The Wire Page 4

• Page

of 56 First / Last

• UncleLou Moderator 27 Nov 2006 21:27:12 35,551 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I watched the first 8 episodes of series 1 now, it's really, really excellent. I love the, hm, sedateness of it all, if that makes sense. No hyperbole, no shaky cams and shallow action (as fun as all that can be), no overly clever, artificial storyline, just the cops and the gangsters doing their jobs, with great characters and dialogues.
  • UncleLou Moderator 29 Nov 2006 08:56:07 35,551 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Onyl 2 episodes left.

/has no self-discipline

Just as I was saying how relaxed the show is, it picks up the pace somewhat, and is even more awesome. :)
  • GingerMagician 5 Dec 2006 15:11:54 3,012 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone have any idea when season 4 is scheduled to air in the UK?

Seems ages since season 3 was shown (on FX) and can't really be bothered with all the farting around needed to "acquire" it from the web.

Also want to know when Sky are intending to show season 3 of Rescue Me, if anyone happens to know.
  • UncleLou Moderator 9 Dec 2006 12:14:38 35,551 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Woohoo, my season 2 just arrived.
  • GingerMagician 3 Jan 2007 15:58:25 3,012 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GingerMagician wrote:
    Anyone have any idea when season 4 is scheduled to air in the UK?

Seems ages since season 3 was shown (on FX) and can't really be bothered with all the farting around needed to "acquire" it from the web.

Also want to know when Sky are intending to show season 3 of Rescue Me, if anyone happens to know.
    Having finally got a response to the email I sent FX UK a few weeks back, I've got confirmation of when Season 4 finally airs in the UK:

Thank you for your email, and Happy New Year. The Wire season 4 will start its UK Premiere run on Tuesday 13th February at 10pm. You can catch a new episode at the same time each week, with a chance to catch up with the previous weeks episode at 9pm. I hope you enjoy!"

Get. In.

• GingerMagician 11 Jan 2007 11:17:05 3,012 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    For all those of you who have been waiting for the DVD boxsets to come down in price before getting into The Wire - the time has arrived.

Play have both season 1 and 2 on offer for 23.99, with a pre-order for season 3 available at a very reasonable 29.99.

With the UK season 4 premiere on FX rapidly approaching, there's never been a better time to get into what is, IMO, the finest TV series ever produced.

/is very excited about season 4
  • Whizzo 11 Jan 2007 11:35:47 43,115 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe finally pushed me to getting the first season from Play, I should be watching it over the weekend. Looks rather good.

This space left intentionally blank.

• GingerMagician 11 Jan 2007 11:42:07 3,012 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe finally pushed me to getting the first season from Play, I should be watching it over the weekend. Looks rather good.
    I saw Screenwipe the other day - Charlie Brooker always makes me laugh my arse off. Plus he's a gamer - top bloke.

When he talked about The Wire in the show, made me realise I'm looking forward to season 4 more than any movie (and, dare I say it, game) in 2007.

You won't regret it Whizzo - it really is superb stuff. Bear in mind that it will take you 2 or 3 episodes of season 1 to adjust to the pace of the show and the way it tells it's stories. Once you do though, you'll be totally hooked.

Edited by GingerMagician at 11:50:22 11-01-2007
  • THFourteen 11 Jan 2007 11:54:01 33,391 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    one more episode of series 4 to go. Great series, a bit predictable in places.

the characters are great in this.

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
  • GingerMagician 11 Jan 2007 12:02:14 3,012 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    one more episode of series 4 to go. Great series, a bit predictable in places.

the characters are great in this.

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
    La la la, I can't hear you....

/fingers in ears
  • Universal_Hamster 2 Feb 2007 09:10:25 4,948 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Play just sent me an email:
    "Your order for The Wire: Complete Season 3 Box Set (HBO) has been posted."

Yeeeeeess!!! Get in!!!!

/Runs around thread with shirt over head.
  • GingerMagician 13 Feb 2007 16:56:00 3,012 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tonight's the start of season 4 folks (10pm, FX). Even though there's three seasons already gone, this wouldn't be a bad place to start.

Can't pimp this show enough - truly great TV.
  • Universal_Hamster 13 Feb 2007 17:09:24 4,948 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just wish I didnt hate TV so much.

Roll on the DVD set! (In about 5 years)
  • GingerMagician 13 Feb 2007 17:10:48 3,012 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Universal Hamster wrote:
    I just wish I didnt hate TV so much.

Roll on the DVD set! (In about 5 years)
    Watched season 3 yet?
  • Universal_Hamster 13 Feb 2007 17:22:52 4,948 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yes indeed. Its a combination of superb and fantastic. Supertastic.

***Spoilers***

Its probably the most chin-stokingly interesting of the series. Dealing, as it is, in something that hasnt been done before. (IE: Hamsterdam) You gotta ask, would this work?

Lots of great character stuff too, as always, its impressive to see how the characters change and show new sides to themselves in relation to the theme of the season.
    The death of Stringer has got to be the most hair-raising moment I have ever seen in a TV show, felt very conflicted about it because he was an evil cunt, (Cant forgive him for Wallace and Dee) but he was helping to reform the drug trade somewhat... Sooo...

Too much great stuff to consider, I'll need to go back for another watch to pick up on more stuff. (As always with the wire!)

Btw, there is a superb interview with david simon on the HBO site (And iTunes), I suggest giving it a listen.
  • GingerMagician 13 Feb 2007 17:42:07 3,012 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There were big interviews with David Simon in both The Guardian and The Observer over the weekend. He's clearly very passionate (and angry) about the state of America and it's less fortunate citizens. Will look up the HBO clip though - I'm just devouring any snippet I can find about this show right now.

Great thing about the Hamsterdam story was when it all came out - not one of the cops had a good word to say about the results (which were pretty spectacular). All too busy covering their asses and trying to climb the ladder. The fact that a lot of the dealers are much more sympathetic characters than the police/politicians is one of the best elements of the show.

• UncleLou Moderator 13 Feb 2007 17:44:26 35,551 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Motherfucker! I forgot season 3 is out already.

/imports
  • UncleLou Moderator 21 Feb 2007 18:39:26 35,551 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Motherfucker! I forgot season 3 is out already.

/imports

Got it. Mwuahaha.
  • HankScorpio 26 Feb 2007 10:45:55 869 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just finished Season 2 this weekend, after cramming 25 episodes into 2 weeks. I don't want to read the rest of the thread for fears of spoilers, but this is easily the greatest cop show of all time, if not one of the greatest shows period. There's no hand holding, beautiful story arcs and the character development is outstanding.

Fave character? Gotta be Omar, who knew being both a gangsta and a homosexual could be so street?

Season 3 is on it's way - it can't come soon enough!

EDIT - SOMEONE NAME PLAGUEWIELDER TWO POSTS DOWN HAS DROPPED A HUGE SPOILER - TREAD CAREFULLY

Edited by Hank Scorpio at 08:41:32 01-03-2007
  • UncleLou Moderator 26 Feb 2007 11:03:19 35,551 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hank Scorpio wrote:

Fave character? Gotta be Omar, who knew being both a gangsta and a homosexual could be so street?

Agreed, a really top, genuine character. One of the (many) strengths of the show, how they avoid stereotypes.
  • figgis 26 Feb 2007 13:19:34 7,376 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Hank Scorpio wrote:

Agreed, a really top, genuine character. One of the (many) strengths of the show, how they avoid stereotypes.

Season three is where Omar comes into his own. I'm halfway through it at the mo. Bunks is my favorite character at the moment.

***PLAGUEWEILDERS SPOILER IS BOLLOCKS BTW***

Edited by figgis at 14:26:13 12-04-2007
  • UncleLou Moderator 26 Feb 2007 13:24:24 35,551 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The girl-friend took my newly bought, unwatched season 3 with her, I'll have to keep myself entertained with season 3 of The Shield in the meantime. :)

Shield quote: "If my tone sounds superior, it's because I am American, and you're Greek!". Priceless. :p

Edited by UncleLou at 13:24:49 26-02-2007
  • HankScorpio 26 Feb 2007 16:51:15 869 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Season 3 of The Shield is spectacular - the Money Train fall-out IIRC. My favourite Shield quote was Mackey to Aceveda back in Season 1 "Not today, not tomorrow, not even on Cinco de Mayo!"

• plaguewielder 26 Feb 2007 17:03:02 368 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    holy shit! omar died!
  • Huntcjna 26 Feb 2007 17:05:13 13,876 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    plaguewielder wrote:
    holy shit! omar died!

Congratulations for ruining this thread you complete cunt.
  • HankScorpio 1 Mar 2007 08:40:18 869 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Plaguewielder you absolute fucking idiot ... I was just coming in here to say that my thieving postie has robbed my series 3 boxset en route, I'll have to go out an buy it somewhere else today.
  • UncleLou Moderator 1 Mar 2007 09:09:07 35,551 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Plaguewielder doesn't strike me as the type of person who'd watch The Wire, to be honest. :p

Chances are good he just read the name and made something up.
  • Fozzie_bear 1 Mar 2007 09:18:04 15,530 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This weekend i'll be mostly watching.... Season 4 of t' Wire.

Incidentally - anyone know when the next series of The Shield starts? It's just too damn long a wait since the ending of Season 5.....

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• Universal_Hamster 1 Mar 2007 09:24:30 4,948 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can we get some mod-deletage for plaguewielder please?

Even if he is talking out of his arse, which is very likely.
    Having said that, its not just asshats on forums who spoil things. I had some of Season 3's most important events spoiled for me by Total Film's review.
    Asshats.
  • THFourteen 1 Mar 2007 09:39:33 33,391 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fozzie_bear wrote:
    This weekend i'll be mostly watching.... Season 4 of t' Wire.

Incidentally - anyone know when the next series of The Shield starts? It's just too damn long a wait since the ending of Season 5.....

tell me about it.

think its april.

• Page

of 56 First / Last