• morriss 13 Jul 2006 11:02:17 71,283 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wow.

Edited by morriss at 11:02:06 13-07-2006
  • jlaakso Producer, Remedy Entertainment 13 Jul 2006 12:21:41 32 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This is very high indeed on my want list, but every report is saying that the combat sucks, which doesn't bode well.

Well, I'm excited to get scifi-rpg-goodness from a capable studio, anyway. I just hope they aren't too caught up in Star Wars/Star Trek cliches and dare to do stuff differently.
  • pjmaybe 13 Jul 2006 12:23:05 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I couldn't do it to myself. Not after the disappointment of KOTOR 1, 2 and Jade Empire.

Peej
  • smoothpete 13 Jul 2006 12:24:08 31,709 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    jlaakso wrote:
    This is very high indeed on my want list, but every report is saying that the combat sucks, which doesn't bode well.
    Really? Got any links? To be fair most people thought the combat in Jade Empire was shit but I liked it. I'm trying to resist watching that video until I get home :)
  • TwistidChimp 13 Jul 2006 12:28:33 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    I couldn't do it to myself. Not after the disappointment of KOTOR 1, 2 and Jade Empire.

Peej

I know what you mean, although I really liked Kotor, I got tired of the corridor like level design of all 3 games. This really is sounding like a dream game for me, so long as its as open as I hope. If when you go to each planet there are only a handfull of locations you can land, and each one consists of the same corridor like layout (whether your outside or inside) then I wont be impressed.

Still I love the idea, plus the Foss like designs are winning me over. The Normandy just looks awsome.
  • Deleted user 13 July 2006 12:32:53
    Looks fantastic. KOTOR was a personal favourite so I avoided KOTOR2 and JE.

Can't wait for this,
  • oceanmotion 13 Jul 2006 12:36:38 16,088 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    boabg wrote:
    Looks fantastic. KOTOR was a personal favourite so I avoided KOTOR2 and JE.

Can't wait for this,

I avoided KOTOR2 & JE as well. Hoping this is more open and not a planet with a few corridors like someone said.
  • TwistidChimp 13 Jul 2006 12:38:58 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Woah, that video is definatley worth watching, the galaxy map looks awsome, the conversation system looks very cool. Lets just hope they've opened up the levels.
  • Deleted user 13 July 2006 12:59:09
    Is the video on Live! the same one as we just watched?
  • Yossarian 13 Jul 2006 18:56:19 8,411 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I dunno, lotta aliasing, lotta poor textures, lotta low-poly stuff, and the combat looks pish

plus there are bright reds and yellows and blues everywhere on the HUD. makes it look like My First RPG or something.
  • Calgon 13 Jul 2006 19:12:10 531 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yossarian wrote:
    I dunno, lotta aliasing, lotta poor textures, lotta low-poly stuff, and the combat looks pish

plus there are bright reds and yellows and blues everywhere on the HUD. makes it look like My First RPG or something.

Here we have an opinion of the completely clueless... or rabidly biased(PS3 fanboy?), at least he admitted he "Dunno", should have left it there because the rest is just nonsense. lol
    It looks stunning! UE3 FTW!
  • Khanivor 13 Jul 2006 19:33:54 41,119 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If Bioware can figure out how to have the depth of configuration and choice from a PC RPG and stick it on a console then we are laughing. After their last 3 console efforts you would hope they have finaly learned how to include depth and range on a console screen with limited controls.

For me KOTOR and JE were fairly souless, more like a conversation puzzle then an RPG. In other words, something that could easily be stripped of the graphics and reduced to a text parser. And when you have good graphics to aid in storytelling then the story can easily slip down the list of priorities, something I also felt was true of Bioware's console efforts.

Still, Mass Effect looks like the best hope for RPG goodness in the near future.
  • morriss 13 Jul 2006 19:38:48 71,283 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I adored KOTOR so I'm looking forward to this with bells on as this sounds much, much better.
  • Khanivor 13 Jul 2006 19:55:41 41,119 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    KOTOR was quite good but in comparrison to BG or even NN it pales. BG was Biwoare's high watermark and the simplification and subsequent consolification of their games has led to a reduced level of immersion and role-playing. They have improved the feeling of morality though, yet it's always defined by what Bioware have chosen as outcomes rather then the interplay of the player and the NPCs and the storyline.

The console presentation also makes the player very aware that each choice they make is a branch in a tree rather then an orgniacialy developing moss.

Saying that, at least they have nailed the speed of NPC voice delivery in JE. I cannot stand RPGs that take four times longer to speak the words then for me to read them.
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 13 Jul 2006 21:49:16 8,934 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I just saw the new trailer on Xbox Live... WOW. This game looks amazing.
  • UncleLou Moderator 13 Jul 2006 21:59:54 35,798 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just saw the video on EGTV - combat has nothing to with Baldur's Gate anymore, but a good real-time/action combat is better than the terrible Kotor combat, I guess.

Graphics look great, atmosphere too. Now, please, make the planets bigger than my bathroom. I want to explore stuff, not be stuck in a tiny corridor that pretends to be a vast wilderness.
  • HoraceGoesSquiffy 13 Jul 2006 22:18:43 1,563 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Funny how everybody's experience is different. I actually really got into the combat in kotor 1.

This is looking really nice. I still have a feeling it will still feel restrictive in scope as kotor did, but it does look very pretty. They do need to sort out their shadow algorythm though, looking at the one cast by the visor on the big lipped lady's face.

I'm actually quite excited, and that takes a lot these days.
  • TwistidChimp 13 Jul 2006 22:53:53 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, please, please, please Bioware, dont make it another corridor crawl. You obviously have the tech to make it alot more free roaming than kotor 1&2 & JE, so please do so. I'd be more than willing to take a graphical hit if it meant opening up the environments. If they couple those graphics and dialog system with BG style openess I'll be so thrilled.

Also I hope the robot stuff hinted at in the vid isn't as obvious a storyline as its hinting at being.
  • jlaakso Producer, Remedy Entertainment 14 Jul 2006 07:05:39 32 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Really? Got any links? To be fair most people thought the combat in Jade Empire was shit but I liked it. I'm trying to resist watching that video until I get home :)

No links, sorry. I believe that Edge and the Finnish mag Pelit were both worried about the combat.

I really liked both KOTOR's and Jade Empire's combat. KOTOR was much too easy, though.
  • Yossarian 14 Jul 2006 20:35:21 8,411 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Calgon wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Here we have an opinion of the completely clueless... or rabidly biased(PS3 fanboy?), at least he admitted he "Dunno", should have left it there because the rest is just nonsense. lol
    played and loved every major BioWare/Black Isle RPG, own an Xbox and an Xbox 360, but thanks
  • silentbob 14 Jul 2006 20:44:43 29,025 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Wow.

SKYBOX!!

..albeit a very nice one. :)

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Xerx3s 15 Jul 2006 15:00:48 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yossarian wrote:
    Calgon wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

played and loved every major BioWare/Black Isle RPG, own an Xbox and an Xbox 360, but thanks

Hmmm. I don't know why your called a fanboy, your points are a bit over the edge but still more or less true.

Mind you though, it is a "work in progress" and considering that this is E3 material, it is most likely from a stable build earlier this year. Things like self shading can be fixed.

But then again, this is their first 360 game so it will most likely be a 'learn on the fly' project in terms of what they can do and how to do it. I think that the sequel will look alot better than this (even though this looks very good in some places).
  • morriss 15 Jul 2006 15:16:41 71,283 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    Wow.

SKYBOX!!

..albeit a very nice one. :)

/is stupid

What's a skybox?
  • Retroid Moderator 15 Jul 2006 15:28:29 45,270 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    /is stupid

What's a skybox?
    /Thought everyone knew

;)
  • Teeth 15 Jul 2006 15:37:42 7,987 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Leader-1 wrote:
    silentbob wrote:
    SKYBOX!! ..albeit a very nice one. :)
    the lowres 2d background texture is very noticable in the trailer, aka demo walkthrough video, aswell. kind of weird they left it like that. but but early times for it still

video was fantastic as announced

I was mildly impressed that they had rows of vehicle lights moving around on it, but yeah it does look a bit flat. Just a cut scene though, in all probability. Next gen graphics ain't perfect after all, the player's character model they used in those vids has some backpack polys poking through his clothes and stuff too. Just like the disappearing food or popping LOD in Dead Rising, it's not going to matter when we're playing it.
  • Deleted user 15 July 2006 19:23:57
    Looks awesome, yeah. The video on Live looked excellent, although as always, the 480p versions look terrible.

The combat looks fine to me. More immediate and exciting than KOTOR.
  • Calgon 16 Jul 2006 14:15:37 531 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    lol ok perhaps ps3 fanboy was a bit harsh but it was still nonesense...
    a) The texture quality is varied at the moment, some look great, some not so great(theres many games in development that have the same problem, MGS4 for instance, these can be swapped out as the development progresses though)

b) low poly? people who think they can count the amount of polys on screen make me laugh(just dont bother, the only problem I have with that point is he suggested that the majority of the characters and enviroments ect are low poly... when he has no idea really)

c)lotta aliasing? well I didnt see lots of aliasing there but there deffinatley was some, it maybe that they havent used any AA, but it doesnt look like a major problem to begin with IMO(id still rather have it than not though).

d)"combat looks pish

plus there are bright reds and yellows and blues blah blah blah..." subjective! sounds like he's trying to be one of those scottish fellas from consolevania to me lol

I realise that he may be just giving opinions but it didnt quite look like it in places and its in contrast to the majority of the comments Ive read about the games visuals so far, so there you go really! I take back the fanboy comments though, now let us chill and play games instead of this nonesense :D \0/
  • GrayFox 1 Aug 2006 21:45:04 1,698 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    New screens. Maybe?
  • yiannis 1 Aug 2006 22:11:35 308 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Teeth wrote:
    Linear, all their games have been too linear.

insane.. you are insane :D

I don't know about you guys but i'd buy anything that comes from Bioware even if it was an RPG with the central character being a turd featuring its adventures towards the sea...

nuff said.
  • Page

of 101 First / Last