The Pirate Bay Thread Page 31

  • Page

    of 39 First / Last

  • Deleted user 3 May 2012 20:25:29
    Cinema!
  • Fake_Blood 3 May 2012 20:28:32 4,454 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anyone want to buy my wii?
    It comes with 253 games.
  • Deleted user 3 May 2012 21:41:31
    Khanivor wrote:
    I doubt I'll ever get over the way so many people feel that they are entitled to be entertained.
    I'll never get over how many obstacles companies put in between the purchaser and the product they want to buy
  • Deleted user 4 May 2012 13:30:11
    'it wont be used to infringe on other civil liberties '

    pffft...

    The bbc are running a story that the government are considering trying to turn porn off unless you explicitly opt in...

    lol, trying to shame us into not making the *activation* call.
  • Tonka 4 May 2012 14:23:24 21,354 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Heh.

    Seriously though, in what world is just acting as a middle man for illegal activity any kind of defense? Total nonsense. This is not an issue of freedom of speech and democracy. That's laughable.
    Sorry, completely missed this conversation.

    Right so the old pedo angle eh? Yep, it's a good argument and I hope I didn't give the impression of seeing the world in black and white.

    Here goes. I think that things that are illegal should be stopped at the root rather than the tail end. So go after the producers of pedostuff rather than the people providing a service that, amongst other things, can be used as a way to spread illegal material. If their sole purpose was to spread pedo stuff, sell drugs or show snuff videos then I wouldn't bat an eye if they were sent to jail.

    What TPB went to jail for is not whether or not the stuff that was spread was illegal or not. (most of it wasn't) It was the act of spreading it that was illegal.

    Pedo stuff can be found using google or I could put it right here on EG.

    So kalel, do you think the EG staff should go to jail because they have created a service that can be used to spread pedo shit.

    Like I said. It's not black and white. TPB have a shit name and I strongly believe they started for all the wrong reasons. But what they are trying to say is worth talking about.

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • Deleted user 4 May 2012 14:46:07
    Surely the argument there with your EG/Google comparison is 'intent'? EG isn't designed to facilitate the spreading of illegal material. TPB is, despite any claims to the contrary.
  • Ziz0u 4 May 2012 15:00:05 8,648 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    They just named themselves The Pirate Bay for funsies and had no intention of spreading pirated goods.
  • Deleted user 4 May 2012 15:08:27
    Why don't you just read through the thread Tonka rather than us all repeating the whole thing just for your benefit.
  • askew 4 May 2012 15:08:49 12,725 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They just arrrr.
  • THFourteen 4 May 2012 15:44:52 34,471 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    if they are not shutting the servers down, won't the pirate bay just come back as another web address?
  • Khanivor 4 May 2012 15:58:33 41,267 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    EuroPaedo.

    Has a nice ring to it.
  • monkehhh 4 May 2012 16:13:35 3,520 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @THFourteen Alternate links are already out there, tonnes of them.

    (eg. Virgin block www.thepiratebay.org but tpb.pirateparty.org.uk works fine)

    Edited by monkehhh at 16:14:32 04-05-2012
  • MrDigital 4 May 2012 17:08:42 1,870 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    In other news in Sweden...

    Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

  • Tonka 4 May 2012 17:27:06 21,354 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Surely the argument there with your EG/Google comparison is 'intent'? EG isn't designed to facilitate the spreading of illegal material. TPB is, despite any claims to the contrary.
    TPB isn't designed to spread illegal material though. Most of the material isn't illegal. The reason they went to jail isn't because of child porn or what not.

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • Deleted user 4 May 2012 17:34:13
    Tonka wrote:
    TPB isn't designed to spread illegal material though.
    It really is. Whether you think it -should- be illegal or not is irrelevant, it is. The reason they went to jail is for assisting copyright infringement. Material that you do not have a license to use is illegal. Hence how people caught are usually charged by cost-per-item downloaded, rather than an all-encompassing figure.

    I'll clarify my position - I don't really give much of a fuck about piracy, I download shit myself and will probably continue to do so. But I'm under no illusions that I have some moral or legal right to do so.

    Edited by meme at 17:35:39 04-05-2012
  • Tonka 4 May 2012 17:38:53 21,354 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm the same. What I'm saying is that Batman Begins isn't illegal. The act of spreading it is. Copyright infringement isn't the act of spreading illegal material, such as child porn.

    And kalel, once you have rinsed the sand out of you vagina, would you please just say whether or not EG should be held accountable for things posted on the forum.

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • Deleted user 4 May 2012 17:43:16
    Copyright infringement is the act of spreading material that has infringed on copyright - IE illegal.

    'Batman Begins' isn't something material. 'BatmanBegins-BRRIP-ReLOADED.mkv' is. Even if you own the BR release of that, technically you're not allowed to download a copy of it.

    And again, intent really matters here. You can't shut down Google or EG for people posting torrent links, or being able to find them in a Google search or whatever, because it's not what they were designed for. The comparisons with sites with no intent behind them is flawed to begin with, irrespective of the materials they're spreading.
  • Deleted user 4 May 2012 17:47:59
    I don't really understand the point of comparison. They're completely different things.

    Why don't you answer the question I asked previously in the thread which is a much better point of comparison - i.e. if there was a site exactly the same as Pirate Bay but specially for the posting of peadophile content (let's call ir Peado Bay), would you argue that it wasn't designed to spread peadophile content?
  • Tonka 4 May 2012 18:01:53 21,354 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Seriously kalel. Untwist those knickers and relax a bit.

    You are making up completely ridiculous examples and I'm asking a very real question. If there were any child porn on TPB I'd rather see the person responsible for posting it being hauled off to court than the guys (smug cunts though they are) that made TPB.

    So, how about it. Are EG responsible for what is posted on the forum?

    Meme, are all torrent links illegal?

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • Deleted user 4 May 2012 18:09:00
    Why are you putting it as a black-and-white 'only one can be arrested' thing? Surely both can?

    EG may be responsible for the forums, but I'm absolutely sure that if someone posted something illegal it would be swiftly removed. Therefore they demonstrated that A) they don't tolerate it and B) don't facilitate it.

    I don't understand what your question about torrent links has to do with anything either. It's literally the facilitation that's the question here. Some torrents being legitimate doesn't change the fact that TBP is almost wholly designed around sharing the ones that aren't.
  • Deleted user 4 May 2012 18:14:26
    Im with Kal. If the Pirate Bay stays then we need more kiddie porn on the net too.
  • Deleted user 4 May 2012 18:20:53
    I'm quite calm and happy thanks, you're the one that keeps being all unnecessarily personal, confrontational and offensive.

    As it happens yes, legally EG are at least partly responsible for what is posted on their forums, That's why they have moderators, and there have been cases of forum owners being done for slanderous and illegal content posted on their forums. As a forum owner myself it's something I know you have to be careful about.

    They can of course claim mitigation as it's unreasonable to expect forum owners to be responsible for every single post made, and that will be taken into account, but here's where the whole calling yourself "The Pirate Bay" becomes a problem.

    If for example EG was called "Euro-illegal-activity-discussion-place", they would find it much harder to argue that discussion about illegal activity wasn't their responsibility, as they would be seen to be actively encouraging it. And Pirate Bay blatantly encourage if not actually celebrate the sharing of pirated material. That it's whole point and essence. I literally can not fathom how you can say it "isn't designed to spread illegal material". It just so obviously is.

    As for my example, I'll explain as I did yesterday the purpose of why I'm asking that question. If you claim that Pirate Bay take absolutely no responsibility for what is posted on their site, then what difference does it make what that content is?

    YES, I understand that Batman Begins isn't illegal, but a pirate version of it is. As is child porn. YES I understand that child porn is much much worse, but that isn't the point. If you are saying that acting as a conduit for illegal pirated material is ok, then ipso facto you are saying that acting as a conduit for illegal child porno is ok, as your reason for thinking the first is ok is that the person in the middle takes no responsibility for the crime that has been committed, and that has to be true in both cases.

    Now tell me I have sand in my vagina again. It really helps your point.

    Edited by kalel at 18:23:39 04-05-2012
  • Stickman 4 May 2012 18:33:17 29,664 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kalel, just CALM THE FUCK DOWN!

    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

  • Psychotext 6 May 2012 01:31:18 55,032 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is it my imagination or is Virgin actually blocking the Pirate Bay IP addresses? That pirate party thing works fine, but the DNS fix is useless for the original addresses by virtue of the fact that even if you paste the IP address you go to the "blocked site" page.
  • Tonka 6 May 2012 09:40:40 21,354 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm just taking the opposite extreme for the sake of the argument.
    You say that applying the safe harbour thinking means I support child pornography. I say that if offering the means to enable the spreading of child pornography is punishable then surely the entire internet is illegal.

    Your peodo example is just as pointless in it's extremism as mine. But I strongly believe that mine is far more likely and therefoe I think it's more interesting to discuss.

    Anyone who paid the tiniest amount of attention to the SOPA/PIPA discussions could see that those laws would have outlawed EG. They would have stoped the spreading of child porn as well but that was not their main intention. I doubt that was even on their minds at all when they wrote the laws.

    I feel that talking about the peado angle as soon as TPB pops up shifts focus from a real problem to one that is virtually non existant (in the pirate bay example).

    Any attempt at writing a law to protect children should be focused on just that and not be writen by RIAA is what I'm trying to say. Any discussion about the free internet (and in extension general computing) is quickly quieted by the three horsmen of internet apocalypse, child porn, drugs and terrorism and I don't find that very productive.

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • Whizzo 6 May 2012 09:58:31 43,359 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Is it my imagination or is Virgin actually blocking the Pirate Bay IP addresses? That pirate party thing works fine, but the DNS fix is useless for the original addresses by virtue of the fact that even if you paste the IP address you go to the "blocked site" page.
    Yeah it's not a DNS block, I've been using OpenDNS over VM's for ages and you won't get to it.

    It actually looks like they're putting a bit of effort into blocking it, not that there's much point due to mirroring.

    This space left intentionally blank.

  • MrDigital 6 May 2012 10:17:51 1,870 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I downloaded TOR just in case they really start to crack down on TPB.

    Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

  • Dirtbox 6 May 2012 10:37:27 79,210 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • MrDigital 6 May 2012 10:47:45 1,870 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    What.
    Surely that wasn't complete gibberish? ;)

    I installed Tor on my computer so that if the blocking becomes more extreme (mirrors are taken down, other measures maybe) I will still have access to the website.

    Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

  • Dirtbox 6 May 2012 10:51:06 79,210 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You won't need to. The court order was to block thepiratebay.org, not every website in the world. It'll take them another 5 years of wrangling the legal system before the various mirrors are pulled as well.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • Page

    of 39 First / Last

Log in or register to reply