Metroid Prime, OMFG! Page 10

• Page

of 13 First / Last

• SirScratchalot 4 Apr 2010 08:06:17 7,872 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I guess nothing is ever for everyone, his was my first Metroid so I didn't come with any preconceptions or any previous Metroid itches that I wanted scratching.
    I still think this game is right up there with System Shock or Planescape Torment.
    That is to say amazing my pants of, but it is also what it is.
  • Toonster 4 Apr 2010 08:08:30 6,821 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Couldn't get into Metroid Prime at first. Stopped playing, waited a year, then went back to it and WOW

Then my family moved to the States when I was halfway through it and I couldn't finish it off :(

I plan to get the trilogy.

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• Luckyjim 7 Apr 2010 12:22:45 2,831 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Toonster wrote:
    Couldn't get into Metroid Prime at first. Stopped playing, waited a year, then went back to it and WOW

Then my family moved to the States when I was halfway through it and I couldn't finish it off :(

I plan to get the trilogy.

The first one is still amazing. I enjoyed 2 and 3 (by any standard, they're still great games) but they are tarnished somewhat by not being Prime 1.
  • Raiko101 8 Apr 2010 04:59:17 5,523 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I absolutely loved Prime. I didn't think they could pull off Metroid in 1st person, but it works really well. I still prefer Super Metroid, but only just.

Anyone play Metroid Prime Hunters? Now there's a pile of turd, no matter what way you look at it.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Deleted user 17 April 2010 21:27:11
    Never played Hunters, but I seem to remember it was quite well received by the gaming community when it came out.
  • ProfessorLesser 18 Apr 2010 12:05:10 19,349 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No, it was fucking gash.
  • DFawkes 18 Apr 2010 14:03:38 22,049 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What was wrong with Hunters? It was all kinds of awesome. A little bit more shotting orientated, but it still had the exploration and stuff from the rest of the series.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• ProfessorLesser 18 Apr 2010 14:16:43 19,349 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    Yeah it was fucking gash!
    Oh what's that, you completely agree? Yeah it was gash :D
  • Huxamalay 19 Apr 2010 13:44:43 319 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Was just about to finish MP2 for the first time recently but my daughter deletes my save game to play Sonic Heroes :( FAIL

If she wasnt my child I would have kicked her through the wall.
  • DFawkes 19 Apr 2010 13:56:34 22,049 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    DFawkes wrote:
    Yeah it was fucking gash!
    Oh what's that, you completely agree? Yeah it was gash :D

I don't remember saying that, but that quote certainly has my name on it, so it must've been. Well, I have to disagree with DFawkes, the massive tosspot he clearly is.

Huxamalay, not a court in the land would convict you. Just make it a Japanese style paper wall though, don't want to edge up to manslaughter charges.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• mal 19 Apr 2010 14:05:48 21,930 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What a very odd turn this bump has taken.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Luckyjim 19 Apr 2010 14:30:31 2,831 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Huxamalay wrote:
    Was just about to finish MP2 for the first time recently but my daughter deletes my save game to play Sonic Heroes :( FAIL

If she wasnt my child I would have kicked her through the wall.

Put her up for adoption, maybe? I think, under the circumstances, the courts would sympathise. ;)
  • young_money 19 Apr 2010 19:42:11 203 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    add me to the list of people who played it about 2/3rds through then got stuck/stopped playing for some reason. i think i just couldn't be arsed with it at the time, i had just got my 1st job around that point and was discovering money and beer, and there was this point where i had to do a massive backtrack. i think i did it but then just stopped afterwards. still got the save file and i intend to beat it this year. ditto for Wind Waker (2/3rds through, got distractedby something else in my life and stopped).
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
  • Toonster 21 Jan 2011 23:53:58 6,821 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finally started this up again. The GF got me the Gamecube version for Chrimbo for a little less than 3 quid. Last time I played this, I got to the Phazon Mines for the first time, and then had to stop because my family was moving out. I hadn't gone back to it since.

It really does hold up. Quite well actually. The environments are a bit blockier than I remember, but still atmospheric and memorable. The music is amazing. Being 12 (or 13) the first time I played this, I didn't take too much interest in the soundtrack, but now I realize how subtle yet layered some of these tracks are.

Also, Baby Sheegoths and Metroids no longer make me shit my pants.

Just got the Ice Beam and now on my way back to Phendrana. I'm about 5-6 hours in, which is quite funny considering I had probably just beat the Flaagra at this time into the game the first time I played. I suppose I'm not as stupid as I used to be, thank god.

Anyway, brilliant so far. Even the backtracking doesn't bother me as much :)

Anybody else recently gone back to this? Reminiscing, anyone?

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• RedSparrows 22 Jan 2011 02:01:21 20,747 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm so tempted to pick up a cube again for this. One of the greatest games of all time.
  • Deleted user 22 January 2011 02:28:58
    I still haven't completed that last boss, now that you mention it...
  • mal 22 Jan 2011 03:32:19 21,930 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I still haven't passed the Omega Pirate :(

I never really got on with MP. I loved the first level after the space station with all the Chozo lore stuff providing tantalising glimpses of an epic storyline, but subsequent levels didn't maintain the narrative, getting progressively worse and less atmospheric. I can only assume they ran out of time.

I didn't really enjoy any of the boss battles to be honest - I found the controls a little bit fiddly. Omega Pirate really took the piss though - my right hand turned into a claw from having to maintain the right trigger to charge the beam.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• richarddavies 22 Jan 2011 10:06:24 2,572 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I couldn't get into it either. I just didn't get it. Was in a first person view but was too slow paced for a shooter and it had platforming elements that didn't work aswell because of the first person view. To be fair I did buy this again about 18 months ago with the intention og giving it another try because I don't think I got far enough in to give it a fair chance. When I rebought it though I just did the opening level then never touched it again. I'll dig it out when I can be arsed.
  • Luckyjim 22 Jan 2011 11:24:38 2,831 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    richarddavies wrote:
    I couldn't get into it either. I just didn't get it. Was in a first person view but was too slow paced for a shooter and it had platforming elements that didn't work aswell because of the first person view. To be fair I did buy this again about 18 months ago with the intention og giving it another try because I don't think I got far enough in to give it a fair chance. When I rebought it though I just did the opening level then never touched it again. I'll dig it out when I can be arsed.

Just like Super Metroid was neither a platformer nor sidescrolling shooter, Metroid Prime is neither a platformer nor FPS. You have to appreciate the middleground. That's why it's so great - exploration, atmosphere, puzzling, upgrading Samus, and the occasional bouts of action.

Still one of the all time great imho.
  • Picnic 23 Jan 2011 00:01:03 36 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The fact that it has a sci-fi setting put me off to start with as I hate all the sci-fi cliches. But Metroid Prime endeared itself to me for a number of reasons. 1) It was on the Gamecube. Nintendo bring a certain guarantee to their games that it will be a proper adventure, not just sci-fi showboating. 2) The morph ball quickly showed to me that this game was not just going to be ponderous (even though backtracking can be ponderous)- it could be fluid as well. 3) I doubt that I would have gained much pleasure from playing the SNES games as there many more platformers to play on the SNES and Megadrive but it became apparent that this was a game that was serious about platforming elements too which is great as it is my favourite genre. 4) It used classic platforming themes too like fire and ice worlds. 5) The music was beautiful. 6) Isolation rather than tacked on characters.

• Deleted user 8 February 2011 20:09:14
    I'm assuming you've all seen the design document for an unmade prime game?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=421019
  • SuperCoolEskimo 8 Feb 2011 20:21:13 9,527 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That sounds like a pretty neat idea for a game. Shame they didn't go ahead with it.
  • Deleted user 8 February 2011 20:31:57
    WHo said they didn't? :D
  • Page

of 13 First / Last