    www.intense-workout.com was very good motivation for me - I don't take it as gospel but the principles are sound as a pound.
  • Deleted user 12 July 2006 11:44:26
    glaeken wrote:
    should start doing crunches. Do 50 a day from now on and your waist should shrink back down. These won't get rid of body fat on their own but will tighter the stomach muscles back up and so reduce the waist size due to less sagging.
    Sorry, but his is not true.
    Crunches will serve to pump up your midriff, and will certainly not burn enough calories to make a noticable difference to your body fat level.
    You CANNOT target areas of where fat is stored by working the muscles near that area - it simply isn't the way the body works. look here
    Ever seen a distance runner with a belly? - No of course not. While running you are constantly using your 'core' muscles to keep balance, and thus your midriff gets a good excersise when running.

    If you wanna pump up your stomach (or strengthen it) then do squats and their variations.

    If you have even a thin layer of fat over your stomach all crunches will do is make you look fatter, as the muscles underneith the fat get larger and push the fatty bit out more.

    Oh the number of plump idiots I see in the gym constantly doing abs stuff and not getting any results. I think "get on the cardio machine you idiot and do a fat burning routine".

    All this stuff is explained on that website I (incorrectly) mentioned. - Cheers for the fix BTW. :)

    As a bit of background I have lost 3 stone total over the last 8 months, 2 in 2 months last year (went hardcore like hypernova but didn't "cheat" at weekends).

    I now gym 2-3 times a week, running ~5 miles and doing bike/stepper too. I eat a light lunch most days (cottage cheese & salad) a normal dinner (though this would be what to cut down on if I wanted to loose weight more quickly).

    My goal is to loose around another 5lbs. I have done what I like at weekends recently, especially due to the BBQ/footie season, have drunk loads of beer, had loads of BBQs etc, but my regime in the week (gym, diet) has meant I have still lost a couple of lbs during this period.

    Edited by jamesphilp at 11:47:05 12-07-2006
  • Genji 12 Jul 2006 12:03:44 19,691 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah. I've never really had a weight problem, but then I run about 7km a day. Long distance running is a huge weight-killer - my dad only got fatter after he gave it up.
  • Deleted user 12 July 2006 12:05:33
    JA$ON, try doing Tai Chi or Yoga if it's available in your area. This will do the majority of your weight loss for you, and tone up your muscles like crazy.

    Then, walk to work/the shops/the cinema/whatever is walkable. Walk to a bus-stop further down the road. Walk up and down stairs, never use lifts. There's a lot of exercise in your life already that you might be avoiding. Good luck.
  • pistol 12 Jul 2006 12:10:50 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JA$ON wrote:
    I was a 30waist last year, now im a 32 waist. i have developed this pot belly, and im not to fucking happy about it. whats the best way to get rid of it? starve myself for 2 weeks? or go running.

    What's your diet like and how much, if any, exercise do you do?

    You're obviously eating/drinking too many calories and not burning them off (I was thinking more about the pot belly comment).

    If you're just trying to lose weight and not build muscle or tone, it really doesn't matter what form of exercise you do, as long as it's areobic. Do something that get's your heart-rate up for at least 20 minutes a day and be a bit more careful about what you eat. It'll soon drop off. You've just got to be dedicated, at least in the beginning.
  • pistol 12 Jul 2006 12:13:30 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JA$ON wrote:
    Fuck it, im starving myself for a bit.

    If you do lose any weight by starving yourself it won't stay off and you'll be back to square one when you start eating again. You have to change your eating habits for good. There's no other way.
  • Deleted user 12 July 2006 12:16:09
    I've noticed myself putting on the pounds and I know why - alcohol, lack of exercise and a bit too much pizza...

    I tend to drink either 4 or 5 bottles of wine a week, or around 20 tinnies of Kronenbourg... I get the bus everywhere, even though work is 30-40 minutes walk away (10 minutes on the bus)... I sit on my arse doing Photoshop or Xbox 360 when I have time off... I stay up way too late... I eat quite late in the evening... I've eaten a pizza a week, on average, for the last 3 or 4 years... My job involves standing up all day but it's not THAT physical except for when I use a handheld camera, which is a couple of times a week, for a full day each time.


    18 months ago people thought I looked a bit skeletal around the face. I'm not FAT but I'm getting there. And I have a beerbelly. :(
  • pistol 12 Jul 2006 12:18:04 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    jamesphilp wrote:
    glaeken wrote:
    should start doing crunches. Do 50 a day from now on and your waist should shrink back down. These won't get rid of body fat on their own but will tighter the stomach muscles back up and so reduce the waist size due to less sagging.
    Sorry, but his is not true.
    Crunches will serve to pump up your midriff, and will certainly not burn enough calories to make a noticable difference to your body fat level.
    You CANNOT target areas of where fat is stored by working the muscles near that area - it simply isn't the way the body works. look here
    Ever seen a distance runner with a belly? - No of course not. While running you are constantly using your 'core' muscles to keep balance, and thus your midriff gets a good excersise when running.

    If you wanna pump up your stomach (or strengthen it) then do squats and their variations.

    If you have even a thin layer of fat over your stomach all crunches will do is make you look fatter, as the muscles underneith the fat get larger and push the fatty bit out more.

    Oh the number of plump idiots I see in the gym constantly doing abs stuff and not getting any results. I think "get on the cardio machine you idiot and do a fat burning routine".

    All this stuff is explained on that website I (incorrectly) mentioned. - Cheers for the fix BTW. :)

    As a bit of background I have lost 3 stone total over the last 8 months, 2 in 2 months last year (went hardcore like hypernova but didn't "cheat" at weekends).

    I now gym 2-3 times a week, running ~5 miles and doing bike/stepper too. I eat a light lunch most days (cottage cheese & salad) a normal dinner (though this would be what to cut down on if I wanted to loose weight more quickly).

    My goal is to loose around another 5lbs. I have done what I like at weekends recently, especially due to the BBQ/footie season, have drunk loads of beer, had loads of BBQs etc, but my regime in the week (gym, diet) has meant I have still lost a couple of lbs during this period.

    Edited by jamesphilp at 11:47:05 12-07-2006

    Totally agree with this. In a past life I was massively into bodybuilding and spent a lot of time training with competitive bodybuilders both off season and the weeks leading up to a show. Most of the guys I know wouldn't even touch ab exercises until maybe right at the end because their strict dieting & cardi work would shed most of the bodyfat. don't waste time doing ab exercises until you've got your diet right.
  • Bertie Senior Staff Writer, Eurogamer.net 12 Jul 2006 12:23:06 1,749 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jamesphilp is saying it all really. The best way to lose weight and shape your body the way you want it is to start doing both aerobic exercise and weight-training. Patience is pretty key, don't expect anything fast. Do what's right for you, have an idea of where you want to get to (and maintain) rather than having your mind changed by other people's physiques every other day.

    Keeping in shape is difficult, otherwise no one would ever complain about it, but it's not as hard as it seems. You've just got to get out there and do it, work it into a routine. Do your homework, put the effort in, and soon you'll wonder why you didn't do it ages ago.

    Also, like people have been pointing out, diet is half the battle. 5 light meals a day will keep your metabolism going, thus burning calories/fat. Eat healthy, avoid stuffing in carbohydrate-heavy meals towards the end of the day (builds up energy you don't really need to go to bed), and drink lots of water.

    The quicker you try to lose weight, the quicker it will pile back on. Take it step by step, make permanent changes rather than starving yourself for a while, or becoming marathon man for a month.

    Muscle burns calories/fat almost all of the time, and gives you a good shape for when you get rid of the fat. Remember that the fat that's last to go is that around your stomach, it's why a six-pack is pretty rare. It doesn't matter how big your ab muscles are, if there's fat in the way, you won't see them. Lots of situps will increase waist size, like jamesphilp says, and if you hit your obliques (they run down the side of your lower torso), you can increase your width too. That said, if you have a low bodyfat percentage and are starting to see your abs, doing stomach exercises can give you definition for that elusive look.

    Oh hrm, I'm getting carried away again.

    Just to reiterate, the idea of starving yourself to lose weight is stupid.
  • StixxUK 12 Jul 2006 23:40:34 7,173 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Lots of general exercise and regular, healthy meals = less fat.

    By the way, 32" waist can hardly be considered fat unless you're a 5 foot tall 10-year-old or something. I'm 6' with a 32" waist and am most definitely not fat
  • The-Bodybuilder 12 Jul 2006 23:53:37 13,635 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fat Boy wrote:
    Stickman wrote:
    Eat 2500 (ish) calories a day. Do some form of exercise.

    Its easy.

    2500 calories a day will maintain your current weight, so you'll only be losing weight via the exercise. Try 1500 calories. You can actually still eat quite a bit just by swapping certain stuff for something else.

    How are people giving him calorie reccomendations without even knowing his weight?(Lets along Body mass, activity level, metabolic rate, energy expenditure, e.t.c).

    Yes, the FDA guidelines are quite rubbish (for everything), but it's better than nothing I guess.

    jamesphilp wrote:
    JA$ON wrote:
    Fuck it, im starving myself for a bit.
    By doing that your energy levels and metabolism will both drop like a stone, and you won't loose weight very quickly if at all.

    Not to talk about the rebound effect. Many people don't realise sumo wreslters eat only one giant meal a day.

    Start weight training (increases expenditure, raises metabolism and added muscle mass requires more energy meaning a greater resting metabolic rate).
    Do your "aerobics" (I hate that word and it's omnipresence in the industry. Keep it away from athletic training) in the morning 1 hour AFTER a high protein & fat (the good kind, like omega monosaturate, e.t.c, from fish and olive oil) low carbs meal.

    Split your 3 daily meals into 6, eating around every2-3 hours. Keeps nitrogen balance in check and prevents the body from going into a catabolic state.
    Get GOOD SLEEP (I cannot stress how important this is).

    I would go into macronutrient timing, but I'm 99% sure you won't follow it (which is a shame as it's the most effective and optimal way for nutrition).
  • Razz 12 Jul 2006 23:56:03 60,031 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What is categorised as a good nights sleep? 5-6 Hours? 7?

    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

  • Khanivor 13 Jul 2006 00:07:14 39,907 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Go on the dole. The poverty diet means you still eat but not very much adn you can't afford to drive a car or take the bus so have to walk everywhere. Problem solved.

    Or you can realise that a 32" waist is pretty freaking normal unless you are a 12 year old dwarf.
  • The-Bodybuilder 13 Jul 2006 16:53:52 13,635 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    What is categorised as a good nights sleep? 5-6 Hours? 7?

    7 ATLEAST (and that's 7 repid-eye movements sleep. The deep kind). Don't go over 9 though.

    Edited by The Bodybuilder at 16:54:34 13-07-2006
  • w00t 13 Jul 2006 17:07:40 10,983 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Or you'll get Parkinsons.

    The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

    (the mic was OK in the end)

  • Page

    of 3 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply