Anyone ever tried Scuba diving?

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous
  • Lexx87 24 Apr 2006 07:48:39 20,869 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I guess if most of you live in the UK the answer is probably no, but currently being in Australia i've had my chance to try it at the Great Barrier Reef, and LOVED it. I'm currently doing a course to become a certified diver (basically means I can scuba dive places alot cheaper, as I don't have need to have an instructor hold my hand).

Just curious to see if anyone else has done it and loved it as much as I do!

Speak the truth hussy!

• mentat 24 Apr 2006 08:21:28 5,613 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm completing my PADI open water diving course at the weekend... :D
  • The.PLB 24 Apr 2006 09:42:08 105 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yep, learnt to dive on the Barrier Reef then went to Jamaica, Maldives (twice), Dominican Republic, Italy ...

Much prefer warm weather diving, UK can be a bit cold unless you dry-suit dive.

My advice to you would be to get a digital camera and an underwater case. I've got some superb pictures in the Maldives and it's much cheaper than getting a real underwater camera !

Enjoy !
  • THFourteen 24 Apr 2006 09:44:23 32,856 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    yeah i'm a padi open water diver, learned it in the red sea!

problem is, after learning there, everywhere else i've been diving is dull and grey in comparision.

need to save enough money to go to australia and the great barrier reef one day.
  • glaeken 24 Apr 2006 09:52:22 11,086 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Done it quite a few times in Jamaica. It's great.

The feeling of not being attached to the surface is fantastic.
    It really is like being able to visit another world when you start swimming around a reef. I would certainly recommend anyone to try it.

Not sure I would want to do it in UK waters though.
  • tincanrocket 24 Apr 2006 09:54:39 2,897 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bill Door wrote:
    Apparently the Great Barrier Reef isn't all that, according to a chap at my club. He's got around 2,000 open water dives under his belt (not bad for someone who isn't a full time instructor!) and has dived pretty much everywhere in the world, including the Galapogos Islands :)

Lucky sod! Would love to dive the galapagos islands! One day....

Yep, I did the NAUI training in Africa a couple of years ago - bit more intensive than PADI, with more classroom training, but had some great instructors and plenty of emphasis on diving safety!

Diving is amazing... I have always liked the idea of things like yoga and meditation, but never had the skill or patience to do them properly - my first dive was my first moment of real meditation and I was hooked from that moment on.

/wants to go somewhere hot to dive and not be stuck behind a desk and in front of a computer :(
  • The_Aardvark 24 Apr 2006 09:58:15 3,063 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I did a NAUI open water course in Malawi, which was a great school but mediocre diving at best (fresh water) and A BSAC qualification in Thailand (which was so crowded it felt like diving in a traffic jam).

It's a really interesting feeling and definitely worth experiencing but I can't imagine it would be much fun around the UK (except for some very interesting wrecks).

It's a real ambition to do some night diving at some point and to see a wreck but god knows when. It's been such a long time that I'd probably need a refresher course before doing it again.

I really enjoy snorkelling with an underwater camera when I'm away. I saw a tiny shark and an equally tiny ray of some kind snorkelling off Malaysia.
  • gizmo 24 Apr 2006 09:59:47 2,025 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Done it and loved it. Although snorkelling in the right places can be almost as good.

Done it in Turkey, Anitgua, Maritius, Maldives. Personal favourite is the maldives - Very clear warm water, fantastic variety of sealife, great place anyway! A real highlight is swimming with the reef sharks - got some great underwater shots of them.

Closest you'll get to flying, I always think when you swim over a huge precipice.
  • Grump 24 Apr 2006 10:03:44 1,180 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tried it for the first time last year in the Maldives. One of the best experiences ever!
  • THFourteen 24 Apr 2006 10:11:17 32,856 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bill Door wrote:
    Apparently the Great Barrier Reef isn't all that, according to a chap at my club. He's got around 2,000 open water dives under his belt (not bad for someone who isn't a full time instructor!) and has dived pretty much everywhere in the world, including the Galapogos Islands :)

I suppose a lot of it depends on what you like seeing. A fair number of my club like wreck diving but if you're into fish or warm water I can see the appeal of Oz. Mind you, we saw sharks and turtles in El Hierro, which was nice :D
    I'd need to take a further diving course to do wrecks i think, unless they were really shallow.

hmmm skiing or diving! time to start booking my next holiday
  • Lexx87 24 Apr 2006 10:21:42 20,869 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm doing my PADI Open Water course at the moment, spent 6 hours in the swimming pool yesterday. Next weekend we practise what we learnt in the ocean over two more days and then i'll be a certified diver. Looking foward to it! I'm then going up to the Ningaloo Reef (it's near Perth on the west of Australia), which is ment to be one of the best in the world. Alot better than the Great Barrier.

I'd love to try Wreck diving so I may do a speciality in that afterwards. Of course i'm backpacking so any of that would kill my funds, my have to wait and see what the future holds.

Speak the truth hussy!

• brainbird 24 Apr 2006 10:44:59 2,209 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There was that time when I really loved diving (went through the PADI courses up to the Divemaster). Then, I got bored of all that equipment and the whole thing about being careful (not that it isn't important, an uncle of mine died in a diving accident!).

Or like Gizmo said:

gizmo wrote:
    Done it and loved it. Although snorkelling in the right places can be almost as good.

Snorkelling easily brings you down to 10-15 meters without special training. You just have to get used to it and you'll go deeper with every dive. It won't be exactly like Scuba diving, but I find it to be much more fun.
  • Scurrminator 24 Apr 2006 10:49:03 8,377 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I did it in Greece (Zante), water was crystal clear, really warm. Did it once for the training as id never done it before and then a shallow swim (about 4 metres i think) and then loved it so much went back and did an intermediate one which was a bit further out.
    Was amazing and given the chance again i'd do it in a heartbeat.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Grunk 24 Apr 2006 10:51:25 4,718 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Diving in Britain can be pretty good,

Lots of wrecks. Very eerie, a bit dim then a monstrosity of twisted metal looms out of the silted mist, swimming along with a sphere of visibility of about 5 metres, following the side of the hull until you find a man sized hole. A quick check with your buddy and then you disappear inside. Marvelous.
  • pistol 24 Apr 2006 11:31:55 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    I guess if most of you live in the UK the answer is probably no, but currently being in Australia i've had my chance to try it at the Great Barrier Reef, and LOVED it. I'm currently doing a course to become a certified diver (basically means I can scuba dive places alot cheaper, as I don't have need to have an instructor hold my hand).

Just curious to see if anyone else has done it and loved it as much as I do!

Yep. I was lucky enough to do a couple of dives in the Cayman Islands in January. The most amazing experience. Been told I've been spoilt for my first dive as The Cayman is pretty much the diving capital of the world. Also saw sharks, Stingray, Octopus, a giant eel and god knows how many beautifully coloured fish. Also went to Stringray city and played with them in the water.

Edited by pistol at 11:42:30 24-04-2006
  • pistol 27 Feb 2007 13:27:39 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    /Thread bump

As there seem to be a few divers on here I'm after a bit of advice. I'm just about to start my Open Water PADI course and wondered if anyone else is PADI qualified and if so, what did it cost you?

I'm doing the closed water stuff in the UK for 450, and then I'll probably be going to Egypt for the Open Water stuff (Red Sea).
  • pistol 28 Feb 2007 16:15:44 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Any thoughts?
  • DodgyPast 28 Feb 2007 16:42:52 8,414 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Go for it... some beautiful clear seas which will help limit any problems due to claustrophobia.

It's a lot more expensive than where I dive but the decent diving is harder to get to.... plus if you get yourself to advanced there you can dive the thistledorm which is the best wreck I ever dove ( it's up to about 28m )
    It's a WWII supply ship and it's even got a train on it.

I'm actually a qualified divemaster... though lapsed as I haven't worked for a few years.
    Did it and then worked on Koh Tao.

Amasing experience including 42M dives with a bottom time of about 2 minutes... though technically we did cheat and extended it to a very safe decompression dive.... but that was when the pro's went diving rather than the tourists.

You'll love it... it's all about your breathing... keeping it shallow and controlled a bit like meditation, but your drinking in amasing underwater vistas instead of shutting your eyes.

But Shaam is my second favourite spot for diving over the British Virgin Isles... I love Koh Tao more because having worked there I know it inside out and know how to hang out with sharks in the deep blue surrounded by shoals of fish.
  • mr-rick 28 Feb 2007 18:43:47 1,044 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hey DodgyPast, when were you in Koh Tao?

I've been there a few times and my sister lived there for a year.

It's where I learnt to dive and I really loved it. Never quite enjoyed the red sea as much. Although the diving is technically better in the red sea I find the whole sharm experience a bit souless. Much prefered my shack on the beach under the palm trees.
  • DaisyD 28 Feb 2007 19:15:52 11,818 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I went diving for the first time in Fethiye last year ad absolutely loved it!
  • Derblington 28 Feb 2007 19:17:15 21,264 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I got my PADI in Grand Turk a few years ago. Loved it but haven't done it since...
  • DodgyPast 2 Mar 2007 17:27:08 8,414 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mr rick wrote:
    Hey DodgyPast, when were you in Koh Tao?

I've been there a few times and my sister lived there for a year.

It's where I learnt to dive and I really loved it. Never quite enjoyed the red sea as much. Although the diving is technically better in the red sea I find the whole sharm experience a bit souless. Much prefered my shack on the beach under the palm trees.
    about three years ago now, but I normally go back there at least once a year.

Trained with Masterdivers and I lived at Jansom Bay bungalows which is after Sensi at the end of Mae Haad.
  • pistol 16 May 2007 17:02:07 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mentat wrote:
    I'm completing my PADI open water diving course at the weekend... :D

Mentat, how did you get on with the Dive Planner tables? They really did my head in..
  • pistol 16 May 2007 17:05:35 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bill Door wrote:
    Member of the BSAC Trident Dive Club in Hatfield \o/

Website here.

Had my first overseas trip in March, went to one of the Canaries, El Hierro, for a weeks diving. It was ace.

Bill Door. One of my colleagues is BSAC Qualified. Isn't it really designed for cold water diving?
  • pistol 16 May 2007 17:06:31 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    yeah i'm a padi open water diver, learned it in the red sea!

problem is, after learning there, everywhere else i've been diving is dull and grey in comparision.

need to save enough money to go to australia and the great barrier reef one day.

I'm going to the red sea in jan to finish off my Open Water Course.
  • Cuchulainn 20 Aug 2007 11:54:19 845 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just did the confined dives and classroom stuff for my PADI opn water this weekend. Am feeling totally shattered this morning but can't wait for the open water dives in Stoney Cove next weekend. Did it with my fiancee - automatic buddy for the win :)
  • gang_of_bitches 20 Aug 2007 12:02:20 5,442 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Scuba diving is one of the best things I've ever done.

that is all.
  • ScoutTech 20 Aug 2007 12:11:49 2,423 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yep did my SSI training out in Canada. Did my final qualifying dive in 4 degree water down on to a wreck. Was fab! Only prob is I haven't found a group over here to join up with so not done that much :(
  • Alastair 20 Aug 2007 12:41:24 15,422 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I went for a diving medical last week - which I'm glad to say I passed with flying colours. So now I am good to go for my forthcoming trip to the French Riviera. \o/

Got the guy to sign off both a CMAS form and a normal PADI form as it looks like my annual golf trip will be to La Manga, and apparently the Spanish want you to have a cert.

Not as nice as I used to be

• Lexx87 20 Aug 2007 12:42:55 20,869 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shit me I posted this a while back, talking 2005. Whered this come from? Oh well.

Scuba diving FTW!

Speak the truth hussy!

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous